CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Apple TV (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177975)

Isle of Wight 27-11-2008 06:24 PM

Apple TV

Anyone using it? Any good?

Can you rip you DVDs pop em into itunes and watch on your TV? As most DVD's are 7 GB doesnt your Mac/PC fill up or do you downsize them if so to what?

Thinking of getting one in the Black Friday Sale tomorrow.

cumbrian_eagles 27-11-2008 07:17 PM

Not sure about size, but handbrake has a default setting for AppleTV. I've been tempted by one too, but never seen it cheap enough to satisfy me

Isle of Wight 27-11-2008 08:29 PM

I'll wait and see how much they are tomorrow but I don't want to have one copy for my Ipod, one for my Iphone and another for apple TV. Sigh, all seems a bit complicated. :(

Brett 27-11-2008 09:11 PM

I don't use mine as much as I want to. Handbrake is a let down and the developers have all but admitted they have no interest in improving the options for the aTV.

I watch stuff I have bought from iTunes and vodcasts. It's a nice bit of kit but is let down by not being able to output 1080p.

As with all of the devices, it's the software limitations that ruins it. The content providers won't allow Apple to have DVD ripping in iTunes and Handbrake is too fiddly (I am a perfectionist).

I'd love it to have a blu-ray player built-in and a web browser - that would be the nuts. Yet even with a browser, you'll be limited by content providers and region restrictions.

Buy one if you have the time to fiddle with Handbrake.

Dave 27-11-2008 09:23 PM

have you considered running boxy or alternative softare?

Brett 27-11-2008 09:29 PM

I've run Boxee and XBMC on the Mac and I don't like either GUI so haven't flashed the aTV.

Boxee's GUI is particularly sluggish and the menu system is plain crazy. Hulu won't work either - I can't fake my IP address to look like I'm in the US.

Isle of Wight 27-11-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
have you considered running boxy or alternative softare?

No, I haven't a clue about it. What I would like to achieve is ripp my DVD's on my Imac, have them available to the play on my TV, 42" LCD, however I also want them to be able to be synched with my iphone or Ipod. I want a DVD Jukebox that can send a copy to my portable stuff. But I dont want to spend hours ripping, converting then converting again. Any guidence appreciated.

Smoz 27-11-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett
I've run Boxee and XBMC on the Mac and I don't like either GUI so haven't flashed the aTV.

Boxee's GUI is particularly sluggish and the menu system is plain crazy. Hulu won't work either - I can't fake my IP address to look like I'm in the US.

Have you tried Plex? I started using it a week or so ago and it seems pretty good to me, however I have only used it on my macbook, not tried hooking it up to a television.

Brett 27-11-2008 09:40 PM

It's not the ripping bit you'll have a problem with; when I rip I do it in batches overnight (and that's on a C2D iMac with 4gb RAM!). It's the settings that is the pain. One rip will look fantastic (in my case, The Hills Have Eyes 2) but the same settings will turn out junk on other movies (Gladiator, Family Guy...).

This is the biggest problem I have with Handbrake - the absolute need to fiddle with the settings for each movie.

As for multi-device work, there is an aTV pre-set in Handbrake and a quick tweak of one of the options will enable the output to run on iPhone's, iPod's etc. I can't remember which setting it is but it's on the Handbrake thread at MacRumors.

Brett 27-11-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz
Have you tried Plex? I started using it a week or so ago and it seems pretty good to me, however I have only used it on my macbook, not tried hooking it up to a television.

Can't run Plex on the aTV. As with the Handbrake devs, they have written off the aTV hardware and are tailoring the code for high-end Mac Pro's.

I think the aTV is a dead one unless Apple converges with the Mac Mini or sticks a DVD or blu-ray drive in the next-gen aTV.

Smoz 27-11-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Can't run Plex on the aTV. As with the Handbrake devs, they have written off the aTV hardware and are tailoring the code for high-end Mac Pro's.

I think the aTV is a dead one unless Apple converges with the Mac Mini or sticks a DVD or blu-ray drive in the next-gen aTV.

If they do actually bring out an updated Mac Mini in the new year as rumoured then I will probably get one to use as a media device.

Brett 27-11-2008 09:48 PM

I wish I'd have held off on the aTV now. The one downside with a Mini is the question marks on playing 1080p content and protected content.

There's a huge market here just waiting for someone to exploit.

Dave 27-11-2008 09:50 PM

There is no way you are going to be able to rip the same file for Iphone and 30in + LCd - that just doesn't happen.

I don't encode anything for my phone - it all comes direct from podcasts and from Iplayer.

In fact the only ripping I do isn't ripping at at all, I just create verbatim copies of my dvds as ISOs - sorry that doesn't help Atv peeps

Dave 27-11-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

I wish I'd have held off on the aTV now. The one downside with a Mini is the question marks on playing 1080p content and protected content.

There's a huge market here just waiting for someone to exploit.

I can play 1080p just about - it's expected with in built nasty intel graphics though

Brett 27-11-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
I can play 1080p just about

On a Mini?

I'm having trouble playing them on my Alu iMac. I mean, they play but I have blocking. In theory, the hardware is easily powerful enough so I am wondering whether it's the screen (mad as that sounds).

Dave 27-11-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

On a Mini?

Yeah but it's a bit moot as my tv only supports 1080i

Quote:

I'm having trouble playing them on my Alu iMac. I mean, they play but I have blocking. In theory, the hardware is easily powerful enough so I am wondering whether it's the screen (mad as that sounds).
What grahics card?

Brett 27-11-2008 10:16 PM

ATI Radeon HD2600

Dave 27-11-2008 10:18 PM

Should do then unless the box is overloaded when trying playback.

Isle of Wight 28-11-2008 07:04 AM

Just looked at the AppleTv in the sale and they give you the vast amount of 10.99 !!!!!! Now 259 instead of 270 Tightarses no appleTV for me

paf 28-11-2008 08:49 AM

Apple TV is rubbish, no? When they came out the reviews said you were better of buying a 30 squids Xbox 1 with XBMC.

For those who want to playback everything, in any format and at full 1080p, drop 100 on an Istar mini or popcorn hour. I use mine every day, they are so good I bought 2.