CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Apple TV (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177975)

James Melody 06-05-2009 09:47 PM

Ridcully 06-05-2009 10:07 PM

xbmc with aeon is the way to go on AppleTV as unfortunately Plex is not supported due to the fact it runs a Tiger derivative rather than Leopard. Plex has basically the interface of xbmc with the plugins of Boxee so its the best of both worlds but only works on OSX Leopard.

Slough Eagle 07-05-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Melody

How do I get this type of theme/skin on the appletv, currently running at default.
What a night I had configuring this this, very easy to install but got the resolution wrong (the screen was black but heard clicks)and reinstalled everything......just to work out all I needed to do was menu/+ :veryangry.
Anyway, how can I get full screen on the XBMC working on AppleTv?

James Melody 07-05-2009 09:12 AM

I don't claim to be an expert on the AppleTV but if you go here you will find lots of advice.

Slough Eagle 07-05-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

I don't claim to be an expert on the AppleTV but if you go here you will find lots of advice.

Cheers James you've been very helpful :) :p.
I tried this last night:
Question: How do I get XBMC to show full screen rather than in windowed mode?

* Answer: Settings -> Appearance -> Screen -> Resolution -> Full Screen
But then the result was the picture now was too big, anyone else had this problem ?

James Melody 07-05-2009 04:26 PM

I know there is a setting on the windows version to set the resolution you display at. My TV is 1080p so I set XBMC to display at 1920x1080

KingsleY 07-05-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slough Eagle
How do I get this type of theme/skin on the appletv, currently running at default.
What a night I had configuring this this, very easy to install but got the resolution wrong (the screen was black but heard clicks)and reinstalled everything......just to work out all I needed to do was menu/+ :veryangry.
Anyway, how can I get full screen on the XBMC working on AppleTv?

Aeon stark will not run very well on the Apple TV at all, you will need the lite version:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49567

And to install the skin:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38747

If that don't get me rep, F U ;)

KingsleY 07-05-2009 08:34 PM

Paul, keep me updated on your success with Apple TV and XBMC.

Finally seems as if I have my network capable of streaming 720p, so plans are to move the PC downstairs and just run Apple TV up here.

Slough Eagle 08-05-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsleY
Paul, keep me updated on your success with Apple TV and XBMC.

Finally seems as if I have my network capable of streaming 720p, so plans are to move the PC downstairs and just run Apple TV up here.

Will do Alex :p
By the way the screen res problems I was having was due to not having the latest Launcher........updated to 3.0 all working in full screen goodness :).

Next thing to fix is the tearing video playback.

KingsleY 08-05-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Will do Alex :p
By the way the screen res problems I was having was due to not having the latest Launcher........updated to 3.0 all working in full screen goodness :).

Next thing to fix is the tearing video playback.

Enable vsync in settings

Slough Eagle 08-05-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Enable vsync in settings

:p will try that tonight, where is the location where I can download aeon for the AppleTv?

James Melody 08-05-2009 03:26 PM

First link above from KingsleY

Slough Eagle 08-05-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

First link above from KingsleY

:), I will let you guys know how it goes over the weekend. Dedicating the whole weekend to this so wifey can use without asking how to use it :D

KingsleY 08-05-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

:), I will let you guys know how it goes over the weekend. Dedicating the whole weekend to this so wifey can use without asking how to use it :D

Once you've got it setup, let me borrow it for a day :D

Slough Eagle 17-05-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Once you've got it setup, let me borrow it for a day :D

Thanks for the help yesterday mate, kind of all setup on Aeon......all I need to do now is to work out how to import my iPhoto library :p

CT_Palace 04-08-2020 02:48 PM

With some new smart TV's having an AppleTV app and Airplay is there any reason to buy an Apple TV unit any longer?

I should add that I am looking to buy a new TV and saw the AppleTV app and Airplay in the specs of a Samsung (IIRC) model.
I have for some time been thinking of getting an AppleTV box too, mainly to cast movies/tv shows downloaded on my Mac to the tv but also tempted by 12 months free subscription of AppleTV that comes with the purchase of any Apple hardware.

1905 04-08-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15335042)
With some new smart TV's having an AppleTV app and Airplay is there any reason to buy an Apple TV unit any longer?

I should add that I am looking to buy a new TV and saw the AppleTV app and Airplay in the specs of a Samsung (IIRC) model.
I have for some time been thinking of getting an AppleTV box too, mainly to cast movies/tv shows downloaded on my Mac to the tv but also tempted by 12 months free subscription of AppleTV that comes with the purchase of any Apple hardware.

Personally i would always use a dedicated Apple TV unit, i just like the speed/way it performs for all the TV apps like BBC iplayer/AppleTV+/Netflix/DK TVapps/IPTV etc - just always allot more snappy/responsive that the apps built into TV's themselves which I find to be pretty laggy/and not well maintained/updated. Also the casting from Ipad etc is useful.

The free 1 year subs of AppleTV+ is a nice addition as well, some great shows we have seen throughout the lockdown :)

CT_Palace 05-08-2020 04:56 PM

Seems an expensive way to get a good interface with the various apps, but I understand where you're coming from. My 8 year old Samsung smart tv (the one to be replaced) is particularly clunky and cannot really be described as "smart".

Anyone else with an AppleTV unit or AppleTV app and Airplay experience?

Adlerhorst 05-08-2020 07:22 PM

I still prefer it it the apps on the TVs. Also prefer it to the fire stick (we have two Apple TVs and one fire stick)

Also I am increasingly surprised with the number of TVs that have issues with iPlayer and the like.

Hedgehog 05-08-2020 07:41 PM

I probably should start a new thread, but anyway... about a month back I signed up for Apple Pay. Never saw a need in the past, but due to the pandemic a lot of places here are using the QR code on receipts to have touch-less pay. Seemed a good time to give it a go.

I've used it twice now, and seems to work great. One thing I've noticed though is that although my bank shows the transaction went through OK and shows as cleared... in the Apple Pay Wallet the transactions still shows as "Pending" some 2 or 3 weeks after the transaction.

Google and Apple help are pretty vague on the subject.

Anyone else seen this or is it just the way it is, i.e. it doesn't update from pending when the transaction cycle is complete.