CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Oldtown Eagle 09-12-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 16751715)
Or, has happened to me this week, a ring pull that just snaps off.

Apologies didnít see post above.

Martin H 09-12-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 16751713)
The diagnostic process may have changed - my youngest was diagnosed 6 years ago - but at that point it was an evidence gathering exercise. They considered home, school and social settings and also what they saw in interviews with the person being diagnosed. It wasn't easy to get a diagnosis, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, although it was much easier than getting them an autism diagnosis, which took several years, and my youngest was misdiagnosed by the first consultant who concluded that he couldn't be autistic because he was popular and had lots of friends.

In general in my experience, teachers and other professionals seem to fall into three camps:

The ones that understand and make accommodations accordingly. Unsurprisingly my children have excelled in these classes.

The ones that don't understand but are willing to learn and can be bought onside with patience

The ones that think it's nonsense and just bad behaviour. These tend to be older teachers, although not always, and should probably be encouraged to retire.

Yeah that sounds very familiar. We have family friends that have been through the same thing with schools etc.. They reckon it doesn't help that there isn't a simple test. As a result it's considered by some as vague and mysterious and as a term it's mis-used as a self diagnosed label for anyone that is unruly and seems to diminish the response to those with the genuine issues. Generally speaking we all tend to be a bit ill informed and so I feel your pain as they say.

stevek 09-12-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

The diagnostic process may have changed - my youngest was diagnosed 6 years ago - but at that point it was an evidence gathering exercise. They considered home, school and social settings and also what they saw in interviews with the person being diagnosed. It wasn't easy to get a diagnosis, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, although it was much easier than getting them an autism diagnosis, which took several years, and my youngest was misdiagnosed by the first consultant who concluded that he couldn't be autistic because he was popular and had lots of friends.

In general in my experience, teachers and other professionals seem to fall into three camps:

The ones that understand and make accommodations accordingly. Unsurprisingly my children have excelled in these classes.

The ones that don't understand but are willing to learn and can be bought onside with patience

The ones that think it's nonsense and just bad behaviour. These tend to be older teachers, although not always, and should probably be encouraged to retire.

Thanks for sharing that, Will. A couple of observations from me -

- doing the first needn't and shouldn't be dependent on having a diagnosis.
- if only the third category were just older teachers, and not, for example, prominent government advisers.

Eagle's Nest 09-12-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

I have a friend who adopted two children with his wife. The eldest, a boy, has ADHD which was thought to be caused by his mother's drinking and taking drugs with the baby in utero.

He comes round and tells us about what's going on sometimes. His son has a number of behaviours that are a real challenge - he bolts quite often and is normally found quite far away from home. Usually he gets to the local supermarket where the staff know him quite well now. I find the idea of my children legging it out of the house or climbing out of the garden quite stressful, so god knows how they cope.

They have issues with one set of grandparents where the grandfather just believes it all to be naughtiness and would quite like to smack him.

brighton_eagle 09-12-2022 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 16751769)
Thanks for sharing that, Will. A couple of observations from me -

- doing the first needn't and shouldn't be dependent on having a diagnosis.
- if only the third category were just older teachers, and not, for example, prominent government advisers.

I absolutely agree on both those points. There seems to be a misconception that ADHD diagnoses are handed out like sweets. In my experience, and that of the people I know and come into contact with, that's simply not true.

brighton_eagle 09-12-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest (Post 16751790)
I have a friend who adopted two children with his wife. The eldest, a boy, has ADHD which was thought to be caused by his mother's drinking and taking drugs with the baby in utero.

This is an interesting one to me, and shows the danger of confusing cause and correlation. There are studies that suggest that ADHD is higher in children whose mothers have alcohol or drug dependency. BUT, there are also plenty of studies that show alcohol and drug dependency is higher in adults with ADHD, presumably as a method of self medication. Chuck in the fact that girls and women were far less likely to get an ADHD diagnosis, and that there's lot of evidence that ADHD is genetic, and it may just be a case that the ADHD gene is passed down and it has nothing to do with alcohol or drug abuse.

I'm kind of lairy about these sort of connections, because parents of children with SEN like autism and ADHD spend a lot of time blaming themselves in various ways, or being blamed by various agencies.

Anyway, apologies. I've probably diverted this thread enough.

stevek 09-12-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 16751796)
This is an interesting one to me, and shows the danger of confusing cause and correlation. There are studies that suggest that ADHD is higher in children whose mothers have alcohol or drug dependency. BUT, there are also plenty of studies that show alcohol and drug dependency is higher in adults with ADHD, presumably as a method of self medication. Chuck in the fact that girls and women were far less likely to get an ADHD diagnosis, and that there's lot of evidence that ADHD is genetic, and it may just be a case that the ADHD gene is passed down and it has nothing to do with alcohol or drug abuse.

I'm kind of lairy about these sort of connections, because parents of children with SEN like autism and ADHD spend a lot of time blaming themselves in various ways, or being blamed by various agencies.

Foetal alcohol syndrome is definitely a thing, but equally I agree with you entirely about "parental blame" - there was some really good research published last year on children's services approach to parent carers of disabled children.

Martin H 09-12-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 16751796)

Really interesting and no need to apologise. I appreciate you sharing your insights/experience.

churley1988 09-12-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16751537)
Buying tins of tuna and then finding there isn't a ring pull.

Getting back to the office to find people have heated up their tuna in the communal microwave :wallbash:

PeterH 09-12-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churley1988 (Post 16751832)
Getting back to the office to find people have heated up their tuna in the communal microwave :wallbash:

Ooooh. This is a rich vein. I believe we have been here before.

firesign 09-12-2022 06:33 PM

Footballers taking their shirt off to celebrate scoring a goal.

Alfies army 09-12-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firesign (Post 16751904)

Absolutely agree itís disrespecting the club shirt

big bad John 09-12-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firesign (Post 16751904)

It always comes across as, "look at me, I get paid loads of money to sculpt this temple in the gym each day with my personal nutritionist on standby.":rolleyes:

RazorsEdge 09-12-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churley1988 (Post 16751832)

Yeah, sounds fishy to me

churley1988 09-12-2022 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 16752009)
Yeah, sounds fishy to me

All Iím saying is, thereís a time and a plaice for it.

HOL_Beagle 09-12-2022 08:33 PM

I hate 'Christmassy' tunes piped over shop PAs.

And yet, found myself unwittingly singing along in Sainsbury's this evening...'Walking along, singing a song, walking in a Freedman Wonderland'

RazorsEdge 09-12-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churley1988 (Post 16752013)

:lux:

stevek 09-12-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churley1988 (Post 16752013)

It gives me a migraine, or at least a bad haddock.

Mr Mojo Risin 09-12-2022 10:57 PM

The camera angle for penalty shoot outs. I much prefer the usual sideways angle than the one behind the player.

Sick Bucket 09-12-2022 11:28 PM

Chopsticks.

**** 'em knife and fork definitely better.