CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Palace Dollies (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222443)

ian king 28-02-2005 11:01 PM

Palace Dollies

Have recently met one of the ladies involved in setting up the Palace Dollies in early 1969, they first appeared at the home game on 1st March.

Who else remembers them from home games over the next four seasons or so and does anybody know if any of them still watch Palace or has contact.

I have a list of about 20 names from 1969-71 and being the club's centenary year a reunion has been suggested

GloverUK 28-02-2005 11:34 PM

I still remember them lining up as the teams came out. Palace shirts and white skirts, with white socks and shoes. They presented Bobby Charlton with a bouquet of flowers as he led MU out.

Also aon the final game of the season against Fulham when we came up. i remember them then as well.

Never knew any names though

Hedgehog 28-02-2005 11:44 PM

There is a picture here: http://gallery.cpfc.org/Nostalgia?page=8

ian king 28-02-2005 11:57 PM

Thanks Hedgehog. I've got that one and a few others from programmes of that time. Have gathered quite a bit of info about the setting up and running of the Dollies.

ammiller 01-03-2005 06:02 AM

Ian,

Do you have the names of the 2 nearest in that photo?

Dorking .Eagle 01-03-2005 09:09 AM

I think Sue Head was their "leader" (Bert Head's wife)

ian king 01-03-2005 11:55 AM

Sue Head (Bert's daughter) was in charge of the Palace Ladies Football Team a 'spin-off' from and seperate from The Dollies.

ammiller - Will check the photo, scratch my memory and reply later

El Aguila 01-03-2005 11:58 AM

A mod! Cool, Danny Butterfield haircut.

Henfield Eagle 01-03-2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ammiller
Ian,

Do you have the names of the 2 nearest in that photo?

Sue Head was Bert's daughter and worked in the office at the club.
One of the Dollies was Irene Sampson,her friend was Sue Thornton who had a brother(Jim ?) or two that used to frequent the Holmesdale and some aways with all the usual suspects, warren,wright,Johnny Miles,Lionel,Ian ?? Blah blah
Another Dollie was Carol ?? from Upper Norwood,without doubt the best looker :love:

Rob Fox 01-03-2005 07:28 PM

I remember them drinking in my local, The Ship in South Norwood around that time.

I accidently knocked someone at the bar one night, I aplogised by saying 'sorry mate!', and then realised it was a Palace Dolly!!!!:o

Granada allover 01-03-2005 07:54 PM

Me and my mate had a big thing about Carol Baird - she's on one of the photos in Hedgehog's thread. Affections were so strong that I even took her to a reserve match without my mate knowing. I'll never forget walking round an almost deserted, spooky Selhurst summoning up the courage to smack her one.

:love:

ian king 01-03-2005 10:25 PM

Where do I begin - Seems Carol Baird was a popular girl - add me to the list!

Irene Sampson (note that Henfield Eagle) is the Dolly in a pic that shows with her white 'briefs' saying 'Up the Palace'

The pic in Gallery shows John Sewell handing out/receiving a gift at the Fulham game. The pic comes from the programme for the friendly v Morton on 2nd May 1969. (This prog also has other pics taken at the end and afterwards).

The blonde girl in this pic (with the headband) is Sue King (no relation) who was Deputy Head Dolly but I am still working on the names of the next two shaking hands with John (inc the 'mod' girl). I think it is Shirley Saville who is half-obscured by Sewell's face who was the Chairman of the Ladies Section of the Supporters Club (with two others) got the Dollies 'off the ground'.

Behind John's shoulder are first Irene Sampson and then Shiela Smith who was the first Head Dolly (and then lived two roads away from me in Streatham)

Sue Head first started as Receptionist at SP and then became Bert's Secretary

moverman 01-03-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ian king
[B I think it is Shirley Saville who is half-obscured by Sewell's face who was the Chairman of the Ladies Section of the Supporters Club (with two others) got the Dollies 'off the ground'.

[/B]
Not Shirley Johnson, Ian?

James 01-03-2005 10:47 PM

Janice and Lesley Bishop were also Dollies in the 1960's. Their dad, Bob Bishop, was a Director (and former player - Goal Keeper). I sat next to Janice for a few years after I joined the Vice President's Club in 1979 (the Burnley promotion year).

I last met Bob Bishop about 10 years ago at Lingfield Racecourse.

AJ 01-03-2005 11:08 PM

So how many of them are currently under 50? Time passes quickly doesn't it?

ian king 01-03-2005 11:17 PM

Mary Wilson (not Shirley) was Chairman of the newly formed Ladies Section, Chris Smith was Secretary and Shirley Saville was the Treasurer (misread my notes). Dollies had to be between the ages of 15 and 19 (so yes most (especially the first ones) would be over 50 now - like me)

Henfield Eagle 02-03-2005 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
Janice and Lesley Bishop were also Dollies in the 1960's. Their dad, Bob Bishop, was a Director (and former player - Goal Keeper). I sat next to Janice for a few years after I joined the Vice President's Club in 1979 (the Burnley promotion year).

I last met Bob Bishop about 10 years ago at Lingfield Racecourse.

I remember the Bishop sisters,they lived in Shirley I think.
Carol Baird lived in Beauchamp road :love:

Granada allover 02-03-2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Henfield Eagle
Carol Baird lived in Beauchamp road :love:
Seeing as how we were all clearly cuckolded by THE Palace Dolly, the least we should know is - where is she now?

ian king 02-03-2005 05:25 PM

Carol aaah!! My 1970 diary has her house number and telephone number!!

It is Shirley Saville not Johnson. All Palace material (progs "Palace" etc.) says Shirley Saville. Unfortunately I understand she has now passed away.

Henfield Eagle 02-03-2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ian king
Carol aaah!! My 1970 diary has her house number and telephone number!!

It is Shirley Saville not Johnson. All Palace material (progs "Palace" etc.) says Shirley Saville. Unfortunately I understand she has now passed away.

43 or 45 from memory???????????