CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   User Help and Suggestions (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Advanced Search Feature (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279272)

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 03:14 PM

Advanced Search Feature

Is this not functioning at this time? It goes to a blank screen and no search results appear (or any message).

Is it me, or a BBS issue?

EddieEdwards 22-06-2019 03:36 PM

Seems to be working ok as far as I can see. Try logging out of the BBS and back in, and if that doesn't work try clearing all browser cookies.

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 06:40 PM

Thanks for looking at this Eddie.

I cleared all cookies and then re-logged in. Ran the advanced search using my name (Hedgehog) in the "Search by Username" block, with the sub criteria of "Find Posts by user" and "Exact Name" checked. The "Search in Forums" is set to "Search All Open Forums" and "Show Results as" radio button is set to "Posts".

Hit the "Search Now" button and it goes to the blank screen. I tried again by selecting just a specific forum, i.e. World of Football, and I get the search results, i.e. all the post I have made in that particular forum. Same think with all the other individual forums, but not when "Search All Open Forums" is selected.

I know this has not been a problem until a few days ago as I always use this method to see the posts I made the morning after a few too many glasses of wine the night before! I'm not convinced it is not my computer, but just putting it out there in case something has changed at The BBS end.

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 06:50 PM

Rather oddly, I just change the search criteria from Hedgehog to EddieEdwards, and it worked fine. I tried a few other members names, and they all worked fine!

I tried Hedgehog again and it goes to blank. Maybe I've too many posts to search for!

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 22-06-2019 07:57 PM

As far as I recall the search indexes on the BBS have been shagged for years.

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 08:18 PM

Iíve been searching as described above for years up until a few days ago without issue, but yes there were some changes a few years back that made searching a little less intuitive.

Timbo 22-06-2019 08:49 PM

I have never had much luck finding anything with the search facility

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 10:29 PM

OK, been doing some experimenting...

The problem would appear to be related to the number of posts you have made. By listing all the members by the number of posts they have made I ascertained that the cut off point fell between Big-Griff who has 38,178 posts and maestro who has 38,510 posts.

From Big-Griff down the search for posts by that member works. Anyone with more posts than Big-Griff this function does not work.

As I have a rather embarrassing 57,240 posts I am in the too many post group.

Again, this could be my computer, or the BBS server grinding to a halt when trying to list all posts by a member with 38,178+ posts.

EddieEdwards 22-06-2019 10:35 PM

Hi Hedgehog,

Thanks for posting the extra details - I can see what your problem is now. The BBS search fails when the search returns more than a certain number of posts. I'm not sure exactly what the limit is but if it was recently working ok when you searched for all your own posts, and now it's not working, then I guess your post count must have recently passed the search limit! Obviously when you restrict it to just one forum then it returns fewer posts so it works ok.

If you want to look for all your recent posts then I suggest you use the "Find Posts from" option.

Edit - just seen that you worked this out for yourself. :)

Hedgehog 22-06-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieEdwards (Post 14798119)
Hi Hedgehog,

Thanks for posting the extra details - I can see what your problem is now. The BBS search fails when the search returns more than a certain number of posts. I'm not sure exactly what the limit is but if it was recently working ok when you searched for all your own posts, and now it's not working, then I guess your post count must have recently passed the search limit! Obviously when you restrict it to just one forum then it returns fewer posts so it works ok.

If you want to look for all your recent posts then I suggest you use the "Find Posts from" option.

Edit - just seen that you worked this out for yourself. :)

Thanks again Eddie. I think it is more than reaching a certain number, but I'm cool with whatever it is... time to drop it... no big deal.

I'm not familiar with the "Find Posts from" option. Where do I find that? I'm not seeing it in the advanced search page.

PS... don't waste your Saturday night messing around on here for me!

CP-RJW 23-06-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 14797976)
As far as I recall the search indexes on the BBS have been shagged for years.

Yep. In 5 years on the BBS I’ve never been able to make it work.

EddieEdwards 23-06-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14798123)
I'm not familiar with the "Find Posts from" option. Where do I find that? I'm not seeing it in the advanced search page.

The "Find Posts from" option is on the left hand side of the Advanced Search page. On the right you've got the panel where you can specify certain forums, and on the left there are various other filtering options, including "Find Posts from" which is set to "Any Date" by default but you can change it to Yesterday, A Week Ago, 2 Weeks Ago etc.

Hedgehog 23-06-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieEdwards (Post 14798836)
The "Find Posts from" option is on the left hand side of the Advanced Search page. On the right you've got the panel where you can specify certain forums, and on the left there are various other filtering options, including "Find Posts from" which is set to "Any Date" by default but you can change it to Yesterday, A Week Ago, 2 Weeks Ago etc.

Oh I see... that narrows the search down to a narrower time frame, i.e. the last week or Yesterday. Saves having to search millions of post!

That worked, and allows me to see posts posted while under the influence the night before! :D

Thanks EE :lux: