CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Palace Stickers, Bubblegum & Ciggie Cards (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35060)

Dorking .Eagle 30-09-2019 01:21 PM

Blimey, another 495 cards. Good grief. The law of averages says probably another 18 of those will be Palace ones.

I think Panini know their customer base well, and a bit like Hornby trains or stamp collecting, collecting cards and stickers is becoming more and more of an adult pastime. You only have to work out how much it typically costs to complete a World Cup sticker album (and that's without the hardback book or the Swiss special edition silver edged stickers) to see that they know they can push it further and further away from kids pocket money range

If we weren't in the Premier League, I suspect there would be nothing at all, apart from the fixture card that the box office issues! Talk about two different worlds!

I wouldn't be surprised if Panini also do a further collection in March, equivalent to the old Match Attax Extra (to cover the January signings)

I did enjoy the retro style cards 'inspired by Football 77' albeit there was only Wilf Zaha featured. They would make a cool subset.

One of the big disappointments for me about the Prizm card collection is that the kits (or 'uniforms' as it says on the cards!) are out of date already!

On the school playground, the kids are collecting either Adrenalyn (the natural Premier League successor to Match Attax) or Champions League Match Attax. Topps are really pushing the CL Match Attax hard through kids mags like MOTD, and it features all the 'big 6' clubs, so you can see the attraction. If Chelsea or Man Utd fall out of the European competitions, then Topps won't even be able to feature them in their CL collections! That would be good!

Ockleywood 30-09-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN1509 (Post 14930813)
Against my better judgement , i have bitten the bullet and got quite a few of the Prizm parallels and the rarer stadium, auto cards, Have sadly paid more than i excepted, The Kaboom luka card costing me an arm & leg,
Yes the postage from the USA is very expensive , have asked sellers to put a very low value on the packet to avoid any customs charges,

Seen this link on another web-site below,
Panini Adrenalyn xl premier league PLUS 2019/20

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...ague-plus.html

Panini are really trying to get as much money back as soon as they can ,

John

Everyone to their own as to what to collect, if cards are your forte, fair enough, it is your money and obviously brings enjoyment to you.

Perhaps either you or Dorking can explain why send one card from USA that costs so little costs around £20 to be sent to the UK. It does not cost this to send one from UK to the USA.

Ockleywood 30-09-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14929855)
It's crazy isn't it!

Thanks to ebay's 'global shipping programme' , most of the U.S. Sellers are charging the best part of 20 quid for postage.
Any package over 20 Quid (the contents value) should also attract the interest of the customs at this end, with the post office holding it ransom!

I bought a base cards set from an Australian seller and they arrived today. They are nice but a bit 'Plastic'' to be honest.

The cards also come in all sort of prism effect parallel versions. When I was a kid, collecting sticker albums, the 'shinies' were always special, but this is like a whole set of shinies!!!

When we got promoted in 2013, there had never been a collection like Premier Gold, with auto and Jersey cards, and so I chased all the parallels I could. I thought Palace would go straight down, so enjoy it while it lasted, and get as much as possible! 7 seasons on, I take a more laid back approach and just win for one of each card (and nearly always not the rarer parallels!)

I have a contact in China who gets me stuff at sensible prices, he knows loads of collectors and traders over there, and luckily nobody wants Palace cards!

In terms of premium auto and relic cards, I think that collectors of 'big 6' clubs really do pay 3 figure prices. For clubs like Palace, the crazy prices almost never get paid and the cards just gather dust as old stock for years to come.

The other thing about this year's Prizm, is that the stadium and club badge cards are inserted quite frugally (low ratios)compared to usual, so these will logically be dearer if people want them. Personally I am willing to play a long waiting game until the prices come down for some of the cards. Even the rarest stuff eventually surfaces at sensible prices if you keep waiting

Your base set has certainly travelled the world, printed in USA, moved over to Australia and finally landed in Dorking, Surrey. Mind you probably cheaper to send from Australia than the USA so do not blame you getting your set from down under.

Dorking .Eagle 30-09-2019 03:06 PM

The postage from the USA is circa $20 because of a thing called the global shipping programme. I'm not an expert on it, but my understanding is that the seller (usually in the USA) sends the item to a depot somewhere, and then it gets sent out from there to the customer.

The supposed attractiveness to the seller is that they don't have to work out all sorts of different postage prices for different countries/regions in the world, as ebay automatically quotes a price during the purchase.

I think it also gives the seller some sort of protection when selling to the other side of the world that there won't be an accusation of "I never received it, I claim my refund", because the global shipping programme provides a tracked, signed for service.

What these USA sellers don't realise, is that a $20 delivery levy effectively makes these cards unattractively priced. If you have to pay $20 postage for a $1 - $20 card, it's at least doubling the price, so unless you REALLY want a particular card it's a deterrect, and cards of a value above $20 then start to attract the attention of customs and import fees.

Which is nuts when you think that these cards are of our local team up the road here in England!

The far east sellers have a better chance of selling, as usually their postage rates are $6, and rarely more than $8

As I mentioned, I have a guy in Beijing who gets me cards at very good prices and sends them letter post to me, so $5 and no customs interference. I'm not in the market for the high priced stuff though.

These card companies know exactly what they are doing when they intentionally create rare cards which are 1/10, 1/8, 1/5 and even 1/1. I've got some of these rarities from over the years, mainly when an exact card type only comes in such a limited number, but almost all have been from using contacts and being on the ball. Sometimes you have to be prepared to wait a very long time and set up ebay 'saved searches' to notify you months/years later!

I don't see a great deal of point in paying out £100 for a card which is 1/10, when a near identical one is 1/100 and £15, the only difference being a slightly different background hue, and the miniscule serial number

JOHN1509 30-09-2019 04:24 PM

Even with the $20 postage, i bidded on a rarer Prizm card couple days back, totally forgot when bidding about not going over £20 mark to avoid the dreaded customs fees, But ebay added them on already :(

Subtotal (1 item) US $21.50
Postage US $16.58
Import charges US $11.72
Order total US $49.80

Dorking .Eagle 30-09-2019 04:30 PM

Hong Kong sellers are my preference for that very reason!

JOHN1509 30-09-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14931578)
Hong Kong sellers are my preference for that very reason!

Just had a message back from another US seller to who i brought quite a few palace cards from, asked him if he could put a low value on the package, as in total, the cards came to nearly £26, his answer was...

Unfortunately, United States law requires us to specify the accurate value of the package. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Looks like another £11-£14 customs extra charge:veryangry

I'm done with getting stuff from the US

Beaky Bee 30-09-2019 05:35 PM

Not read through ALL of this thread, so any of you collect Godfrey Phillips, Pinnace Football cards ? K card, medium and cabinet size

Neil the Eagle 30-09-2019 05:57 PM

Yes Beaky, My collection is from 1906 to 2013 - I completely lost interest when we hit the Prem and all those Parallel, Fragment of Player's shirts & Sig cards. Reading the last few posts, I am better off out of it, I think.

The Pinnace small cards are common as, the other sizes rare as the proverbial rocking house merde. Anything you want to know?

Beaky Bee 30-09-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle (Post 14931663)
Yes Beaky, My collection is from 1906 to 2013 - I completely lost interest when we hit the Prem and all those Parallel, Fragment of Player's shirts & Sig cards. Reading the last few posts, I am better off out of it, I think.

The Pinnace small cards are common as, the other sizes rare as the proverbial rocking house merde. Anything you want to know?

I'm only referring too the Godfrey Phillips, Pinnace football cards, that were produced from circa 1921 through to 1923/4.
Appreciate the medium and cabinet size versions are like acquiring hens teeth, but any of you use auction houses to get these and if so, which one's ?
E-Bay I find is more for the K size (small) variety here

Dorking .Eagle 30-09-2019 07:43 PM

I have a medium size Pinnace card for J. Whibley. I bought it in 1997 from Murray's card shop in Hendon (from memory a long a slow tube journey away!) It cost me £2.60

I also have a medium card for B Menlove, albeit at the bottom it says Sheffield United

I must admit, I don't think I have seen a medium size Palace card for sale since then.

Cabinet size, I have A. Wood, J. Connor, J. Little, and R. McCracken. These were worth £7.50 in 1997

I must admit, I don't really keep up with collecting Palace cigarette cards these days, as I found filling the last few gaps in my collection almost impossible.

If anyone has a current, or even recent Cig Card catalogue, I would be interested (and grateful) if they could let me know what the catalogue price is these days for the 1913 Taddy Prominent Footballer cards. I have all the Palace ones now, but I am just curious as to how much they are listed for (original cards, not reprint series)

I am ever hopeful of one day obtaining the Pattreiouex/Casket card "F 167" (Radford and Mew) from Footballers 1922. I have a picture of it, but would like one day to get the real thing! Any leads appreciated!

Also a question (probably for Neil). Which Palace player is sticker number 79 from Top Sellers Football 72 ? (78 is Sewell and 80 is Kember). It's probably not all that rare, but it's an annoying gap!

Beaky Bee 30-09-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14931757)
I have a medium size Pinnace card for J. Whibley. I bought it in 1997 from Murray's card shop in Hendon (from memory a long a slow tube journey away!) It cost me £2.60

I also have a medium card for B Menlove, albeit at the bottom it says Sheffield United

I must admit, I don't think I have seen a medium size Palace card for sale since then.

Cabinet size, I have A. Wood, J. Connor, J. Little, and R. McCracken. These were worth £7.50 in 1997

I must admit, I don't really keep up with collecting Palace cigarette cards these days, as I found filling the last few gaps in my collection almost impossible.

If anyone has a current, or even recent Cig Card catalogue, I would be interested (and grateful) if they could let me know what the catalogue price is these days for the 1913 Taddy Prominent Footballer cards. I have all the Palace ones now, but I am just curious as to how much they are listed for (original cards, not reprint series)

I am ever hopeful of one day obtaining the Pattreiouex/Casket card "F 167" (Radford and Mew) from Footballers 1922. I have a picture of it, but would like one day to get the real thing! Any leads appreciated!

Also a question (probably for Neil). Which Palace player is sticker number 79 from Top Sellers Football 72 ? (78 is Sewell and 80 is Kember). It's probably not all that rare, but it's an annoying gap!

Nice response and collection. Murray's card shop .. been there a few times.

Beaky Bee 30-09-2019 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added attachment of all the Pinnace cards out there

Dorking .Eagle 30-09-2019 08:08 PM

Blimey! I remember there being the 4 different back versions for the miniature cards, but could never be doing with hunting every last possible variation!

I used to have a book about them, and I believe it had a picture of every single miniature card!

I wouldn't be surprised if the only 'easy to get' medium sized Pinnace cards are for the rugby teams that are featured

Ockleywood 02-10-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14931519)
The postage from the USA is circa $20 because of a thing called the global shipping programme. I'm not an expert on it, but my understanding is that the seller (usually in the USA) sends the item to a depot somewhere, and then it gets sent out from there to the customer.

The supposed attractiveness to the seller is that they don't have to work out all sorts of different postage prices for different countries/regions in the world, as ebay automatically quotes a price during the purchase.

I think it also gives the seller some sort of protection when selling to the other side of the world that there won't be an accusation of "I never received it, I claim my refund", because the global shipping programme provides a tracked, signed for service.

What these USA sellers don't realise, is that a $20 delivery levy effectively makes these cards unattractively priced. If you have to pay $20 postage for a $1 - $20 card, it's at least doubling the price, so unless you REALLY want a particular card it's a deterrect, and cards of a value above $20 then start to attract the attention of customs and import fees.

Which is nuts when you think that these cards are of our local team up the road here in England!

The far east sellers have a better chance of selling, as usually their postage rates are $6, and rarely more than $8

As I mentioned, I have a guy in Beijing who gets me cards at very good prices and sends them letter post to me, so $5 and no customs interference. I'm not in the market for the high priced stuff though.

These card companies know exactly what they are doing when they intentionally create rare cards which are 1/10, 1/8, 1/5 and even 1/1. I've got some of these rarities from over the years, mainly when an exact card type only comes in such a limited number, but almost all have been from using contacts and being on the ball. Sometimes you have to be prepared to wait a very long time and set up ebay 'saved searches' to notify you months/years later!

I don't see a great deal of point in paying out £100 for a card which is 1/10, when a near identical one is 1/100 and £15, the only difference being a slightly different background hue, and the miniscule serial number

Thanks for explaining the postal system, total rip off in my book, how anybody wants to buy from USA at the $20 dollar rate I do not know, however if you want a specific card you have no choice.

Dorking .Eagle 02-10-2019 10:40 AM

If people don't mind playing the long game, then pretty much all of the various Prizm cards will find their way to the Far East sellers/traders in the long run. Of course there will be some rare parallels which might not, but if you're in that game, then you are probably prepared to pay the postage.

The rarest Palace card in the Prizm series this year is the Color Blast card. There is only one of these cards in every 8 cases, and then you have to factor in that there are 30 different Colour Blast cards, of which the Benteke card is only one. Apparently the Benteke one sold for $120 at a local auction over there. On ebay, you'd be 'lucky' to get a Color Blast card for under £200 to be honest, more for a player from one of the 'big clubs' and goodness knows what for a /5 gold power version, if any of these even get offered for sale (many would simply get traded directly between high end collectors)

Beaky Bee 02-10-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14933162)
If people don't mind playing the long game, then pretty much all of the various Prizm cards will find their way to the Far East sellers/traders in the long run. Of course there will be some rare parallels which might not, but if you're in that game, then you are probably prepared to pay the postage.

The rarest Palace card in the Prizm series this year is the Color Blast card. There is only one of these cards in every 8 cases, and then you have to factor in that there are 30 different Colour Blast cards, of which the Benteke card is only one. Apparently the Benteke one sold for $120 at a local auction over there. On ebay, you'd be 'lucky' to get a Color Blast card for under £200 to be honest, more for a player from one of the 'big clubs' and goodness knows what for a /5 gold power version, if any of these even get offered for sale (many would simply get traded directly between high end collectors)

These Prizm cards, they just Premiership teams ?

Dorking .Eagle 02-10-2019 12:21 PM

Yes. Although before this season Panini didn't hold the licence to produce Premier League stuff, Topps did.

So last season, Topps were producing all the Premier League cards and stickers, and Panini were doing International stuff. So Panini did the (very famous) World Cup 2018 sticker album, but also a 2018 World Cup Prizm card collection

Until the end of last season, Topps had the Premier League licence, and had a very successful card collection out every year called Match Attax, but also some 'premium' card series, such as Premier Gold, and Platinum.

In my opinion, Panini are best at the sticker collections and Topps are best at card collections. The way it works though is that one company gets the Premier League licence, and produces everything. It's sometimes a bit hit and miss.

This season (2019/20) Topps do have the UEFA license, so are producing Match Attax cards and presumably also stickers for the Champions League and Europa League. Their Champions League/Europa League Match Attax card collection therefore features all 7 teams that are in Europe (all the 'big 6' plus Wolves), but then also all the other big Euro teams like Barca, Real Madrid etc. So it's quite attractive to glory hunting kids, as it's all the teams kids are attracted to, and can include Messi, Ronaldo etc. Yuk!

JOHN1509 03-10-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14933162)

The rarest Palace card in the Prizm series this year is the Color Blast card. There is only one of these cards in every 8 cases, and then you have to factor in that there are 30 different Colour Blast cards, of which the Benteke card is only one. Apparently the Benteke one sold for $120 at a local auction over there. On ebay, you'd be 'lucky' to get a Color Blast card for under £200 to be honest, more for a player from one of the 'big clubs' and goodness knows what for a /5 gold power version, i

The color Blast is one card that even over coming years, will still be out of my price range, I've mainly got my eyes on the normal base set parallel's upto the blue & red cards, so far the prices haven't been too bad, The Luka Kaboom card cost me more than i expected £40+,
As i've now broken the bad of the cards i wanted, I'll just sit back and hopefully of coming time the other cards will trickle through at a lower price eg, Orange /25,Gold /10, Gold power /5
As i've seen from the Topps collections back from 2014, 2015, 2016, some of the rarer ones are a lot cheaper and can easy be picked up on the chaep side now

JOHN1509 04-10-2019 11:39 PM

Panini Adrenalyn XL
Sakho limited edition cards now on ebay,