CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

Dave 01-08-2008 11:31 PM

anyone know how to delete a calendar from your iphone?

Dave 01-08-2008 11:37 PM

nevermind - got it

Stavros 69 02-08-2008 12:12 AM

DOTY if you need any help i just wanted to let you know i'm still up.

klimskady 02-08-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stavros 69
How do you know when you will be able to get an iphone ? :confused:
I phoned o2 and asked if there was a chance of me getting an Iphone before my contract ended with them at the end of October... They said no... :sob:

James Melody 02-08-2008 11:44 AM

OK, I returned my touch diamond and got an iPhone.

The iPhone is nice, pushes email from the exchange server I am connected to. It won't sync contacts though for some reason.

iTunes is such a pile of crap though. I activated it from my PC in work but it now won't sync properly with my PC at home. I downloaded some free apps to stick on it but they won't transfer as the iPhone is not authorised.

I can't figure out how to actually transfer a selection of songs onto the device without screwing up the relationship between my iPod Classic and iTunes.

Is there any way to get music onto this without using the pile of crap that is iTunes?

sheriff 02-08-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
I meant the application. It's free and I highly reccomend
Nice one, that is an amazin app! Anyone know of any paid apps that are worthwhile?

GodstoneEagle 02-08-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheriff
Nice one, that is an amazin app! Anyone know of any paid apps that are worthwhile?
i can't stop using it now! terrific

cumbrian_eagles 02-08-2008 04:21 PM

ok bit miffed here, O2 are telling me I haven't activated my phone and that everything has been charged at my old tariff rate. However I fail to see how I can't of done this as I plugged it in and followed instructions on the day of release and have plugged it in every few days since so surely they will of noticed it being activated as it is a fully functional phone!

Ridcully 02-08-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
OK, I returned my touch diamond and got an iPhone.

The iPhone is nice, pushes email from the exchange server I am connected to. It won't sync contacts though for some reason.

iTunes is such a pile of crap though. I activated it from my PC in work but it now won't sync properly with my PC at home. I downloaded some free apps to stick on it but they won't transfer as the iPhone is not authorised.

I can't figure out how to actually transfer a selection of songs onto the device without screwing up the relationship between my iPod Classic and iTunes.

Is there any way to get music onto this without using the pile of crap that is iTunes?

Don't know what you are doing wrong, I sync four ipods to mine and an iPhone no problem. I use playlists to transfer exactly what I want. Just plug the device in, manually manage the music and select the playlists you want to transfer. I have all the devices setup as different playlists.

You should be able to do contacts over the air, just select them on the iPhone.

Have you authorised your home computer to access your itunes account? On the Mac just click on Store then authorise computer. Compared to WMP, iTunes is ace. Amarok is better but iTunes is not bad at all.

cumbrian_eagles 02-08-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
ok bit miffed here, O2 are telling me I haven't activated my phone and that everything has been charged at my old tariff rate. However I fail to see how I can't of done this as I plugged it in and followed instructions on the day of release and have plugged it in every few days since so surely they will of noticed it being activated as it is a fully functional phone!
Seemingly the O2 store managed to get my phone number wrong twice in 2 different ways, a lovely Scottish lady is sorting me out now :)

Ridcully 02-08-2008 06:35 PM

The google app is great, find anything near you using maps as an integrated app. Just type pizza near me and it highlights all the local pizza houses, click on one and it gives you the phone number, address and website, this is what the phone is all about.

Dave 02-08-2008 11:17 PM

I have my google calendar syncing to exchange which pushes to my phone. I have all my calendars syncing over the air to Iphone, what an age we live in.

If podcasts could sync over the air I'd never plug my phone into my computer again.

Ridcully 02-08-2008 11:52 PM

Hmmmm, just found out that Yahoo mail does push to the iPhone, I assume gmail will support this at some point too but its annoying it doesn't yet. Thinking about setting a yahoo account up and auto-forwarding my mail to that for now.

Ridcully 03-08-2008 01:59 AM

Dave I see there a couple of MythTV remote control apps available now in the free apps. If they work as well as Remote then they'll be worth a download for the mini.

Dave 03-08-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Hmmmm, just found out that Yahoo mail does push to the iPhone, I assume gmail will support this at some point too but its annoying it doesn't yet. Thinking about setting a yahoo account up and auto-forwarding my mail to that for now.
you might be waiting a while for free push mail :(

GodstoneEagle 04-08-2008 02:52 AM

A friend has just come back from New York with 6 3G iPhones, he plans on making enough from them to pay back this year's student loan!

cheeky

Ridcully 04-08-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
you might be waiting a while for free push mail :(
Available now through Yahoo, Google rumoured to be bringing it later this year.

Dave 04-08-2008 11:10 AM

I heard a rumour google are holding fire possibly to launch with android

James Melody 04-08-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Don't know what you are doing wrong, I sync four ipods to mine and an iPhone no problem. I use playlists to transfer exactly what I want. Just plug the device in, manually manage the music and select the playlists you want to transfer. I have all the devices setup as different playlists.

You should be able to do contacts over the air, just select them on the iPhone.

Have you authorised your home computer to access your itunes account? On the Mac just click on Store then authorise computer. Compared to WMP, iTunes is ace. Amarok is better but iTunes is not bad at all.

If I want to transfer music over without adding songs to playlists can I do this? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop music onto the iPod. (Or at least tag albums to copy over) My iPod classis is the 160GB version so I just sync everything with it.

As regards the contacts I have selected them to sync over the air - I even spoke to Apple support who said they didn't know why it wasn't working. Unfortunatly the support people I spoke to didn't seem too tech savvy. Anyone know how I can sync the contacts via iTunes without screwing up the exchange syncing?

The iTunes issue is a pain in the arse. I have iTunes setup at home with my personal email address. I set it up in the office with my work email address. How do I get it to use my personal itunes account?

GodstoneEagle 04-08-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
If I want to transfer music over without adding songs to playlists can I do this? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop music onto the iPod. (Or at least tag albums to copy over) My iPod classis is the 160GB version so I just sync everything with it. you can, just tick "manually manage music" and then it's drag&drop

As regards the contacts I have selected them to sync over the air - I even spoke to Apple support who said they didn't know why it wasn't working. Unfortunatly the support people I spoke to didn't seem too tech savvy. Anyone know how I can sync the contacts via iTunes without screwing up the exchange syncing?
no, sorry

The iTunes issue is a pain in the arse. I have iTunes setup at home with my personal email address. I set it up in the office with my work email address. How do I get it to use my personal itunes account?
you can log out then sign in to your personal account at the top of your iTunes[/b]

KingsleY 04-08-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
If I want to transfer music over without adding songs to playlists can I do this? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop music onto the iPod. (Or at least tag albums to copy over) My iPod classis is the 160GB version so I just sync everything with it.

As regards the contacts I have selected them to sync over the air - I even spoke to Apple support who said they didn't know why it wasn't working. Unfortunatly the support people I spoke to didn't seem too tech savvy. Anyone know how I can sync the contacts via iTunes without screwing up the exchange syncing?

The iTunes issue is a pain in the arse. I have iTunes setup at home with my personal email address. I set it up in the office with my work email address. How do I get it to use my personal itunes account?

Just as a note, you can run more thna one library at a time.
When you open itunes, press and hold shift, and you can alternate between libraries.

Dave 04-08-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
If I want to transfer music over without adding songs to playlists can I do this? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop music onto the iPod. (Or at least tag albums to copy over) My iPod classis is the 160GB version so I just sync everything with it.

As regards the contacts I have selected them to sync over the air - I even spoke to Apple support who said they didn't know why it wasn't working. Unfortunatly the support people I spoke to didn't seem too tech savvy. Anyone know how I can sync the contacts via iTunes without screwing up the exchange syncing?

The iTunes issue is a pain in the arse. I have iTunes setup at home with my personal email address. I set it up in the office with my work email address. How do I get it to use my personal itunes account?

I'm fairly sure you don't want to sync contacts via Itunes if you ever want to get OTA working.

Are you sure that you have contacts to sync over the air?

klimskady 04-08-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
A friend has just come back from New York with 6 3G iPhones, he plans on making enough from them to pay back this year's student loan!

cheeky

16GB?

If so how much does he want for one ;)

GodstoneEagle 04-08-2008 05:15 PM

too much IMO

Swanny32 04-08-2008 05:19 PM

Are these becoming more readily available yet?

Dave 04-08-2008 05:25 PM

new stock released most days

http://shop.o2.co.uk/info/?cm_re=Her...iphone3GLaunch

I wouldn't buy one from some abroad as you will need to jailbreak it to get it to work on a network here.

Swanny32 04-08-2008 05:28 PM

Due an upgrade at the start of next month, hopefully everything will be sorted out by then and i'll be able to bag one without to many headaches!

klimskady 04-08-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
too much IMO
Ah ok.

I will wait as patiently as I can till the end of October.

PalaceMonkey 04-08-2008 05:49 PM

stop looking at this thread and getting all excited then Klim! :)

James Melody 04-08-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
I'm fairly sure you don't want to sync contacts via Itunes if you ever want to get OTA working.

Are you sure that you have contacts to sync over the air?

Yes, I have abot 100 contacts in my contacts list to sync. For some reason if I create a new contact on my iPhone it shows up in my outlook but not the other way around.

What sort of battery life are you getting out of your iPhone Dave? With the push email coming in for exchange I am not even getting one day with light use.

klimskady 04-08-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
stop looking at this thread and getting all excited then Klim! :)
But the urge to keep coming back on to look is so strong PM, even my TV is plotting against me as it keeps advertising it :bash:

Dave 04-08-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
Yes, I have abot 100 contacts in my contacts list to sync. For some reason if I create a new contact on my iPhone it shows up in my outlook but not the other way around.

What sort of battery life are you getting out of your iPhone Dave? With the push email coming in for exchange I am not even getting one day with light use.

about a day but i use mine a lot.

James Melody 04-08-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
about a day but i use mine a lot.
Mine has been sat on my desk all day. I have checked two voice mails and double checked the exchange settings on the device. It is now flat. Do you think I have a dud battery?

Dave 04-08-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
Mine has been sat on my desk all day. I have checked two voice mails and double checked the exchange settings on the device. It is now flat. Do you think I have a dud battery?
do you have anything paused on the ipod?

James Melody 04-08-2008 07:10 PM

I have no media on the iPod

Ridcully 04-08-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
I'm fairly sure you don't want to sync contacts via Itunes if you ever want to get OTA working.

Are you sure that you have contacts to sync over the air?

Def true, you can do one or the other not both.

Ridcully 04-08-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
Mine has been sat on my desk all day. I have checked two voice mails and double checked the exchange settings on the device. It is now flat. Do you think I have a dud battery?
Mine did that once, died after about two hours and I hardly used it, however, since then its pretty much lasted the day.

Ridcully 04-08-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
If I want to transfer music over without adding songs to playlists can I do this? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop music onto the iPod. (Or at least tag albums to copy over) My iPod classis is the 160GB version so I just sync everything with it.

Keep the 160Gb as it is but just create a single playlist called iPhone. Drag and drop to your hearts content on the iPhone playlist and sync just this to the phone, definitely the easiest way to do things.

You can drag and drop one at a time but if you need to reset your phone for any reason you'll have to repeat the manual process as iTunes won't remember it whereas it will also retain the playlist.

sheriff 04-08-2008 08:57 PM

Anybody got aurora feint yet? Cant get enough of it!

Ridcully 04-08-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheriff
Anybody got aurora feint yet? Cant get enough of it!
Bang!!!






Could resist....I shot the Sheriff but I didn't shoot no deputy :D

Oh and whats Aurora Feint do then?

arussell 05-08-2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Swanny32
Are these becoming more readily available yet?
Carphone Warehouse in Sutton had 8 and 16 gig models on Saturday.

James Melody 05-08-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Mine did that once, died after about two hours and I hardly used it, however, since then its pretty much lasted the day.
I spoke to O2 and they are sending me a replacement.

AndyStreet 05-08-2008 10:02 PM

2.0.1 seems much snappier.

klimskady 05-08-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
I spoke to O2 and they are sending me a replacement.
Are you having to return the dodgy one?

Dave 05-08-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AndyStreet
2.0.1 seems much snappier.
yup - liking the update

Brett 06-08-2008 02:41 PM

Dave,

Please change iphone in the thread title to iPhone. I appreciate that the new wave of Apple customers make this mistake (along with i-phone, Iphone etc) but I thought you were above such ghastly errors.

Yours,

Steve Jobs

(Not sure why he wanted me to ask)

Dave 06-08-2008 02:55 PM

I dinnae geddit

AndyStreet 06-08-2008 03:07 PM

I love my Ifone.

Just in case anyone was wondering, 2.0.1 seems to have eradicated the sticky keys issue on texts but GPS now doesn't seem quite so precise. Safari quits have been significantly reduced though; it's only occurred once so far.

Brett 06-08-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AndyStreet
I love my Ifone.
You utter bastard! :love:

James Melody 06-08-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klimskady
Are you having to return the dodgy one?
yes, funnily enough I turned off the following :

GPS
3G
Push Email

and the battery seems fine....

:sob:

Dave 07-08-2008 03:19 PM

My Iphone is getting super hot after the last update

gadford4th 07-08-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
My Iphone is getting super hot after the last update
My friend's blistered in the heat of Turkey. He is not happy.

GodstoneEagle 07-08-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
My Iphone is getting super hot after the last update
no change in mine really

Ridcully 07-08-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
yes, funnily enough I turned off the following :

GPS
3G
Push Email

and the battery seems fine....

:sob:

Could be push...I don't do that.

cumbrian_eagles 07-08-2008 08:48 PM

Mine was a bit warm the other day, wasn't overly hot just warmer than I'd noticed in a while.

James Melody 07-08-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Could be push...I don't do that.
Whole thread on the Apple support forums :

http://discussions.apple.co/thread.j...21327&tstart=0

I guess Apple have dropped the ball with their Exchange implementation

Dave 07-08-2008 11:10 PM

push isn't just for exchange...

push is hard to get right, it's a tricky technology

James Melody 07-08-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave


push is hard to get right

I think Apple know that now.


:(

Dave 07-08-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Melody
I think Apple know that now.


:(

I'm sure updates will tweak it.

It's working for me right me mostly.

I'm sure your nasty windows phone had poor battery life.

James Melody 07-08-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
I'm sure updates will tweak it.

It's working for me right me mostly.

I'm sure your nasty windows phone had poor battery life.

Yes - I would struggle to get two days out of it. This is just silly.

sheriff 08-08-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Bang!!!
Could resist....I shot the Sheriff but I didn't shoot no deputy :D
Oh and whats Aurora Feint do then?

Well...its a puzzle game where you have to get 3 blocks in a row to make em disappear, but you can tip the iphone to make the blocks fall up down left right. Really cool.

However I synced with my PC the other night and it took it off:(

Ridcully 08-08-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheriff
Well...its a puzzle game where you have to get 3 blocks in a row to make em disappear, but you can tip the iphone to make the blocks fall up down left right. Really cool.

However I synced with my PC the other night and it took it off:(

It was removed for a while due to a security problem but should be back now if you resync

Dave 08-08-2008 01:11 PM

Upgrade secured

Dave 08-08-2008 05:25 PM

bastards

Dave 08-08-2008 05:29 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...-i-am-ric.html

klimskady 10-08-2008 11:52 PM

o2 are twats.

They have decided to put an extra 20 a month on my bill without my consent.

They can do one... Five years paying them for them to do that.. No way.

Right so now I want to get an unlocked Iphone and to get it on a Pay as You Go Sim.

GodstoneEagle 11-08-2008 01:40 AM

Mistake. To make the most of an iPhone it is essential to have free web. Pay and go will be extortionate.

klimskady 11-08-2008 11:59 AM

Oh Balls to that then.

Well I have managed to get them to give me some of the money back they have taken as a goodwill gesture and they are allowing me to get an Iphone today!

So bit of a result :lux: :lux:

I think I am going to be a devil and get a 16GB. :eek:

klimskady 11-08-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klimskady
Oh Balls to that then.

Well I have managed to get them to give me some of the money back they have taken as a goodwill gesture and they are allowing me to get an Iphone today!

So bit of a result :lux: :lux:

I think I am going to be a devil and get a 16GB. :eek:

Except I couldn't get a 16gb as the assistant sold the last two to the guy in front of me.

Funnily enough I thought it was one per person.

FFS. :veryangry :veryangry

I dunno if its worth all this shit to be honest. :(

Dave 11-08-2008 02:11 PM

I would hold on for a 16

AndyStreet 12-08-2008 12:09 PM

I keep on getting a message that 'This accessory is not made to work with iPhone' when I haven't got any accessories plugged in. Any ideas? It's getting annoying.

Dave 12-08-2008 12:11 PM

try reseating the sim - might need to go to Apple :(

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...one-18643.html

AndyStreet 12-08-2008 12:13 PM

Goddammit. :(

AndyStreet 12-08-2008 12:33 PM

I think I may have found the problem and fixed it. :lux:

Dave 12-08-2008 12:35 PM

Jam on the simcard?

AndyStreet 12-08-2008 12:38 PM

Nope, a teensy bit of tin foil had made its way into the docking port, probably from a sweet wrapper or something in my pocket. Used a paper clip to get it out and the messages have now stopped. :)

Dave 12-08-2008 12:40 PM

Classic.

Good news anyways

AndyStreet 12-08-2008 12:45 PM

We all have our blonde moments sometimes. :D At least I noticed before going to the Apple store and looking like a tit.

On an iPhone related note, I'm still hoping Netshare will make it back onto the App Store at some stage. I've also treated myself to Beatmaker. It's a little music app which you can use to record 16 part beats on the move. It's pretty good and certainly makes my commute fly by.

Dave 12-08-2008 12:47 PM

I'm seriously considering jailbreaking my 3G - I did my V1 to Teaser coulkd use it on t-mobile

I'd like to have the lastfm app running in realtime and scrobbling direct from itunes would be fab

Shoreditch CPFC 12-08-2008 01:37 PM

I thought you hated jailbreaks. Can you do my Itouch so I can get Skype? :)

Stavros 69 12-08-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
I'm seriously considering jailbreaking my 3G - I did my V1 to Teaser coulkd use it on t-mobile

I'd like to have the lastfm app running in realtime and scrobbling direct from itunes would be fab

Why would you jailbreak it David ??

Dave 12-08-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
I thought you hated jailbreaks. Can you do my Itouch so I can get Skype? :)
It is a PITA.

In fact Claire has just told me the internet isn't working on her Iphone right now :(

klimskady 13-08-2008 10:09 AM

O2 Crawley are getting to me now.

I was told they were getting more in yesterday but low and behold no, they are now saying that they may be getting some 16gb in tomorrow... I can't say I am holding to much hope though.

The Carphone Warehouse has them in stock on their website but I would imagine they would want to start a fresh contract rather than renew my current one?

Dave 13-08-2008 04:53 PM

Hmmm - my battery life is taking a bit of a battering. The lastfm streaming seems to kill it - ditto playing Iplayer videos downloaded

Ridcully 13-08-2008 09:25 PM

battery usage is very random. Yesterday after a couple of hours of web use and 20 mind or so of calls I still had 20% at the end of the day. Today with next to no use the same. Monday I left the phone in my car by accident and when I came back it was still full. Random behaviour is annoying

Dave 14-08-2008 02:05 PM

Yeah - it sucks :(

My latest fad is downloading the Quicktime files from Iplayer and chucking them on the iphone, the picture quality is stunning!

klimskady 14-08-2008 02:50 PM

Well whaddya know I have finally got one. :lux:

Ok then time for the important stuff :D what Apps are the best and should I go down the Jailbrake route to get 3rd party Apps?

Dave 14-08-2008 02:53 PM

Thinking about it the only app I use regularly is Lastfm

Jailbreak isn't simple and I'm guessing you would be upset if you brick it.

klimskady 14-08-2008 03:03 PM

I would be quite upset yes.

Looks like I shall have to wait for a bit and look into it again.

Dave 14-08-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klimskady
I would be quite upset yes.

Looks like I shall have to wait for a bit and look into it again.

Have a look at the instructions and see how you feel

http://sleepers.net/news/2008/07/25/winpwn-20-guide/

klimskady 14-08-2008 03:22 PM

Cheers for the link, I shall have a look at it and see if it is something I would be brave enough to attempt.

klimskady 14-08-2008 03:55 PM

Did it take an estimated 5 hours for everyone else to update to 2.0.1?

Dave 14-08-2008 03:57 PM

It happens for a few people

GodstoneEagle 14-08-2008 04:23 PM

Does anyone elses 2g freeze up occasionally?

Dave 14-08-2008 04:28 PM

everyones does on this firmware I think :(

I see there is now some discussion that the 3G iphone doesn't meet the 3G standard.

Ridcully 14-08-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klimskady
Did it take an estimated 5 hours for everyone else to update to 2.0.1?
Nope about 15 mins, although it originally estimated 40 mins.

Ridcully 14-08-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
everyones does on this firmware I think :(

I see there is now some discussion that the 3G iphone doesn't meet the 3G standard.

Why? any references?

klimskady 14-08-2008 07:15 PM

Mmm... I think I have a problem, the download keeps crashing and every time I restart it starts from scratch and is still saying 5 hours to download.

My Utorrent was playing up the other day but I have checked my download speed and it is supposedly faster than I have ever had.

I am confused.

klimskady 14-08-2008 08:39 PM

Can't get it to download at all it crashes all the time.. at least now I know I am cursed.

I just don't know what to do. :sob:

Dave 14-08-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
Why? any references?
The crashing or the 3G?

Example 3G post

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...e_not_very_3g/

there are many on the internet. A lot of conspiracy theories about how the 3G handsets got certified for europe


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.