CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Computer couldn't complete updates (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282897)

Shoreditch CPFC 11-11-2020 09:51 AM

Computer couldn't complete updates

******* thing has been doing this for months. It goes through the cycle and fails regularly. I've tried running the troubleshooter which didn't help. Some of the online suggestions seemed to have a completely different set of menus and options to me. It's just Windows 10. Any ideas please?

Joe85 11-11-2020 10:17 AM

Try installing the updates individually.

Shoreditch CPFC 11-11-2020 10:39 AM

Thanks I'll try and figure out how to do that and revert

Scrumpy 11-11-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 15498973)
Try installing the updates individually.

I don't think you can pick and choose updates. At least not in Windows 10. That option was removed. I think you have to take all updates available and go through the automatic install process.

I think you can only "pause" updates for a max of 35 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreditch CPFC (Post 15498988)
Thanks I'll try and figure out how to do that and revert

Maybe try the fixes in this article.

Joe85 11-11-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrumpy (Post 15499098)
I don't think you can pick and choose updates. At least not in Windows 10. That option was removed. I think you have to take all updates available and go through the automatic install process.

Good point. There is a way round it though.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-6d0c92b60b60

LN1 11-11-2020 02:55 PM

I had this last year when a major update hung and I could not update anything for for a large part of that year. I tried everything in google including treying to roll back updates or system restore also registry edits to clear the updates, Nothing worked do I just decided it was time for a refresh, saved all my work and collected passwords and serial numbers of my paid for programs a went for a re-install. This can be done from within Windows and leaves you at a point where you have fresh install of Windows but without most of the grief of loading a copy onto a new machine as quite a few settings were saved. Solved the update issue and the PC flies. I now tend to keep a leaner machine and probably do this again in the future just to clear junk or corrupt OS files.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 12-11-2020 01:40 AM

Google the code that it displays.

Shoreditch CPFC 12-11-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrumpy (Post 15499098)

Thanks. This is ******* painful. I thought a few of these had worked but to no avail. Option 6 downloaded an updated version of windows direct from Microsoft. All looked fine, took forever to install and then when the pc rebooted it said couldn't install updates again and it was all undone. Option 7 actually worked a bit where you can download individual updates if you have the KB number but some of the failed updates don't have them (current one just says Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909).

It looks like there is an option to reinstall windows and keep your files intact. Can I really be confident that I won't lose files if I do this?

Shoreditch CPFC 12-11-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 15499498)
Google the code that it displays.

it just says windows failed to install the updates.

chateauferret 12-11-2020 12:16 PM

Back everything up and reinstall Windoze. Even if it says it won't destroy your data, back everything up that you want to keep because if it goes Pete Tong half way through you may end with a goosed filesystem and have to start over anyway.

Shoreditch CPFC 12-11-2020 03:59 PM

**** me I only managed it eventually. It was a combination of a few things. I downloaded the updated windows version with the external link and then turned my firewall off and installed with the internet off. Since then the updates have worked and I'm up to date. I've lost so much time, but at least the ****** is working now. Thanks for the help.

Hedgehog 12-11-2020 04:15 PM

When I turned on my PC this morning I could not wake the PIN entry screen. Eventually I turned the computer off manually and then back on.

It went into this whole updating Windows routine, which took at least 20 minutes. I had fears I was going to encounter the same problems as the thread starter.

Got through it OK, but I hate the fact it does these updates without asking. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that gives you the option to be asked first.

For all its faults, at least Apple only updates its iOS when you give it the OK to do so.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 12-11-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500024)
When I turned on my PC this morning I could not wake the PIN entry screen. Eventually I turned the computer off manually and then back on.

It went into this whole updating Windows routine, which took at least 20 minutes. I had fears I was going to encounter the same problems as the thread starter.

Got through it OK, but I hate the fact it does these updates without asking. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that gives you the option to be asked first.

For all its faults, at least Apple only updates its iOS when you give it the OK to do so.

I can only read that as if it is a haiku.

Hedgehog 12-11-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 15500364)
I can only read that as if it is a haiku.

I have poetic license...

chateauferret 13-11-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15500366)
I have poetic license...

Windows is garbage,
slow, bloated, and expensive:
Use Linux instead.

Hedgehog 13-11-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15500597)
Windows is garbage,
Use Linux instead.

:p

Timbo 13-11-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15500597)
Windows is garbage,
Use Linux instead.

Easier said than done, even for those with a modicum of computer knowledge

FORZA SELHURST 13-11-2020 08:57 PM

Fierce morning rising
Start>Settings>WindowsUpdate
Cherry bollocks

speagle 14-11-2020 01:25 PM

I use clonezilla to take an image of my hard disk once in a while. If you get into a state you zap it back to what it was previously.

strongly advise taking additional copies of data before doing anything though. don't just rely on clonezilla in case it fails in some way.

Oldtown Eagle 07-04-2021 05:54 PM

After Windows 10 update, my pc keeps presenting a black screen, sometimes for a few seconds or up to a min. I have tried various key combinations and restarting per google suggestions, nothing works. Connected over wifi not lead. Help please.