CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jazz. (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161455)

Mat ov CPFC 08-11-2007 09:26 PM

Jazz.

OK, I have tried. I am currently listening to John Coltrane and I know its meant to be cool and groovy and all the rest but its rubbish.

I am only making the effort because I am being dragged along to a family bash that is taking place in a Jazz Pub on Saturday night and I have not ever really given it a go but if Coltrane is meant to represent the high point of the genre I hate to think what awaits me on Saturday night when its just keen amateurs. :(

hoopsmccan 08-11-2007 09:28 PM

You want Ernie Watts.

Micky Droy 08-11-2007 09:28 PM

Have a l;isten to Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis.

lanepe 08-11-2007 09:29 PM

The magazines are apparently worth a look.

hoopsmccan 08-11-2007 09:30 PM

Or Wayne Shorter.

Lizzy 08-11-2007 09:31 PM

Re: Jazz.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
OK, I have tried. I am currently listening to John Coltrane and I know its meant to be cool and groovy and all the rest but its rubbish.

I am only making the effort because I am being dragged along to a family bash that is taking place in a Jazz Pub on Saturday night and I have not ever really given it a go but if Coltrane is meant to represent the high point of the genre I hate to think what awaits me on Saturday night when its just keen amateurs. :(

Going against my normal stance, I believe copious amounts of alcohol are permitted, indeed advisable, in situations like this.

Jazz = meh.

Sick Bucket 08-11-2007 09:33 PM

Jazz. :(

souwickham 08-11-2007 09:34 PM

Re: Re: Jazz.

Quote:

Originally posted by Lizzy
Going against my normal stance, I believe copious amounts of alcohol are permitted, indeed advisable, in situations like this.

Jazz = meh.

meh...?

west country boy 08-11-2007 09:37 PM

Which Coltrane album are you listening to Matthew? I know feck all about jazz, but Blue Train and A Love Supreme are super.

You might be better off with Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen or Mr Acker Bilk to be honest.

Mat ov CPFC 08-11-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by west country boy
Which Coltrane album are you listening to Matthew? I know feck all about jazz, but Blue Train and A Love Supreme are super.

Why are they super ? To me its just random instrument playing.

Steve M 08-11-2007 09:39 PM

Coltrane is an acquired taste for sure and certainly isn't the obvious starter music for someone wanting to 'get into' jazz, although some of his music is easier than others. It's pretty unlikely, I would have thought, that you'll encounter bepop at the jazz pub anyway.

I'm no expert but you'd be better off initially listening to something more melodic and gradually moving into stuff that's more dissonant - your ears need to get used to the music first to an extent.

You might want to try some Sonny Rollins or Thelonius Monk first perhaps?

Nelson Muntz 08-11-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

I used to get dragged to Ronnie Scott's by my Dad when I was younger. I never got it either.

Once on the Fast Show Jazz Club sketch, John Thompson was asked 'What sort of tunes will we be hearing tonight?'
'Tunes?' He replied. 'Theres no tunes, this is jazz'

Really summed it up for me.

west country boy 08-11-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

I suppose you have to be black like me to appreciate it.

Anyway, you like all that east European folk nonsense, and that's just noise.

Mat ov CPFC 08-11-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by west country boy
I suppose you have to be black like me to appreciate it.

Anyway, you like all that east European folk nonsense, and that's just noise.

Dat true.

souwickham 08-11-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve M
Coltrane is an acquired taste for sure and certainly isn't the obvious starter music for someone wanting to 'get into' jazz, although some of his music is easier than others. It's pretty unlikely, I would have thought, that you'll encounter bepop at the jazz pub anyway.

I'm no expert but you'd be better off initially listening to something more melodic and gradually moving into stuff that's more dissonant - your ears need to get used to the music first to an extent.

You might want to try some Sonny Rollins or Thelonius Monk first perhaps?

or troutmask replica..!

Steve M 08-11-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

This is largely because you'll have grown up listening to music that's largely in the major and minor scales or the blues scale or some such variant so the modes used in jazz and the more unusual harmonies and rhythms will initially sound strange, but there is always an underlying order and structure.

(Mind you, I've sort of done my jazz phase. Opera is my new musical love. I could listen to Die Zauberflote all day long)

west country boy 08-11-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve M
Gosh. "A Love Supreme" was the first jazz album I ever got, and I found it, if not easy listening, very accessible.

Maybe Mat should try some Ornette Coleman.

Pistike 08-11-2007 09:51 PM

Mat should stick to Burt Bacharach.

Gooders 08-11-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Jazz should be listened to very occasionally live in a pub or club, and at no other time.

west country boy 08-11-2007 09:57 PM

Re: Re: Jazz.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gooders
Jazz should be listened to very occasionally live in a pub or club, and at no other time.
You like Kula Shaker though, so surely your critical faculties have been proved a tad skewiff?