CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

Up The Junction 07-09-2021 09:00 PM

How did Mike Flanagan keep his place for nearly two seasons? 8 goals in 56 games and 3 of them in one game. A poor purchase by Venables especially when Swindlehurst was allowed to leave. 80-81 was such a depressing season.

joyce the voice 07-09-2021 09:08 PM

I hated Flanagan. Always had his back to goal.

Olympian2 07-09-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up The Junction (Post 15993937)
How did Mike Flanagan keep his place for nearly two seasons? 8 goals in 56 games and 3 of them in one game. A poor purchase by Venables especially when Swindlehurst was allowed to leave. 80-81 was such a depressing season.

‘We’ll take more care of you, Swindlehurst, Swindlehurst’

Philipw 07-09-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up The Junction (Post 15993937)

Because he cost a lot of money

Maiden Eagle 08-09-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 15987129)
Or with those tackles

Yeah, that tackle by McDermott on the WBA player. Horrendous, even in those days and yet, just a booking.

Yet just a few complaints from the West Brom players, even though it was really a career threatening challenge !

burgess hill 84 23-09-2021 01:28 PM

We are on again on Saturday morning if anyone wants to watch our defeat at home to WBA from 1980.

MENTALLY TOUGH 24-09-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 16018444)
We are on again on Saturday morning if anyone wants to watch our defeat at home to WBA from 1980.

The game where Bog Ron is on the WBA bench but is linked up with Brian Moore on the Gantry.

GorBlimey 28-09-2021 07:35 PM

Palace V Forest just now on !TV4. 1-0 to Palace:lux:
Very good watch and great interviews with Jim Cannon and Brian Clough.

monkey 29-09-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MENTALLY TOUGH (Post 16019770)
The game where Bog Ron is on the WBA bench but is linked up with Brian Moore on the Gantry.

I watched that game yesterday, technology starting to kick in.:supergrin:

Funniest thing was Ron Atkinson’s hair in the interview at the end, I think we used to call that the shredded wheat look

David of Kent 29-09-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16027249)
Palace V Forest just now on !TV4. 1-0 to Palace:lux:
Very good watch and great interviews with Jim Cannon and Brian Clough.

Was fantastic, the game, the interviews, all of it. What was particularly interesting for me was that we all hear how everyone lined up 442 in the day without much change. In this game CPFC lined up 4312. I'm not sure if it was to negate Robertson as Forest's chief supplier, but it meant Nico was on the right of the midfield 3 and supporting Doris throughout whilst Vince played centrally in the hole. Fascinating watch.

GorBlimey 29-09-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David of Kent (Post 16028435)
Was fantastic, the game, the interviews, all of it. What was particularly interesting for me was that we all hear how everyone lined up 442 in the day without much change. In this game CPFC lined up 4312. I'm not sure if it was to negate Robertson as Forest's chief supplier, but it meant Nico was on the right of the midfield 3 and supporting Doris throughout whilst Vince played centrally in the hole. Fascinating watch.

Just watched the 3-0 to Liverpool at Anfield. Liverpool were so good back in the day and it was interesting to hear Venables say that some of our players would have found it difficult at Anfield - we were such a young side!

Funny to see the dog on the pitch at St. James Park! :D

David of Kent 29-09-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16028471)
Just watched the 3-0 to Liverpool at Anfield. Liverpool were so good back in the day and it was interesting to hear Venables say that some of our players would have found it difficult at Anfield - we were such a young side!

Funny to see the dog on the pitch at St. James Park! :D

Absolutely. In some ways that game is a tougher watch knowing it's downhill from there. Second half of the season wasn't great and we all know what happened after that. Was good to see Jim Cannon saying what he learned from the NFFC win was that we could win the title. Oh Jim

burgess hill 84 05-10-2021 12:49 PM

On Again this Saturday morning, our 1-0 win at home to Man Utd.
We love you Ernie, we do.....

monkey 05-10-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 16037279)

Thanks!!

Considering how bad a season we had, we were on the big match a lot. Although it feels quite sad watching it now as the team of the 80’s were gradually drifting away, no sansom, swindlehurst or burridge at this point, but I remember strangely enjoying that season, and I liked Clive Allen:eek: The enthusiasm of youth I suppose and that Adidas kit still gives me orgasms, especially the sky blue away one

old geezer 05-10-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 16037470)
Thanks!!

Considering how bad a season we had, we were on the big match a lot. Although it feels quite sad watching it now as the team of the 80’s were gradually drifting away, no sansom, swindlehurst or burridge at this point, but I remember strangely enjoying that season, and I liked Clive Allen:eek: The enthusiasm of youth I suppose and that Adidas kit still gives me orgasms, especially the sky blue away one

The director of the Big Match was Bob Gardam - he was a mate of mine before he passed away
He said they always loved going to Palace when Big Mal and Venables were there as they were looked after very well
Also remember Brian Moore used to host a kids Christmas party at Palace quite regularly

Sleeping Giant 05-10-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old geezer (Post 16037509)
The director of the Big Match was Bob Gardam - he was a mate of mine before he passed away

Do tell us some good Big Match gossip OG.

monkey 05-10-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old geezer (Post 16037509)
He said they always loved going to Palace when Big Mal and Venables were there as they were looked after very well
Also remember Brian Moore used to host a kids Christmas party at Palace quite regularly

I think Brian Moore did have a soft spot for us. We used to stand under the tv stand back then and I was always really proud to see him climbing up the ladder and knowing he was above us during a game, the voice of football for our generation

Hedgehog 05-10-2021 08:31 PM

I met Brian Moore in Eric Flight's sports shop in Bromley one time. He was there with Kieth Weller doing some sort of promotional thing. I think there was another player there also, put I'm not recalling who it was. We talked about Palace and Alan Birchenal for some reason... I guess as Weller was mates with him from Chelsea.

Both very friendly. Saw Brian a bit later walking away from the shop and he actually waved at us... which impressed me as we were just oiky teenagers at the time.

Danny_Cheviot 05-10-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 16037279)

:p Thanks for the tip. Phone alarm set......:)

Nth Kent Eagle 05-10-2021 08:53 PM

Brian Moore lived in Farnborough Park I believe. I recall him being asked once and he said he was a Gillingham supporter. My recollection could be wrong on the last bit.