CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

Adlerhorst 13-04-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR5 Eagle (Post 12926188)
After years of slowly getting more annoyed with Apple as a company and it's total lack of flexibility I am really close to switching from and iPhone 6 to the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. In switching to Android what am I going to miss the most - will I live to regret it? I really want something with excellent battery life, decent camera, I don't use many apps just podcasts, strava and spotify plus a few games if bored - can I use the Samsung to read books from my Kindle as on Android?

Am I about to make some heinous error or be liberated?

You know how the podcasts app on the iphone is not all that.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

trev81 14-04-2016 09:09 PM

I don't like iPhone or any iOS because I can't watch video. There are some websites that has issues with Flash Player which is basically not in iOS.

Heb 7:4 14-04-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trev81 (Post 12929339)
I don't like iPhone or any iOS because I can't watch video. There are some websites that has issues with Flash Player which is basically not in iOS.

Puffin Broswer for iOS (amongst others) plays flash fine.

kolinkins 17-04-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 (Post 12929360)
Puffin Broswer for iOS (amongst others) plays flash fine.

Unless you get the latest version

Heb 7:4 17-04-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolinkins (Post 12933522)
Unless you get the latest version

Couldn't say, I don't miss flash at all anymore so don't use puffin or any of the other alternatives. It used to be necessary so I used it a fair bit, but don't bother any more as most websites don't seem to need it

lostandfound86 20-04-2016 10:39 AM

For me, Iphone is not user-friendly, though, it has lots of features other mobiles don't offer.

Worksop Palace 17-05-2016 07:12 PM

Hi

I have an iPhone 5s. My beautiful wife dropped it on the drive a few months ago and put a nice crack in the screen near the bottom of the phone. Suddenly the reset button at the bottom is not working so to change modes I have to turn the fecker off and reboot.

Advice / help appreciated (other buy another obviously )

Tia

Jon_C-Pal 17-05-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 12999297)
Hi

I have an iPhone 5s. My beautiful wife dropped it on the drive a few months ago and put a nice crack in the screen near the bottom of the phone. Suddenly the reset button at the bottom is not working so to change modes I have to turn the fecker off and reboot.

Advice / help appreciated (other buy another obviously )

Tia

You mean the home button doesn't work? If you go to settings, General, Accessibility then scroll down to Assistive Touch and switch it on you will have a little transparent home button on your screen that you will be able to use on every page you open. Hope that helps.

Worksop Palace 17-05-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_C-Pal (Post 12999314)
You mean the home button doesn't work? If you go to settings, General, Accessibility then scroll down to Assistive Touch and switch it on you will have a little transparent home button on your screen that you will be able to use on every page you open. Hope that helps.

You, my friend, are a star

Thanks

Jon_C-Pal 17-05-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 12999321)
You, my friend, are a star

Thanks

No problems :p

Away 01-06-2016 09:19 PM

I just popped into Carphone Warehouse to see about an upgrade. I don't want to humiliate myself, but essentially I am looking at moving from a 3G to a 4G iPhone. The sales assistant calculated that I would need about three times the data I currently use. She did say that data was hard for people to understand and drew a nice graph of text (say 100mb), photo (say 500mb) and video etc etc. Well I am a bit of an old person and her explanation did seem to suggest that one of us was as mad as a snake because it looked like with 1GB data plan I'd be able to watch one video a month.

Anyway, the bottom line question is - does a 4G phone actually consume more data across all its functions? Does it maybe use more data to poll transmitters (seems plausible, but would have thought we were talking a couple of kb here)? Does it use more data in background? Or is it just if you put more cakes in front of people, they will eat more cake. Or is it entirely down to people speed testing their new 4G service?

Incidentally from the data settings page we worked out that I'd used an average of 140MB a month over 30 months, though I'd say more recently it's been more like 250MB.

Away 01-06-2016 09:26 PM

Also, does anyone know whether EE will push you up a tariff on request if you keep running out of data. CW said not, but I found something on the EE website that says they would. That said, the tariffs EE advertise are less generous than the ones CW advertise so maybe you'd have to jump a couple of 'native' EE tariffs to get the extra.

Otherwise it's these 'add-ons' ... the prices of which I can't seem to find.

Woosie 01-06-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Away (Post 13027254)
I just popped into Carphone Warehouse to see about an upgrade. I don't want to humiliate myself, but essentially I am looking at moving from a 3G to a 4G iPhone. The sales assistant calculated that I would need about three times the data I currently use. She did say that data was hard for people to understand and drew a nice graph of text (say 100mb), photo (say 500mb) and video etc etc. Well I am a bit of an old person and her explanation did seem to suggest that one of us was as mad as a snake because it looked like with 1GB data plan I'd be able to watch one video a month.

Anyway, the bottom line question is - does a 4G phone actually consume more data across all its functions? Does it maybe use more data to poll transmitters (seems plausible, but would have thought we were talking a couple of kb here)? Does it use more data in background? Or is it just if you put more cakes in front of people, they will eat more cake. Or is it entirely down to people speed testing their new 4G service?

Incidentally from the data settings page we worked out that I'd used an average of 140MB a month over 30 months, though I'd say more recently it's been more like 250MB.

If you put more cakes in front of people they will eat more cake.

What do you use your data for - and do you use it when you could be using Wi-Fi?

From the info you've given, I'd say 1GB of data a month would be plenty.

An extra 1GB of data a month on EE is 2.99 http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefit...gb-data-bundle

Have you got the EE app? If not, download it and sign in etc and it will tell you how much data you've used each month which will be more accurate than you actual phone's calculations.

They won't give you extra data every month by itself I don't think, you'd have to increase your tariff to include additional minutes and/or texts too.

Away 01-06-2016 09:55 PM

Thanks Woosie. I'm on Orange at the moment and deciding on an EE upgrade. And really I want to get away with a 500MB plan. I don't mind going over occasionally. I do tend to have wifi at home and work and use data pretty minimally except on special occasions where i really need it.

EE help chat is telling me the add-on tariffs are 6 – 500 MB, 10 – 1GB and 15 – 2GB and valid for 30 days.

I'm asking right now about 'bundles'

EE help on the website is atrocious. You just go round in circles.

Away 01-06-2016 09:59 PM

EE's answer to what is the 2.99 bundle:

"It might be for contract deal and you can ask us to remove this Bundle by giving us 30 days’ notice."

Errr ... thanks.

Heb 7:4 01-06-2016 10:14 PM

My Dad has a 4g iPhone with a 500mb a month package. Don't think he's ever gone over.

I use between 3gb and 4gb a month. Just depends what you use your phone for.

Seba 23-06-2016 12:15 PM

Anyone else having trouble with Google Maps recently? It seems to forget the route I have requested if I don't go back into the app within a certain about of time.

Not sure what is causing this, some kind of app background refresh or something. Any ideas?

cpfc4evandeva 23-06-2016 01:50 PM

My Google Maps keeps crashing at the moment, but I've not updated to the new iOS yet.

Dave 23-06-2016 03:27 PM

apple maps > Google maps

Seba 23-06-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 13064781)
apple maps > Google maps

Yeah, I love how Apple Maps doesn't show the town's name you want even when you are zooming in on it. Brilliant.