CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Whitehorse Terrace days (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283552)

Andrew Aitchison 01-03-2021 12:27 PM

Anyone remember the wall on Whitehorse Lane where the ground met the road? Think it was painted a dull yellow with "Crystal Palace Football Club" spelled out on it in black letters, with the wall running the whole length of the Whitehorse end.

There was a large flat area behind the terracing leading to the boundary wall. It never occurred to me it would ever be anything other than part of the ground.

big bad John 01-03-2021 05:22 PM

I think at the beginning you always gravitate to the part of the ground nearest your home. Living in Thornton Heath my nearest entrance was the WH. I started down the front, banging the boards and tossing peanuts at coppers when they had their backs turned. Then when they built the upper tier I'd try and get a spot by the dividing wall.
It was around 70-71 that I graduated to the front of the Holmedale and after doing an apprenticeship there I one day got brave enough to venture up to the top of the Holmedale where all the lads, naughty boys, singers and defenders of the territory hung out. Occasionally went in the New Stand enclosure, but the next time I went in the WH was the famous Burnley match in 79. Again it was a case of getting in at the nearest turnstile.
Nowadays, if I'm back in England it's a case of beggers can't be choosers so I'm happy just to get a ticket for any end of the ground. Although my first memories of watching Palace are from the WH I'll always be a Holmesdale boy at heart.

Spiderman 01-03-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15677972)
I think at the beginning you always gravitate to the part of the ground nearest your home. Living in Thornton Heath my nearest entrance was the WH. I started down the front, banging the boards and tossing peanuts at coppers when they had their backs turned. Then when they built the upper tier I'd try and get a spot by the dividing wall.
It was around 70-71 that I graduated to the front of the Holmedale and after doing an apprenticeship there I one day got brave enough to venture up to the top of the Holmedale where all the lads, naughty boys, singers and defenders of the territory hung out. Occasionally went in the New Stand enclosure, but the next time I went in the WH was the famous Burnley match in 79. Again it was a case of getting in at the nearest turnstile.
Nowadays, if I'm back in England it's a case of beggers can't be choosers so I'm happy just to get a ticket for any end of the ground. Although my first memories of watching Palace are from the WH I'll always be a Holmesdale boy at heart.

I also lived in Thornton Heath and the WH end was always the obvious place to go. When young used to always try to get to the front. One of first in queue for the Man Utd 1969 game. Looking out for Mrs Minchella selling bags of roasted peanuts from her basket.

pots1970 01-03-2021 07:32 PM

My earliest and fondest memories are of sitting on the partition wall half way down the whitehorse, I would be next to my cousin another bbs poster Cheeky Chippie and surrounded by my dad and uncles, truly fabulous memories, when going to the turnstile you would look to see if the tv lorries were there and whether you would be on The Big Match.

ian king 01-03-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Aitchison (Post 15677590)
Anyone remember the wall on Whitehorse Lane where the ground met the road? Think it was painted a dull yellow with "Crystal Palace Football Club" spelled out on it in black letters, with the wall running the whole length of the Whitehorse end.

Made of corrugated iron sheets, I think there is brief footage of it in the Centenary DVD taken from a supporters 8mm cine camera.

Ruskin Old Boy 01-03-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Aitchison (Post 15677590)

There was a large flat area behind the terracing leading to the boundary wall. It never occurred to me it would ever be anything other than part of the ground.

I remember seeing it from the 68 bus as my mum took me to and from my grandparents who lived in Herne Hill. There was no family connection with any football clubs so I took it as read that I'd support Palace.

Only stood on the Whitehorse when we kicked towards that end in the second half which wasn't very often.

Weed Killer 01-03-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15677545)
Whitehorse, Whitehorse do your job.

:lux:

Purepalace 01-03-2021 09:48 PM

Some great photos on this site.

https://fineartamerica.com/art/selhurst+park

Not seen the tiers being built one before or the one without the boxes.

Garfy 01-03-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Weíre the Whitehorse over here. When the Holmesdale and Whitehorse competed to see who could sing the loudest.

bubbs11 02-03-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian king (Post 15678159)
Made of corrugated iron sheets, I think there is brief footage of it in the Centenary DVD taken from a supporters 8mm cine camera.

Yes, that film was shot by a good friend of mine. I put the whole lot up on You Tube.

In hindsight, itís a shame he chose that game to take the camera along to as the game was featured on The Big Match. Can you imagine cine film footage from the Burnley game the following week or even Ipswich at home a few months later when we hit the top?

ballboy1975 02-03-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15678636)
Yes, that film was shot by a good friend of mine. I put the whole lot up on You Tube.

In hindsight, itís a shame he chose that game to take the camera along to as the game was featured on The Big Match. Can you imagine cine film footage from the Burnley game the following week or even Ipswich at home a few months later when we hit the top?

fantastic video ,

kirtoneagle 02-03-2021 11:12 AM

From 1975 to 1981 was a regular in the Whitehorse lane end, behind the goal, halfway up the terracing, was at the burnley game, only 11 at the time, barely saw any of the game

Louis 02-03-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballboy1975 (Post 15678875)
fantastic video ,

Brings back some memories of going to Selhurst in the late 70s/early 80s when the ground was like that. The Holmesdale end, the towering floodlights, the players' haircuts!

Louis 02-03-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Which, like many other slogans, was AFAIK copied from other fans at their grounds. I remember hearing other fans' versions of this several weeks/months before I first heard this.

CK 02-03-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15671727)
That was the terrace I used to stand on when I first started going in 1980 (thanks to my neighbour - thank you Dave!), but only for a couple of years before moving to the AW enclosure. Used to stand right at the front.

Terracing on the Whitehorse??

Grass bank when I first went. Gradually slid down and moved back up at half time:lux::lux:

Pikie Punisher 02-03-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 15678968)
Terracing on the Whitehorse??

Grass bank when I first went. Gradually slid down and moved back up at half time:lux::lux:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPayX_CW...jpg&name=small

Louis 02-03-2021 08:44 PM

Great photo :p

KYLIE MINEAGLE 03-03-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikie Punisher (Post 15679642)

Blackpool 1968 . The game was abandoned Lost the replay 1-2 then won 16 ? straight to get prompted.

EnglandEagle 04-03-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15678636)

2:19 in there is a lady who moves in and sits down on the touchline. Would that be Hy Money?

Spiderman 04-03-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglandEagle (Post 15682804)
2:19 in there is a lady who moves in and sits down on the touchline. Would that be Hy Money?

Indeed, still around I believe. Have occasionally seen her at Palace over last few years