CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

philaire 24-02-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan cola
also loved it had to happen leeds away 76 FA CUP

Keith Macklin, Yorkshire TV. He couldn't get over the quality of Palace's performance that day. Superb stuff.

Hedgehog 24-02-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philaire
1976 Palace 3 Swindon 3 highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8gG8AVIwA

It never ceases to amaze me how bad the pitches are in these old videos... and I was there!

Lord Flange 24-02-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philaire
1976 Palace 3 Swindon 3 highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8gG8AVIwA


The main stand enclosure looks especially neat in that video with it's white wall.

Although seriously lacking in cover, Selhurst was fab back then. No tosser stewards in yellow jackets, no annoying goal music to assault the eardrums; just a muddy pitch with 22 'normal' men playing for a decent rather than obsecene wage.

Bliss :love:

cpfc4evandeva 24-02-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
It never ceases to amaze me how bad the pitches are in these old videos... and I was there!

And yet players like Best, Cruyff and Don Rogers could still control it no problem.

leicester1 24-02-2009 03:46 PM

And fans went Berserko when their team scored a goal,

Bouncing,swaying terraces,full of longer more personal songs,towards players regarded as proper heros,
Songs such as...At number 1 we got ######,we got the best team in the land,.....that song would continue for ages until you'd gone through the whole team,i'm sure Palace had the same....:lux:

Ruskin Old Boy 24-02-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philaire
1976 Palace 3 Swindon 3 highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8gG8AVIwA

Thanks for posting that ...haven't seen those goals since 1976! It was a week before the cup tie against Chelsea.

Away Day Eagle 24-02-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Thanks for posting that ...haven't seen those goals since 1976! It was a week before the cup tie against Chelsea.

A timely reminder - can't beleive we let the 'Valentine's Day' massacre pass this year on here without bumping one the 76 Cup Run threads :grrr:

Ruskin Old Boy 24-02-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Away Day Eagle
A timely reminder - can't beleive we let the 'Valentine's Day' massacre pass this year on here without bumping one the 76 Cup Run threads :grrr:

Never too late http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=179867&page=2 :p

Tony 24-02-2009 04:21 PM

Try this one, Palace versus Yer Actual West 'Am from 1971... we lost as usual (it was the game where Ade Coker scored on his debut and then vanished off the face of the earth), but there's an absolutely cracking panorama of Selhurst Park to open proceedings and, actually, we played quite well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YNYvno-Qg

Ruskin Old Boy 24-02-2009 05:08 PM

Thanks for that Tony, remember that match because not only was it Coker's debut and goal but also John Hughes making his home debut.

Blimey, just looked at the record books, home attendance for the Manure was bigger than the attendance at Old Trafford. How times have changed.

As you say, it's a cracking panorama of Selhurst Park but, as ever, can't see myself in the crowd :o

alan cola 24-02-2009 11:08 PM

thanks and what a great 2nd goal for nicky chatterton in the swindon 3-3 game :)

Hedgehog 25-02-2009 03:07 AM

Odd seeing camera men by the goals, and also goalkeepers picking up the backpass.

Lampard.... like father like son! Fat and dirty!

A lot of "names" in that West Ham team.

Tony 25-02-2009 12:49 PM

Another very old piece of footage from 71... Palace away at the Arse (guess what, we lost again). This is grainy black and white stuff, and seems to be almost in slow motion, but our goal can be seen at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rucGObE4OM0

This is the same thing, but the picture quality might be slightly better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TaMt7XxatA

jookbeard 25-02-2009 12:53 PM

is there any early/mid 80's stuff on Youtube?

Tony 25-02-2009 01:22 PM

Somewhere on there, I think, is that appalling 0-0 draw with Burnley in about 1983 featuring Tommy Langley and Chris Jones at their incomparable worst.

Actually, there's not as much stuff as one might have hoped. I thought perhaps some fans of other clubs might have put stuff up of their teams playing us, but most of the available Palace material appears to be from more recent season goals videos. Swindon Town's official site has the 1989 play-off and that can be found on YouTube.

We just weren't on tv much in the 80s I suppose.

jookbeard 25-02-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony
Somewhere on there, I think, is that appalling 0-0 draw with Burnley in about 1983 featuring Tommy Langley and Chris Jones at their incomparable worst.

Actually, there's not as much stuff as one might have hoped. I thought perhaps some fans of other clubs might have put stuff up of their teams playing us, but most of the available Palace material appears to be from more recent season goals videos. Swindon Town's official site has the 1989 play-off and that can be found on YouTube.

We just weren't on tv much in the 80s I suppose.

Thats a great little clip never seen it before, see the Whitehorse was having its Sainsbury's development and the Holmesdale had that section inserted down the middle for split the away fans, looked a good crowd though, Selhurst was never the same after that

Chocky 07-03-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philaire
1976 Palace 3 Swindon 3 highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8gG8AVIwA

That was a very early game I attended, it summed up what was to come in the decades ahead. We were at the top, Swindon down the bottom, 3-1 up and coasting, gave a stupid penalty away which we even got away with, and STILL fecked it up and threw the win away (and ultimately that season threw promotion away)! Then the next week we beat Chelsea. Mad club.

What a goal by Steve Perrin in the win at Stoke in 1977.


Hedgehog 07-03-2009 01:59 PM

Boy... was that being transmitted from Mars?

Chocky 07-03-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony
Another very old piece of footage from 71... Palace away at the Arse (guess what, we lost again). This is grainy black and white stuff, and seems to be almost in slow motion, but our goal can be seen at the end.

CCTV cameras filmed that from the car park.

ElwissAtMemphis 08-03-2009 11:06 AM

Currently on ITV4.

Chelsea v Liverpool with Tommy Langley playing up-front for Chelsea. He's just skyed one into The Shed from about 10 yards. I missed the start; it's quite an old season. There's a youthful Ray Wilkins and even Chopper bloody Harris still playing for Chelsea. No doubt there will be a few other carthorses that they managed to fob-off on us during the 80's.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.