CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   IPhone/IPod Touch Application Recommendations (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177843)

James 09-02-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T
It's not. Hence the word 'alternative' in my post!

It's no help to you, I know, but I am so glad I grabbed myrail lite when it was still available. It's still working - it was invaluable a couple of days ago when I needed to be in London for a meeting, and was running late. I thought I had missed the 9:00am train - but myrail showed that it had been delayed by 10 minutes, so I dashed to the platform and just caught it. I wouldn't have bothered without this information and would have had to wait 45 minutes for the next train.

I hope that myrail comes back in some form for those who haven't got it.

wickham_eagle 09-02-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T
It's not. Hence the word 'alternative' in my post!

found a similar one which is free called irail european rail timetables does similar to Myrail and will give you basic train times info

Anonymous 15-02-2009 03:48 PM

A few more for you - spent last last day and a half running over a few apps :)

Scratch Plus for the DJ's amongst is us pretty cool. I could imagine using this alongside decks at a club to add an extra dimension.

Just been hooked on Fieldrunners for the last 2 hours! Tower defence clone but great - controls work just fine.

Real Soccer 09 is a pretty good Fifa clone.

iWik - a wikipedia thing

Newsstand - nice looking RSS aggregator with funky reader.

Dave 15-02-2009 04:42 PM

Isn't an rss reader without offline support pointless?

Anonymous 15-02-2009 05:19 PM

well, there was a good on on the Palm a few years back that supported offline support - thought it was called avantgo. But seeing as I'll mostly get *some* sort of signal on this phone I should imaginge, it's no biggy.

Dave 15-02-2009 05:27 PM

It must be my cold, I don't understand. You could just go to the real website if you have an internet connection.

Anonymous 15-02-2009 05:59 PM

i have found it quicker/convenient in the past - my N95 was crap for inernet, and the BB ain't much better.

Heb 7:4 15-02-2009 06:23 PM

I've just discovered an App for my windows mobile phone called comic book reader. I know this is the iPhone thread, but am enjoying reading sandman/batman on my phone so thought I'd suggest it to those that hadn't considered using their iPhones to do this! Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

Anyway, this appears to be the iPhone app that does the same :)

http://iphonecomicbookreader.com/

Anonymous 15-02-2009 06:38 PM

just been reading about Apple iPhone Killswitch. Apparently there is a line of code that can use to delete apps from your iPhone. This may affect those of you in the future who are using the MyRail application if they chose to delete it.

If you have a jailbroken phone you can disable this killswitch using an app called Bossprefs, that also does other stuff too.

Kevin T 15-02-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
None of the news apps make sense to me - why wouldn't you just use a bookmark to Itn or BBC?

It's easier on the eye and less hassle. No sodding about turning your phone on the side, stretching the screen in and out to get the right link. If you just want the latest headlines at a glance, it's cool.

You could say the same about the iFooty app. All the info is available elsewhere on the web, but if you just want a snap shot of the latest Palace news, in match text commentary and previous results, it's just easier.

jonesy101 25-02-2009 04:49 PM

Getting my itouch tommorow! Do most apps cost?

Highbury Eagle 25-02-2009 05:02 PM

I wish beerintheevening would do an app that tells you the nearest pub and details of it. That would be fab.

Jimbo number 5 25-02-2009 05:23 PM

can you play music while playing any of these games?

Conger 25-02-2009 05:23 PM

WordJong - totally addictive and can't stop playing it - hours of my life wasted.... :-(

Anonymous 25-02-2009 06:18 PM

Have I recommended FriendSync yet? syncs your phone contacts with your facebook friends and adds all the pics from their profiles. Their pictures then pop up when they call you - very cool, and at £0.59, a bargain.

Conger 25-02-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesy101

SOme do, some don't. A lot of the good ones are free and a lot of the paid ones are not that good. Best bet is to read threads like this one or similar on other forums.

If you just can't wait til tomorrow why not download the latest iTunes now - you can browse the iTunes store and look at the different apps and the reviews on there

Mal Adjusted 25-02-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesy101

Me too. Let's keep in touch and share our experiences.

Have you thought of a name for yours yet?

Dave 25-02-2009 10:25 PM

Mal with an iphone means the iphone has nuked the fridge

Mal Adjusted 25-02-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Mal with an iphone means the iphone has nuked the fridge

it also means that this forum will no longer be a Mal Free Zone.

Now - about the Iraq war.

jolly 26-02-2009 07:11 AM

Right i have jail broken my phone 4 times now and it has failed after varrying ammounts of time now it wont work at all i am getting fed up of having to do full syten restores on it i will give up unless anyone has any good ideas ?