CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

Pikie Punisher 23-02-2022 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc (Post 16285930)
Quite a few in the Chelsea line up with palace connections Locke Langley lewington wicks Cooke Wilkins not sure if droy was at Chelsea at this time .

Feels like they've been showing every Chelsea home match from 1977 on TBMR recently!

Bipe 23-02-2022 06:54 PM

One of the unexpected joys of this series is the frequency at which you come across players with a Palace connection - past, future or even managers. A few weeks back I saw a very young and skinny looking Kevin Taylor scoring for Sheffield Wednesday against an Orient side featuring good old Henry Hughton. On the same programme the West Ham vs Bolton game featured two of our future left backs, Paul Brush who put in quite a buccaneering display for the Hammers and a young David Burke for Bolton.

Last night I watched Spurs vs Wolves, the away side coming back from the dead to snatch an undeserved 2-2 draw. They had our old friend John Lacey to thank for that, he was directly at fault for the first Wolves goal with a scuffed clearance which Atkinson gratefully snaffled with a first time shot from the edge of the area. And he didn't cover himself in glory for the second goal either, caught flat footed and lumbering underneath a long diagonal ball which Wolves legend 'King' John Richards slotted home. On the Wolves side a young John Humphrey had a bit of a torrid time up against Ricky Villa who took every opportunity to take him on.

There was also Arsenal winning 5-0 away to a woeful Leeds, Kenny Sansom much in evidence and Leeds were so bad that even Steve Gatting scored. John Lukic chucked a couple into his own net, the first a comedy fumble over the line from an innocuous cross when under no pressure whatsoever. And a cracking game between Southampton and Ipswich which ended in a 3-3 draw, Saints coming back from 2-0 and then 3-1 down to snatch a point. Terry Butcher quite rightly sent off for two animal tackles from behind which prompted Bobby Robson to have a good old whinge after the game, the Jurgen Klopp of his era.

Ian Hart 24-02-2022 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16287883)
One of the unexpected joys of this series is the frequency at which you come across players with a Palace connection - past, future or even managers. A few weeks back I saw a very young and skinny looking Kevin Taylor scoring for Sheffield Wednesday against an Orient side featuring good old Henry Hughton. On the same programme the West Ham vs Bolton game featured two of our future left backs, Paul Brush who put in quite a buccaneering display for the Hammers and a young David Burke for Bolton.

Last night I watched Spurs vs Wolves, the away side coming back from the dead to snatch an undeserved 2-2 draw. They had our old friend John Lacey to thank for that, he was directly at fault for the first Wolves goal with a scuffed clearance which Atkinson gratefully snaffled with a first time shot from the edge of the area. And he didn't cover himself in glory for the second goal either, caught flat footed and lumbering underneath a long diagonal ball which Wolves legend 'King' John Richards slotted home. On the Wolves side a young John Humphrey had a bit of a torrid time up against Ricky Villa who took every opportunity to take him on.

There was also Arsenal winning 5-0 away to a woeful Leeds, Kenny Sansom much in evidence and Leeds were so bad that even Steve Gatting scored. John Lukic chucked a couple into his own net, the first a comedy fumble over the line from an innocuous cross when under no pressure whatsoever. And a cracking game between Southampton and Ipswich which ended in a 3-3 draw, Saints coming back from 2-0 and then 3-1 down to snatch a point. Terry Butcher quite rightly sent off for two animal tackles from behind which prompted Bobby Robson to have a good old whinge after the game, the Jurgen Klopp of his era.

I remember the Times once describing John Lacey as having "a turning circle roughly equivalent to that of the QE2"

cranesparkeagle 24-02-2022 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leicester1 (Post 7332058)
We were quite proud of the old hot air balloon that saved a few games at Filbert Street.
Wonder if i was at the game mentioned,1978/79,off the top of my head,some dark days and low attendences at Leicester back then.

But soon to be turned round by Jock Wallace,a couple of experienced heads and a glut of youngsters.........i know.......:S:

I just remember, was it Keith Weller? in the track bottoms

Polak 10-05-2022 11:32 AM

Match Time Revisited on Saturday has our quater final v QPR from 1982. Interesting match, even though we lost, because of the Clive Allen celebration which the police investigated and the subsequent shenanigans on the pitch at full time. ITV4 at 10:30.

Philipw 10-05-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polak (Post 16416873)
Match Time Revisited on Saturday has our quater final v QPR from 1982. Interesting match, even though we lost, because of the Clive Allen celebration which the police investigated and the subsequent shenanigans on the pitch at full time. ITV4 at 10:30.

remember being there - horrible day

monkey 10-05-2022 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipw (Post 16416919)

I was there as well, gutted about the result, but a great atmosphere, especially after travelling up and down the country all season with sometimes less than 100 of us, it made the mass take over of their pokey little ground an enjoyable day really despite the result

laths 10-05-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Bloody packed in that lower tier, went from the back to the front nearly and couldn’t do anything about it. ‘‘Twas a tad frightening I recall .

Garfy 10-05-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laths (Post 16417424)
Bloody packed in that lower tier, went from the back to the front nearly and couldn’t do anything about it. ‘‘Twas a tad frightening I recall .

Horrid ground and horrid club and likewise it was pretty scary when Clive Allen ran down to our end to celebrate. He should have been charged for incitement.

bourne man 10-05-2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Interesting outside after the final whistle, kicking off all round the ground, running battles all the way down to Shepherds Bush

monkey 10-05-2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

I was in the lower tier as well, right behind the goal, it was a bit scary. But what an atmosphere, football crowds didn’t need organised displays, drums and balloons back then,atmosphere just happened

Philipw 10-05-2022 08:21 PM

Quote:

Yep, was in there too….

Polak 10-05-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 16417436)
Horrid ground and horrid club and likewise it was pretty scary when Clive Allen ran down to our end to celebrate. He should have been charged for incitement.

The police wanted to and interviewed venables but nothing came of it.

John from Beare Green 10-05-2022 09:04 PM

I was there too. I knew fans were going to spill off the terrace at our end, regardless of the result, as soon as the match was over just because the crush was so great.

monkey 10-05-2022 09:29 PM

Did anyone else get their knuckles rapped by a truncheon for leaning over the wall and trying to pull the edge of the ‘carpet’ up? Or was that just me and my mate? :D

Polak 10-05-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 16417698)
Did anyone else get their knuckles rapped by a truncheon for leaning over the wall and trying to pull the edge of the ‘carpet’ up? Or was that just me and my mate? :D

:D

joyce the voice 10-05-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 16417495)
I was in the lower tier as well, right behind the goal, it was a bit scary. But what an atmosphere, football crowds didn’t need organised displays, drums and balloons back then,atmosphere just happened

that atmosphere was really intense. Christ knows what it would have been like had we scored.

ElwissAtMemphis 11-05-2022 12:13 AM

Remember Vince getting hacked down by Glen Roeder when clean through at our end? A red card all day long under current laws but he got away with a yellow and Palace being Palace squandered the free kick. I'd be interested to see a replay; I don't think I've seen it since watching it live (or am I confusing it with another match?). It was brushed under the carpet at the time (metaphorically if not literally).

joyce the voice 11-05-2022 12:25 AM

Bit like that Willie Young foul in the 1980 FA Cup final if I remember right. Still, Vince was never a very good finisher so he would probably not have scored. I loved him though!

burgess hill 84 11-05-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 16417698)

There were more arrests made at that game than at the other Quarter final Chelsea v Spurs that was being played 3 miles away at the same time.