CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

barnabas 07-01-2013 10:46 AM

Any chance of posting the link of the King's Cross footage? Can think of a fair few people who would be stunned to see themselves on film almost 37 years on.

Chocky 07-01-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnabas
Any chance of posting the link of the King's Cross footage? Can think of a fair few people who would be stunned to see themselves on film almost 37 years on.

I think this works:

http://bit.ly/Wntq5s

barnabas 07-01-2013 12:28 PM

That's the one - thanks. I've known the footage existed for a couple of years but it wasn't until last Easter that I got to see it.

Dorking .Eagle 04-02-2013 08:08 AM

Not Palace related, but ITV4 have an episode on now. George Burley featuring for Ipswich, lots of snow and an orange ball.
This programme is on at random times - only found it because when I turned the telly on it was still on itv4 from the african footy last night

monkey nuts 12-03-2013 02:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0TbxEiiBI

C Palace v Charlton 1981

Gazza2 12-03-2013 04:01 PM

Ha ha brilliant. I am pretty sure that is my mate Sicknote in the Kings X clip who, just after the girl kisses Big Mal on the lips, can be seen in the brown fedora and checked coat walking around in semi circle with both fists raised in air. Have asked him to confirm. He had a lot more hair back then. Cannot see the 8.5 year old me in that clip sadly, though I was there somewhere.
I am suprised that fans were looking so happy. Yes, we won at Sunderland but due to operating difficulties only those on the first 3 football special trains saw the whole 90 mins. Those on the 4th like me missed the first 15 mins. Those on the 5th missed the first half. And those on the 6th, I think, did not see any of the game.
As consolation, British rail provided us with free trains to the next away game which was Mansfield. So we took shed loads to that game. Drew 1 all I think with Peter Taylor scoring.

Chocky 13-03-2013 12:28 PM


Marshian 13-03-2013 12:38 PM

Some rubbish keepy uppy there

Marki 30-03-2013 10:43 AM

The Palace - Notts County show is on ITV4 again tomorrow morning at 8.50am and again on Tuesday at 7am.

art malice 30-03-2013 12:46 PM

They revisit that game a lot. Has most of The Big Match archive been wiped?

eagles073 31-03-2013 10:16 AM

Watching the big match revisited, my youngest has said Hilaire is just like Zaha.

Nth Kent Eagle 06-05-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza2
Ha ha brilliant. I am pretty sure that is my mate Sicknote in the Kings X clip who, just after the girl kisses Big Mal on the lips, can be seen in the brown fedora and checked coat walking around in semi circle with both fists raised in air. Have asked him to confirm. He had a lot more hair back then. Cannot see the 8.5 year old me in that clip sadly, though I was there somewhere.
I am suprised that fans were looking so happy. Yes, we won at Sunderland but due to operating difficulties only those on the first 3 football special trains saw the whole 90 mins. Those on the 4th like me missed the first 15 mins. Those on the 5th missed the first half. And those on the 6th, I think, did not see any of the game.
As consolation, British rail provided us with free trains to the next away game which was Mansfield. So we took shed loads to that game. Drew 1 all I think with Peter Taylor scoring.

I was on the first train and we didn't get there until nearly half time. I think we were the last there.

Dorking .Eagle 07-05-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice
They revisit that game a lot. Has most of The Big Match archive been wiped?

No. Just that ITV4 have a limited selection which they keep reusing, rather than working their way through the whole lot.

You can buy old 'The Big Match' dvds direct and unreleased from ITV sales
They want to charge £150 for one programmes worth !!!

Al From Bromley 07-05-2013 01:05 PM

Wish they'd show the Charlton game from 1974-75. It was the main game on the Big Match, Palace won 2-1 and I was a guest of the club for the day having won the Palace in the Past competition they used to run in the matchday programme.

ammiller 10-05-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al From Bromley
Wish they'd show the Charlton game from 1974-75. It was the main game on the Big Match, Palace won 2-1 and I was a guest of the club for the day having won the Palace in the Past competition they used to run in the matchday programme.

It's on the centenary DVD

monkey 10-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagles073
Watching the big match revisited, my youngest has said Hilaire is just like Zaha.

he's here,he's there,he's every fooking where wilf zaha,wilf zaha............hmmm,does have a ring to it doesn't it!!:D

Boyandy 17-06-2013 02:30 PM

I was checking out an old football site the other day when I saw the following link:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/BigMatch.html

It's basically a list of all of the covered matches by region. Given that a team such as QPR have got the following

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Queens-Park-...+big+match+qpr

out available to buy, I wonder if there would be mileage in trying to get a Palace version released?

Chocky 18-06-2013 01:24 PM

Palace 2 Boro 3 September 1973.

"So Crystal Palace get us away defending the goal to our right in their new strip for this season of red and blue stripes with blue shorts."




Chocky 08-02-2015 08:24 PM

I saw Derby v Fulham 1983 the other day when Derby had to win to stay up and Fulham had to win and hope Leicester didn't win. Derby won 1-0 but the crowd buggered about the last 5 or 10 minutes by encroaching and one fan even kicked a Fulham player on the ball. The game was ended with 2 minutes to go so Fulham appealed for a replay. It was turned down but had they replayed it Derby were safe anyway as results had panned out. So Fulham could well have won denying Leicester promotion, playing against a side on holiday. I have no idea what the f*ck I'm going on about I'm pissed.

Anyway in that Fulham team was Jeff Hopkins at right back, Ray Houghton and Ray Lewington.

Just saying.

DARZET EAGLE 09-02-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 10909621)

Great footage, all the memories flood back. I obviously recognise the great John Jackson in goal (no gloves you note) and a young Alan Stephenson, a centre half who became one of our best ever before he moved to West Ham for a big fee. The Hammers seemed to snap up our young stars in those days taking Stephenson, John Jackson and the great Johnny Byrne.

jhc 09-02-2015 11:35 AM

From my recollection Jacko never went to West Ham. When Malcolm decided he no longer wanted Jacko (big mistake) he moved on to Orient.

DARZET EAGLE 09-02-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 12233392)
From my recollection Jacko never went to West Ham. When Malcolm decided he no longer wanted Jacko (big mistake) he moved on to Orient.

Perfectly correct, my mistake. He moved from Palace to Leyton Orient having made 346 appearances when he took over from Bill Glazier. He was an ever present when Palace were promoted for the first time to the First Division in 1968/69 and only missed four games during the four seasons they remained in that league. Thank you Wiki.

N Herts Eagle 09-02-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 12233392)
From my recollection Jacko never went to West Ham. When Malcolm decided he no longer wanted Jacko (big mistake) he moved on to Orient.

Correct from there he played 70 odd games for Millwall and then one for Ipswich in the early 80's, they had suffered a couple of injuries and needed a keeper for a game against Man Utd. Jacko got the call and Ipswich won 2-1. Checking it out I never realised he also then played 4 games for Hereford in the equivilant of the Conference

Chocky 17-02-2015 07:50 PM

There have been a few on early morning recently, watched Jacko have a superb game for Orient at Ipswich in the Cup in 79, which made me think the poster who said we let him go too early was right.

I watched another game as well, think it was at Boro when a bloke ran on wearing a pin striped business suit with flares to have a word with the ref. He wasn't going mad just wanted a quiet word about a bad decision in his opinion it was bloody bizarre.

Ardent Eagle Forever 17-02-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 12233392)
From my recollection Jacko never went to West Ham. When Malcolm decided he no longer wanted Jacko (big mistake) he moved on to Orient.

Correct, played in the Palace game that we won 1 nil just before we beat Burnley in '79. Great reception from the palace faithful when he let that in, big smile on his face too.:p

Harry Bassett 17-02-2015 08:43 PM

Big Mal was not very keen on John McCormack in a Video while still at Man City he warned city players to watch out for him " he will be all over you like Quasimodo"

Interesting to see Alan Stephenson embraced into the Dick Graham video because they had a major fall out on the rail station on route to Carlisle and Stephenson was sent home.

No idea if they came to blows but it was rumoured that jacko had a fight with Allison.

tony 1947 18-02-2015 08:56 AM

Great find that video of Dick Graham, Well Done! Being of a certain vintage it was indeed John Jackson and Alan Stephenson. I believe (could be wrong?) the player with number 2 was Micky Griffiths and number 10 Billy Birch.

olly cromwell 19-02-2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 10768612)
I think this works:

http://bit.ly/Wntq5s

Some top notch "lurking" in this by Mr White Shirt

grays_eagle 19-02-2015 11:13 AM

I saw Alan Stephenson en route to Saturday's game against Liverpool - he was on the train I caught at New Cross Gate. He was talking to a friend of his about his time at Palace, and mentioned about Palace buying five new players with the transfer fee West Ham paid us for him.

Timbo 19-02-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grays_eagle (Post 12250752)
I saw Alan Stephenson en route to Saturday's game against Liverpool - he was on the train I caught at New Cross Gate. He was talking to a friend of his about his time at Palace, and mentioned about Palace buying five new players with the transfer fee West Ham paid us for him.

I remember Alan Stephenson being lauded as the next England centre half when he was with WHU, but didnt realise at that time of my youth that he had just been transferred from Palace

UKP170,00 rings a bell

Edit, it was 80, 000

StevePlus 19-02-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grays_eagle (Post 12250752)
I saw Alan Stephenson en route to Saturday's game against Liverpool - he was on the train I caught at New Cross Gate. He was talking to a friend of his about his time at Palace, and mentioned about Palace buying five new players with the transfer fee West Ham paid us for him.

Yes, we bought Colin and Tony Taylor, Mel Blyth, Roger Hoy and John Loughlan. Alan Stephenson's fee probably covered all of these, but we also sold Johnny Byrne and Tom White at the same time - rather an effective transfer spell.

Typical Palace 19-02-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey nuts (Post 10907918)

Walsh is a funny one. Touch of a tank in this clip but he had a knack of scoring. Seemed to score for Wales every time they played. Still seemed a mistake to sell Swindlehurst and keep Walsh.

Hal Low 22-02-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevePlus (Post 12251063)
Yes, we bought Colin and Tony Taylor, Mel Blyth, Roger Hoy and John Loughlan. Alan Stephenson's fee probably covered all of these, but we also sold Johnny Byrne and Tom White at the same time - rather an effective transfer spell.

We sold Budgie twice. The first time was 62 (ish) to West Ham. The second time was Spring of 69, to Fulham or was it a free?) It would aslo have been 69 when we sold Tom White to Blackpool.

Tony Taylor came from Morton, Colin Tayloir from Walsall and Mel Blyth from Scunthorpe. Probably each of those clubs would have been happy to get even £5k for a player. Hoy being from Spurs might have cost real money but to Bert Head real money was £15k. After buying that lot there was still probably £50k of the Stephenson money left - which I suspect went into the Arfur

NorfolkEnchants 24-03-2015 08:47 PM

ITV4 6.20am 25th March
Palace v Notts County from April 1979
Thought although we've seen it you can't tire of it!:D

evvo111 24-03-2015 08:50 PM

I'm sure John Hughes scored a contender goal of the month or goal of the season against Sheff Utd. Does anyone have a clip of it?

Dorking .Eagle 25-03-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorfolkEnchants (Post 12308303)
ITV4 6.20am 25th March
Palace v Notts County from April 1979
Thought although we've seen it you can't tire of it!:D

Cheers! will be watching (again!). The Orient game is the one they hardly ever repeat.

Dorking .Eagle 25-03-2015 06:24 AM

Arsene Wenger would have a heart attack over the state of that pitch! Plenty of flares on show and the obligatory bog roll flying over the Holmesdale after the goal!

Perfectly good tv pictures without the need for a gantry the size of the QEII

Big Gav 25-03-2015 06:43 AM

Fantastic time to support the club, Loved that team

Big Gav 25-03-2015 07:02 AM

Bloody hell they were delusional and talking crap even back then!
Brian Horton "Well if we go to Newcastle and beat them we are champions"
Not quite Brian :)

Dorking .Eagle 25-03-2015 07:26 AM

Loved the way Brian Moore gave away the Br*ghton score halfway through the Palace commentary! These days during MOTD they keep up the pretence that some viewers might not know the other scores!

ExiledStirling 25-03-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 12308627)
Loved the way Brian Moore gave away the Br*ghton score halfway through the Palace commentary! These days during MOTD they keep up the pretence that some viewers might not know the other scores!

It made no difference back then as they only showed highlights from one game per ITV region anyway so am I right to assume the Brighton game had no TV cameras at it?

Big Gav 25-03-2015 07:42 AM

They showed the highlights from Brighton's match after our match. But yes 1 per region Brighton's was south region

Dorking .Eagle 25-03-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 12308631)
It made no difference back then as they only showed highlights from one game per ITV region anyway so am I right to assume the Brighton game had no TV cameras at it?

The show had the highlights of Palace, Br*ghton and Sunderland. Brighton on after the Palace highlights. Would have been filmed by Southern TV I assume

ExiledStirling 25-03-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 12308749)
The show had the highlights of Palace, Br*ghton and Sunderland. Brighton on after the Palace highlights. Would have been filmed by Southern TV I assume

Brian Moore should have been sacked then (despite being the best football commentator ever!) :D

Ruskin Old Boy 25-03-2015 10:21 AM

The 1978/79 season was a memorable one (apart from us not scoring many goals) and the end of season particularly dramatic. It's always a pleasure to see and hear Horton and Mullery trying not to sound too cocky, though sad to see Roker Park and the Goldstone before they were laid waste by developers, the former a great old stadium.

And then there was the Burnley game :p

SuperSub 25-03-2015 11:00 AM

I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

Chocky 25-03-2015 01:33 PM

Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-03-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 12309072)
Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

I was at that game too...it was the first home defeat of the season.

Uncle Ron 25-03-2015 07:34 PM

Just watched the Palace vs Notts County game. Great to see that Vince Hilaire was every bit as good as I remembered!
Anyone know why The Goldstone had fences up by 1979? I don't remember them and thought they went up early 80s?

jonn63 25-03-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 12309072)
Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

I was there as a 15yr old and got on tv as the players came back out.loved to see it again.

Big Gav 25-03-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ron (Post 12309657)
Just watched the Palace vs Notts County game. Great to see that Vince Hilaire was every bit as good as I remembered!
Anyone know why The Goldstone had fences up by 1979? I don't remember them and thought they went up early 80s?

Sansom at times was moving into central midfield and overlapping a lot. He was one hell of a player

Vince Hilaire's Afro 25-03-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan cola (Post 7331909)
Watching now on itv4 see that palace were 2nd behind Brighton

People forget that there was television back then

Chocky 26-03-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonn63 (Post 12309664)
I was there as a 15yr old and got on tv as the players came back out.loved to see it again.

I was 15 then as well. You old bastard. :)

Blind_Eagle 27-03-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSub (Post 12308903)
I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

How nice of you to Judge them in such a positive way.

Nelson Muntz 27-03-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Gav (Post 12308616)
Bloody hell they were delusional and talking crap even back then!
Brian Horton "Well if we go to Newcastle and beat them we are champions"
Not quite Brian :)

Thick ****.

Horton, not you Gav.

Jim Cannon 27-03-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz (Post 12312502)
Thick ****.

Horton, not you Gav.

And a right nasty bastard of a player too

Chocky 30-03-2015 04:02 PM

I know it's on You Tube and I've seen it 458 times but they've been showing every week of the 1978/79 season, then when it came to the biggest game of the final weekend they showed Wrexham v Sunderland with Sunderland only relying on other scores even if they won.

It struck me though how much money these regional channels had when Brian Moore in London on The Big Match had a reasonable set with a phone and in-built microphone on his desk, whereas Elton Welsby sat in front of a poorly lit shit back drop and even had a shit name for their programme and a rubbish tune.

The Kick Off Match? Bollocks.

bestperch 05-07-2017 03:35 PM

BTSport2 showing our 76/77 visit to the gallstone on Monday July 10th at 17:30. Memories for us old gits or a catch up on history for the younger element.

delboy01 05-07-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSub (Post 12308903)
I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

Dogging?

Baffled Bob 2 05-07-2017 03:43 PM

Now set to record. And bestperch repped.

danpalace07 06-07-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestperch (Post 13719137)
BTSport2 showing our 76/77 visit to the gallstone on Monday July 10th at 17:30. Memories for us old gits or a catch up on history for the younger element.

Will this be put online? Love watching the old Brighton games on youtube

monkey 06-07-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestperch (Post 13719137)
BTSport2 showing our 76/77 visit to the gallstone on Monday July 10th at 17:30. Memories for us old gits or a catch up on history for the younger element.

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up, I've set to record:p

bestperch 06-07-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 13720109)
Brilliant, thanks for the heads up, I've set to record:p

BT seem to move things about occasionally so if you want to be sure it's also scheduled at 04:00 same channel on Tuesday 11/07 :p

Purepalace 10-07-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestperch (Post 13719137)
BTSport2 showing our 76/77 visit to the gallstone on Monday July 10th at 17:30. Memories for us old gits or a catch up on history for the younger element.

Thanks for the heads up.

biggus mickus 10-07-2017 09:30 PM

How much did our Chocky love Palace?

Read this thread.:love:

danpalace07 10-07-2017 11:39 PM

That was great to watch. Some observations:

1) Sansom and Cannon were class
2) Palace fans sounded great and outsung them even then
3) we were well defensive but better on the counter, kind of like these days
4) That kit! Best sash ever?
5) Palace in their end when we scored :D
6) Hammond in nets had a pretty shit song

monkey 11-07-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 13725432)
That was great to watch. Some observations:

1) Sansom and Cannon were class
2) Palace fans sounded great and outsung them even then
3) we were well defensive but better on the counter, kind of like these days
4) That kit! Best sash ever?
5) Palace in their end when we scored :D
6) Hammond in nets had a pretty shit song

I've got an observation as well,how close were El Tel and mullery sitting in the studio? All looking a bit pally,,,,if only they knew the mayhem that was to come!!:D

Sleeping Giant 14-07-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 13725432)
That was great to watch. Some observations:
That kit! Best sash ever?

What Man City's? See Malcolm Allison at Chelsea, wrong score, wrong team, right look. Haven't seen whole thread if already posted!


Vince Hilaire's Afro 14-07-2017 11:25 AM


Not the best result for Palace, but some great old Selhurst footage.

Also - check out the Man Utd shirt!

CP Satellite 14-07-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant (Post 13730351)
What Man City's? See Malcolm Allison at Chelsea, wrong score, wrong team, right look. Haven't seen whole thread if already posted!


Chelsea had Mulligan and Cooke who signed for Palace, Kember had joined them from usv- City had Derek Jeffries, who Big Mal brought to Palace and was part of the great 1976 FA Cup Run.

The numbers on the sleeves Allison brought to Palace too although I think we had the club badge on both sleeves at sone point? Way ahead of most other clubs - although Leeds had the fancy number tags on the socks, if I recall?

monkey 20-07-2017 05:46 AM

We're on again!! 3rd April 1977 Rotherham away!!

Tuesday July 25th 6PM BT Sport 2

WLYWLYAWYPWF 25-07-2017 06:09 PM

Rotherham away from 1977 on again after the Wham game on BTsport 2.

Baffled Bob 2 19-08-2017 10:34 AM

It's on again now. BT Sport 1

bestperch 22-08-2017 03:30 PM

Just watched the episode titled "15 May 1977". We're not the featured game but Venables and an 18-year old Kenny Sansom are the studio guests. Young Kenny talks about joining Palace and they show the goals from the 4-2 at Wrexham including the mental celebrations in the away end. This is due to be shown again on BTSport1 on Tue 29/08 at 06:00 and 14:00 if anyone is interested.

monkey 22-08-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestperch (Post 13793951)
Just watched the episode titled "15 May 1977". We're not the featured game but Venables and an 18-year old Kenny Sansom are the studio guests. Young Kenny talks about joining Palace and they show the goals from the 4-2 at Wrexham including the mental celebrations in the away end. This is due to be shown again on BTSport1 on Tue 29/08 at 06:00 and 14:00 if anyone is interested.

I saw that last time around, really was a great bit of nostalgia,great to see the Wrexham goals as highlights from that sort of era are obviously few and far between. Also after Kenny Sansom's troubles of the last few years was great to see him looking so young and fresh faced again.

GorBlimey 25-08-2017 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 13730387)

Not the best result for Palace, but some great old Selhurst footage.

But they had Best, Charlton and Law at the same time.

For the day it was a bit like having Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic in the same team.

We weren't too shabby.

Polak 22-12-2017 01:25 PM

Rotherham v Palace on BT Sport2 at 3:30pm. Probably about 10 minutes highlights as it's not the main match

Coastal Palace 22-12-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14006890)
Rotherham v Palace on BT Sport2 at 3:30pm. Probably about 10 minutes highlights as it's not the main match

Brilliant.
Thanks.

Polak 27-12-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14006890)
Rotherham v Palace on BT Sport2 at 3:30pm. Probably about 10 minutes highlights as it's not the main match

Less than 4 minutes. Still, it was good to see a young Kenny Sansom and Rash the Smash again. Plus Phil Holder.

Polak 27-12-2017 12:26 PM

Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.

Ruskin Old Boy 27-12-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14013572)
Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.

You've captured the awfulness of that season very well.

They were depressing times :(

cantspell 29-12-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14013572)
Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.


Very well written - couldnít believe what had happened to the ground when I went there that season. Absolutely destroyed a beautiful end and the Holmesdale with feences - players you named were awful.

When people moan about our recent seasons you only need to look back to those times to feel so much better

Big Gav 29-12-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14018685)
Very well written - couldnít believe what had happened to the ground when I went there that season. Absolutely destroyed a beautiful end and the Holmesdale with feences - players you named were awful.

When people moan about our recent seasons you only need to look back to those times to feel so much better

Ive been trying to forget that season :frown:

Coastal Palace 29-12-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14018685)
Very well written - couldn’t believe what had happened to the ground when I went there that season. Absolutely destroyed a beautiful end and the Holmesdale with feences - players you named were awful.

When people moan about our recent seasons you only need to look back to those times to feel so much better

Yeah it was the worst of times.
I was still at school down South Norwood Hill then and took too much abuse.
I'm sure the joke going around was about the difference between us and a triangle - a triangle's got 3 points - in the days when a win meant 2 points!

Our position compared to those days feels like Champions League stuff!

Ian Hart 29-12-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14013572)
Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14018703)
Yeah it was the worst of times.

They might have seemed like the "worst of times" at the time, but in fact they were about to get a whole lot worse over the next few years.

We were indeed bitterly disappointed by Bason, Langley and Price, but they were soon to be replaced by the silky skills of McCulloch, Edwards and Stebbing, to say nothing of the defensive prowess of Lacy, who had a turning circle roughly equivalent to that of the QE2.

Plus, we were actually to hanker after those days when we could get anywhere near 10,000 through the gate. Attendances of around half this figure became the norm.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-01-2018 09:32 AM


Don Rogers wins goal of the season 1973

Purepalace 13-01-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14050159)

Don Rogers wins goal of the season 1973

Fantastic!

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-01-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purepalace (Post 14051201)
Fantastic!

Some of the other goals you see practically every week these days!

Ian Hart 14-01-2018 12:52 AM

It's easy to forget - until you see footage like that- how awful the condition of the Selhurst Park pitch often was

laths 14-01-2018 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14052813)
It's easy to forget - until you see footage like that- how awful the condition of the Selhurst Park pitch often was

Thatís why we had Len Chatterton and the Flatterer . :D

Paulinmorden 14-01-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 14013572)
Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.

Trouble is that season was the start of 4 years when I had the time and money to go to nearly all the games home and away. Think I only missed about 6 or 7 but has there been a 4 year period when we scored less goals or accumulated less points?

Hedgehog 14-01-2018 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14052813)
It's easy to forget - until you see footage like that- how awful the condition of the Selhurst Park pitch often was

I'm not sure it was unique to Selhurst Park.

Timbo 14-01-2018 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 14052865)
Trouble is that season was the start of 4 years when I had the time and money to go to nearly all the games home and away. Think I only missed about 6 or 7 but has there been a 4 year period when we scored less goals or accumulated less points?

80 through 84 was also the period I went most to Palace. It is a dream in comparison these days

Hedgehog 14-01-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14050159)

Don Rogers wins goal of the season 1973

A shame/sad that about half the people in this clip have passed on now.

Ian Hart 15-01-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14052923)
A shame/sad that about half the people in this clip have passed on now.

Very good point.

Although, it's easy to forget that 45 years have passed since then

Polak 15-01-2018 08:17 AM

BT Sport 2 19 Jan 2018 7:00am

A look back at some classic editions of The Big Match. This episode, from 3rd October 1976, features Brighton v Crystal Palace, Leeds v Manchester United and Southampton v Fulham.

I think that this has been on recently.

Polak 15-01-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14055020)
Although, it's easy to forget that 45 years have passed since then

Blimey. Cheers for reminding me. :sob:

I was a youngster in the Arthur that day, then called the New Stand. they used to have the camera in the first few rows of terrace on the half way line in those days as opposed to in front of advertising hoardings as in the camera that Wilf collided with on Saturday. I could watch the small black and white screen which the cameraman used as well as watching the match. It was a fantastic goal. I remember Don Rogers running at the goal like it was yesterday.

Dorking .Eagle 16-01-2018 07:02 PM

For some reason they are showing CP v Everton (1980/81) on BT Sport 2 tonight at 930pm

Polak 22-01-2018 07:58 AM

23 Jan 2018 at 3:00pm on BT Sport 1

"We revisit the gripping 1971 FA Cup third round tie between Crystal Palace and Chelsea at Selhurst Park. Some players opted for basketball trainers to survive the frozen pitch."

Polak 22-01-2018 08:03 AM

25 Jan 2018 at 2:45pm on BT Sport 1

If anyone's interested:

"We revisit the 1995 FA Cup semi-final replay between Man Utd and Crystal Palace. Tensions were running high following Eric Cantona's infamous kung-fu kick in January of that year."

A bit of an understatement there. Dreadful match with no-one from Palace really interested for obvious reasons.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.