CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transfer Hotline (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Discussion: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283115)

Dobbo 15-03-2021 11:38 AM

Seem to recall A M-N was very unimpressive for Arsenal against us two months ago and got hooked after an hour.

Martin H 07-04-2021 05:08 PM

A while back I was quite keen on this guy. young, well schooled, versatile and has good pace. Difficult not to like the thought of him leaving Arsenal because he can't get regular starts and maybe build a career at Palace. I have seen him a few times now for WBA and not been overly impressed. I had expected more but when you think about it Arsenal are 2 places above us and he can't get into their side after oodles of chances in various positions. He is ranked 11th at WBA by whoscored (caveat caveat) at a team that is to be relegated. So should I be so surprised? Probably not.

So I am a bit on the fence about him now and TBH if pushed today it would be 'a no from me Bob'.

glaziers fan 07-04-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15734044)
A while back I was quite keen on this guy. young, well schooled, versatile and has good pace. Difficult not to like the thought of him leaving Arsenal because he can't get regular starts and maybe build a career at Palace. I have seen him a few times now for WBA and not been overly impressed. I had expected more but when you think about it Arsenal are 2 places above us and he can't get into their side after oodles of chances in various positions. He is ranked 11th at WBA by whoscored (caveat caveat) at a team that is to be relegated. So should I be so surprised? Probably not.

So I am a bit on the fence about him now and TBH if pushed today it would be 'a no from me Bob'.

I wouldn't want him at left wing back (where he played mainly for Arsenal) or centre mid (where he plays for West brom). He couldn't fail to be a massive upgrade on all our right backs apart from AWB since promotion.

CpfcLoz 08-04-2021 07:38 AM

over rated shite, same as willock, nketiah and nelson. but because the come through arsenal's academy pundits have a wank fest!

BillyTKid 08-04-2021 07:41 AM

I think he is a good player. Will have a solid, consistent career as a premier league player. Still only 23 and can play both full backs or anywhere across midfield. If we could get him for the right price (perhaps around 15m) I would be pleased to see us in for him.

LuieJack 08-04-2021 08:42 AM

He is very much a utility player rather than a specialist in One particular position which i feel is what we need currently and would prefer personally, however his versatility normally would be useful to have in the squad and in his defence aged 23 and an England squad player with Arsenal probably asking around the 15m plus mark, is that an excessive fee? possibly not. Could we do better, but as his performances at WBA so far has not been stand out or inspired me, and for me the same criticism can be directed at Gallager but from all accounts we still seem very keen on.
If we are to raid WBA in the summer then for me there is One who has been their stand out player and someone who i have been singing his praises for months and that player is Pereira, he would be a perfect fit for our midfield alongside Eze and also add Lewis Cook as the anchor, and play Wilf Zaha in the "free" role they really would give our midfield guile and movement also a goal threat which would make a change.
Also worth a punt from WBA would be Kyle Bartley a player i have rated since his early days at Arsenal, especially now on a free ok all be it he is 29 but can be our rock at the back if played alongside either Tomkins or Kouyate or Cahill.

Tim 08-04-2021 09:38 AM

Another over-rated young English player that can’t get into a struggling Arsenal team. I’d take Saka or Smith-Rowe otherwise, no thanks.

glaziers fan 08-04-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CpfcLoz (Post 15734476)
over rated shite, same as willock, nketiah and nelson. but because the come through arsenal's academy pundits have a wank fest!

Hes been capped for England, and man of the match vs Man City in the FA cup. There must be some talent there, surely?

Hes a utility player but I think he has a specialist position: right wing back (perhaps right wing in a 4). Hes quick, but not good enough attacking-wise to play in a front 3. Probably not quite good enough to play right back in a back 4. Has been tried in centre mid because he has pace and can tackle a bit. Reminds me of Schlupp, but right footed and technically better.

glaziers fan 08-04-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15734526)
He is very much a utility player rather than a specialist in One particular position which i feel is what we need currently and would prefer personally, however his versatility normally would be useful to have in the squad and in his defence aged 23 and an England squad player with Arsenal probably asking around the 15m plus mark, is that an excessive fee? possibly not. Could we do better, but as his performances at WBA so far has not been stand out or inspired me, and for me the same criticism can be directed at Gallager but from all accounts we still seem very keen on.
If we are to raid WBA in the summer then for me there is One who has been their stand out player and someone who i have been singing his praises for months and that player is Pereira, he would be a perfect fit for our midfield alongside Eze and also add Lewis Cook as the anchor, and play Wilf Zaha in the "free" role they really would give our midfield guile and movement also a goal threat which would make a change.
Also worth a punt from WBA would be Kyle Bartley a player i have rated since his early days at Arsenal, especially now on a free ok all be it he is 29 but can be our rock at the back if played alongside either Tomkins or Kouyate or Cahill.

I’d happily take AMN, Gallagher, Bartley and Pereira. Quite like Furlong too.

glaziers fan 08-04-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 15734556)
Another over-rated young English player that cant get into a struggling Arsenal team. Id take Saka or Smith-Rowe otherwise, no thanks.

Because if they are not in the Arsenal first team, under a rookie manager, they must be useless? Id take Nketiah who has an excellent goals record for England u21s. And Reiss Nelson who did well with a top German club.

exiledeagle 08-04-2021 11:16 AM

Just not seen anything that special in him . He will probably want high wages and Arsenal would want 20m ?

CpfcLoz 08-04-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15734526)
He is very much a utility player rather than a specialist in One particular position which i feel is what we need currently and would prefer personally, however his versatility normally would be useful to have in the squad and in his defence aged 23 and an England squad player with Arsenal probably asking around the 15m plus mark, is that an excessive fee? possibly not. Could we do better, but as his performances at WBA so far has not been stand out or inspired me, and for me the same criticism can be directed at Gallager but from all accounts we still seem very keen on.
If we are to raid WBA in the summer then for me there is One who has been their stand out player and someone who i have been singing his praises for months and that player is Pereira, he would be a perfect fit for our midfield alongside Eze and also add Lewis Cook as the anchor, and play Wilf Zaha in the "free" role they really would give our midfield guile and movement also a goal threat which would make a change.
Also worth a punt from WBA would be Kyle Bartley a player i have rated since his early days at Arsenal, especially now on a free ok all be it he is 29 but can be our rock at the back if played alongside either Tomkins or Kouyate or Cahill.

lewis cook is a very good player, think hes done his ACL though. so will be out for a while!

CpfcLoz 08-04-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15734596)
Id happily take AMN, Gallagher, Bartley and Pereira. Quite like Furlong too.

id take pereira and yokuslu.the rest are pretty average. gallagher shows promise though, but starting in the prem every week, not sure.

Tim 08-04-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15734598)
Because if they are not in the Arsenal first team, under a rookie manager, they must be useless? Id take Nketiah who has an excellent goals record for England u21s. And Reiss Nelson who did well with a top German club.

Dont know where you got useless from? We need to move on from nurturing Chelsea & Arsenal rejects. Saka & Smith-Rowe would be like Julian Gray & Tommy Black all over again..

Stavros 69 08-04-2021 11:58 AM

Again for the right price but a lot of these players have big club attitudes.
Living off past glory.
I’d much rather go out to lower leagues or Europe and get the young and hungry players with something to prove and who’s expectations are lower.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-04-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 15734684)
Dont know where you got useless from? We need to move on from nurturing Chelsea & Arsenal rejects. Saka & Smith-Rowe would be like Julian Gray & Tommy Black all over again..

Neither of those two were particularly bad signings. Black was inconsistent but still contributed to a promotion to the PL and Gray played a significant role in that achievement too.

Jim Cannon 08-04-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15734589)
Hes been capped for England, and man of the match vs Man City in the FA cup. There must be some talent there, surely?

Sorry but the England cap means nothing, if he had come through the ranks of Palace/West Brom/Fulham/Brighton etc he would never have got a call up. That is just big club bias, he has done nowhere near enough to deserve it IMO

LuieJack 08-04-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15734596)
Id happily take AMN, Gallagher, Bartley and Pereira. Quite like Furlong too.

I have based my choices that was chosen to improve the squad on what i feel we need to get a better balance also to upgrade our midfield.
As for Maitland-Niles he is a good player and would add quality to our squad without question, but as you say and i agree his most effective position is RB or RWB but we are well stocked there with Ward and Clyne who we should keep and we still have not seen Ferguson play, and his fee would most likely be 15-20m which can be used elsewhere. I also like Furlong and was surprised we did not step in whilst he was at QPR, but plays in a position we are well stocked in.
As for Connor Gallager he is a player i have liked and a player i wanted last summer, but has not stood out in an average WBA side and still needs to gain further experience so maybe on a seasons loan is an option, also Chelsea will most likely want 20m plus i would look at this guy, and my views on Pereira are well known as i rate him very highly and he would make an excellent AM for us as i mentioned in a midfield of Lewis Cook only if fully recovered from his serious injury (real pity) with Pereira, Eze and Wilf Zaha in a free wandering wide role. And Bartley would add real steel to our Central Defence would make a great free signing.

LuieJack 08-04-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CpfcLoz (Post 15734676)
lewis cook is a very good player, think hes done his ACL though. so will be out for a while!

I agree Lewis Cook would be a massive gamble now as unfortunately this was his 2nd ACL, how unlucky can you be? he would have been the perfect player for the Luka role in a new Midfield setup. May be a very good alternative would be to bring in Jonjo Shelvey who may not be a favorite on here but is a damn good player.

desperado 08-04-2021 04:02 PM

If Ainsley Maitland-Niles had come through the Palace academy the usual suspects on here would be saying he was "entitled" to start every Premier League game

If Ainsley Harriott had come through the academy they would be saying the same about him


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.