CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

I Hate Brighton 20-06-2021 11:02 AM

I was in the Holmesdale when Micky Thomas took that long range shot and despite Fry's best attempts to get close enough to palm it out, had to admire what in my opinion was one of the best away goals I've seen at Selhurst.
I also remember Jordan getting loads of stick before and during the game, so it was disappointing for him to get their first goal.
Love watching some of the old games and who doesn't like the late, great Brian Moore.

Bipe 25-06-2021 12:00 PM

I have fallen well behind with these shows due to other commitments but yesterday I was able to sit down and catch up on the FA Cup third round action from early January 1980.

The featured game was the big clash between Spurs and Manchester United at White Hart Lane. Brian Moore informed us before kick off that, as you would expect, there was a sell-out crowd and in fact people had been turning up since shortly after dawn to ensure they would get in and watch the game. It almost made you weep to think about what we have lost, the FA Cup was such a massive competition back then.

Both sides of course picked their strongest possible line-ups, for Spurs this meant a debut for 17 year old Terry Gibson due to an injury crisis up front. Young Terry sported a crew cut back then and not the flowing gypsy locks he would adopt as he grew older. He had obviously been well schooled in the dark arts, happy to leave his foot in a few times much to the annoyance of the United defenders. Unfortunately for him his partner upfront was our old friend Chris 'shit' Jones, although to be fair Jones had a reasonably lively game and was unlucky to see Gary Bailey claw away a snapshot from 20 yards. The game ended 1-1, Ardiles turning from hero to villain in a few second half minutes. First opening the scoring with a low left footed strike and then conceding a very soft penalty when Gordon McQueen made the most of some contact from a cross. Spurs went on to win the replay at Old Trafford, I believe from memory Ardiles scored a great goal in that game in which Glenn Hoddle ended up playing in goal!

We then had very brief highlights from second division Birmingham's 2-1 win over first division high fliers Southampton. Noteworthy from the Palace perspective for a young Mark Dennis in the Blues line up, in fact his long throw led to their early opening goal. The St Andrews pitch was in a remarkable state, so many massive divots on it that it looked like it might have been imported from one of the fairways at The Belfry down the road.

Finally we went to fourth division Halifax versus first division Manchester City. This was most interesting for me as I recall watching it on the original Big Match all those years ago (I have no memory of the two games which preceded it). It must have been an early kick off as the whole game was played in broad daylight albeit grey skies, with not a floodlight in sight. If Birmingham's pitch was bad then The Shay was a whole other level - think allotments which had been used for practice by the local quad biking formation team. Typical cup tie fayre of the era, Halifax lobbed balls forward and City struggled to cope on the quagmire of a pitch. Eventually they wilted and Halifax got the goal they deserved for a famous 1-0 win. City manager Malcolm Allison sitting passively in the dugout looking forlorn and resigned to his fate.

Again this was a cracking 50 minutes or so of viewing after fast-forwarding through the adverts. They did a really good job of putting together the highlights packages in those days. You didn't have endless replays of every incident and of course there was none of the tedious studio analysis from the Alan Shearer of the day to waste time in between matches, it was all centred on the action.

burgess hill 84 18-07-2021 07:33 PM

Crystal palace v Liverpool 0-0 draw, on next Saturday morning.

Sleeping Giant 20-07-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15908779)
Crystal palace v Liverpool 0-0 draw, on next Saturday morning.

The last time there was a proper crowd at Selhurst? Never been the same club since. We were top 6 then (crowds) :sob:

Polak 20-07-2021 09:07 AM

45,583. It was the 6th highest attendance at Selhurst ever. The Wimbledon v Leeds FA Cup replay had an attendance of 45,071 which was the largest attendance for a match which didn't involve us. Nothing to do with this thread, just an knteresting statistic.

Polak 20-07-2021 09:12 AM

Just thought, I hope they don't do the same for the 80/81 season. That was one I'd rather forget.

Bipe 20-07-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 15910895)
Just thought, I hope they don't do the same for the 80/81 season. That was one I'd rather forget.

I think our appearances became less frequent as we sunk to the bottom...we were no longer the interesting new kids in town. I do remember a home defeat against Everton being on and the defeat against Man City billed as the 'Big Mal derby' but that's about it.

SA Eagle 20-07-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15911128)
I think our appearances became less frequent as we sunk to the bottom...we were no longer the interesting new kids in town. I do remember a home defeat against Everton being on and the defeat against Man City billed as the 'Big Mal derby' but that's about it.

I think the 1-0 home win against Man U after Venables had left was on as well

congress 20-07-2021 05:57 PM

Brighton v Palace on tonight on itv4 at 6.00pm from October 1976.

Bipe 20-07-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15911753)

Yes you're right, the Peter Nicholas goal.

burgess hill 84 20-07-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15911753)

And the 2-1 defeat at home to Ipswich from September 1980.
As well as the 3-2 defeat at home to Man City as someone else mentioned.

Sleeping Giant 24-07-2021 01:35 PM

Watched 1980 v Liverpool this morning. What a fantastic advert for us, reminding the football world that we were firmly on our way to being relevant even back then (till the customary Palace meltdown). Would urge anyone to catch it on the ITV HUB. Was at the game but spent it chatting to mates and not really absorbing it, so great to see it again. What a keeper Burridge was, what a crowd we used to get for the biggest games (never again) I didn’t realise how easily we could have won this too, even with Fenwick in for Sansom. You’d have thought that would have given us the confidence not to collapse like a pack of cards at that point. Most importantly, my last Palace game without a driving licence

ElwissAtMemphis 24-07-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15912169)
Yes you're right, the Peter Nicholas goal.

MENTALLY TOUGH 24-07-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15912572)
And the 2-1 defeat at home to Ipswich from September 1980.
As well as the 3-2 defeat at home to Man City as someone else mentioned.

& a 0-3 thrashing at home to that lot from down the A23

Vince Hilaire's Afro 24-07-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15918290)

Nicholas looking to curl one?

art malice 25-07-2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant (Post 15918229)
Watched 1980 v Liverpool this morning. What a fantastic advert for us, reminding the football world that we were firmly on our way to being relevant even back then (till the customary Palace meltdown). Would urge anyone to catch it on the ITV HUB. Was at the game but spent it chatting to mates and not really absorbing it, so great to see it again. What a keeper Burridge was, what a crowd we used to get for the biggest games (never again) I didn’t realise how easily we could have won this too, even with Fenwick in for Sansom. You’d have thought that would have given us the confidence not to collapse like a pack of cards at that point. Most importantly, my last Palace game without a driving licence

Scousers all over the Holmesdale

Carlise Few 30-07-2021 12:46 PM

Just watched Palace Borough on Big Match catch up - from December 79. My conclusion - surely Vince Hilaire is Wilf's Dad - even down to the temperament!

Vince Hilaire's Afro 30-07-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlise Few (Post 15926870)
Just watched Palace Borough on Big Match catch up - from December 79. My conclusion - surely Vince Hilaire is Wilf's Dad - even down to the temperament!

It's a long time ago now, but I'm pretty sure an early Eagle Eye 'published' my story (or was it a comic strip - can't remember) 'Vince Hilaire and his dissent-inducing afro hair'.

READING EAGLE 01-08-2021 11:12 PM

The bench

Most teams have home bench on the right as we did back in 1979 - just watched the Liverpool highlights, its now on the left.

When did it swap?

Stats74 10-08-2021 02:29 PM

So Big Match Revisited is rolling straight on to 1980-81…and we are featured! No spoilers but if you know your history you won’t need telling.