CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

art malice 09-08-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyAG (Post 16580033)
My elderly mother is very adept with an an Acme Thunderer!

:eek:

Gooders 11-08-2022 11:52 AM

National Highways website.

What is the point of putting up lists of overnight roadworks and road closures if they're all wrong?

Journey to Stansted overnight frustrated at every turn. Two junctions on the M25 closed, including the M11 exit - not listed.

Slip road closure from M25 to M4 was listed so ok, on the way back I'll go via the M40 and A404. Get to the A404 - slip road closed - not listed. 30 mile detour.

Why does nothing in this ******* country work anymore? :rolleyes:

Maz 11-08-2022 01:50 PM

It is apparently all the fault of baby boomers…

Martin H 11-08-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16584198)

In today's times and with so many discriminations being outed, isn't it wonderful that folk have found a new way to discriminate and then blame that group for everything based on...... (wait for it) ........ their date of birth. Straight out of a Monty Python sketch and yet there are people who are seriously blaming them for all their woes. Not sure if it's just me, but I find it genuinely worrying. Global pendemics look like a breeze in comparison.

Gooders 11-08-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16584198)

Entertainment during the journey was, however, laid on by the people that operate the matrix signs with little gems like "20 40 70 40" above the 4 lanes, "slow down - accident" on the M25 in Hertfordshire when it's 3.30am and I'm literally the only person on the road and my personal favourite "Fog Fog Fog Fog".

I expect it helps the night shift to pass the time. :wallbash:

PeterH 11-08-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooders (Post 16583980)

From afar, I would add in the train works. Maybe 15 years back, there seemed to be a tacit agreement that a lot of the rail system would be closed on weekends for essential mantenance work. And on the BBS, and in my Palace wassup group, I hear the dreaded words 'bus replacement service'.

Yes, we get the idea of an aged/ageing infrastructure. But it is scheduled for things like Cup Semi Final weekend.

What I don't get is that on here people not only seem to accept the inconvenience, but also actively argue in favour of it.

To make matters worse people are paying, or at least getting quoted, extraordinary amounts of money to travel on an increasingly worsening service - running into hundred of pounds. I can quote several recent examples. I have a student travelling to the UK for some IoD training. She wanted to visit Edinburgh from London. The return fare best deal was over 300 quid. Little Al recently looked to visit his family from Aberdeen and the return train was 600 quid, instead he booked a weeks holiday in the med - flight and accommodation for less money. And a Palace fan just looked into travelling from Harrogate to Oxford, albeit with 4 changes, and was quoted 147 quid for a single ticket.

Maz jokingly said on the other thread about me (us/everyone) thinking things were always better in the past. Yep, we can all look at 3 day weeks, power cuts and the Winter of Discontent, and swap knowing glances with each other. But, COME ON, 12 notes for a pack of fags, 28 quid for a couple of poncy G&Ts, utility bills where just the proposed increase is equalñ to your spending money budget for the month, transport costs that absoulety negate the benefit of a 30 quid cap for away fans tickets, a 5 quid charge just to drop off and pick someone up from the airport, ane even a 50 quid surcharge if you want to make your season ticket transferrable to friends and family.

WTF has gone wrong here.

Adlerhorst 11-08-2022 02:42 PM

£12? It’s usually more like £14 or £15 and and at Heathrow it is twenty for a packet of cigarettes from the WH Smiths before security.

Under €6 in Rome.

olly cromwell 11-08-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooders (Post 16583980)
National Highways website.

What is the point of putting up lists of overnight roadworks and road closures if they're all wrong?

Journey to Stansted overnight frustrated at every turn. Two junctions on the M25 closed, including the M11 exit - not listed.

Slip road closure from M25 to M4 was listed so ok, on the way back I'll go via the M40 and A404. Get to the A404 - slip road closed - not listed. 30 mile detour.

just download waze on your phone, much easier than moaning on here

Gooders 11-08-2022 04:12 PM

I think you've missed the point. Where do you think "waze" gets its info from?

olly cromwell 11-08-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooders (Post 16584391)
I think you've missed the point. Where do you think "waze" gets its info from?

A lot of it comes from other wazers but I get your point with the overnight info that can be pretty annoying along with the overnight closures

Walter Wort 11-08-2022 07:30 PM

Newspapers that show a time-lapse photo of star trails to accompany an article about a meteor shower.

Reps AJ 11-08-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Wort (Post 16584600)
Newspapers that show a time-lapse photo of star trails to accompany an article about a meteor shower.

Nice, this is what this thread should be about :p

JimmyAG 11-08-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Wort (Post 16584600)

Exactly, we don't tolerate illusions of stardom on here :p

Lama 11-08-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16584272)

WTF has gone wrong here.

What an important question.

Back in the 70s there were fears that if unemployment hit 3 million there would be serious civil disturbances. Well - it did and there no riots.

30 months ago Messrs Whiity and Vallance explained that they delayed lockdown because they judged that the country would only have taken 3 weeks - and so they couldn't launch it too early. Well - we took a lot more than 3 weeks and I think that a majority would have accepted even more - if that was the order.

The country seems to have become very - supine. Is that overstating it? We seem to just do as we're told and accept everything because we believe there is no other option.

I think it was Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail (I know - I'm sorry) who wrote a jokey article about how he'd be able to boss everyone about and tell them what to do, and all that he needed to get this power was to wear a hi-vis jacket.

We are seeing an erosion of civil liberties, an encroaching Big Brother state, the transfer of more wealth to the richest, the wrecking of the economy, the evolution of a political class who are liars, millions of people who in this advanced hi-tech society earn just about enough to pay their bills - and yet the thing that agitates the public more than anything else was Johnson having a slice of Birthday cake.

WTF has gone wrong here ?

Stavros 69 11-08-2022 08:13 PM

People who insist a cauliflower steak is nicer than a real one.

Sidney Kickit 11-08-2022 08:21 PM

Text feedback surveys.

All I did was notify a new address and get a torrent of feedback surveys asking 'how did we do ?' and if I'd recommend XXXXXX based on my interaction today

NOOOO FRO

Reps AJ 11-08-2022 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16584272)

WTF has gone wrong here.

Expats.

Things were better before they left so I can only conclude they're the problem.

Little Fozzie 11-08-2022 09:17 PM

People leaving their shitty little yappy dogs barking outside endlessly on a nice summer evening.

Alfies army 11-08-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 16584716)
People leaving their shitty little yappy dogs barking outside endlessly on a nice summer evening.

Twat

Stavros 69 11-08-2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 16584716)

With you on that one.
Trying to relax after work with yapping dogs all night.