CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990/91 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282360)

Bipe 24-09-2020 07:52 PM

Thanks colonel. I have to confess I'm still struggling to recall it but it certainly ticks all the boxes of that era - Soul II Soul style drum loop, pounding house piano, anthemic chorus etc.

colonel 24-09-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15423228)
Thanks colonel. I have to confess I'm still struggling to recall it but it certainly ticks all the boxes of that era - Soul II Soul style drum loop, pounding house piano, anthemic chorus etc.

As a devotee of the Now albums it was on Now 18 I believe and as you say was very much of its time.

bubbs11 26-09-2020 09:15 AM

Another newspaper report from the Southend game. Wrighty is literally in awe of his future MOTD colleague, and also another example at the start of terms that have since left the mainstream media.

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/9AA0068B...AE62B9A.md.jpg

Bipe 26-09-2020 10:04 AM

Interesting, I don't recall Steve Bull ever being considered as first choice alongside Lineker!

N Herts Eagle 26-09-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15425534)
Interesting, I don't recall Steve Bull ever being considered as first choice alongside Lineker!

Lead up to Italia 90 Bull was pretty much playing every game. In Italia 90 he played 4 games but three were sub appearences. The other forward was Peter Beardsley. Bull played in the October game post Italia 90 but was then dropped by Taylor. Ian Wright played I think in the February game against Cameroon.

salad fan club 26-09-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15362466)
I thought it might be a bit of fun for old farts like to me to take an extended walk down memory lane and reminisce about the seminal 1990/91 season game by game. Alternatively this could die on its arse if no-one is interested but let’s see. The theory is that I will post up a brief summary of each game a day or two before the 30th anniversary date (hard to believe it’s all 30 years ago), and see what reminiscences people have.

Brief context – this was easily the most successful season in the club’s history with a comfortable third place finish and we were in with a realistic shout of winning the bloody thing until a tonking at the hands of eventual champions Arsenal in late February (spoiler alert). We also won the ZDS Trophy, admittedly something of a Mickey Mouse competition but still fantastic to see us winning at Wembley a year after the FA Cup final heartbreak. 1990/91 was certainly the ‘Zenith’ for this team which Steve Coppell had assembled, a collection of cast-offs and lower league bargains alongide a few astute bigger money signings to strengthen in key areas. From memory, we had brought in three players over the summer. John Humphrey came in at right back to replace the popular John Pemberton, who was shunted off to Sheffield United. Eric Young (or ‘Eric Old’ as some Palace fans labelled the 30 year old) arrived to partner his old Wimbledon mate Andy Thorn in the heart of the defence. And another Wimbledon old boy Glyn Hodges was signed to add some creative flair (or so we thought).

From a personal perspective I had turned 18 in the few days between the FA Cup final first game and replay, and after having spent the early part of the summer immersing myself in Italia 90 and the Madchester vibe, I started my first proper job at the beginning of August in the AMP building adjacent to East Croydon station. So the world was my oyster with proper money in my pocket for the first time.

On we go to the first game then, which was on 25 August 1990 away to Luton Town. Again hard to believe now, but Luton were considered a reasonably established top flight outfit then, having gained promotion under David Pleat in the early 80s and stayed put. They’d even won the League Cup in 1988. The game was played in front of a pathetic crowd of 9,583, caused by the ban on away fans which Luton’s extremist right-winger chairman David Evans had imposed. A number of Palace fans did thought infiltrate the stadium, as could be seen when the goals were shown on TV.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw, our goal coming from debutant Eric Young (from memory, a towering header from a corner??). This was deemed a satisfactory result in our opening game as we looked to build on our 15th place finish (out of 22) in the previous season.

Over to you – what memories of this game, and what were your thoughts and feelings as the new season got underway?

Just seen this what a great idea. We went to every game that year although As my memory is poor I don’t remember much. I do remember going to Luton. I used a friends address in HertfordShire to get the tickets, there were a few Palace in there.Hopefully this thread will remind me of our greatest season :lux:

Latvian Eagle 26-09-2020 10:58 AM

Can only dream of us wiping the floor with teams 7 or 8 - 0 these days. Can't remember the last time that happened. Last one that pops into my head was Doncaster 7-1 I think but not sure if any others since then.

ElwissAtMemphis 26-09-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15425568)
Ian Wright played I think in the February game against Cameroon.

He did indeed. And his dream came true, making his England debut alongside Gary Lineker. In his 2 other starts for England as a Palace player he partnered Alan Smith against USSR in May 1991 and Brian Deane against New Zealand in June 1991. They were all friendlies.

The only other time he partnered Lineker was as a substitute away to Hungary in May 1992 by which point he was at Arsenal.

bubbs11 29-09-2020 06:22 AM

On to Derby away.

On this very day 30 years ago, we travelled to the Baseball Ground, winning 2-0 and extending our unbeaten run from that start of the season to seven. Fourth in the table but level on points with second placed Arsenal. It was already feeling like a season like no other.

DERBY 0
PALACE 2 Wright. Bright

Att: 15,202

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Hodges (for Thorn) Thompson (not used)

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/7526D05A...76EF31D.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/02174FB0...705B2E1.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/896AA959...41EFC69.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/8C112F2C...B4FD4BB.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/8A2E93F5...36DA12F.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/6BD4AA64...95459A9.md.jpg

Bipe 29-09-2020 08:15 AM

Thanks Bubbs, I had been somewhat distracted by work issues over the past couple of days so a bit late with the Derby game.

They had been promoted to the top flight a couple of seasons before us but with a quite different strategy, choosing to build their side around a bedrock of experienced top flight operators such as Shilton, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders and Mick Harford. This season it backfired spectacularly for them. They had got off to a terrible start with just two points from their opening six games before playing us, and they won only once in their final 23 league games to finish rock bottom on a measly 24 points.

We now had the Wright and Bright double act up and running. Interesting to see the rest of the line up, a by now rare league start for Pardew in midfield (was Gray injured??) and Barber was still getting in with no sign of Salako. As the brief match reports suggests this was another pretty clinical performance. Nice to read Ian Wright's reflections after the game, revealing his hunger to improve as a player.

I remember both goals in this game quite clearly, Wright nudging the ball past the onrushing Shilton for our first and Bright with a typically canny deflected header, as the article says sliding on his knees to make contact.

Looking at the league table, Liverpool were absolutely flying with 7 straight wins whereas their local rivals Everton looked to be in for a long hard season, stuck in the relegation zone at this early stage. Both teams would pop up in pivotal games for us later in the season.

art malice 29-09-2020 08:21 AM

That first Palace report against Derby leaves readers guessing as to who the ‘former England keeper’ is.

Olympian2 29-09-2020 09:04 AM

I was in my final year at Leicester Poly for this season. It was a useful hub to travel to Midlands games such as this one. I'd been to the Baseball Ground the previous season where we went 1-0 up through Pardew but ended up losing 3-1.

I was behind the goal (Upper Tier, I think) where Brighty scored our 2nd. I don't recall Wrighty's first one but yeah, deffo remember Brighty scoring with a near post header for the 2nd.

Happy train journey back to Leicester, probably listening to The Smiths & Pixies on my Walkman.

Latvian Eagle 29-09-2020 09:09 AM

I just remember as a kid the relief at winning, think we lost both Home and Away against Derby the season before?

N Herts Eagle 29-09-2020 09:13 AM

Simple win and the team were looking do good. Fresh off the win against Southend the firward line of Wright and Bright were now scoring in the league. The issues were small the main disapointment was Hodges who looked anything like fit or suited to the team. Humphrey silenced those missing Pemberton with his unflappable performances. Hodges though was different and having spent big money for us at any rate I for one was wondering why. As its now hindsight this was the Achilles heel of Steve and Ron some great buys Ninja Humphrey Thorn Nigel all successful then the odd failure. This season it did not matter but by next with more money still it starts to bite.
However as it looks the season the results have us flying and life is sweet.

Bipe 29-09-2020 10:20 AM

Shilton was the wrong side of 40 by now and had come in for a fair bit of stick following the World Cup semi final against Germany. Primarily for his inability to take a few steps back and deal with the looping deflection off Paul Parker for the Germans' goal, but many also noted that he dived the right way for every penalty in the shoot out without getting close to saving any one of them. Seemed a bit harsh - they were all very good pens - but I suppose there was an underlying point there about how the old reflexes and reactions start to wane as you move into middle age. I don't think there was much to blame him for in respect of the Wright and Bright goals in this game, although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

In any event, Shilton has recently emerged as something of a crackpot on Twitter with a never ending grudge against Maradona so **** him.

bubbs11 29-09-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15431209)
Shilton was the wrong side of 40 by now and had come in for a fair bit of stick following the World Cup semi final against Germany. Primarily for his inability to take a few steps back and deal with the looping deflection off Paul Parker for the Germans' goal, but many also noted that he dived the right way for every penalty in the shoot out without getting close to saving any one of them. Seemed a bit harsh - they were all very good pens - but I suppose there was an underlying point there about how the old reflexes and reactions start to wane as you move into middle age. I don't think there was much to blame him for in respect of the Wright and Bright goals in this game, although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

In any event, Shilton has recently emerged as something of a crackpot on Twitter with a never ending grudge against Maradona so **** him.

Often wondered after that World Cup semi whether it was a massive oversight by Bobby Robson not to have big Dave Beasant on the bench for the knock out games instead of Chris Woods. Can you imagine Beasant coming on for the penalties? If nothing else it would’ve gave the immaculate penalty taking Germans something to think about.

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15422407)
Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.

Loving this thread for the music as much as the football.

Loved Bassomatic!

Another one to my add to my Alexa 'Pukka' playlist. :p

(Annoyingly my Alexa has been conditioned by a majority of northern accents, so my Hull-born daughters laugh when Alexa says 'Packer' playlist instead of 'Pukka'. Alexa's an idiot)

Others in the Top 20 were Suicide Blonde by INXS if I remember right, plus one by a Dutch DJ/duo called '24/7' although I can't remember the song title. The girl in that act was hot though :love:

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15431209)
although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

I loved Shilts back in the day - him and Platt were my favourite non-Palace players growing up. Was a shame to see him deteriorate having been such a rock in goal for England for over a decade.

The Wright opener in this game was 100% down to Wrighty's pace - pure and simple. Loved that goal - when your hero is using every ounce of energy and beats the keeper to the ball by 1% like that, it is poetry in motion.

Was banged up on the settee this day. I'd tried to look cool jogging across Trafalgar Square the previous night and slipped in pigeon sh1t. Sprained my ankle. :clown: This win at least gave me some relief from the pain!

4 wins, 3 draws after 7 games was dream stuff!

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15431338)
Loving this thread for the music as much as the football.

plus one by a Dutch DJ/duo called '24/7' although I can't remember the song title. The girl in that act was hot though :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYpqe2B2xo

If you wanted to know what 1990 sounded like this is it. Even the rapper calling himself Captain Hollywood just screams this era

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 12:13 PM

Original radio commentaries and reports from the start of this epic season can be heard here.

Coverage of Derby away begins at 10:57

https://soundcloud.com/user-45621062...-match-reports