CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Football (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   European breakaway super league (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264113)

nicobos 02-03-2016 06:18 AM

European breakaway super league

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-league.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ds-big-7475511

Rumours that the 'big' prem clubs are meeting to discuss creating a European domestic league in order to monopolise TV revenues. Would be awful for the premiership if there's a closed shop European league which you can only enter by invite only.

I can understand why the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Moan United may be giving it serious consideration as the realisation dawns that the likes of Leicester and spuds may be snapping up the champions league places.

They are no longer assured a top four spot just by turning up and now want to change the rules back in their favour! (A bit like palace being denied a European spot the season we came 3rd in the league!!!!).

How close to reality do you think this is to coming into to being? Or do you think it's a bluff to put pressure on uefa?

Now that football is all about money and 'global TV audiences'...nothing would surprise me anymore...

Adlerhorst 02-03-2016 06:36 AM

Depends from whose side. If it were Milan etc I would think it was likely to be a bluff. That it is the English clubs, I wouldn't be surprised if they genuinely want out. The vast vast majority of the Premier League TV monies comes from people wanting to watch them, rather than Palace. But those same clubs they are essentially subsidising stop them from selling their own to rights.

GreatGonzo 02-03-2016 06:42 AM

I have no issue with it as long as they are no longer FA affiliated, don't take part in Leavue or FA cup and will not be allowed to re-enter at the top if/when it all collapses.

Terrible for the fans where away games are all hundreds of miles away and the teams used to winning things will soon find that changes as English sides rarely win the CL.

palacea 02-03-2016 06:51 AM

Heard it all before, just another way to either get more money out of Uefa or ensure they automatically qualify. Probably both.

David of Kent 02-03-2016 07:14 AM

I think it would fail dramatically. Long built rivalries and history have a huge part to play in football and yes the English clubs think it would be jolly sexy and it would earn billions in TV money for them, but I think their fans will soon tire of it, particularly when they are not challenging at all in such an environment. The current "big 5" would be little more than mid and lower league fayre amongst the biggest teams in Europe, as the last five years have shown us and that's been at a time when they've had financial mastery over nearly all the other European "giants". Give them teams comparative budgets and our teams could suffer even more. I believe this is posturing in order to try and get a greater cut of the Premier League money. I don't think there is real desire to do this

ellioteagle1 02-03-2016 07:21 AM

Let them do it. Wages will drop which would be the best thing that could possibly happen to English football.

kevb 02-03-2016 07:27 AM

Good riddance

chelmsfordeagle 02-03-2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 12851042)
I have no issue with it as long as they are no longer FA affiliated, don't take part in Leavue or FA cup and will not be allowed to re-enter at the top if/when it all collapses.

Terrible for the fans where away games are all hundreds of miles away and the teams used to winning things will soon find that changes as English sides rarely win the CL.

i agree with much of this. Fans from clubs like Arsenal moan about not winning the league for 10 odd years. How are fans like this going to cope when their team is finishing 20th? The reality is that clubs would be allowed to rejoin because they make money for everyone.
One thing that is very noticeable going to matches in Spain is the lack of away fans. Real Madrid playing Sevilla on a Saturday had about 500. there just isnt the culture, for a number of reasons, of fans going to away games.

BBK 02-03-2016 07:50 AM

I like the idea. See you later.

Reg_Maudling 02-03-2016 07:52 AM

hope this happens asap

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicobos (Post 12851023)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-league.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ds-big-7475511

Rumours that the 'big' prem clubs are meeting to discuss creating a European domestic league in order to monopolise TV revenues. Would be awful for the premiership if there's a closed shop European league which you can only enter by invite only.

I can understand why the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Moan United may be giving it serious consideration as the realisation dawns that the likes of Leicester and spuds may be snapping up the champions league places.

They are no longer assured a top four spot just by turning up and now want to change the rules back in their favour! (A bit like palace being denied a European spot the season we came 3rd in the league!!!!).

How close to reality do you think this is to coming into to being? Or do you think it's a bluff to put pressure on uefa?

Now that football is all about money and 'global TV audiences'...nothing would surprise me anymore...

johnnytemper 02-03-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

The issue with that is they currently have the rest of the Premier League over a barrel with the new TV deal coming in. Those deals might be for the Premier League as a whole, but there'd be a big renegotiation if those five were to be kicked out. Ironically, I don't agree that the collective bargaining harms the TV money these clubs receive, just look at the deals foreign clubs receive in general.

This stuff gets trots out every few years, usually to try to pressure UEFA into doing something. While Man C and Arsenal are there just in case anything comes of it - they don't want to be left behind - I suspect the other three have got 'Champions League wildcards for past winners' as their focus. Pretty silly, but far less so than an actual European league - maybe a novelty and money spinner at first, but the hard reality is that most teams involved will have nothing to play for except to avoid the wooden spoon come mid-season...goodbye TV audience.

Random* 02-03-2016 08:33 AM

After a period of stability and dominance from those top clubs, there's a number of threats to them right now.

The recent growth of TV money has no doubt made it harder for that bunch. Liverpool, Man Utd and this season Chelsea have been knocked off the top perches and they can't guarantee that they'll monopolise the Champions League money between them any more.

They can't even buy their way in as other clubs won't even automatically sell them their best players any more! :sob:

With more money coming in it's only going to get harder for them as other clubs close up the previous gap in scouting networks and facilities.

Meanwhile FIFA and UEFA are changing, and they can see a growing threat to their global fan bases from China.

I don't think a Euro Super League would happen - but they'll threaten it anyway just to try and get some concessions to help prop them up at the top of the pile.

little al 02-03-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevb (Post 12851101)
Good riddance

^

mroakley9 02-03-2016 08:33 AM

Lol Liverpool trying to get involved...they haven't done anything of note in over a decade

Neckinger Eagle 02-03-2016 09:25 AM

Of course this is going to happen sooner or later. Owners of the richer clubs are going to want to protect their investments. Or an alternative way of looking at it is that they want to guarantee their incomes.

Local rivalries? Traditions? I think old school supporters like to romanticise these things but they don't count for much on the balance sheet. Why should Man U worry that they guy in Salford can't afford to see his side play Liverpool when they can extract more cash from the Asian tourist travelling over to see a game against Barcelona?

Look at it from Palace's perspective. Matches against Charlton and Millwall have disappeared into insignificance when we get a truck load of money to play Stoke. We don't even have to have anybody in the stadium.

I'm sure we all mean it when we say 'good riddance' but there are five or six clubs responsible for the riches that Palace currently have access to. If the top level is a closed shop and we find ourselves outside it the future would be beak. When it comes to the modern, 24/7/365 I want it all and now society of the young who would want to watch a professional sports team that has no hope of reaching the pinnacle of the sport whatsoever, especially when all you need is to find an internet stream of the rich and famous?

Neckinger Eagle 02-03-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroakley9 (Post 12851235)
Lol Liverpool trying to get involved...they haven't done anything of note in over a decade

It's not how successful a company you are that counts, it's what you bring to the bargaining table. This won't be a meritocracy. The Liverpool franchise would be worth a hell of a lot to broadcasters just because of the narrative of not walking alone, 5 European Cups, Shankley, Hillsborough and more importantly Fenway. The gift that keeps on giving

SHIPEAGLE 02-03-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Sounds like Kerry Packers cricket circus, also the FA should ban any players who play in it and not allow them to play for England

Palace_Akie 02-03-2016 11:08 AM

For the big 5 there is no downside, if a super league collapses then they know that the FA and PL would have them back in a heartbeat. If its a success then they get even more money than they already do and they don't have to worry about their place at the top table being threatened by Leicester, Spurs or anyone else.

stevek 02-03-2016 11:50 AM

Is the Chelsea bloke in the Telegraph picture Claudio Ranieri's dad?

Palacemad2002 02-03-2016 11:57 AM

Good riddance. Get rid of the clubs who help to price out the normal fans. They'll take the glitz, glamour and all round bull shit with them leading to some normality with ticket prices and player wages, but most importantly a more competitive and level playing field back here in the domestic game.

Does anyone honestly enjoy playing or visiting those clubs anymore? Quite frankly i always feel patronised when visiting their grounds or mixing amongst their fans... Almost like anyone outside their circle of top 5 clubs are just there to make up the rest of the division and are an irrelevance when showing up at their grounds. They've had that threatened with some normality this year and they're panicking already.