CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990/91 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282360)

bubbs11 26-02-2021 07:38 PM

I was in the Arthur for this. The main memory I have of the game is pictured in post above: the cat invading the pitch early on in the game. Not sure what happened to it, but kudos to the photographer (Neil Everett I’m guessing) for managing to capture it, as it was darting about at 100mph. I don’t think they even bothered stopping the game. Tickled me anyway enough to remember it 30 years later.

Interesting to note that this was only McGoldrick’s second goal for Palace. His first being the very memorable and important goal at Blackburn in the play off final 1st leg. Wright’s goals were his first at Selhurst since the Southend hat trick.

So onto the area final to face Norwich in a two legged affair with a place in a Wembley final at stake.

Bipe 27-02-2021 11:57 AM

New entries into the top ten for week ending 2 March 1991:

Crazy For You (Remix) by Madonna - I have never been at all keen on Madonna, she has always struck me as a somewhat self-centred and humourless individual with weak and derivative musical output. I do make an exception for this track, one of her very early hits which again found chart success in 1991 in line with the fad for re-releases. I think this one tied in with her first greatest hits album. Anyway it's a sweet and innocent ballad, the vocal delivered with unusual tenderness and vulnerability. Her best track after Into The Groove for me. It got to number 2.

Should I Stay Or Should I Go by The Clash - speaking of re-releases, yet another Levi's ad recycled hit which went all the way to the top. Good fun as a rowdy singalong but generally not reckoned to be their finest hour.

All Right Now (Remix) by Free - by this point I'm starting to think that 1990/91 had some sort of quota or embargo on new material. Again I think this was pushed by an ad campaign (Wrigleys? Coke?). Not my cup of tea.

Move Your Body (Elevation) by Xpansions - at last an original hit although like much of the stuff we have gone through on this thread it was an early 90s dance hit very much of its time. Another night club stable back in the day.

Grim Reaper 28-02-2021 08:52 PM

It definitely was an era for older songs making a re-appaearance (witness Jive Bunny having three number ones in quick succession in late '89) with what were remixes of sings from the 50s & 60s. Then you had The Joker by the Steve Miller (late summer 1990), these Madonna re-releases; All Right Now and I know there were others around.

It seemed to be a 'blokey run' what with Iron Maiden getting to number one in january as you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Whether it was a backlash against Stock, Aitken & Waterman's dominance in the way we'd see in 2009 Rage Against the Machine trash X Factor's dominance of the Christmas No.1, I don't know but there was a definite trend for a while.

Grim Reaper 28-02-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15671442)
I was in the Arthur for this. The main memory I have of the game is pictured in post above: the cat invading the pitch early on in the game. Not sure what happened to it, but kudos to the photographer (Neil Everett I’m guessing) for managing to capture it, as it was darting about at 100mph. I don’t think they even bothered stopping the game. Tickled me anyway enough to remember it 30 years later.

I wasn't at that game but remember the cat simply because of Joanthan Pearce's commentary on the cat scooting across the ground.

The Neil Everett cat photo made it into the Croydon Advertiser

As for the game, I can't remember a thing!

One of the game commentaries I still have on cassette somewhere

bubbs11 28-02-2021 09:04 PM

This was the month the film Silence of the Lambs was released in cinemas. Massively hyped. Went to see it with mates in North London somewhere. Didn't find it as thrilling as anticipated but a memorable film none the less.

Bipe 01-03-2021 04:30 PM

On 2 March 1991 we travelled to Highfield Road where we succumbed to a very disappointing 3-1 defeat, Ian Wright notching our goal. This put us on a run of just one point and one goal in our past three league games, as it turned out our worst sequence of the season.

I didn't go to this game due to other commitments but from what I can recall we were pretty well beaten. Certainly having just looked up the Coventry scorers it frustrates me even now to note that a Brian Kilcline brace plus a goal from their other centre half Trevor Peake killed us off. How often in a game have all three goals for one of the teams been scored by the centre halves I wonder.

Next up would be the midweek away leg against Norwich in the ZDS semi-final.

bubbs11 01-03-2021 08:22 PM

COVENTRY 3 Peake. Kilcline 2
PALACE 1 Wright

Att: 10,891

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Barber (for McGoldrick). Pardew (unused)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/7357B374...935C3F8.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/19EA9938...61B309D.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/9577BB72...588FFF5.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/2A3E20C3...1FA5628.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/0786C5E0...1448192.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/77DE42AB...9BBC3CA.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/7C71922D...EE67E0C.md.jpg

Latvian Eagle 01-03-2021 08:37 PM

Kilcline still looks the same today too.

Olympian2 01-03-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15678132)
COVENTRY 3 Peake. Kilcline 2
PALACE 1 Wright

Att: 10,891

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Barber (for McGoldrick). Pardew (unused)

I don't think I went to this one but I can't remember why - I was in Leicester at the time so went to most away games in the Midlands.

I deffo went to the game the year before when David Speedie scored late on, latching onto a long punt, probably from Steve Ogrizovic. I do remember thinking that Highfield Road was a crumbling shithole.

Look at that attendance, though. Less than 11k.

David Giles 02-03-2021 01:11 PM

Miserable day if I remember right. Drizzling and went up on my own and stood on the open terrace behind the goal. We really were poor and Kilcline scored a worldie free kick. They just looked a better side. There weren’t many truly disappointing performances that season but this was one of them.

PemboExpress 02-03-2021 01:30 PM

Yes, remember this one. Coventry were always a bogey team and Killer Kilcline scoring his free kick summed it up.

Baffled Bob 2 02-03-2021 03:01 PM

I went. Missed the start. We had no idea how far the ground was from the station.

Mark Gardiner 02-03-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 15678972)
Miserable day if I remember right. Drizzling and went up on my own and stood on the open terrace behind the goal. We really were poor and Kilcline scored a worldie free kick. They just looked a better side. There weren’t many truly disappointing performances that season but this was one of them.

For some reason they allowed my friend Richard onto the terrace with a golf umbrella - normally regarded by West Midlands police to be a very dangerous weapon - so he was very popular that afternoon.

Grim Reaper 05-03-2021 02:38 PM

Title bid was officially over with this loss - if it wasn't already.

bubbs11 05-03-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15685081)
Title bid was officially over with this loss - if it wasn't already.

It ain't over till it's over!

Which was on Lenny Kravitz great Mama Said album released the following month in April 1991. I still firmly believe it was inspired by our tilt on the title that season. What else could it have been about?

bubbs11 06-03-2021 06:50 AM

Zenith Data Systems/ Area Final/ 1st Leg

Norwich 1. Sherwood
Palace 1. Thomas

Att: 7,554

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Southgate. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: Barber (for Pardew). Thompson (unused)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/B2772F58...B3A60D0.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/8D81DD44...194FA45.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/A82BF62F...6879BCB.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/386FF63D...2169145.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/72117F17...C6FE00D.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/21FF7D67...07E5CC8.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/A4DD803B...7C793F8.md.jpg

Latvian Eagle 06-03-2021 06:55 AM

Was it the second leg that Suckling played then?

bubbs11 06-03-2021 07:09 AM

This was shown live on BskyB and stayed home for this one. Still got the video somewhere I think. It was a strong performance and one which left us super confident of another Wembley outing. None other than Gareth Southgate’s first start for Palace and performed well from memory, especially seeing as he only found out he was starting in place of Young an hour before kick off.

Our goal involved a lovely interplay and finished off in true swashbuckling Thomas style. He really was the all conquering leader in the middle of the park.

Interesting reading after the report there about Bodin signing. Turned out to be a huge disappointment. Also, forgot about this until reading it again, but Mark Dennis having a suspected heart attack during the Brighton reserve game. Heard more than a few whispers at the time that this was perhaps brought on by a bit of substance abuse. It wasn’t Pepsi!

bubbs11 06-03-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15685909)
Was it the second leg that Suckling played then?

Suckling?

Suckling played his last game for Palace in 1989.

Garfy 06-03-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15686000)
Suckling?

Who is Academy and goal keeping coach at this weekend’s opponents Spurs.

ExiledStirling 06-03-2021 07:27 AM

Paul Bodin was a disaster in a Palace shirt, despite having had a decent career.

When I give momentary thought to the worst players I have seen in a Palace shirt, Bodin springs to mind, along with John Sewell and Calvin Andrew.

Latvian Eagle 06-03-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Suckling?

Perry Suckling played the second leg of this cup tie, and also played vs Arsenal, West Ham and Oldham in 1991/92.

teesdale99 06-03-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15686084)
Paul Bodin was a disaster in a Palace shirt, despite having had a decent career.

When I give momentary thought to the worst players I have seen in a Palace shirt, Bodin springs to mind, along with John Sewell and Calvin Andrew.

Wayne Carlisle

N Herts Eagle 06-03-2021 07:40 AM

The away leg of the semi final at Norwich. As said was on TV and I gave it a miss the result set up the second leg very nicely. The other thing as our league form had taken a tumble from the earlier heights it kept the season interesting.
Bodin signing was one that I was delighted with. Richard Shaw though consitent enough at the time was the weak link in the side. Still young and went on to become a good defender for us particularly when moved to the centre.
However Bodin was another like Hodges who ultimately was a disappointment. A trend that went on over a few more signings Lee Sinott Paul Mortimer Marco Gabbadini. This was an era in Steves reign where we moved from developing talent in the transfer market to sugning established players. It to me was the weakness though at the start in Thorn Martyn Young it worked it was failing too often. What was behind that can only be speculation and I will avoid it. Look at the lesser signings at the time Coleman Thompson Collymore. One became a star for us one contributed when needed and one left but went on to a top career. But the bigger payments brought less to the team. Steve had made the point about the change the previous season after Liverpool defeat.
My view is in the end it cost us long term.

bubbs11 06-03-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15686146)
Perry Suckling played the second leg of this cup tie, and also played vs Arsenal, West Ham and Oldham in 1991/92.

Oh i stand corrected. Yes of course I remember him coming in for those games as Martyn was suspended, although I was right that he didn’t play in the Norwich 2nd leg or at all in the 90/91 season. Martyn played every game.

Bipe 06-03-2021 08:54 AM

Apologies, I got out of synch with the date of this game and missed it. Must have been all the Harry and Meghan excitement over in General Chit Chat. Thanks to Bubbs for picking up the slack.

As already mentioned this was a strong performance which set us up well for the second leg, most notable for Southgate's full debut. In his favoured central defensive position although of course he ended up playing virtually all his games for us in midfield. Still makes me laugh when fans of other clubs observe that he must have been one of our best ever defenders. Anyway he played very well. I remember reading in his book with Andy Woodman that he was getting somewhat frustrated at the lack of first team opportunities by this point. He was 20 years old, had received a lengthy schooling in the youth and reserve teams, and he felt ready for the challenge. Digressing a little bit but I always find the psychology of top sportspeople fascinating, also remember some good insight into this in Mike Atherton's book when he compared his own mental fortitude to what he saw was a real weakness in his contemporary Mark Lathwell, who he regarded as a more talented player.

Interesting to note Coppell's quote about Paul Bodin "I didn't necessarily want to sign a left back" which begs the question as to why we did. As others have noted he had a good reputation as a swashbuckling full back but it never worked for him at Palace and he was soon back at Swindon, where of course he continued to perform well albeit mostly in the division below. God knows what was going on with Mark Dennis by this time but it was a sad and premature end to his career. A talented but somewhat flawed individual, he did look a good player though in the few games he did manage for us.

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Suckling?

Incorrect - he played three league games (91/92) when Big Nige was suspended.

Edit - Ninja'd!!!!

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15686146)

Remember the Oldham game. It was Wright's last Palace game, and he signed off with a goal, which was appropriate as his first Palace goal was also against Oldham. We got back to London in time for the early Sunday newspapers and the back page story was his move to Arsenal. All our jubilation over the win swiftly evaporated.

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teesdale99 (Post 15686150)
Wayne Carlisle

Karic, full back on loan.

JJ 06-03-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner (Post 15686234)
We got back to London in time for the early Sunday newspapers and the back page story was his move to Arsenal. All our jubilation over the win swiftly evaporated.

I'm sure the move didn't get finalised until the Monday or Tuesday, because it was seeing the back page headline on the Evening Standard 'Graham Swoops' as I walked to Bank Station after work that confirmed it. It was one of those 'I remember where I was when...' occasions. I also remember that Arsrnal were away to (I think) Leicester in the League Cup that midweek, Wright made his debut in the game and scored.

Grim Reaper 06-03-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Suckling?

Played his last game for Palace in the same game as Ian Wright.

There's a bit of trivia for you,

He covered for Nigel in a three game span when Nige was serving a three match ban for the red card v Wimbledon in August.

In that three game span Perry conceded 9 goals.

Hmmm, nine goals finishing Perry off at Palace - heard that somewhere else!

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15686266)
I'm sure the move didn't get finalised until the Monday or Tuesday, because it was seeing the back page headline on the Evening Standard 'Graham Swoops' as I walked to Bank Station after work that confirmed it. It was one of those 'I remember where I was when...' occasions. I also remember that Arsrnal were away to (I think) Leicester in the League Cup that midweek, Wright made his debut in the game and scored.

You are correct - the move went through very quickly compared to big deals now. The Sunday papers were the first indication a serious bid was going to be made.

Bipe 06-03-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15686320)
Played his last game for Palace in the same game as Ian Wright.

There's a bit of trivia for you,

He covered for Nigel in a three game span when Nige was serving a three match ban for the red card v Wimbledon in August.

In that three game span Perry conceded 9 goals.

Hmmm, nine goals finishing Perry off at Palace - heard that somewhere else!

Just looked at our results in that 1991/92 season and it reminded me of what a topsy turvy time we had. On the face of it we initially recovered well from Wright's departure, taking 14 points from our next 7 games to leave us very handily placed on 27 points from 15 altogether. However the warning signs were there as we'd scored only 9 goals in those 7 compared to 16 goals in the 8 that Wright had been involved in.

Then we got tonked 5-1 at Forest and the wheels came off, picking up only 1 win in 11 as we slid down that table - and that sole win being a narrow 1-0 at home to an easily relegated Notts County. A win at Spurs stopped the rot but then we went another 6 games without a win before creditably turning things around with 15 points from our last 9 games to finish 10th (only 3 points behind Villa in 7th place). We also reached the quarter finals of the league cup where we lost to Forest again, inevitably after a replay. We had also been taken to two replays by Birmingham earlier in the competition.

It became known as the 'season of boredom', the results suggest anything but, however the football was in truth pretty turgid after Wright and then Gray jumped ship. I suspect these days most of us would bite your arm off for a season like that compared to the current campaign though.

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15686347)
Just looked at our results in that 1991/92 season and it reminded me of what a topsy turvy time we had. On the face of it we initially recovered well from Wright's departure, taking 14 points from our next 7 games to leave us very handily placed on 27 points from 15 altogether. However the warning signs were there as we'd scored only 9 goals in those 7 compared to 16 goals in the 8 that Wright had been involved in.

Then we got tonked 5-1 at Forest and the wheels came off, picking up only 1 win in 11 as we slid down that table - and that sole win being a narrow 1-0 at home to an easily relegated Notts County. A win at Spurs stopped the rot but then we went another 6 games without a win before creditably turning things around with 15 points from our last 9 games to finish 10th (only 3 points behind Villa in 7th place). We also reached the quarter finals of the league cup where we lost to Forest again, inevitably after a replay. We had also been taken to two replays by Birmingham earlier in the competition.

It became known as the 'season of boredom', the results suggest anything but, however the football was in truth pretty turgid after Wright and then Gray jumped ship. I suspect these days most of us would bite your arm off for a season like that compared to the current campaign though.

IIRC Mark Bright had a long run of scoring in successive games, then on a run of not scoring for about twice the number.

Bipe 06-03-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner (Post 15686357)
IIRC Mark Bright had a long run of scoring in successive games, then on a run of not scoring for about twice the number.

Yes. The Wikipedia data on cup game goalscorers in that season is for some reason incomplete but I think he scored in something like 9 games in a row through September / October, then went on a massive barren run. Ended the season with 22 goals from 54 games which was an excellent haul.

Latvian Eagle 06-03-2021 10:49 AM

I'm still sure Suckling played the ZDS Second Leg.

Mark Gardiner 06-03-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15686375)
Yes. The Wikipedia data on cup game goalscorers in that season is for some reason incomplete but I think he scored in something like 9 games in a row through September / October, then went on a massive barren run. Ended the season with 22 goals from 54 games which was an excellent haul.

How much would be spend in order to buy that haul today? £80m? £100m? (Well, we obviously wouldn't pay that...)

November85 06-03-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15686084)

Neil Ruddock.

bubbs11 06-03-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner (Post 15686357)

From memory that happened a few times with Brighty. On those baron runs he seemed almost awful in front of goal but then bang, he gets one in and the floodgates would open.

bubbs11 06-03-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15686385)
I'm still sure Suckling played the ZDS Second Leg.

Definitely Martyn, Latvian.

Checked the report from the game and Martyn is in there. Will post up when game arrives of course.

Bipe 08-03-2021 07:26 AM

On 9 March 1991 we returned to winning ways in the league with a much needed 2-1 victory at home to Southampton. Geoff Thomas popped up with both of the goals.

Recollections of this one are a little hazy and I don't remember anything about the goals. However my sense is that it was a good high energy performance, perhaps buoyed by that decent result in the first leg of the ZDS semi-final which put Wembley back within sight again, coupled with the proverbial rocket up the arse from Coppell after our league form had tailed off.

Southampton were under-performing this season. Certainly their attacking options of Rod Wallace, Le Tissier and a young Alan Shearer would have been a match for anyone, and they were backed up by a highly experienced squad featuring the likes of Francis Benali, Jimmy Case, Glenn Cockerill (who scored their consolation in this game) and Barry Horne. This result meant we had done the double over them and more importantly consolidated our third place in the table, prospects of UEFA Cup qualification next season now coming firmly into view.

N Herts Eagle 08-03-2021 09:06 AM

Back to winning ways in the league. With a buzz around the prospects of Wembley again. By now felt comfortable that we would finish in our highest position ever. That we had in the first team enough to really progress. These were really great days.
Another opposition where I had a connection to one of the players. One of the guys I worked with grew up with one of the Southampton players and knew him through him.

Latvian Eagle 08-03-2021 09:28 AM

One of the goals was a very nicely taken Free Kick.

Bipe 09-03-2021 02:28 PM

New entries into the top ten, week ending 9 March 1991:

Because I Love You (The Postman Song) by Stevie B - bizarre one hit wonder, an overly soppy ballad which inexplicably because a massive hit over in the USA. I note from his Wikipedia entry that Stevie was arrested in 2011 due to owing $420k in child support, so presumably the love of his life expressed in this terrible song went sour in the end.

The Stonk by Hale and Pace and the Stonkers - Comic Relief tie-in which got to number 1, not much more to be said. Hale and Pace were incredibly popular in the late 80s with a more 'edgy' late night ITV show featuring the likes of the 'nightclub bouncers' "Don't cackle, I don't like cackling" "Yeah, I don't like any sort of pork" etc etc, you had to be there. Wonder what they are doing now - well I don't but you know what I mean.

All in all a pretty dismal week, I have tried to make the most of slim pickings with my analysis above.

MENTALLY TOUGH 09-03-2021 04:10 PM

Wasn't it around this time that both Sir Steve & Uncle Ron came out in the press and had a moan about the attendances not increasing despite the lofty league position ?

bubbs11 09-03-2021 06:05 PM

PALACE 2. Thomas 2
SOUTHAMPTON 1. Cockerill

Att: 14,439

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Thompson. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: Barber (for Thompson). Southgate (unused)

Soton: Flowers. Cherednik. Bengali. Osman. Ruddock. Case. Cotterill. Horne. McLoughlin. Shearer. Wallace Subs: Banger (for Case)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/3FE72E94...33F2290.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/9C1D303C...7EF95B0.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/62AE92DF...407FA21.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/E8027939...815931A.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/20196096...A608221.th.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/171B1A2C...101B0E4.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/30F4A70B...C978F0B.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/6FCDFFBD...A1A9214.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/03CC545F...661499B.md.jpg

Bipe 09-03-2021 06:22 PM

Trying to work out how we would have lined up for this one.

4-3-3 I assume...Thomas at the back alongside Thorn...Gray doing the donkey work in the middle with Salako and Pardew flanking him, with a three-pronged attack.

Or maybe Salako slotted in at left back and Thomas stayed in the middle of the park with Gray, Shaw at centre half?

That front three looks good on paper but would have been an awkward fit,.particularly Thompson and Bright who were pretty similar.

SA Eagle 09-03-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15693854)
Trying to work out how we would have lined up for this one.

4-3-3 I assume...Thomas at the back alongside Thorn...Gray doing the donkey work in the middle with Salako and Pardew flanking him, with a three-pronged attack.

Or maybe Salako slotted in at left back and Thomas stayed in the middle of the park with Gray, Shaw at centre half?

That front three looks good on paper but would have been an awkward fit,.particularly Thompson and Bright who were pretty similar.

Definitely three up front; of sorts. It was a bit of a strange time, despite what was a successful season, we weren’t killing games off and some fans had been calling for Coppell to play Bright/Wright/Thompson up front together, especially after some disappointing games after Christmas. I guess it was worth a try.

It wasn’t a great success.

bubbs11 09-03-2021 08:10 PM

I would have to check out our season review video to be sure, but I’m pretty certain Thomas didn’t play at centre back in this game and was in his normal midfield position. Also sure like others have said that Thompson played in a three up top with Bright and Wright. What I think happened is Salako played at left back in Shaw’s position and it was Shaw that played at centre back.

The Ian Wright documentary that was released at the end of this season called ‘Do the Wright Thing’ actually intercuts his life story with black and white footage of that Southampton game. The camera obviously focuses totally on Wrighty so you can’t see formations and positions; but you do see Thomas and Wright taking the kick off at the start of the game, which would suggest that Thomas was not centre back. There’s also other clips of a Palace attack with Thomas and Thompson further forward. You also see Shaw in a more central role at the back on Thorn’s right side from the kick off.

ian king 09-03-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15694023)
What I think happened is Salako played at left back in Shaw’s position and it was Shaw that played at centre back.

This is borne out by the Advertiser match report " ..to their credit Humphrey and Salako attempted frequent bursts from deep positions. Salako in fact covered ground in all areas.."

bubbs11 10-03-2021 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian king (Post 15694242)
This is borne out by the Advertiser match report " ..to their credit Humphrey and Salako attempted frequent bursts from deep positions. Salako in fact covered ground in all areas.."

:p

I think if Salako was playing today he would make a top class modern day full back.

Bipe 14-03-2021 09:37 AM

16 March 1991 saw us at home to rock bottom Derby County.

We saw them off 2-1 with goals from Gray and Wright. However my recollection is that it was a closer game than we would have wanted it to be, although generally on top we huffed and puffed a bit and struggled to close the game out. Gray's goal was a penalty, converted in typical 'blast it down the middle as hard as you can' fashion. Shilton in the Derby goal was, as we knew by this time having watched the World Cup, pretty hapless at penalties and my recollection is that he effectively dived out of the way of it!. Second goal I think was another typical artefact of the time, Wright finishing off a Bright knockdown. Can't remember the Derby goal other than that it was quite a good finish. I think we went 2-0 up before they grabbed one late on.

So two 2-1 wins on the bounce. As far as the league table was concerned, by this stage Man Utd had started fading badly in fifth and so it looked like only Leeds could realistically catch us. And depending on other results on the day we could have gone within 2 points of the leaders with this win, looking at Bubbs league table from last time out!

Maiden Eagle 14-03-2021 09:53 AM

Pointless stat this, but until the very last game of the season, against the very nice Moan Utd, all the wins at home at Home, were by a single goal margin (admittedly not all 1-0 like under Roy, now:)). Nothing whatsoever to complain about, in what was this wonderful season, but just strange, considering what a powerful team, we had become ?

N Herts Eagle 14-03-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15703279)
16 March 1991 saw us at home to rock bottom Derby County.

We saw them off 2-1 with goals from Gray and Wright. However my recollection is that it was a closer game than we would have wanted it to be, although generally on top we huffed and puffed a bit and struggled to close the game out. Gray's goal was a penalty, converted in typical 'blast it down the middle as hard as you can' fashion. Shilton in the Derby goal was, as we knew by this time having watched the World Cup, pretty hapless at penalties and my recollection is that he effectively dived out of the way of it!. Second goal I think was another typical artefact of the time, Wright finishing off a Bright knockdown. Can't remember the Derby goal other than that it was quite a good finish. I think we went 2-0 up before they grabbed one late on.

So two 2-1 wins on the bounce. As far as the league table was concerned, by this stage Man Utd had started fading badly in fifth and so it looked like only Leeds could realistically catch us. And depending on other results on the day we could have gone within 2 points of the leaders with this win, looking at Bubbs league table from last time out!

By now the realisation that we were going to finish in an unbelievable till then position had taken hold. The team was on its day capable of so much strong through its spine with flair on the wings. One or two weak spots regarding strength in depth. Its also notable how few times the team we all think of from this season played as a unit.
The real joy of the season is yet to come but already it was about what we could achieve with one or two additions. Little thought about going backwards.

stevek 14-03-2021 11:14 AM

Being two goals clear and conceding a late goal was a bit of a habit at home that season. (Edit - I see Maiden Eagle has made a related point above)

bubbs11 14-03-2021 02:17 PM

PALACE 2. Gray. Wright
DERBY 1 Micklewhite

Att: 14,752

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. McGoldrick. Sub: Pardew (for McGoldrick). Thompson (unused)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/E9C1F3E7...88C8091.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/75068BA7...B708891.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/4869D7F6...CF1EEF4.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/C3864B86...A391A7D.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/83A7E721...39C4973.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/14A7F274...B4A53F6.md.jpg

In the match day programme, a revelation about a soon to be World Heavyweight Champion. Although I think he was one of those that ‘supported’ half a dozen clubs.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/0F61A2A4...7C73BA1.md.jpg

The first rumblings that we were going to be cheated out of a European spot. Clearly Noades request to the FA was to fall on deaf ears as the England’s governing body decided to persue the best interests of one club while totally neglecting another. Take a posthumous bow Bert Millichip.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/C291B5BC...7587158.md.jpg

Grim Reaper 14-03-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15693593)
The Stonk by Hale and Pace and the Stonkers - Comic Relief tie-in which got to number 1, not much more to be said. .

Successful night at Cinatra's in 1999 - back to the flat in Selhurst Road with a young lady.

I pressed play on the tape deck to play the stuff I'd recorded off the radio back in the day for some background music and after a few minutes this came on. Mood well and truly ruined. :eek:

Hated Hale & Pace ever since. Also, what the frig was I thinking in 1991 recording this off the Top 40 in the first place??? :clown:

Grim Reaper 14-03-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15690897)
On 9 March 1991 we returned to winning ways in the league with a much needed 2-1 victory at home to Southampton. Geoff Thomas popped up with both of the goals.

Proper captain's knock that day Header + a fantastic rocket free kick in the space of a couple of minutes midway through the 2nd half.

Title bid had gone by this stage but great to see the lads were still going to go all out and finish the season as high as they could. :p

Grim Reaper 14-03-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MENTALLY TOUGH (Post 15693720)
Wasn't it around this time that both Sir Steve & Uncle Ron came out in the press and had a moan about the attendances not increasing despite the lofty league position ?

Possibly although the one that really sticks in my head was 15000 in the QF of the League Cup the following season. That's when Ron really did moan.

Looking at our attendances in the Coppell-Wright-Bright years and comparing to much lesser years i.e. most of the 21st century, I have to agree with Ron in retrospect. That said we'd gone from 10000 in 1989 to 17000 in 1990 (biggest jumo in the league) and then onto 19000 in 1991. It was still a big jump in a short period of time.

Then again 30000 had come for the Blackburn game in 1989 - why weren't we getting bigger crowds for winning First Division football?

Grim Reaper 14-03-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15703800)

In the match day programme, a revelation about a soon to be World Heavyweight Champion. Although I think he was one of those that ‘supported’ half a dozen clubs.

Another one of the half time guest efforts that generated next to no reaction from the crowd.

As a Medway boy I was pro-Gary Mason (Gillingham) at the time but Lennox kicked his arse when they met. Both players came on for half time guest slots but, in a move that would get repeated for Bentt v Hide in 1994, no one really cared.

I always understood Lennox was a West Ham fan given where he was born. Probably had friends at various clubs and likewise the players would have friends in other sports as well. I know Wright was friends with Nigel Benn for instance.

Grim Reaper 14-03-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15703279)
Shilton in the Derby goal was, as we knew by this time having watched the World Cup, pretty hapless at penalties and my recollection is that he effectively dived out of the way of it!.

Second goal I think was another typical artefact of the time, Wright finishing off a Bright knockdown. Can't remember the Derby goal other than that it was quite a good finish. I think we went 2-0 up before they grabbed one late on.

!

Exactly how I remember it. I was right behind the Gray penalty and I swear Shilts was glad to get out of the way of it as he fell down. :supergrin:

The Wright goal amazingly was his first home League goal since August!! In a season he'd go onto score 25 goals. Honestly one of those things that I check from time to time as it sounds wrong.

What reminds me of it being true is certain fans were actually having a go at him for not scoring at home....forgetting the fact he was banging them in away and winning us games every month.

bubbs11 14-03-2021 03:57 PM

Can’t recall much from this game but I clearly do remember Derby’s goal. I was stood on the Holmesdale with my brother and friends and the same guys who we didn’t really know but always stood with that year like you do.

As mentioned above, we had a tendency to concede after going two goals up and as Micklewhite ran at our defenders across the box, I just kept repeating loudly, ‘He’s gonna score...he’s gonna score....’., in a resigned ‘we always do this’ way. Goal. Everyone turns to me with peeved faces like it was my fault!

Some more classic Coppell quotes: ‘We are a carnival team.’

NickP 14-03-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15703836)
Another one of the half time guest efforts that generated next to no reaction from the crowd.

As a Medway boy I was pro-Gary Mason (Gillingham) at the time but Lennox kicked his arse when they met. Both players came on for half time guest slots but, in a move that would get repeated for Bentt v Hide in 1994, no one really cared.

I always understood Lennox was a West Ham fan given where he was born. Probably had friends at various clubs and likewise the players would have friends in other sports as well. I know Wright was friends with Nigel Benn for instance.

Gary Mason was killed at Wallington riding a bike, I think. My mate used to be his hypnotherapist to help him get the enthusiasm to train.

Olympian2 14-03-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15703908)
Can’t recall much from this game but I clearly do remember Derby’s goal. I was stood on the Holmesdale with my brother and friends and the same guys who we didn’t really know but always stood with that year like you do.

As mentioned above, we had a tendency to concede after going two goals up and as Micklewhite ran at our defenders across the box, I just kept repeating loudly, ‘He’s gonna score...he’s gonna score....’., in a resigned ‘we always do this’ way. Goal. Everyone turns to me with peeved faces like it was my fault!

Some more classic Coppell quotes: ‘We are a carnival team.’

I marked Glenn Micklewhite (Gary’s brother) in a schoolboy game once. He called me a ‘fat full back’ so I kicked the **** up in the air

Grim Reaper 15-03-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP (Post 15704254)
Gary Mason was killed at Wallington riding a bike, I think. My mate used to be his hypnotherapist to help him get the enthusiasm to train.

Wow - I had no idea he was dead. Over ten years ago as well. That's a shame. :(

I forgot just how good his record was - 37-1, with the Lennox Lewis fight being his only defeat. He fought a lot of name US fighters as well in that time.

He was obsessed with a girl I worked with in the early 90s. Briefly dated and once stood in front of a bus she was on to get the driver to stop so he could get on and speak to her to win her back after she dumped him. I wasn't there but that's her version of the story anyway!

Grim Reaper 15-03-2021 08:09 PM

On the Palace v Derby game - it took Nigel at his best to preserve the win at the end. So easy to forget it 30 years afterwards. You look at the 2-1 score but it doesn't show up anywhere in the stats about Nigel's late saves.

Bipe 17-03-2021 11:19 AM

I've been looking forward to this one...

19 March 1991 saw the second leg of our ZDS Trophy semi-final against Norwich. A good crowd turned up for the prospect of booking another Wembley appearance and we were duly rewarded as the team cruised to a 2-0 win, taking the tie 3-1 on aggregate. This was one of those nights when everything seemed to click into place from the off, sometimes with this side it was a matter of when rather than if we would score (can't say that these days!) and broadly speaking we could relax and let it happen. The game felt very similar to the play-off semi second leg against Swindon two years previously, we were in control throughout and there was only going to be one winner. A hugely professional performance and once again it was the old double act of Wright and Bright who notched the goals.

But this was Alan Pardew's night. Forget the FA Cup semi-final, this was surely his finest performance in a Palace shirt. Maybe he was sensing that his time at Palace was coming to an end, certainly, he was no longer a regular starter in the league games. But he was everywhere that night, harrying Norwich players all over the pitch, crunching into tackles, carrying the ball forward with purpose and generally bossing the midfield from the first minute to the last. A genuinely superb performance, think Michael Hughes with blond highlights and you are on the right lines.

So it was Wembley here we come again, this time around though the focus was much more on the match and the result than the occasion. It felt as though this team deserved some form of silverware for their incredible efforts, even if relatively speaking most people deemed the ZDS a Mickey Mouse trophy.

Fun facts: The first leg of the other semi-final was played on the same night as our game, finishing 3-3 between Leeds and Everton. The second leg was then played just two days later, Everton prevailing 3-1 after extra time. For Everton this was in the middle of a spell of 5 games in 11 games as fixture congestion took its toll.

andyocpfc 17-03-2021 11:47 AM

Wasn't the semi live 2nd leg at Selhurst live on Sky too? I vaguely recall the game being on tv but can't quite remember. I remember the excitement of the prospect of us going to Wembley again - what a day it was too.

bubbs11 17-03-2021 08:25 PM

Zenith Data Systems/Area Final/2nd leg

PALACE 2. Bright. Wright
NORWICH 0

(Agg: 3-1)

Att: 13,857

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: McGoldrick. Thompson. (Unused)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/7619B09D...91EFFC0.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/1864787B...91E928E.md.jpg
https://s4.gifyu.com/images/23BDC3B4...68939D6.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/A0CFCCEC...5895902.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/403E3477...BE97464.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/1A1E0742...B5C9C17.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/358F611E...5718C2A.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/D22310F7...2EF667F.md.jpg
https://s4.gifyu.com/images/4FC5DE84...C9C4039.md.jpg

Maiden Eagle 17-03-2021 09:13 PM

Great night and apart from the FA Cup Semi, Pardew's finest hour (or 90 mins) in a Palace shirt.
I'm sure, for the 2nd goal, he left a Norwich defender, for dead, before crossing for Bright's goal.

bubbs11 18-03-2021 08:30 AM

Was a great night even if it was the ZDS. Typical Coppell; stung by our defeat against Norwich in the league, he studied that game and came up with a solution by adding an extra midfielder in Pardew. The players were so up for it and treated the competition as any other, and ended being as convincing a victory a 2-0 has you’ll ever see.

N Herts Eagle 18-03-2021 09:00 AM

This was Pardews night as others have said. A game which he looked unplayable. Dominated the Norwich defence. Its like he found Billys Boots in a dusty corner of the dressing room. As an individual performance by a Palace player on one day it rates as high as any you can name. It seriously was that good.
The return to Wembley booked this was dreamland. Having watched us since the early 60s and with the guy I went to games with in thise days the 50s. The two of us returned to the car and did a Del and Rodney celebration before it had been written. Not a bad day known worse. Happy Days.

bubbs11 18-03-2021 09:58 AM

Have a story relating to this game and Wembley coincidentally.

A few months before I’d bought tickets to go and see George Michael at Wembley Arena in his Cover to cover tour. Now can I just make it clear, I am not a boy band wannabe. Honest!!! My musical tastes are best categorised as in the 60’s and Indie end of things; but for some reason George’s songwriting and voice always really appealed to me. Yes even Wham! (for shame)

So I was somewhat of a (closet) fan, so much so that I’d bought tickets for two successive nights; the first night being the expensive tickets with a great stage side view. The following night the tickets were on the cheaper ground level ones somewhere near the back.

The day the date for the Norwich game was announced my heart sank - it was the same night as the first concert with the great seats. I had a decision to make. My love for Palace won out. I just couldn’t miss seeing us possibly win a game to get to Wembley. It was still a big and unique thing in those days.

Of course my mates couldn’t wait to tell me after the event how amazing the view was. ‘George was literally looking at us!’ The concert I went to the following night was still enjoyable but the view was awful. Oh well...Wemberlee!

Olympian2 18-03-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15708436)

A few months before I’d bought tickets to go and see George Michael at Wembley Arena in his Cover to cover tour. Now can I just make it clear, I am not a boy band wannabe. Honest!!! My musical tastes are best categorised as in the 60’s and Indie end of things; but for some reason George’s songwriting and voice always really appealed to me. Yes even Wham! (for shame)

So I was somewhat of a (closet) fan, so much so that I’d bought tickets for two successive nights; the first night being the expensive tickets with a great stage side view. The following night the tickets were on the cheaper ground level ones somewhere near the back.

The day the date for the Norwich game was announced my heart sank - it was the same night as the first concert with the great seats. I had a decision to make. My love for Palace won out. I just couldn’t miss seeing us possibly win a game to get to Wembley. It was still a big and unique thing in those days.

Of course my mates couldn’t wait to tell me after the event how amazing the view was. ‘George was literally looking at us!’ The concert I went to the following night was still enjoyable but the view was awful. Oh well...Wemberlee!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...17da10eae4.jpg

N Herts Eagle 18-03-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15708436)

This is why I love this thread. Its the reminder of things what 30 years ago now. Some games have faded into the past dimmed by the passing of the years. Others like this semi final live on memories made never forgotten. For me the celebration in the car when we got back tiny moment in time. But I can close my eyes and recall it as much as seeing Pardew skipping past defenders that night. Helps recall a friend who died what 10 years ago now and brings a smile recalling the laughs the good times. Not the last few years where ill health ate away at him till he was but a shadow of the fun loving guy i knew. The last months would see him weekly after work would often have to feed him to help the nursing staff. Its easy to remember those times forget the crazy days. Trips around the country the laughter following Palace together. Even more so before I was married crazy times.
For me 30 years latter who can reach the bathroom and can forget what I went for its enlightening.

Bipe 18-03-2021 03:47 PM

Great post above by N Herts Eagle, on the back of Bubbs' own vivid memories. Nostalgia is an overrated pastime in the eyes of some but there is definitely something to be said for allowing your mind to wander back to those memorable moments in your Palace supporting life. From there you can trigger thoughts and recollections more widely about the things you were doing and the people you circulated with at work and at play.

I forgot to do the new entries into the top ten for week ending 16 March 1991 so here they are:

Joyride by Roxette - the Swedish duo had been big for a couple of years by now, this was another slice of catchy power pop with a slick production. Never going to change the world but absolutely no harm in it. Was sad to hear of the death of 'the female one' last year (sorry, cannot remember her name) at a relatively young age.

It's Too Late by Quartz featuring Dina Carroll - this sparsely produced cover of the Carole King classic introduced Dina to the wider public. For a brief period she was the next big thing in British soul, enjoying a few fairly sizeable solo hits before seemingly disappearing from view.

Latvian Eagle 18-03-2021 03:53 PM

I think I know why I thought Perry Suckling played this game now. I haven't got the match day programme anymore, but was he on the cover or the poster in the middle by any chance?

bubbs11 18-03-2021 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15708678)
I think I know why I thought Perry Suckling played this game now. I haven't got the match day programme anymore, but was he on the cover or the poster in the middle by any chance?

Poster in the middle :p

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/9345F2EB...74D8F25.md.jpg

N Herts Eagle 18-03-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15708744)

Made me laugh talking odd old recollections on here and Latvian and Perry Suckling is resolved on the same day.

Grim Reaper 18-03-2021 08:29 PM

Classic tale there bubbs! And here's me, still never been to a gig or concert in my life and you were planning on doing two in two nights!

Was a great night. Have to be honest though I can't remember the Wright goal, but a very clear recollection of the Pardew assist for Bright to score.

Definitely Pardew's finest Palace game for which Eagle Eye dubbed him 'Mr Semi Final'

Grim Reaper 18-03-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15707467)
Fun facts: The first leg of the other semi-final was played on the same night as our game, finishing 3-3 between Leeds and Everton. The second leg was then played just two days later, Everton prevailing 3-1 after extra time. For Everton this was in the middle of a spell of 5 games in 11 games as fixture congestion took its toll.

And my guess is, without looking at the team sheets from that time, that Everton had hardly any squad rotation either.

JJ 18-03-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15708913)
And here's me, still never been to a gig or concert in my life and you were planning on doing two in two nights!

On a couple of occasions I've gone to two concerts on the same night. Both happened to have been The Human League first, then Client afterwards, and both times THL were playing at Shepherds Bush Empire. For the first time I had to leave THL before they'd finished, but the next time Client were on very late so was easy.

JJ 18-03-2021 11:01 PM

Back on topic, it was great to qualify to play at Wembley for the 3rd time in less than a year. I can't say I remember anything about the game itself, although if I watched the goals again it might jog some distant corner of the brain.

bubbs11 19-03-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709003)
Back on topic, it was great to qualify to play at Wembley for the 3rd time in less than a year. I can't say I remember anything about the game itself, although if I watched the goals again it might jog some distant corner of the brain.

If you scroll to 0:49 of this video I made, you’ll see a quick clip of Wrighty’s goal.

Bipe 22-03-2021 07:46 AM

23 March 1991 saw us travel to Elland Road for a key game against Leeds. This was a chance to put clear daylight between us and them, and take a giant step towards a third place finish and UEFA Cup football the following season. The team duly delivered with a hard fought 2-1 win in a pretty intense and physical game, Wright and Salako scoring the goals.

Of course Leeds were the 'coming team' at this time, enjoying an excellent first season back in the top flight after promotion the previous year and just over a year into the future they would be crowned champions. They had an experienced and competitive squad, probably one of the few teams who equalled us in the physicality department with the likes of Whyte, Batty and Chapman all more than happy to leave something in on their opponents. So this win should not be underestimated, and it was our third 2-1 win on the bounce as we recovered well from our dodgy patch in February. It will be interesting to see just how close to the top of the table we were at this late stage, with only 8 games remaining.

We seemed to have a pretty good record up at Elland Road around this era with a few wins springing to mind including Dave Madden's famous dribbly penalty during our 1989 promotion surge.

bubbs11 22-03-2021 08:19 AM

LEEDS 1. Speed
PALACE 2. Wright. Salako

Att: 28,556

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: McGoldrick. Thompson. (Unused)

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/96B98267...F3923C8.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/7ECD2F97...6A55A6D.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/148DA6FC...FE413B8.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/FAA3A484...0889DC5.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/B78D0247...B378B09.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/56BD1F91...1AE0F07.md.jpg

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/9810867C...44107F6.md.jpg

—————————————————————————

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/69F2662A...6614502.md.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/86t5yK7/1-BE3-C989-...4170-DBA29.jpg

N Herts Eagle 22-03-2021 08:34 AM

The result that had me believing we were going to finish top 3. A dodgy spell ended and what seemed like our regular score 2 1. Though that is like the team we all reel off. It was the most played but i am surprised it played so little.
But its the England call ups the only time more than one player in the squad in our history. As we know it reaches 4 by the end of the season. That really shows how good this side was.

David Giles 22-03-2021 11:14 AM

We were good that day - matched them in every department. Hits home that they went on to win the league the following year. Love Coppell to death but his recruitment at the end of that season cost us: Sinnott & a young Coleman. Leeds, by contrast, signed Wallace and Dorigo and, later, Cantona and won the league. Gutted.

Latvian Eagle 22-03-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 15712992)
We were good that day - matched them in every department. Hits home that they went on to win the league the following year. Love Coppell to death but his recruitment at the end of that season cost us: Sinnott & a young Coleman. Leeds, by contrast, signed Wallace and Dorigo and, later, Cantona and won the league. Gutted.

Slightly remarkable stat but we are the only team in 1991/92 that took more than three points off of that Leeds team (Won at Home, Drew at Elland Road)

The other teams they lost to, Manchester City, Oldham and QPR they beat in the return game (all 4 of their defeat that season were also Away).

bubbs11 22-03-2021 12:14 PM

It’s funny, after a few years had passed from that season, in my mind’s eye, I thought we pretty much fell away from the top two a lot earlier. It was only a few years ago I went back and looked at the tables again and realised we had got to late March and were still only 5pts behind the leaders, and so still title contenders.

The reality at the time of course felt very different. Both Arsenal and Liverpool had a game in hand and both looked very strong, and the odds of them both losing games and us suddenly hitting another gear, which it didn’t look like we had in us, felt very low.

Still, the facts do not lie; it’s March 23rd and little old Palace are within two wins of leading the table. The following two games would dispel any dream any Palace fan dared to have.

Bipe 22-03-2021 12:32 PM

I was going to make a similar point to Bubbs, surprised to see that we're still only 5 points off top with 8 games to play. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had gone into the two games vs QPR and Arsenal in February with the view that we probably had to win both of them to stand any realistic chance of winning the league. When we took only 1 point from those games it was a case of 'oh well, nice to dream about it but that's it'. Probably the fact that Arsenal had hammered us so comprehensively magnified that feeling, if we had gone down fighting to an unlucky 2-1 defeat or something then the flame might still have flickered.

A couple of other things to note - Pardew kept his place after his midweek ZDS heroics. Again, my memory of this season was that once the midfield four of Salako, Gray, Thomas, McGoldrick became settled, they remained virtually unchanged all season. In fact that was far from the case and Coppell did make regular adjustments. And also worth noting that nobody at this stage had won more away games than us, only Liverpool equalling our tally of 8 wins on the road. A highly impressive effort.

Finally, I had forgotten that this season only two teams got relegated - having tinkered the top division down to 20 teams the powers that be changed their mind and proceeded to bump the numbers back up again. Derby and Sunderland now looking very safe bets for the drop.

AddoWolz 22-03-2021 07:28 PM

Leeds entered the pitch to The Fanfare for the Common Man , still after all these years sticks out in my mind as the most impressive entrance ever .
As an aside, when we scored our second goal a mate of mine went loopy on the terrace and ended up breaking his ankle :D

Maiden Eagle 22-03-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 15712992)

TBF, Coleman was a signing more for the future and turned out to be a good buy, until he started behaving like a spoilt schoolkid, at the end of his time at Palace.

But Lee Sinnott.........oh dear !

November85 23-03-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15713048)
I was going to make a similar point to Bubbs, surprised to see that we're still only 5 points off top with 8 games to play. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had gone into the two games vs QPR and Arsenal in February with the view that we probably had to win both of them to stand any realistic chance of winning the league. When we took only 1 point from those games it was a case of 'oh well, nice to dream about it but that's it'. Probably the fact that Arsenal had hammered us so comprehensively magnified that feeling, if we had gone down fighting to an unlucky 2-1 defeat or something then the flame might still have flickered.

A couple of other things to note - Pardew kept his place after his midweek ZDS heroics. Again, my memory of this season was that once the midfield four of Salako, Gray, Thomas, McGoldrick became settled, they remained virtually unchanged all season. In fact that was far from the case and Coppell did make regular adjustments. And also worth noting that nobody at this stage had won more away games than us, only Liverpool equalling our tally of 8 wins on the road. A highly impressive effort.

Finally, I had forgotten that this season only two teams got relegated - having tinkered the top division down to 20 teams the powers that be changed their mind and proceeded to bump the numbers back up again. Derby and Sunderland now looking very safe bets for the drop.

And when they switched it back and four teams went down a few years later, it was us who finished fourth bottom!

Bipe 24-03-2021 08:52 AM

The new entries into the top ten for week ending 23 March 1991 were certainly an eclectic bunch:

Rhythm Of My Heart by Rod Stewart - unlike his contemporaries David Bowie and Elton John, by this stage of his career Rod had long since given up any pretence of innovation or experimentation and instead had settled into artistically limited but lucrative rut of churning out bland AOR such as this. It was hard to imagine anyone under the age of 50 liking it let alone buying it. The addition of bagpipes into the track was a cynical play for the Scottish vote from the born and bred Londoner which worked well - it got to number 3 and stayed there for 3 weeks.

The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes - I never quite got my head around what propelled this song to number 1 (it stayed there for 5 weeks and was the 7th best selling single of the year). Some sort of Roger Daltrey movie tie-in from what I can recall, I never paid much attention to it. The song itself would have lent itself quite well to a Coke advert of the era, all inspiring lyrics and radio friendly chunky guitar chords. He had a couple of minor follow up hits and then quick sunk back into obscurity.

Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) / How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? by Pet Shop Boys - whilst never being an outright fan of PSB I have always admired their arch take on synth pop and their way around a melody, they have delivered some truly memorable tunes over the years. By contrast I loathe U2 so this song left me somewhat torn. But definitely better than the original and the segway into the Frankie Valli classic was a typically knowing touch which worked well.

stevek 24-03-2021 03:56 PM

I didn't do many away games in 1990-91. As I think I mentioned before, non-home game weekends were generally taken up visiting my then girlfriend (now ex-wife) who was still at the University where we met.

But as that University was Leeds, I did go to this one.

Grim Reaper 25-03-2021 11:21 AM

Bitter sweet memory for me this one. Got the shit kicked out of me on the Friday afternoon (I sort of deserved it but it was somewhat over and above what would have been acceptable force) and subsequently didn't go to the pub on Friday....the night my year-long crush finally became single and was in need of cheering up! The one night I truly should have been in the pub. FFS.

Spent Saturday in bed, battered and bruised but that Salako goal at the end certainly cheered me up. Was a much needed morale booster. Thanks JS!

Grim Reaper 25-03-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15715037)
The new entries into the top ten for week ending 23 March 1991 were certainly an eclectic bunch:

Rhythm Of My Heart by Rod Stewart - unlike his contemporaries David Bowie and Elton John, by this stage of his career Rod had long since given up any pretence of innovation or experimentation and instead had settled into artistically limited but lucrative rut of churning out bland AOR such as this. It was hard to imagine anyone under the age of 50 liking it let alone buying it. The addition of bagpipes into the track was a cynical play for the Scottish vote from the born and bred Londoner which worked well - it got to number 3 and stayed there for 3 weeks.

The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes - I never quite got my head around what propelled this song to number 1 (it stayed there for 5 weeks and was the 7th best selling single of the year). Some sort of Roger Daltrey movie tie-in from what I can recall, I never paid much attention to it. The song itself would have lent itself quite well to a Coke advert of the era, all inspiring lyrics and radio friendly chunky guitar chords. He had a couple of minor follow up hits and then quick sunk back into obscurity.

Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) / How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? by Pet Shop Boys - whilst never being an outright fan of PSB I have always admired their arch take on synth pop and their way around a melody, they have delivered some truly memorable tunes over the years. By contrast I loathe U2 so this song left me somewhat torn. But definitely better than the original and the segway into the Frankie Valli classic was a typically knowing touch which worked well.

Great review of these songs, as ever, mate. Rod Stewart and his Scottish 'thing' - how did that actually start? I know he's big on Celtic and the Scottish team in general but what's his actual connection to Scotland?

PSB - loved them from day one although this is a song I forget about which is a shame really as it's a great pop tune. Need to get that blasting on Alexa later :p

And talking of pop tunes, I never fully liked that Chesney song at the time yet as the years go by I can appreciate why it did so well. It was a well put together piece of pop, nothing more than that but the tune is catchy and the hook is memorable. Would be the sort of song that would have won Eurovision then and even now to a degree - not necessarily the best song but one that can be instantly memorable and in a contest like that, those songs often win.

bubbs11 25-03-2021 01:06 PM

In the news this week 30 years ago...

An inquest in Sheffield into the Hillsborough disaster records a verdict of accidental death on the 95 people who died.

John Major announces the abolition of the Community Charge

Manchester United sign Soviet winger Andrei Kanchelskis, 22, from FC Shakhtar Donetsk for £1million.

Ossie Ardiles leaves Swindon Town to become the new manager of Newcastle United following the resignation of Jim Smith.

Bipe 25-03-2021 01:41 PM

Rod Stewart's dad was Scottish so to be fair there was some sort of connection there. However I believe he flutter around from club to club as a 'supporter' before eventually settling on Celtic relatively late in life. Inevitably, the Wankers were one of the sides who received his allegiance for a while.

I guess the poll tax riots have some resonance with current news headlines. Anything up to half a million people there depending on what estimate you believe, it was carnage but it focussed the politicians' minds alright. The power of non-peaceful protest.

Kanchelskis took a little while to become a first team regular for the Wankers, Ferguson bedded him in gradually. He played on the final game of that season against us, a match we will come to in a few weeks. Later on in his career there was a strong rumour that he was living in East Grinstead, on the Herontye estate, which was where I happened to be living at the time. He was playing for Rangers at the time and the story was that he commuted up there from Gatwick Airport. Always seemed a bit too bizarre to be true, although in those days footballers living in relatively modest homes was still not that uncommon. I remember Cantona being stalked by the press in front of a very ordinary looking house when the whole Kung Fu kick thing blew up.