CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

Ridcully 03-03-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito
I know this question may have been asked a billion times but I would rather ask people who use the phone constantly rather than look at a random review. I am seriously considering getting a 16gb iphone. The real problem for me would be battery life.

I work nights so would have the ipod part running for 6 hours every night, I would perhaps have an hour phone call and may want to browse the web during lunch. My question is would the phone be able to handle this or am I looking at it passing out with strain after about 5 hours?

Any replies would be very welcome as I know you are all a very knowledgeable bunch and it is a lot of money for me to potentially spend.

Little chance of getting all of that out of one charge. 3G does kill it the most though so your browse, especially if it has to poll around for a signal will be the biggest problem.

Kevin T 03-03-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito
I know this question may have been asked a billion times but I would rather ask people who use the phone constantly rather than look at a random review. I am seriously considering getting a 16gb iphone. The real problem for me would be battery life.

I work nights so would have the ipod part running for 6 hours every night, I would perhaps have an hour phone call and may want to browse the web during lunch. My question is would the phone be able to handle this or am I looking at it passing out with strain after about 5 hours?

Any replies would be very welcome as I know you are all a very knowledgeable bunch and it is a lot of money for me to potentially spend.

Nothing to do with iphones but when you work nights, do you still call your break 'lunch'? Made me chuckle.

Smoz 04-03-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T
Nothing to do with iphones but when you work nights, do you still call your break 'lunch'? Made me chuckle.


I am working nights this week, I am currently on my meal break :p

GodstoneEagle 04-03-2009 02:13 AM

I have had my 3g iPhone for about 2 weeks now. However when i look to put all my music on it the sync wants to take forever (i mean 10+ hours) and obviously any phone call or whatnot ruins the whole thing. by the same token i don't like being fuera del contacto for that duration of time.

is this normal?

Kevin T 04-03-2009 07:47 AM

I don't remember it taking that long. You got USB2?

Dave 04-03-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle
I have had my 3g iPhone for about 2 weeks now. However when i look to put all my music on it the sync wants to take forever (i mean 10+ hours) and obviously any phone call or whatnot ruins the whole thing. by the same token i don't like being fuera del contacto for that duration of time.

is this normal?

disable backup

Kevin T 04-03-2009 09:10 AM

I have backup enabled and it still didn't take very long. I uploaded about 6GB of music in one hit. I can't remember how long it took - but I think I would have remembered if it was any more than an hour.

Dave 04-03-2009 09:43 AM

Backup won't take long if there isn't an issue.

If that makes sense.

Incognito 04-03-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T
I'd say that's a negative. Although how much of it is the fact that the battery life is crap, and how much of it is that it's just such a cool device that you can't stop playing with it, I don't know :)

It hold's it's charge fine when it's sitting in your pocket doing nothing. I find I just don't charge it in the same way I have done with previous phones. I have a cable at home plugged into my PC, a cable at work and one in my car. Rather than give it one good charge a day, over night or whatever, I just top up throughout the day, depending on where I am. You just learn to manage it.

Thank you for the advice, I may do a bit of further research. I would really like to get one but perhaps another device would suit me better.

We do still call our main break "lunch" we even have a tea break at 04.45 :D

eddieskyclad 04-03-2009 06:48 PM

Haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if this is a widespread problem but over the last 24 hours or so I've been getting a lot of the "Could not activate cellular data network" error messages and haven't been able to access the internet (or any app that uses the internet) at all.

Quite annoying really but is there anything I can do? Resetting the network settings hasn't worked :-/

Dave 04-03-2009 06:56 PM

O2 is ****ed

Oliver V 04-03-2009 07:10 PM

Haven't had it long but have been playing around with the last.fm app and other than it being a decent distraction while on the bus I don't seem to understand why you all rave about it.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but how exactly do I choose a song I'd like to play as opposed to searching for an artist and getting a series of similar sounding ones that I more often than not already have on the ipod part of the phone anyway?

I seem to remember Dave saying somewhere he had his entire music collection on it and that was interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

TonbridgeEagle 04-03-2009 07:16 PM

No mine is okay. Been using various online apps all day long (inc writing this).

Dave 04-03-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Varcoe
Haven't had it long but have been playing around with the last.fm app and other than it being a decent distraction while on the bus I don't seem to understand why you all rave about it.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but how exactly do I choose a song I'd like to play as opposed to searching for an artist and getting a series of similar sounding ones that I more often than not already have on the ipod part of the phone anyway?

I seem to remember Dave saying somewhere he had his entire music collection on it and that was interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

The last.fm similar artists is what I enjoy on the jesus phone.

What you seem to be looking for is like spotify but on the iphone.

Kevin T 04-03-2009 07:57 PM

I find last fm doesn't work too well. Keeps telling me it doesn't have sufficient content.

Kevin T 04-03-2009 07:58 PM

Also had no connectivity problems today.

PalaceMonkey 05-03-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
Do you love your iPhone but hate iTunes? Now there is an alternative, that works brilliantly with Vista.

You will need to download the latest version of winamp (free version) and get the 3.08 (or higher) ml_ipod plugin.

Then it's just a question of dragging and dropping mp3 files (or whatever) onto your IPhone 3g. You can create and edit playlists; change the order of tracks; add or delete tracks; copy files from your iPhone to your PC etc etc. When you are done, simply click on 'Eject' to sync with your iPhone and you are done!


Thanks for this.
Downloaded them last night, great to use :p

James Melody 05-03-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
O2 is ****ed

To be honest the only network in the UK with worthwhile 3G access is Vodafone.

Axie 05-03-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
O2 is ****ed

I thought it was me last night - I'm not in a 3G area and I kept getting cannot connect to cellular network messages. Restore network settings, rebooted no difference.

Mal Adjusted 05-03-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Melody
To be honest the only network in the UK with worthwhile 3G access is Vodafone.

I wish I knew that before I ported my number from VF to 02 and got an iphone.

There have been times this week when I'd have been quicker getting a taxi to the nearest internet cafe.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.