CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Hedgehog 05-04-2015 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 12322532)
Eurgh, where did these c**** crawl out from? WHO THE **** ARE YOU CLAPPING?!! Knobs

Do these people go to an art museum and start applauding in front of a painting? I think not.

There is no one there that cares... unless your at the Premier I guess.

Breaking rocks 05-04-2015 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckMcBalls (Post 12322543)
As someone who learned from Dutch for a year I can clear up the latter for you. Its van haal (Dutch g is similar to our h with a guttural edge to it). But in English its just pronounced wanker.

I want to expand on yours and say inconsistent pronunciation of player names in general. Bellerin in the Arsenal game today had about 3 different ways of saying it between the two commentators. It pains me they don't bother to learn how to say it correctly, even the Yanks get that right in sports.

Thank you your insight.

It would appear that G's are pronounced as H's.

Now all we need to know is it aitch or haitch?

little al 05-04-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaking rocks (Post 12322567)

Now all we need to know is it aitch or haitch?

We do know, it's aitch.

GorBlimey 05-04-2015 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 12322598)
We do know, it's aitch.

Unless you were Harry H Corbett of Steptoe fame.

When asked what the "H" stood for, he answered "Hanything".

Isle of Wight 05-04-2015 07:44 AM

Automated menu systems at call centres that make you go through 1 for this 2 for that then ask your account details and address and then when you get throughout to someone THEY ******* ASK IT ALL AGAIN! I ******* HATE THE ******* THINGS! WHAT IS THE POINT!

Duffle Coat 05-04-2015 08:02 AM

Think I'm losing my senses but here goes. Listening to BBC's 'Books And Authors' podcast, I heard an author mispronounce the word 'hyperbole'. The failed pronunciation loses the speaker every ounce of credibility in my books. Then, on another episode, I heard a Cambridge scholar use a rhetorical term I had never come across before and she failed to spell it for the listeners. The term is anacolutha and I spent the last fifteen minutes trying to find it. My story has a happy ending though. I thought to myself, I'm going onto the BBS thread, Things That Annoy You. Whaddayaknow? Guess which thread was first on the left hand column? It's times like this that my love for the Palace family knows no bounds!:lux::lux:

GorBlimey 05-04-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffle Coat (Post 12322614)
Think I'm losing my senses but here goes. Listening to BBC's 'Books And Authors' podcast, I heard an author mispronounce the word 'hyperbole'. The failed pronunciation loses the speaker every ounce of credibility in my books. Then, on another episode, I heard a Cambridge scholar use a rhetorical term I had never come across before and she failed to spell it for the listeners. The term is anacolutha and I spent the last fifteen minutes trying to find it. My story has a happy ending though. I thought to myself, I'm going onto the BBS thread, Things That Annoy You. Whaddayaknow? Guess which thread was first on the left hand column? It's times like this that my love for the Palace family knows no bounds!:lux::lux:

Someone who posts this crap! No insult intended btw!

olly cromwell 05-04-2015 08:23 AM

Ed Miliband

Salad_Burnet 05-04-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 12322610)
Automated menu systems at call centres that make you go through 1 for this 2 for that then ask your account details and address and then when you get throughout to someone THEY ******* ASK IT ALL AGAIN! I ******* HATE THE ******* THINGS! WHAT IS THE POINT!

If you resolve to only contact call centres at work, the inefficiency of the system becomes your friend and you grow to actually enjoy and draw out the entire process, just to kill time.

Arron 05-04-2015 09:47 AM

Tory politicians
Recycled BBS trolls

tauranga rob 05-04-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet (Post 12322640)
If you resolve to only contact call centres at work, the inefficiency of the system becomes your friend and you grow to actually enjoy and draw out the entire process, just to kill time.

I do hope you're not a Civil Servant.

chav_hater 05-04-2015 10:37 AM

Fake child voices on tv adverts. The Barclays learn to code one being a prime example.

audreytatou 05-04-2015 11:08 AM

The Mexican bloody wave

Duffle Coat 05-04-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 12322615)
Someone who posts this crap! No insult intended btw!

No offence taken. I was in need of getting it off my chest. Seriously though word pronunciation is important because it affects how seriously a person is taken in a public forum.

Nork1 05-04-2015 11:59 AM

National anthems and dignitaries/hangers on being introduced to teams before internationals. Even worse is the trend for some warbling opera bint in sequins belting out god save the queen. Just cut the shit and get on with the ******* game.

Breaking rocks 05-04-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nork1 (Post 12322791)
National anthems and dignitaries/hangers on being introduced to teams before internationals. Even worse is the trend for some warbling opera bint in sequins belting out god save the queen. Just cut the shit and get on with the ******* game.

Especially considering the players have spent the previous half hour warming up only to be then made to stand around for 10 minutes.

NorthPalace23 05-04-2015 12:17 PM

Ant and Dec.

In particular the fact that they seem to spend their lives standing or sitting in the right order ie Ant and Dec rather than Dec and Ant.

JDawg 05-04-2015 10:38 PM

The amount of packaging involved with an Easter egg.

art malice 05-04-2015 10:53 PM

Danny Higinbotham

kayjay 05-04-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nork1 (Post 12322791)

Yes, Yes and Yes!
Exactly who is responsible for world sport being infiltrated by over the top pre-ceremony? National anthems go off at the opening of an envelope these days. FFS, the cricket World Cup sent teams out to the sound of their anthems at the semi final stage. :veryangry
However, God Save The Queen conspicuously absent on those occasions.