CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

eagle101 12-11-2017 04:15 PM

They only put the notch in the iPhone X screen so that they can remove it for the 11, right?

andyocpfc 13-11-2017 05:05 PM

Does anyone use a form or know how to block bastard pop up sale scammers?

My nearly 3 year old daughter plays on my iPhone 7 using Youtube but occasionally it goes into a sales safari and then gets pop ups. She then clicks okay and before I know it Iím signed up and being charged for a subscription service. Iíve had a go at Vodaphone as IMO it should take a lot more than one click of Ďokayí to subscribe (eg password, finger touch etc). They claim no responsibility although they are the ones charging me.

Is there a setting or an app that can stop pop up sales scammers?

Galo 13-11-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle101 (Post 13940022)
They only put the notch in the iPhone X screen so that they can remove it for the 11, right?

Hopefully.

Isle of Wight 13-11-2017 07:01 PM

Why DO they have that?

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-11-2017 08:58 PM

well, since the 11.1 update things have improved considerably thank goodness

TopKnot 13-11-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE (Post 13941557)
well, since the 11.1 update things have improved considerably thank goodness

Yes battery life is back to normal again!

orp pisshead1 14-11-2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 13941820)
Yes battery life is back to normal again!

Phew did wonder why the battery suddenly dropped quickly. Got iPhone 7 yesterday and got to wait 24 hours before I can use iTunes/apps because the previous main email addy isnít used at all anymore and Iíve forgot password :jerkit::wallbash: and cant retrieve it from that email address :D. Hopefully itíll be sorted later today.

montstar 15-11-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fang (Post 13939611)
This is a bit off topic but does relate to an iPhone.

Has anyone incurred charges on their monthly bill for calls they never made? My monthly bill on my personal phone (not used for work) rarely exceeds £20. This month it is £250 and is directly attributable to a single, continuous, 2 hour call Vodafone claim was made to a college in the USA. I didn't make this call, in fact I've never used this phone to call the US. The phone was in my possession throughout the day and the number dialled is not in my contacts.

I'm going through the disputes process and want to take my complaint to the Ombudsman. Vodafone have made two unsolicited offers of a 20% and then 50% reduction in the bill. They say they can't offer an explanation because their system says the call was made and that the Ombudsman will base any judgement on this evidence. This is the third security related issue I have had with Vodafone. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Its well worth using a website called resolver they wil help with offciail letters and tracking cases there is even a list of the right nos to call if you need to so your not passed round switchboards etc free to use and really good!.

Ive used them twice not for your issue but I think you may find them useful :p

hth

eagle101 25-11-2017 06:23 PM

Has anyone bought a refurbished/second hand iPhone for a good price?

The brand new prices are eye watering, but considering the likes of Music Magpie/Envirofone. Not sure I trust the likes of Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree!

Kylie_Tracey 25-11-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle101 (Post 13958242)
Has anyone bought a refurbished/second hand iPhone for a good price?

The brand new prices are eye watering, but considering the likes of Music Magpie/Envirofone. Not sure I trust the likes of Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree!

just taken a look at Envirophone would love another 6s+ as mine got nicked earlier this year, a 64g is over £400 sadly.

El Aguila 25-11-2017 08:26 PM

My kids have refurbs. Seem absolutely fine.

Adlerhorst 05-12-2017 12:03 PM

The X is brilliant.

That I seem to accidentally have (and paid for) two of them is less brilliant

fang 05-12-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montstar (Post 13943818)
Its well worth using a website called resolver they wil help with offciail letters and tracking cases there is even a list of the right nos to call if you need to so your not passed round switchboards etc free to use and really good!.

Ive used them twice not for your issue but I think you may find them useful :p

hth


Only just seen this, thanks. Latest news is their deadlock team have cancelled two calls to me saying they are waiting for further information from another department. I think I will try and approach the ombudsman directly.

Isle of Wight 01-01-2018 10:10 AM

ignore i found the answer

1905 01-01-2018 11:38 AM

Anyone else have the iphone 6 (not S) and upgraded to ios11? If so, how have you found it?

Have seen news about battery drain/lag etc on ios11 for some older models like the 6, so trying to decide if i should stick with ios 10.3.3 or not.

knowlesyUCLA 01-01-2018 12:02 PM

Replacement batteries now £25 via Apple directly

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/app...le-now-2866941

1905 01-01-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knowlesyUCLA (Post 14024168)
Replacement batteries now £25 via Apple directly

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/app...le-now-2866941

Saw that, also i just ran battery life check on my iphone 6 and my battery wear for my 3 year old phone is only 9% and it seems that recommendations is you should consider replacing the battery if it goes over 30% wear.

Still does not really help me decide if i should go from ios10 to 11 due to the "slowing down" factor on older models like the 6. Not sure if its a blanket slowing down no matter the state of your battery, or almost no slowdown if you have low battery wear level like mine.

CT_Palace 01-01-2018 02:23 PM

I have one of the first iPhone 6 (not sure how old that makes it but it was bought in the first month they came out) and the app suggested by 1905 (thanks for that) shows 14% battery wear. I have kept it updated with every iOS update. I have noticed a couple of apps seem a bit sluggish - particularly WhatsApp on opening the app, but to be honest nothing I'm overly concerned about.

Heb 7:4 01-01-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1905 (Post 14024232)
Saw that, also i just ran battery life check on my iphone 6 and my battery wear for my 3 year old phone is only 9% and it seems that recommendations is you should consider replacing the battery if it goes over 30% wear.

Still does not really help me decide if i should go from ios10 to 11 due to the "slowing down" factor on older models like the 6. Not sure if its a blanket slowing down no matter the state of your battery, or almost no slowdown if you have low battery wear level like mine.

I'm on a 6, with 24% battery wear. Will get the battery replaced with Apple's new discount. Still on ios10 as no advantage upgrading.

mcmean 04-01-2018 04:50 PM

Is it just me or are these phones getting too big? I had the 6, but recently got an SE 64gb off eBay brand new for a stupidly cheap price. Perfect

mcmean 04-01-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1905 (Post 14024232)
Saw that, also i just ran battery life check on my iphone 6 and my battery wear for my 3 year old phone is only 9% and it seems that recommendations is you should consider replacing the battery if it goes over 30% wear.

Still does not really help me decide if i should go from ios10 to 11 due to the "slowing down" factor on older models like the 6. Not sure if its a blanket slowing down no matter the state of your battery, or almost no slowdown if you have low battery wear level like mine.

Thanks for the link - just checked and my iPad is 18% battery wear, and new phone is 1%. No worries for me then

gadford4th 04-01-2018 05:23 PM

ooof, 42% battery wear on my 5s. I have had it for 4 years or something so I shouldn't be surprised

Blind_Eagle 04-01-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 14024529)
I have one of the first iPhone 6 (not sure how old that makes it but it was bought in the first month they came out) and the app suggested by 1905 (thanks for that) shows 14% battery wear. I have kept it updated with every iOS update. I have noticed a couple of apps seem a bit sluggish - particularly WhatsApp on opening the app, but to be honest nothing I'm overly concerned about.

I got my iPhone 6 on launch day in the UK and until the recent updates itís been great and Iíve generally only charged it every other day and itís been fine - unless Iíve been out in the middle of nowhere shooting or fishing where thereís been no mobile or WiFi signal, when it invariably dies if I forget to put it in aircraft mode - but since the latest iOS updates, if itís a really cold day then it will go from roughly 20% battery to dead in a matter of minutes. If I then shove the phone in my pocket to warm it up, ten minutes later i can restart it and Iíve got a working phone again.

HTF Apple think this is a better customer experience is beyond me. Itís really pissing me off as, at this time of year, Iím outside most days whatever the temperature and, come to use the poxy phone to say when Iíll be back and it just dies. I hope Apple do the decent thing and reduce the price for a battery replacement in the U.K. but when I looked a couple of days ago there was nothing on their U.K. website.

Hedgehog 06-01-2018 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 14024529)
I have one of the first iPhone 6 (not sure how old that makes it but it was bought in the first month they came out) and the app suggested by 1905 (thanks for that) shows 14% battery wear. I have kept it updated with every iOS update. I have noticed a couple of apps seem a bit sluggish - particularly WhatsApp on opening the app, but to be honest nothing I'm overly concerned about.


Have you taken a look more than once? I ran that battery life app this morning at it said 17%. I just took another look and it said 23%. Iím not sure why the fluctuation within a few hours.

CT_Palace 06-01-2018 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14035589)
Have you taken a look more than once? I ran that battery life app this morning at it said 17%. I just took another look and it said 23%. Iím not sure why the fluctuation within a few hours.

Still showing 14%

Hedgehog 06-01-2018 03:41 AM

Back to 17% now... odd.

Away 09-02-2018 01:36 PM

iphone users
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just bought a second hand 6s and the battery life app is showing

Attachment 50195

Have I lucked out or does the phone need to go through a few cycles before getting an accurate measure??

Edit: on the 'wear level' screen it says 1%

Ridcully 10-02-2018 10:06 PM

A lot of 6s phones got free new battery...mine did so could explain it

TopKnot 21-02-2018 07:44 PM

If you are planning on going through Apple to get your battery replaced under the new shiney £25 discounted offer, be careful...

I arranged for my 6s to have the battery replaced, they did the diagnostic and I sent it off to the repair centre after paying the fee. Checked the status today and they have flagged that there is a fault with the speaker (that is literally all the info supplied) and the repair cost was now £260.

They refused to replace the battery unless I paid the full amount to fix something that I neither noticed nor wanted fixed, saying that they have to fix every fault they find if a phone goes in regardless of what the customer wanted doing to it. Obviously I told them to send it back and I’ll get the battery replaced by a third party shop.

montstar 22-02-2018 07:50 PM

did my daughters last week no probs at all , but as i dropped it off in the evening I had to pick it up next day :)

Hedgehog 04-03-2018 04:47 PM

Both my wife's and my iPhone received calls from our own numbers this morning. Neither of us answered the calls, and no messages were left.

Did a quick Google search, and it appears it could be another scam attempt. Advises not to answer the call as if you do it can lock into the number for future use or something like that.

Our phone numbers are consecutive, so a robocall devise may have been going through a sequence of numbers.

Anyone else had experience of this happening?

Isle of Wight 10-04-2019 06:22 PM

This used to be a hot thread which shows how much Apple has fallen behind with the last post being in 2018 but I do have a question. Why doesn’t the iPhone close a website when you ask it ? I end up every month doing a clean up to close all the 100s of open tabs. Why? You don’t do that on a Mac why on a phone?

LLCOOLSTEVE 10-04-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14723165)
This used to be a hot thread which shows how much Apple has fallen behind with the last post being in 2018 but I do have a question. Why doesnít the iPhone close a website when you ask it ? I end up every month doing a clean up to close all the 100s of open tabs. Why? You donít do that on a Mac why on a phone?

Mine closes them if I ask it.....if you mean on safari, just press the little x on the top left corner

Isle of Wight 10-04-2019 06:31 PM

If you open a web page there isn’t an x so you press the home button. To go and do something else then the open tabs all pile up and you have to close each one or nuke them all

Tomo 12-04-2019 06:59 AM

If I finish a page, I just click bottom right window page then close it.

Not that hard is it?

Trist 12-04-2019 07:45 AM

The battery on my iPhone 7 and my wifes are both knackered. Is the best best replacing them at an apple store? Looks like it's £45 each.

andyocpfc 12-04-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trist (Post 14724217)
The battery on my iPhone 7 and my wifes are both knackered. Is the best best replacing them at an apple store? Looks like it's £45 each.

I took my 7 to a place in Crawley recently and they supplied and fitted a new one for £30. Been good as gold since.

Isle of Wight 12-04-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 14724208)
If I finish a page, I just click bottom right window page then close it.

Not that hard is it?

Haha haha in all these years I have never thought of doing it that way. Rep sent :)

Tomo 12-04-2019 08:58 AM

Ha.

Sorry, I realised that may have come across a bit sarcy but that wasn't my intention. Enjoy!

LLCOOLSTEVE 13-04-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 14724208)
If I finish a page, I just click bottom right window page then close it.

Not that hard is it?



Thatís exactly what I meant too :)

Isle of Wight 25-04-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 14724208)
If I finish a page, I just click bottom right window page then close it.

Not that hard is it?

Been playing with this a couple of weeks now and it still bugs me. Why do I have to go to box bottom right then hit the X why canít the simply allow you to hit the X in the first place and shut the window? How does android do it? And my god Siri is a pile of crap. Not as bad as bixby but still shocking. Google and Alexa are streaks ahead

Custard Pie 25-04-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14724243)
I took my 7 to a place in Crawley recently and they supplied and fitted a new one for £30. Been good as gold since.

I agree. Took my 5 year old iphone 5S to a place called "ismash" in Brighton (I know, I know) and they replaced the battery for £40. Takes half an hour.
They made a half-hearted attempt to upsale a couple of things but a polite no thanks was enough.

First charge gave me 3 days of battery - undreamed of luxury.

Brett 26-04-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 14125158)
If you are planning on going through Apple to get your battery replaced under the new shiney £25 discounted offer, be careful...

I arranged for my 6s to have the battery replaced, they did the diagnostic and I sent it off to the repair centre after paying the fee. Checked the status today and they have flagged that there is a fault with the speaker (that is literally all the info supplied) and the repair cost was now £260.

They refused to replace the battery unless I paid the full amount to fix something that I neither noticed nor wanted fixed, saying that they have to fix every fault they find if a phone goes in regardless of what the customer wanted doing to it. Obviously I told them to send it back and Iíll get the battery replaced by a third party shop.

Post-Steve Jobs Apple, sadly. A c*nt of a company.

Isle of Wight 26-04-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 14741598)
Post-Steve Jobs Apple, sadly. A c*nt of a company.

Sadly true. I have 18 months left on my contract and my son keeps showing me all this cool stuff on his new Galaxy. As soon as its renewal time I'm off.
Funny enough my final straw was nothing to do with phones but the Apple printing service. Each year for the last 10 I made an Iphoto calendar and made 4 copies to send to family. I also made another 6 or so with Vista or Bonus print. The Apple ones where better quality and cost £25 a pop vrs £5. But I was happy to pay it for the Grandparents. This year they have sold the printing to some other company £50 a calendar they wanted :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: **** off you greedy bastards. Q some slightly disappointed Grandparents, but at least they got a printed mug as well to make up for it for less than the orginal £25

andyocpfc 26-04-2019 12:12 PM

I've just bought myself a new Android tablet and it's the first Android phone/tab I've ever used as always had iphones/ipads. I'm just finding more and more (especially as I'm into streaming), the restrictions with Apple are becoming more and more annoying. I'm quite pleased with the new Android tab and can see me putting the iPad way to gather dust.

Isle of Wight 26-04-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14741656)
I've just bought myself a new Android tablet and it's the first Android phone/tab I've ever used as always had iphones/ipads. I'm just finding more and more (especially as I'm into streaming), the restrictions with Apple are becoming more and more annoying. I'm quite pleased with the new Android tab and can see me putting the iPad way to gather dust.

Interesting as I posted about tablets on another thread and it was a distinct Ipad all the way know one else is close. I had a look at the Surface 10" on Tuesday and it looked great. Same price but with a keyboard etc. I use my Ipad for the odd app but mainly for media. I do add films but now Iplayer Now TV etch all support downloads havent added a film for ages. What I am getting fed up with is each IOS upgrade that I get suckered into performing, for whatever reason, slows the thing down more and more

andyocpfc 26-04-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14741681)
Interesting as I posted about tablets on another thread and it was a distinct Ipad all the way know one else is close. I had a look at the Surface 10" on Tuesday and it looked great. Same price but with a keyboard etc. I use my Ipad for the odd app but mainly for media. I do add films but now Iplayer Now TV etch all support downloads havent added a film for ages. What I am getting fed up with is each IOS upgrade that I get suckered into performing, for whatever reason, slows the thing down more and more


Yep, thatís the thing. My iPad is quite a few years old now and is slow sluggish which it never was before. Iíve done a full factory reset and still the same. It was great when i first got it. I went into the Apple store to look at the big ones recently but youíre looking at a £1000 to get a decent one. I donít know if the Android tab will also go slow In the future (like they make Apple products) but itís great for what I paid for it (refurb from Argos). More so the fact I can do and download/sideload what I want.

Isle of Wight 26-04-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14741714)
Yep, thatís the thing. My iPad is quite a few years old now and is slow sluggish which it never was before. Iíve done a full factory reset and still the same. It was great when i first got it. I went into the Apple store to look at the big ones recently but youíre looking at a £1000 to get a decent one. I donít know if the Android tab will also go slow In the future (like they make Apple products) but itís great for what I paid for it (refurb from Argos). More so the fact I can do and download/sideload what I want.

what one did you get?

andyocpfc 26-04-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14741736)
what one did you get?

I got one of these as the projector intrigued me and it's decent. Time will tell of course as it might turn to a sack of shit after a while but as an intro into Android it does what i want. I only paid £275 for the refurb. It's a shame it doesn't run on a newer Android version though although I'm hopeful with updates they might bring one out. It's a gazzilion times better than my old iPad is though. iOS is slick, but immensely restrictive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-YOGA...18026785&psc=1

Isle of Wight 31-05-2019 06:05 PM

Ok they have f65ked me up AGAIN. It miraculously did an auto update last night. Again another bloody moan that they keep trying to make you do it by changing which button to press. Now the films I have ripped from my DVDs have gone. I donít want to buy shit from them I downy want to subscribe to their shorty service I just want to see my films ...........:veryangry Sorry for the outburst but can anyone help I canít find them in the new Apple TV app. Google has been no help . Thanks

Isle of Wight 31-05-2019 06:45 PM

Ignore that I found the answer. Again for some reason the update deleted my films I simple had to ad them back and a new drop down of downloads appeared like it was in the old app phew

Hedgehog 26-07-2019 06:54 PM

These thing are getting far to smart for their own good to the point of being patronizing...

My wife and I go every Thursday to a certain area that has various restaurants one after the other withing a short walking distance of each other.

As I get in the car to drive over there yesterday evening my phone pings and a Maps message pops up saying it is going to take 8 minutes to get to ***** street.

I'm 99% sure I did nothing to activate this, so can only assume the damn thing has been learning our habits... bloody talk about Big Brother!

Do I really need to be told in is going to take 8 minutes to get to somewhere I'm very familiar with... surly this is just the phone showing off!

bradpitt 26-07-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14840315)
These thing are getting far to smart for their own good to the point of being patronizing...

My wife and I go every Thursday to a certain area that has various restaurants one after the other withing a short walking distance of each other.

As I get in the car to drive over there yesterday evening my phone pings and a Maps message pops up saying it is going to take 8 minutes to get to ***** street.

I'm 99% sure I did nothing to activate this, so can only assume the damn thing has been learning our habits... bloody talk about Big Brother!

Do I really need to be told in is going to take 8 minutes to get to somewhere I'm very familiar with... surly this is just the phone showing off!

Yep, mine does the same when I go to the gym, the times I go do vary, but it always seems to know, it's a bit weird.

RAB 26-07-2019 08:51 PM

GPS tracking.

I think this can be 'silenced' in Settings but then you'll get prompts if you use maps and other apps like transport e.g. trains, buses etc.

I saw the other day that Alexa stores for all time, every conversation while switched on. Amazon say everything is incripted and data protected but is never deleted!

Big Brother indeed.

Ardent Eagle Forever 26-07-2019 09:27 PM

CIA spying device.

Hedgehog 28-07-2019 12:58 AM

I have a question about the Calendar on the iPhone. Looked up my question on Google, and not really seeing a definitive answer.

I downloaded from an airline my ticket/flight information to my calendar. I noticed that the return trip is showing the departure time in my time zone here, not the local time where I will be when taking this flight, i.e. there is a 3 hour time difference, and the flight is at 4:30pm local time, but shows on my calendar as 7:30pm.

Question: Does this automatically adjust to the correct local time when you are actually in that time zone?

I'm sure with so many worldly travelers on the BBS, someone would have experienced this before.

Adlerhorst 28-07-2019 06:14 AM

I don’t use the calendar on my phone, but can check this for you next week if you like

Hedgehog 28-07-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14841846)
I donít use the calendar on my phone, but can check this for you next week if you like

:p I was rather hoping you would see this, as I thought you were a good candidate to have an answer with all the traveling you do.

I'm not flying until the second week in September, so if you think of it, I would love to know how it works.

Actually I'm starting to wonder if it is an American Airlines error/glitch rather than the iPhone calendar. The outward journey seems to account for the time difference, but not the homeward flight.

in-exile 28-07-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14841793)
I have a question about the Calendar on the iPhone. Looked up my question on Google, and not really seeing a definitive answer.

I downloaded from an airline my ticket/flight information to my calendar. I noticed that the return trip is showing the departure time in my time zone here, not the local time where I will be when taking this flight, i.e. there is a 3 hour time difference, and the flight is at 4:30pm local time, but shows on my calendar as 7:30pm.

Question: Does this automatically adjust to the correct local time when you are actually in that time zone?

I'm sure with so many worldly travelers on the BBS, someone would have experienced this before.

Would be an obvious convenience ......... Our company software does something similar with flights and flight times.

El Aguila 28-07-2019 07:53 AM

It does adjust to the time zone you’re in. It will be correct when you’re at your destination.

Hedgehog 28-07-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 14841885)
It does adjust to the time zone youíre in. It will be correct when youíre at your destination.

Thanks I guess we will find out when the time comes.

Being a bit cynical, anyone who relies on the calendar on their phone to be reminded when their flight is, probably deserves to miss the flight!

Brummie Allan 31-07-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14842483)
Thanks I guess we will find out when the time comes.

Being a bit cynical, anyone who relies on the calendar on their phone to be reminded when their flight is, probably deserves to miss the flight!

My son did the 9am and 9pm mistake once, don't know where the fault was but he missed the plane by 12 hrs.

Hedgehog 31-07-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brummie Allan (Post 14849543)
My son did the 9am and 9pm mistake once, don't know where the fault was but he missed the plane by 12 hrs.

I hope it doesn't run in the family.

Guess the good new is he only had to wait 12 hours for the next one.

Brummie Allan 01-08-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14849574)
I hope it doesn't run in the family.

Guess the good new is he only had to wait 12 hours for the next one.

Yes but it cost him.

Hedgehog 05-08-2019 02:41 AM

Asking for a friend... if you drop an iPhone, or any phone for that matter, in the toilet, the sea or a swimming pool, does placing it covered in rice over night really fix it/save it, or is this an urban myth?

Yogya 05-08-2019 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14856842)
Asking for a friend... if you drop an iPhone, or any phone for that matter, in the toilet, the sea or a swimming pool, does placing it covered in rice over night really fix it/save it, or is this an urban myth?

It absorbs the water, but chances are that the electronics will have shorted already unless it is one of the newer so called water proof versions

Hedgehog 05-08-2019 05:16 AM

I'll update you in the morning after a night in the rice.

Sorry... my friend will update you in the morning!

Hedgehog 05-08-2019 08:04 PM

Well, after sitting in rice overnight the screen is dead, and I can't get a dial tone. Plus it is rattling so I think rice got inside!

I think that myth has been busted.

PALACEWU 05-08-2019 08:18 PM

Dial tone? **** I'd forgotten about such things!

Hedgehog 05-08-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 14859351)
Dial tone? **** I'd forgotten about such things!

Yep, the rotary dial keeps getting jammed also...

fang 05-08-2019 09:29 PM

Just got an iPhone 7. The sound quality on phone calls is much poorer than my previous 5c and it seems to be a common problem with 7s. Any ideas on how to improve it?

Isle of Wight 05-08-2019 10:22 PM

Thought it was just me Ive got and 8 and its poor for reception and call quality compered to my previous Iphones

fang 06-08-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14859729)
Thought it was just me Ive got and 8 and its poor for reception and call quality compered to my previous Iphones

I haven't noticed any problems with reception, just the sound quality, which is tinny, dull, with a touch of reverb thrown in for good measure. It seems to be ok on wifi/internet calls.

keithywonder 06-08-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14859729)
Thought it was just me Ive got and 8 and its poor for reception and call quality compered to my previous Iphones

Same here, terrible reception. Thought it was carrier (Virgin), invariably I end up using my landline

Brummie Allan 06-08-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14859303)
Well, after sitting in rice overnight the screen is dead, and I can't get a dial tone. Plus it is rattling so I think rice got inside!

I think that myth has been busted.

I can't get dial tone???? did you ever have a dial tone? Mine worked after a rice repair, after it had a very quick dip. Only problem was rice stuck in the charging hole which I think had expanded with the moisture and was hard to get out. How can rice get inside your friends phone???

Isle of Wight 06-08-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithywonder (Post 14860943)
Same here, terrible reception. Thought it was carrier (Virgin), invariably I end up using my landline

Funny thing is if we are out and I have anything less than 3 bars I use my wifeís 15 year old Nokia candy bar. 10 times better sound and reception :(

fang 06-08-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14861268)
Funny thing is if we are out and I have anything less than 3 bars I use my wifeís 15 year old Nokia candy bar. 10 times better sound and reception :(

Sorry, I mistook 'reception' as the ability to receive calls, which is not a problem for me. The quality of 'reception' is indeed crap. Iirc, my 5 was unable to receive 4g. The 7 does. Is this a factor?

Isle of Wight 06-08-2019 11:41 AM

No you are right I can get them but the bars AND the quality are shite. Nokia candy bars are the future ;)

stinky 06-08-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fang (Post 14859564)
Just got an iPhone 7. The sound quality on phone calls is much poorer than my previous 5c and it seems to be a common problem with 7s. Any ideas on how to improve it?

Yeah, stop buying iPhones.

stinky 06-08-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14861268)
Funny thing is if we are out and I have anything less than 3 bars I use my wifeís 15 year old Nokia candy bar. 10 times better sound and reception :(

It's almost as if iPhones are wildly overrated.

Hedgehog 06-08-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brummie Allan (Post 14861190)
I can't get dial tone???? did you ever have a dial tone? Mine worked after a rice repair, after it had a very quick dip. Only problem was rice stuck in the charging hole which I think had expanded with the moisture and was hard to get out. How can rice get inside your friends phone???

It was actually a cordless land line phone not a mobile that went in the water, hence the dial tone.

The rice got inside went rocket scientist here took the batteries out and left the battery cover off thinking it would be good for the rice to dry out that area, but now I (ops... my friend) looks at it there are areas where the rice can get inside the phones workings.

It's actually working this morning (switches on and off, has a dial tone and can call out and receive calls), only issue is the little screen is not functioning, although lights up.

Adlerhorst 06-08-2019 05:21 PM

By the way the time zone thing worked

Hedgehog 06-08-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14862074)
By the way the time zone thing worked


Great, thanks for checking, especially as you say you donít use the calendar App. [emoji106]

Hedgehog 07-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14861941)
It was actually a cordless land line phone not a mobile that went in the water, hence the dial tone.

The rice got inside went rocket scientist here took the batteries out and left the battery cover off thinking it would be good for the rice to dry out that area, but now I (ops... my friend) looks at it there are areas where the rice can get inside the phones workings.

It's actually working this morning (switches on and off, has a dial tone and can call out and receive calls), only issue is the little screen is not functioning, although lights up.

Now the screen is actually working... guess it dried out.

I may reassess this rice myth. I think it's get some merit, although I do wonder if just letting the phone sit for a few days would have the same affect.

LLCOOLSTEVE 05-09-2019 08:31 PM

New iPhone launch next Tuesday

Release on the 20th

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 07-09-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE (Post 14908422)
New iPhone launch next Tuesday

Release on the 20th


From what I have seen online the '11' seems a relatively small increment. I am hoping that it pushes X's down the price scale as I will be changing handset soon.

1905 09-09-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe (Post 14909408)
From what I have seen online the '11' seems a relatively small increment. I am hoping that it pushes X's down the price scale as I will be changing handset soon.

Indeed, looks like allot more worthwhile changes will be around for the 12 release next year (not least 5G) - still happy with the 8 at the moment.

Smoz 10-09-2019 07:53 PM

Slightly improved camera, slightly improved processor, slightly improved battery life. Yawn, seems like that’s been the case for about the last three years. Think I will stick with my 6s plus for another year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/10...ne-11-pro-max/

Ridcully 10-09-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz (Post 14912524)
Slightly improved camera, slightly improved processor, slightly improved battery life. Yawn, seems like thatís been the case for about the last three years. Think I will stick with my 6s plus for another year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/10...ne-11-pro-max/

The X is a step above but this is meh!

Imajica 10-09-2019 10:03 PM

Have to agree, I went from a 6plus to the X and really feel the difference. No point upgrading version to version now, can wait 3 to 4 upgrades before making it worth the jump

Fatboy 10-09-2019 10:08 PM

Wonder if James has finished drooling yet?
:)

Galo 10-09-2019 10:51 PM

Not 5G :jerkit:

Blind_Eagle 12-09-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galo (Post 14912739)
Not 5G :jerkit:

Which network actually offers 5G in St Albans?

Smoz 12-09-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 14914073)
Which network actually offers 5G in St Albans?

No 5G means that I wonít be going for a new iPhone this time around. Not because I always want the newest and best, quite the opposite in fact, but because I hold onto my phones for a few years I donít want to splash out on a new handset which will be outdated in a couple of years time. For those who upgrade every year or so then I agree that lack of 5G isnít a problem though.

Going to hold onto my four year old 6s plus for another year.

NO1FAN 13-09-2019 07:38 AM

I tend to upgrade every other year and currently have the iPhone X. Lack of 5G means I won’t bother this year though

LLCOOLSTEVE 15-09-2019 08:17 PM

Im upgrading to the 11, simply cause I have the 7, its paid off and the phone now overheats and battery life is crap. Can still get £135 for it too if I sell it now.

LDNEAGLE 15-09-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 14914073)
Which network actually offers 5G in St Albans?

EE, Vodafone and very soon to join will be SKY and O2.

Blind_Eagle 16-09-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDNEAGLE (Post 14917486)
EE, Vodafone and very soon to join will be SKY and O2.

Neither EE nor Vodphone offer any 5G coverage whatsoever in St Albans. :confused:

Hedgehog 20-09-2019 12:49 AM

Has anyone updated to iOS 13 yet?

Looks like a hell of a lot of changes for one update. A bit too many for my liking... I think I'll resist as long as possible.

Adlerhorst 20-09-2019 04:19 AM

No.

13.1 is being released on Tuesday.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.