CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Sharkba1t 16-09-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 14918022)
It's never the dogs - only the owners.

And i don't own a dog. But, looked after properly, they are brilliant.
Too good for us, tbh.

CK 18-09-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 14917997)
and that annoys you? :lux:

No I just wanted to annoy everybody else:p

old traf 18-09-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 14915268)
I know it appears in various dictionaries. Dictionaries are not manuals of good usage. The answer though is right there in the definition: "Used when the subject of the verb is 'they' used as a singular pronoun". The presence of a word in a dictionary does not imply that a particular usage of it is good, or that there even exists a good usage for it. It merely means that people use it with the meaning given. "Transportation" appears in dictionaries too but it is a horrible word that 90% of the time is used when "transport" will do fine.

"They" can't be used as a singular pronoun because it only agrees with plural nouns. People do use it but it feels to me so ugly, so contrived, so jarring as to make my teeth jangle. It's come about as a result of people not understanding their own language's grammar properly (partly because in English grammatical gender and natural gender usually coincide, although they do not always) and if it becomes part of the normal grammar, as it probably will, this and similar changes will in particular have the effect of making the language - a worldwide lingua franca, of course - harder to learn and use, not easier.

The sentence given as an example is ungrammatical. Fowler proscribes the usage and so does the Complete Plain Words (2014 edition). A singular "themself" was in use from 1400 down to about 1570 but this was considered the real plural version at the time and used to refer to plural nouns.

That's easy for you to say

Olympian2 18-09-2019 10:30 AM

The opening post on this thread has always slightly bugged me, albeit it doesn't annoy me per se.

The OP refers to 'Going to a petrol station which is disguised as a supermarket'. I think they mean 'Going to a supermarket which is disguised as a petrol station'.......

old traf 18-09-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14917490)
A mate of mine didn't have very nice parents so left home when he was 16.
He rented a flat above an Indian restaurant and instead of cooking for himself, he used to have dinner at this restaurant every night after work.
He loved spicy hot food so had a phaal every night.
In the end, the manager told the waiters not to serve him as they feared for his stomach lining.
He still eats this crap to this day though.

I was brought up on curries, had one at least 3 times a week, mostly vindaloo, but could never finish a phaal, not even a quarter,

Isle of Wight 18-09-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14919130)
The opening post on this thread has always slightly bugged me, albeit it doesn't annoy me per se.

The OP refers to 'Going to a petrol station which is disguised as a supermarket'. I think they mean 'Going to a supermarket which is disguised as a petrol station'.......

Having something pointed out that you hadnt noticed, that will now irritate you everytime you see it.

Olympian2 18-09-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14919137)
Having something pointed out that you hadnt noticed, that will now irritate you everytime you see it.

:D :D :D

dannyb1 18-09-2019 11:01 AM

The little bastard plastic ring with wheels in the microwave that aids the glass turning round.

Why the hell can it not be seated in a track? as mine doesn't sit flush in the middle always too far over.

BERT'S HEAD 18-09-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyb1 (Post 14919146)
The little bastard plastic ring with wheels in the microwave that aids the glass turning round.

Why the hell can it not be seated in a track? as mine doesn't sit flush in the middle always too far over.

As disturbing as anything I've read on this thread.

Leopald Stotch 18-09-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14918014)
Happens everywhere. London streets littered with little black bags. If you're lucky, the considerate ones leave the gift in your bin. Too many f*cking dogs and Dickhead dog owners.

And while I'm at it, what is it with dog and cat owners referring to themselves as mummy or daddy? That's just weird.

A couple of months ago I was having my evening jog around Selsdon Woods. It was overcast, windy and started to rain, and as such the paths amongst the trees were much darker than on the average July day. At one point I noticed a bat heading in my direction. Having an illogical fear of anything small that flutters furiously (I was attacked by a psychotic Budgie on several occasions as a child) I performed my finest 'run the f*ck away' only to be concerned by it following me. Eventually as the wind died down the bat hit the floor and didn't move. Feeling courageous, I decided to venture over to see it, only to be confronted by an empty black dog poo bag that someone had tied a knot in the middle, giving the appearance of a small body and 2 wings. And yes, I did feel a complete tit!

chrisophiex 18-09-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 14919153)
A couple of months ago I was having my evening jog around Selsdon Woods. It was overcast, windy and started to rain, and as such the paths amongst the trees were much darker than on the average July day. At one point I noticed a bat heading in my direction. Having an illogical fear of anything small that flutters furiously (I was attacked by a psychotic Budgie on several occasions as a child) I performed my finest 'run the f*ck away' only to be concerned by it following me. Eventually as the wind died down the bat hit the floor and didn't move. Feeling courageous, I decided to venture over to see it, only to be confronted by an empty black dog poo bag that someone had tied a knot in the middle, giving the appearance of a small body and 2 wings. And yes, I did feel a complete tit!

Iíd have gone bat shit crazy at the owner of that dog...

BERT'S HEAD 18-09-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 14919153)

A bat out of smell.

Prince Phillip 18-09-2019 02:53 PM

Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isn’t as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.

chrisophiex 18-09-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 14919322)
Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isnít as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.

I understand your point, but if the bag is sealed then the public bin is a safe place to put it.

Itís not a very pleasant thought but itís best people use it, rather than not cleaning up after their dog.

I have to say I felt the same as you, before I owned a dog. But, to be fair, it still feels odd to put it in there.

PALACEWU 18-09-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Phillip (Post 14919322)
Putting their dog shit bags in public bins intended for crisp packets, coke cans and the like really isnít as magnanimous a gesture as the dog owners like to think it is, either.

Well, you should be recycling.

simplex 18-09-2019 11:43 PM

That the Reinheitsgebot isn't enforced throughout the EU...

wedgetail 19-09-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplex (Post 14919595)

What would they serve in Weatherspoons?

chateauferret 19-09-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplex (Post 14919595)

Would it comply with the Palermo Principle? A law that's enforceable in Palermo is enforceable anywhere.

Slimbloke'H' 19-09-2019 02:28 AM

Trolls bumping threads for a reaction...

cranesparkeagle 19-09-2019 02:39 AM

Had 2 standoffs with female drivers who boneheadedly today attempted to force me to retreat between parked cars as ther was no way to pass. on each occasion they joined along roads after I was occupying the space and where they could easily have made room to pass. Why are people so bloody selfish