CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Beatles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198394)

west country boy 30-11-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 16126488)
the rolling stones were basicly a blues cover band:angel:

They started off as a Beatles cover band.

Anyway, I like the Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Zombies, Manfreds &c. Unlike Maidstoned we're not all teenage girls who have to do a Highlander and decide there must be only one.

EdMan 30-11-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16126554)

Anyway, I like the Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Zombies, Manfreds &c. Unlike Maidstoned we're not all teenage girls who have to do a Highlander and decide there must be only one.

Given that the Stones did their first gig on 12 July 1962 and the Beatles didn't release their first single till October 1962, this just has to be bollocks.

The Stones were/are a blues covers band. They've written some good stuff of their own too. :D

Granada allover 30-11-2021 06:43 PM

Please read the history. By Jagger's own admission the Stones knew they could never be a Beatles cover band and deliberately carved out a kind of anti-Beatles bad-boy image – something that made Lennon particularly envious, hating the 'Epstein suits' as he did.

Smoz 30-11-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 16126272)
No it wasn't. Loads of bands were better than them and more advanced musically too. The Rolling Stones pissed on them.

No, I think you are getting confused. The Rolling Stones pissed on a petrol station not the lovable mop tops.

https://gaslightrecords.com/articles...blic-urination

dave_who_ru 30-11-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16126554)

A Beatles cover band! You are having a laugh.

west country boy 30-11-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 16126593)
Given that the Stones did their first gig on 12 July 1962 and the Beatles didn't release their first single till October 1962, this just has to be bollocks.

Of course it's bollocks but their second single was written by McCartney (with help from Lennon).

Also, the Beatles had a time machine which meant they could rip off "Their Satanic Majesties..." with the far inferior "Sergeant Pepper...".

west country boy 30-11-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover (Post 16126598)
Please read the history. By Jagger's own admission the Stones knew they could never be a Beatles cover band and deliberately carved out a kind of anti-Beatles bad-boy image Ė something that made Lennon particularly envious, hating the 'Epstein suits' as he did.

Mind you, Lennon imagined a hippie-dippy world of no possessions while keeping a floor of air-conditioned fur coats and beating up women, gawd bless 'im.

El Aguila 30-11-2021 06:54 PM

Not sure why I feel so blasť about these documentaries - I havenít bothered to watch the Velvet Underground film, or this one.

EdMan 30-11-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16126616)
Mind you, Lennon imagined a hippie-dippy world of no possessions while keeping a floor of air-conditioned fur coats and beating up women, gawd bless 'im.

Yeah he was actually quite complex and messed up, was Lennon. Difficult childhood. Did some quite questionable stuff. Most people either don't know that or just think the music outweighs the rest.

west country boy 30-11-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 16126628)
Yeah he was actually quite complex and messed up, was Lennon. Difficult childhood. Did some quite questionable stuff. Most people either don't know that or just think the music outweighs the rest.

Or have negative IQ and go by the name of Maidstoned Eagle.

spt1978 30-11-2021 07:24 PM

Used to like the Beatles years ago, now if I hear them they just sound dreadfully boring.

Worksop Palace 30-11-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spt1978 (Post 16126641)
Used to like the Beatles years ago, now if I hear them they just sound dreadfully boring.

Thereís a reason for that.

They are.

Maidstoned Eagle 30-11-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 16126629)
Or have negative IQ and go by the name of Maidstoned Eagle.

Im not sure now if you're trying to emulate Workstrop or PeterH......

hughff 30-11-2021 07:32 PM

Maybe it's too much like bringing your work home, El Ag...

Mrs FF has decided we have to watch the Beatles one, so we've done ep 1 but we need a break before the next (Peter Jackson has noooooo concept of time.) However, she's not interested in VU, so I'm going to have to find time on my own.

AJ 01-12-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 16126628)

Always liked the guy, but he appeared to have been a right **** most of his adult life.

Baffled Bob 2 05-12-2021 12:29 PM

This is fun

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...box=1638611403

We've had the same comments almost word for word on here.

Granada allover 05-12-2021 12:42 PM

The long and winding watch is over - and I loved every minute of it.

One review summed up the electrifying contribution of Billy Preston to the events of January 1969 thus: 'The prevailing idea that had surrounded Let It Be for a number of years was that Billy Preston simply walked in the room and magically changed everything for the better. What Get Back shows is that… this is precisely the truth. Even if you were well-read on Preston’s monster musicianship and gregarious nature prior to the series, it’s hard to overstate just how sizable his impact is on the recording sessions. He pretty much single-handedly rescued the project and probably deserved that place in the band that Lennon seemed eager to give him.'

I met Billy at a gig in Holland in 1985 and, because God planned it that way, was given the pleasure of watching those fingers weave their magic from a few feet away at the back of the stage. And for those who think Preston appeared out of thin air in London in 1969, think again. Nat King Cole had already made him famous in the same year Macca went to hear an obscure little band called the Quarrymen for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+nat+king+cole

legaleagle2 05-12-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover (Post 16134161)
The long and winding watch is over - and I loved every minute of it.

One review summed up the electrifying contribution of Billy Preston to the events of January 1969 thus: 'The prevailing idea that had surrounded Let It Be for a number of years was that Billy Preston simply walked in the room and magically changed everything for the better. What Get Back shows is thatÖ this is precisely the truth. Even if you were well-read on Prestonís monster musicianship and gregarious nature prior to the series, itís hard to overstate just how sizable his impact is on the recording sessions. He pretty much single-handedly rescued the project and probably deserved that place in the band that Lennon seemed eager to give him.'

I met Billy at a gig in Holland in 1985 and, because God planned it that way, was given the pleasure of watching those fingers weave their magic from a few feet away at the back of the stage. And for those who think Preston appeared out of thin air in London in 1969, think again. Nat King Cole had already made him famous in the same year Macca went to hear an obscure little band called the Quarrymen for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+nat+king+cole

'The long and winding watch'? Like it!

He'd met the Beatles in Hamburg playing with Little Richard. Wasn't Billy in London because he'd been playing with Ray Charles here? So, definitely not not 'Nothing From Nothing'?

Next book title 'whatever happened to the walrus'?:)

Granada allover 05-12-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legaleagle2 (Post 16134203)
Wasn't Billy in London because he'd been playing with Ray Charles here?

The film tells us he was in London to appear on Lulu's TV show, though Harrison eulogises about his work with Ray Charles, yes.

west country boy 05-12-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover (Post 16134161)
I met Billy at a gig in Holland in 1985 and, because God planned it that way, was given the pleasure of watching those fingers weave their magic from a few feet away at the back of the stage.

Slightly unfortunate phrasing regarding a nonce.