CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Wolfnipplechips 25-02-2021 12:04 AM

The fact that adverts are so well targeted these days.

They seem to be able to pinpoint their target audience with distinction.

chateauferret 25-02-2021 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668432)

Hmmm.

If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

The other thing is that if I buy something that turns out to be shite, and even if I review it somewhere and say that it is shite, I still get targeted with adverts for more of the same stuff. Look, if your product's garbage, I'm not going to buy it again, am I? Actually this still happens even if I return the product and get my money back. I mean FFS.

It's like this.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/838f9...80001dd8b71c47

chateauferret 25-02-2021 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668262)
Along similar lines, I talk to my cousin in England using FaceTime on our iPads quite a lot.

It used to work fine, then suddenly it started cutting us off (or losing connection) about every 10 minutes or so.

My iPad is pretty old now and cannot be updated to latest iOS revision.

A fine example of how Apple's business model works, which is basically to trap you in a world of proprietary standards so that you can only ever use Apple stuff and then they stick a nozzle into your bank account and switch on the vacuum pump.

Google / Chrome is more open that that but their game is to make you put your personal information in the cloud where they can grab it and sell it. Linux still isn't ready for mobile devices and touch screens, unfortunately, and Windoze is simply a pile of bloated excrement with outrageous hardware demands that make it run like a pig on anything small. Android is the lesser of the various evils on these gadgets IMHO.

Hedgehog 25-02-2021 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668487)
Hmmm.

If I buy something expensive, like a computer, say, I am then bombarded with adverts from companies that think "oh, he buys computers, he must want more of them". The funny thing is that once I bought a computer, guess what? I no longer need a computer, at least not for a while.

When I bought my new car in 2018 (Ford) I almost immediately started getting adverts/offers from Ford to buy a new vehicle. To this day I still get them, but now they seem obsessed with me trading it in for a new one (which makes more sense I guess).

Laughable really.

Panther 25-02-2021 09:04 AM

When I look round outside the house not a single deciduous tree has a leaf on it, yet every day a new number of dead leaves turns up in the drains and gutters.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15668488)
A fine example of how Apple's business model works, which is basically to trap you in a world of proprietary standards so that you can only ever use Apple stuff and then they stick a nozzle into your bank account and switch on the vacuum pump.

Google / Chrome is more open that that but their game is to make you put your personal information in the cloud where they can grab it and sell it. Linux still isn't ready for mobile devices and touch screens, unfortunately, and Windoze is simply a pile of bloated excrement with outrageous hardware demands that make it run like a pig on anything small. Android is the lesser of the various evils on these gadgets IMHO.

Man who uses to Google to impress, not impressed with Google selling him things.

chateauferret 25-02-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668494)
When I bought my new car in 2018 (Ford) I almost immediately started getting adverts/offers from Ford to buy a new vehicle. To this day I still get them, but now they seem obsessed with me trading it in for a new one (which makes more sense I guess).

Laughable really.

Oh and in a large organisation about one in a million employees takes decisions about whom to get things like recruitment, training, advertising and software from; and that person invariably sets up framework contracts so that they can be procured at predictable rates and service levels over a period of time, and what's more they select the suppliers using tendering processes. Any idiot knows this.

Yet every day I and all my colleagues are bombarded with E-mail advertising all these things and more by tinpot organisations who wouldn't even prequalify and carefully designed to dodge our spam filters.

Maz 25-02-2021 09:46 AM

Possibly because the vast number of companies in this country are not large organisations.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15668773)
Possibly because the vast number of companies in this country are not large organisations.

Google got it wrong? :sob:

Paulinmorden 25-02-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hmmm.

The other thing is that if I buy something that turns out to be shite, and even if I review it somewhere and say that it is shite, I still get targeted with adverts for more of the same stuff. Look, if your product's garbage, I'm not going to buy it again, am I? Actually this still happens even if I return the product and get my money back. I mean FFS.

It's like this.

Same as at home. We have got uPVC double glazing. Ok it's a few years old but a look at the house shows it's in decent nick but we still get salesmen knocking asking if we want new.

Blind_Eagle 25-02-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15668262)

To compound the issue there is no WhatsApp available for iPads, which was my Plan B.

I know there are other options, but annoying none the less.

Just log into WhatsApp from Safari.

Wolfnipplechips 25-02-2021 11:17 AM

I was taking the piss out of Workdonkey.

Too subtle obviously.;)

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668867)
I was taking the piss out of Workdonkey.

Too subtle obviously.;)

You spread the net too far and started a google storm. You and your "agendas".

brighton_eagle 25-02-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Hmmm.

It's like this.

I've just spent a significant amount on money on a new office chair. I use it all day every day and the last one I bought lasted me 15 years, so I reckon it's something I'm happy to spend a lot on to get something decent.

Now all I see is ads for expensive office chairs.

Maz 25-02-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15668944)
You spread the net too far and started a google storm. You and your "agendas".

Unless I am being whooshed, I should note that 'agenda' is already a plural and can't therefore be further pluralised.

WCB will be proud of me.

Panther 25-02-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15669018)
I've just spent a significant amount on money on a new office chair. I use it all day every day and the last one I bought lasted me 15 years, so I reckon it's something I'm happy to spend a lot on to get something decent.

Now all I see is ads for expensive office chairs.

We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few years later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

brighton_eagle 25-02-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 15669068)
We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few years later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

Specifically not gone for leather for that reason. Plus I'll be shutting the office door when I'm not at work. :)

Worksop Palace 25-02-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15668432)

Very good :D

chateauferret 25-02-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 15669068)
We paid a massive sum for one from John Lewis. A few hours later and its leather arms have been shredded to buggery by the cats.

EFA.

Blind_Eagle 25-02-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15669077)
Specifically not gone for leather for that reason. Plus I'll be shutting the office door when I'm not at work. :)

Id get the leather chair and get rid of the cat.

Win win.