CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Toxic Selhurst Games (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283689)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 10:23 PM

Toxic Selhurst Games

Gradi thread brought up the occasion of our humiliating 5-0 reverse at home to a resurgent Wimbledon, early on during the Coppell era. (Did he offer to resign after the game?)

One of the most toxic atmospheres I've ever witnessed at Palace. What others also stick in the mind? Off the top of my head I can think of the following

Cantona game
Birmingham fancy dress day
Alan Smith empty season tickets on the pitch bonanza
Probably plenty during the Goldberg era but I can't think of one in particular

Away game memories are permitted (Brighton Boxing Day debacle, Swindon playoff away game, trying to get out of Maine Road after Mark Bright assaulted half their team on the way to a jammy away win, QPR Allen v sign, Villa Park semi replay) and even games where the toxicity had nothing to do with us (anti Fergie demo at Old Trafford).

Fire away

Gregz41 18-03-2021 10:35 PM

Sunderland 4-0 at home, the fan that confronted Delaney and also the end of Joe Ledley as a Palace player.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregz41 (Post 15709024)
Sunderland 4-0 at home, the fan that confronted Delaney and also the end of Joe Ledley as a Palace player.

Yes I guess that would be at the level of the Holloway Fulham game

JJ 18-03-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709018)
Gradi thread brought up the occasion of our humiliating 5-0 reverse at home to a resurgent Wimbledon, early on during the Coppell era. (Did he offer to resign after the game?)

One of the most toxic atmospheres I've ever witnessed at Palace. What others also stick in the mind? Off the top of my head I can think of the following

I remember being so pissed off about everything at that game that for the first and only time since I started going to Palace games I decided I couldn't be bothered to go to the games for the rest of that season, even though there were still a couple of months of the season left.

Losing 0-3 to Carl Leaburn a few years later was nearly as bad.

You mention the Birmingham fancy dress game, but the atmosphere that day among the Palace fans was great, as we still had a chance to get automatic promotion, although Millwall buggered that up for us. Obviously after Ian Wright had scored the first half hattrick (and I seem to recall the result may have relegated Birmingham?) it all kicked off.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709028)
I remember being so pissed off about everything at that game that for the first and only time since I started going to Palace games I decided I couldn't be bothered to go to the games for the rest of that season, even though there were still a couple of months of the season left.

Losing 0-3 to Carl Leaburn a few years later was nearly as bad.

You mention the Birmingham fancy dress game, but the atmosphere that day among the Palace fans was great, as we still had a chance to get automatic promotion, although Millwall buggered that up for us. Obviously after Ian Wright had scored the first half hattrick (and I seem to recall the result may have relegated Birmingham?) it all kicked off.

It wasn't so great when police horses were galloping across the pitch and kids were crying, people holding rags to bleeding faces....!

JJ 18-03-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

games where the toxicity had nothing to do with us (anti Fergie demo at Old Trafford).

A wonderful day out for all of us lucky enough to be there! Two goals from Mark Bright, Andy Thorn making his debut, a recently signed Nigel Martyn in goal, and just a few short weeks after 0-9 at Anfield. I distinctly remember Palace fans starting to chant of "Fergie out!" that the Wankers joined in with. :)

JJ 18-03-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709029)
It wasn't so great when police horses were galloping across the pitch and kids were crying, people holding rags to bleeding faces....!

Yes I know - I was talking about the atmosphere before all that crap kicked off. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 10:45 PM

Starting a *manager* out song for the opposing team was always a guilty pleasure

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709031)
Yes I know - I was talking about the atmosphere before all that crap kicked off. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Was that the game where we received the wrong score line and thought we were going up, or was that a Man City game?

SussexRed&Blue 18-03-2021 10:47 PM

Wolves last home game of the season which we lost 0-2 in the Championship.

Season Tickets thrown on the pitch in disgust and Alan Smith sacked afterwards.

This was before Steve Kember did the great escape in the last 2 games at Portsmouth and Stockport!

Nigel_Scarfer 18-03-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709033)
Was that the game where we received the wrong score line and thought we were going up, or was that a Man City game?

Was Man City the year before. Dont think we thought we were going up, just that we'd got into the Play Offs. Didn't Millwall also **** it up for us that day by losing their last game of the season when already promoted?

Good Shipp 18-03-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

I was convinced we were relegated after that game I seem to recall. Iím sure Iím not alone

EddieEdwards 18-03-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709028)

Millwall didn't actually bugger anything up for us on that particular occasion. Actually they weren't even in the division as they'd been promoted the previous season. We needed Bradford to beat Man City on that day but that ended 1-1 which meant that we couldn't catch Man City.

stinky 18-03-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Best day. Left at half time (I never do it, I hasten to add, before the NOT A REAL FAN lot pile into me) and went back to the Pawsons. Fantastic afternoon ensued.

BERT'S HEAD 18-03-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Shipp (Post 15709044)
I was convinced we were relegated after that game I seem to recall. Iím sure Iím not alone

I remember thinking that the gloating Mackems would regret their gloating and - unusually - I was correct.

SA Eagle 18-03-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Cantona game

Away game memories are permitted (Brighton Boxing Day debacle, Swindon playoff away game, trying to get out of Maine Road after Mark Bright assaulted half their team on the way to a jammy away win, QPR Allen v sign, Villa Park semi replay) and even games where the toxicity had nothing to do with us (anti Fergie demo at Old Trafford).

Fire away

Wtaf?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15709050)
Wtaf?

Slight exaggeration ;)

But Brighty was certainly mixing it up in that game

Louis 18-03-2021 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15709034)
Wolves last home game of the season which we lost 0-2 in the Championship.

Season Tickets thrown on the pitch in disgust and Alan Smith sacked afterwards.

This was before Steve Kember did the great escape in the last 2 games at Portsmouth and Stockport!

Was that the one where "Stand up if you want Smith out" was as its' loudest? Yes, I certainly remember that one. Toxic against the manager, but actually unifying among fans, because the vast majority had had enough of him. As it was the last home game of the season, throwing season tickets away actually meant nothing, but the sight of large numbers of fans standing and singing the same thing did.

Louis 18-03-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieEdwards (Post 15709046)
Millwall didn't actually bugger anything up for us on that particular occasion. Actually they weren't even in the division as they'd been promoted the previous season. We needed Bradford to beat Man City on that day but that ended 1-1 which meant that we couldn't catch Man City.

I seem to remember it was Man City playing at Millwall. Could be wrong.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

I know that we had some outside chance of something or other at the Brum game which is why we came racing out of the traps, but the Man City link I remember for some reason because it was a rare televised match with Brian Moore doing the commentary

N Herts Eagle 18-03-2021 11:54 PM

One which was probably the most toxic was the F A Cup 2 2 draw against Everton in the early 70s. The referee was saved by Yogi from being attacked by a fan. Tackles assaults might be a better term by Everton one on Jacko in the first half were ignored. The Evening News in its match report suggested the Police were extremely concerned that it could over spill and even thought about having the game called off.

ozzieEagle 19-03-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709059)
One which was probably the most toxic was the F A Cup 2 2 draw against Everton in the early 70s. The referee was saved by Yogi from being attacked by a fan. Tackles assaults might be a better term by Everton one on Jacko in the first half were ignored. The Evening News in its match report suggested the Police were extremely concerned that it could over spill and even thought about having the game called off.

I've talked about this particular game before. It was as far as I'm concerned the closest I've personally seen to a full scale riot at a game. Definitely the angriest Selhurst crowd.

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709059)

Wasn't Alan Whittle one of the main antagonist in that game?

Only to join Palace a few weeks later...

ozzieEagle 19-03-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15709062)

I think the whole Everton team were. Thing is the referee lost control of the game. Yogi (John Hughes) was a huge big beefy player and must have seen red. Anyway he started running with the ball and knocked over at least 3 maybe 4 or even 5 Everton players along the way as he headed straight towards goal which he seemed to determined to run the ball straight into. Ref blew his whistle and sent him straight off. I think it may have been the first card of the game, despite Palace players being floored left right and centre before that Yogi incident. The people running on to have a go at the Ref came from the Old Stand.... that's how fired up people were. The Holmesdale was in total uproar. Lots of people threatening to get on the pitch, not only to attack the ref, but the Everton players as well.

P

N Herts Eagle 19-03-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15709062)

No that was the league game the next season he and Mel were involved. Strange what 20 years latter we and Everton again clashed Keown tackle on Young following the ZDS final the season before.

N Herts Eagle 19-03-2021 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709061)
I've talked about this particular game before. It was as far as I'm concerned the closest I've personally seen to a full scale riot at a game. Definitely the angriest Selhurst crowd.

I would agree think half time helped. I would suggest it would of only needed one more tackle decision for it to errupt.The break took just enough edge off it.

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709065)
No that was the league gane the next season he and Mel were involved.

OK.

I was at both, but they all sort of blend together in my fading memory! :eek:

ozzieEagle 19-03-2021 12:33 AM

I'd love to chat to an Everton supporter or Player that was at that game that day. Bet it's engrained in their memories too.

JJ 19-03-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks, it must have been 1988 when we were relying on Millwall's result then, when we just missed out on the play-offs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709058)
I know that we had some outside chance of something or other at the Brum game which is why we came racing out of the traps, but the Man City link I remember for some reason because it was a rare televised match with Brian Moore doing the commentary

Yes - I think it was something like we had to win by 4 clear goals and hope the other result (which I'm now reliably advised didn't involve Millwall!) went our way in order to get automatic promotion rather than just get into the play-offs. But we ended up finishing 1 point behind Man City who took the 2nd automatic promotion place behind Chelsea.

N Herts Eagle 19-03-2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709068)
I'd love to chat to an Everton supporter or Player that was at that game that day. Bet it's engrained in their memories too.

Its something about Cup games and that era I can list 5 which were interesting

Leeds Chelsea Sunderland in 76 Tooting in 74 or 75 and of course Brighton replay..... Surviving the opposition fans was as interesting as the game.

Watching games of that era how bad were the challenges in the Everton game to get Selhurst so incensed. In todays game many games would of ended up 5 a sude.

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 01:03 AM

January 15th 1972 apparently. 2-2 but won the replay 3-2? (or lost 3-2... it's a little hard to confirm)

N Herts Eagle 19-03-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15709073)
January 15th 1972 apparently. 2-2 but won the replay 3-2? (or lost 3-2... it's a little hard to confirm)

I am pretty sure we lost but i refer to one of your earlier posts at my age games also blend into one :)

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709074)
I am pretty sure we lost but i refer to one of your earlier posts at my age games also blend into one :)

Upon further review it was 3-2 to Everton (played on the 18th)

Apparently Palace didn't have a team out, so to score 2 goals was pretty good going!

https://www.11v11.com/matches/everto...y-1972-213302/

KYLIE MINEAGLE 19-03-2021 03:13 AM

Remember the 2-2 game and the violence, but not the replay ,which we of course lost. Wallace got both our goals at SP and Tambling both at Goodison. My memory isn't that good ,looked it up in me book

PeterH 19-03-2021 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709031)

I might be mistaken, but didn't it all kick off after the first Wright goal?

big bad John 19-03-2021 03:14 AM

Royle done Jacko in the 5th minute and should have gone. There's a picture of Jacko with the physio a couple of days later with his thigh completely black. Royle got booked later on for something trivial, but then he got clobbered by Yogi. He turned around and kicked Hughes. Hughes got booked and the ref Smiler Dawes was about to book Royle but realized he'd have to send him off if he did. He bottled it and that sparked the first pitch invasion. Hughes got sent off in the second half for a foul on David Johnson. Five bookings, a sending off and three pitch invasions. The match had everything.
That game still didn't feel as toxic as the Tooting and Mitcham match. Five or six Palace fans were stabbed that day.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 19-03-2021 03:15 AM

Oddly enough we had three games against Sheff Wednesday the following season and lost the third game(naturally) 2-3 at Villa Park. Neutral venues for replays those were the days.

PeterH 19-03-2021 03:15 AM

A cup game in the Armstrong era against Man City. Their fans weren't happy.

PeterH 19-03-2021 03:16 AM

And I think we can add some Bristol City games in there as well.

thereichstuff 19-03-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709032)
Starting a *manager* out song for the opposing team was always a guilty pleasure

Did we ever do that at craven cottage when Alan dick was having a particular bad run.

Bipe 19-03-2021 06:09 AM

The game where Ben Watson got roundly booed as he stepped up to take a penalty for us was pretty unpleasant. Was it Leicester?

ozzieEagle 19-03-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15709082)
Oddly enough we had three games against Sheff Wednesday the following season and lost the third game(naturally) 2-3 at Villa Park. Neutral venues for replays those were the days.

Was at that 3rd replay.... plenty of Palace fans there, which is surprising for a 3rd replay in the 3rd round, or was it 4th round. Were you there?

ozzieEagle 19-03-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15709081)
Royle done Jacko in the 5th minute and should have gone. There's a picture of Jacko with the physio a couple of days later with his thigh completely black. Royle got booked later on for something trivial, but then he got clobbered by Yogi. He turned around and kicked Hughes. Hughes got booked and the ref Smiler Dawes was about to book Royle but realized he'd have to send him off if he did. He bottled it and that sparked the first pitch invasion. Hughes got sent off in the second half for a foul on David Johnson. Five bookings, a sending off and three pitch invasions. The match had everything.
That game still didn't feel as toxic as the Tooting and Mitcham match. Five or six Palace fans were stabbed that day.

Can't believe you can remember that much detail.... Well done!

Didn't you hit the piss before the game.

N Herts Eagle 19-03-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709264)

Didn't you hit the piss before the game.

What is more scary is he remembered it some 50 years latter........

bubbs11 19-03-2021 08:56 AM

Yes, i concur with VHA re. both the Wimbledon 0-5 and Man City 3-1 win away being very toxic.

The one at Maine Road...there was only about 400 of us and what looked like 20 odd thousands screaming mad as hell Mancs scaling fences trying to get to us. The chant, 'There's gonna be a riot' was still ringing in my ears when I got off the train at Euston. The ref actually got injured coming off as some City fan hurled something hard and sharp at his head. The police inevitably kept us back and we were full of the joys after a most unexpected victory.

Never forget as we were about to leave the ground and be escorted to coaches and train station, the sergeant that day addressing us before they opened the gates: 'Now look lads...there's about 500 very angry Man City fans waiting outside for you here. If I was you i'd keep it shut.' We did. But there were a few smirks.

Always wondered in recent years whether one or both of the Gallagher brothers were among the crazed eyed Manc fans trying to get to us.

casinocolin 19-03-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709068)
I'd love to chat to an Everton supporter or Player that was at that game that day. Bet it's ingrained in their memories too.

Funny thing, when I started reading this thread I begun thinking there was a game in the 70's at Selhurst where Yogi was sent off and a fan running on the pitch trying to attack the ref, but for the life of me I could not remember who we played. So glad some of you have better memories than myself or I would have had to of spent the rest of my day researching this, thanks.

Neillo's Son 19-03-2021 11:12 AM

I remember 5,000 or so of us at Wimbledon Away in 2002 chanting Francis Out after we blew a 2-0 lead.

Surreal experience looking back, only 1,000 or so home fans there and although we were crap under TF, he made some very good signings which led to promotion not long after!

Louis 19-03-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709072)
Leeds Chelsea Sunderland in 76 Tooting in 74 or 75 and of course Brighton replay..... Surviving the opposition fans was as interesting as the game

A moment of truth among the bravado "We gave as good as we got" type statements

GTR 19-03-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Cantona game

Fire away

Missed the Birmingham game but certainly remember the Alan Smith one. My memory of the Cantona game isn't of a particularly toxic atmosphere; maybe because we were about as far from the Kung Fu kick as it was possible to be, I mostly remember enjoying a deserved draw and don't think I knew that anything remarkable had happened until I got home.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention!

Vince Hilaire's Afro 19-03-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR (Post 15709407)
Missed the Birmingham game but certainly remember the Alan Smith one. My memory of the Cantona game isn't of a particularly toxic atmosphere; maybe because we were about as far from the Kung Fu kick as it was possible to be, I mostly remember enjoying a deserved draw and don't think I knew that anything remarkable had happened until I got home.

I remember a sense of disbelief at WTF just happened, and it all going mental for a short while.

The atmosphere turned nasty very quickly, but I remember thinking how lucky he was that the red mist didn't descend for him at Elland Road or Anfield, where there would surely have been a full scale riot

cpfc4evandeva 19-03-2021 11:39 AM

CPFC 1-1 Hull 2007

Taylor's last game. We were awful, so were Hull. With 10 minutes to go, we took the lead through a Dave Martin cross that Scowcroft headed home. For the remaining 10 minutes, we camped inside our own penalty area and then of course conceded a penalty with just a couple of minutes left. Whether it went in or not (which of course it did), it was clearly the end of Taylor. The atmosphere said it all.

Bonus was the half time entertainment - a dodgy Freddie Mercury tribute. He was hilariously bad.

bubbs11 19-03-2021 11:47 AM

Not sure if this could be classed as toxic as such, but Andy Gray’s return with Portsmouth was pretty hate filled. Fans were at him from start to finish. All ended with him giving away a last minute penalty after bundling Wright down, who duly got up and converted the penalty.

*edit* Villa not Pompey

Vince Hilaire's Afro 19-03-2021 11:56 AM

Villa?

Bipe 19-03-2021 12:12 PM

Vince Hilaire?

JackTheBiscuit 19-03-2021 12:22 PM

Sheffield Utd at home after the Wimbledon beating was even worse. I think it was Micky Droy’s debut. We conceded 3 but it could have been 10

Ant.Palace 19-03-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 15709420)
CPFC 1-1 Hull 2007

Taylor's last game. We were awful, so were Hull. With 10 minutes to go, we took the lead through a Dave Martin cross that Scowcroft headed home. For the remaining 10 minutes, we camped inside our own penalty area and then of course conceded a penalty with just a couple of minutes left. Whether it went in or not (which of course it did), it was clearly the end of Taylor. The atmosphere said it all.

Bonus was the half time entertainment - a dodgy Freddie Mercury tribute. He was hilariously bad.

Funny how I remember bad Freddie but not the game itself

Ant.Palace 19-03-2021 12:34 PM

Bristol City in the play-offs was very toxic

big bad John 19-03-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709258)
Was at that 3rd replay.... plenty of Palace fans there, which is surprising for a 3rd replay in the 3rd round, or was it 4th round. Were you there?

As always seems to be the normal, Palace fans getting soaked in the open away end. We brought supposedly 3,000 but there was about 14,000 Sheffield.

PeterH 19-03-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709415)
I remember a sense of disbelief at WTF just happened, and it all going mental for a short while.

The atmosphere turned nasty very quickly, but I remember thinking how lucky he was that the red mist didn't descend for him at Elland Road or Anfield, where there would surely have been a full scale riot

I think it sums up the nature of the man. At a good number of grounds he simply would never have done it. Even at Selhurst he launched himself at the softest part of the stand.

Imagine if he had done that in the middle of the HF.

The Planet 19-03-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Fire away

Swindon play off away game? That was my first ever Palace game but I don't remember anything toxic about it (other than Hopkins' OG)

big bad John 19-03-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709264)

:D No actually about 13 years ago I wrote an artlcle about the game for a football magazine called Backpass. 8 years later( 2016) they must have tripped over it and published it. I'd called it Royle Rumpus at Palace but the editor changed it to "I predict a riot." Obviously I had to double check the facts, which was just as well because the old mind does tend to play tricks.

bubbs11 19-03-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709431)
Villa?

Yes Villa of course. I obviously had Hilaireís return in my head when I wrote it.

david sylvian 19-03-2021 01:56 PM

Palace 0, Wolves 2 - last home game of 2001

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15709082)

Was that the games where Palace turned out in Red & Black stripes al la Man city away kit at Hillsborough for some odd reason?

Eric the Ginga 19-03-2021 03:26 PM

Chelsea in the '76 cup run was horrid (great game though). At half time there was a display by the Met Police Mounted Branch demonstration team, including a gallop towards our end.

cpfc4evandeva 19-03-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant.Palace (Post 15709500)
Funny how I remember bad Freddie but not the game itself

It is not an exaggeration to say that it was the best part of being at Selhurst that day.

Maiden Eagle 19-03-2021 03:49 PM

Can you imagine how toxic it would have been, if this season's Burnley game, had been in front of a crowd !!??

Eastern Boy 19-03-2021 04:57 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned the League Cup semi against Man Utd, the next match after Cantata (the day of the unfortunate murder).

Toxic atmosphere as soon as you got off the coach, fans spoiling for a fight, spitting on female football fans.

Southgate assault during the game.

CPFC2010ANDON 19-03-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Fire away

Was there at the mini-protest by the car-park outside the Main Stand.

A few people were questioning him and then one bloke stuck his head in above everyone and asked;

"Goldberg, why don't you just fck-off?"

cappuccinoeagle 19-03-2021 05:43 PM

I remember going to Wolves away - I think when Dougie & Clinton were at Palace- the atmosphere was a bit toxic not at Palace fans but at the Wolves players/staff as their team was on a bad run. Got a feeling programmes were thrown on the pitch.

M3 Eagle 19-03-2021 06:41 PM

If we are including opposition fans hammering their own I think Hull away takes some beating. The one when the fans were protesting about the proposed name change to Hull Tigers. Their banner was forcibly removed by stewards. Poisonous atmosphere that day. I remember us giving them huge support in their chants against the board.

M3 Eagle 19-03-2021 06:53 PM

Other games - Leeds in the cup when we won up there and also Sheffield Wednesday when we relegated them in 2010.

Isle of Wight 19-03-2021 06:59 PM

Birmingham and *****na werenít toxic just aggressive and mad. Toxic is the disgust at the team/manager and the Smith season tickets highlighted that.

Mad Max 19-03-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709065)
No that was the league game the next season he and Mel were involved. Strange what 20 years latter we and Everton again clashed Keown tackle on Young following the ZDS final the season before.

I always wondered how Keown and Wright got on at the arse after some scuffles near the goal.

12bus 19-03-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15709081)

Royleís assault on Jacko was as bad as it gets; Dawes lost control of the game lthere and then. I remember the photo of the injury clearly showed six stud marks high on the thigh.
Maybe just a power fantasy, but I recall Hughes legging it 40 yards to put Johnson into the Old Stand.

simon 19-03-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Planet (Post 15709569)
Swindon play off away game? That was my first ever Palace game but I don't remember anything toxic about it (other than Hopkins' OG)

It was too bloody hot to get angry.

ian king 20-03-2021 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12bus (Post 15709935)
Royleís assault on Jacko was as bad as it gets; Dawes lost control of the game lthere and then. I remember the photo of the injury clearly showed six stud marks high on the thigh.
Maybe just a power fantasy, but I recall Hughes legging it 40 yards to put Johnson into the Old Stand.

I can still remember this game very well. Tommy 'Smiler' Dawes was one of the least respected refs at that time (who also remembers Harry New). Totally lost control after five minutes and later threatened to abandon the game. Police had to come to his aid as well as John Hughes. Attached are the pics from the next home programme showing the injury to Jacko.

Both Bert Head and Arthur Wait criticised Dawes heavily afterwards.

stumpy feelers 20-03-2021 02:47 PM

Millwall away 96, how we all laughed as we scored 4 and Ndah scored an hilarious overhead kick. How we didn't when we saw hundreds of overweight middle aged Millwall morons waiting for us outside.

Dorking .Eagle 20-03-2021 03:02 PM

Unfortunately that 4th goal through Kasey Keller's legs gave them all a 10 minute head start to get into position outside

Hedgehog 20-03-2021 03:16 PM

I guess this thread has moved on from Toxic Selhurst Games... :rolleyes:

RUSSELL 20-03-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpy feelers (Post 15710478)
Millwall away 96, how we all laughed as we scored 4 and Ndah scored an hilarious overhead kick. How we didn't when we saw hundreds of overweight middle aged Millwall morons waiting for us outside.

They were only picking on women and kids, complete wankers!

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15709070)
Yes - I think it was something like we had to win by 4 clear goals and hope the other result (which I'm now reliably advised didn't involve Millwall!) went our way in order to get automatic promotion rather than just get into the play-offs. But we ended up finishing 1 point behind Man City who took the 2nd automatic promotion place behind Chelsea.

4 clear goals PLUS Bournemouth had to beat Man City for us. Bournemouth were winning for a long time but Trevor Morley equalised in the 86th and that was that. Because of the riot at Selhurst we were half hour behind them so by early in the 2nd half at 4-0 up we knew we couldn't go up that day. Our game ended 4-1

Quite impressive that Wright was in the papers saying he was going to get a hattrick....and managed it BEFORE half time! :D:p

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3 Eagle (Post 15709803)
If we are including opposition fans hammering their own I think Hull away takes some beating. The one when the fans were protesting about the proposed name change to Hull Tigers. Their banner was forcibly removed by stewards. Poisonous atmosphere that day. I remember us giving them huge support in their chants against the board.

Exactly right. A lot of mutual respect between the two fanbases that day, with both sides being anti-steward/police.

Bizarre that a banner saying WE ARE HULL CITY being walked around in front of their own supporters and getting clapped by both sets of fans was enough to get the police wading in.

Real shame what happened to that fanbase - the owners (The Allam family) won't sell and many fans simply refuse to go back until they leave the club.

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:08 PM

Southend away 1995-96. Our fanbase were split 50/50 on the 'Noades In/Out' debate. A fight broke out between our fans leading to ejections and just a shitty atmosphere for teh rest of the game. Dull 1-1 draw but all I remember is the fighting and getting talking to the guys who were thrown out, on the train home.

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR (Post 15709407)

My God - where the hell were you to not be close to one of the many scuffles that broke out all round the ground? The roof of the stand??? :eek:

That was Poisonville that night. The kung fu bit was chaotic but then when May scored 7 minutes later, we had a load more scuffles around the place as United fans had managed to get tickets in the home sections.

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:14 PM

26 August 1989 - Palace 0 Coventry 1. Referee Brian Hill single-handedly caused what felt like the entire crowd to chant 'the referees a wanker' for what felt like the entire second half. I'd love to know the true figures of how many of that 11000 crowd were actually doing the chants. Two open terraces and it rained all game. The players were losing their shit as every decision went Coventry's way. What a sh1t afternoon that truly was!

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:16 PM

8 May 1993 - Arsenal 1-0 on that horrible relegation afternoon. Wright (who'd already scored) then goes in super late on the Ninja. The Palace crowd booed - Wright reacted by blowing kisses to us. Whole away end transformed instantly into rabid piranhas trying to get on the pitch. You want the definition of toxic - that was it!

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:20 PM

4 Nov 1995 - Not an obvious one but things weren't working with the new Peter Nicholas/Ray Lewington management duo. In the bottom half of the league we were one of the favourites to win. Lowly Reading came to Selhurst and cantered to an easy 2-0 win. Nasty crowd reaction to Chris Coleman and he may even have scored an own goal or at the very least been responsible for one of the goals from memory - certainly he was the target of a lot of abuse from the Holmesdale and would soon be on his way to Blackburn. Horrible atmosphere.

Strange quirk in that this lower second tier match had two England goalies in it with Nigel for us and Chris Woods (only recently out of the England side) in goal for Reading at that time.

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:22 PM

Oct 1994 - Palace won at Filbert Street and got coined by Leicester fans - toxic atmosphere

Oct 1995 - Palace won at Filbert Street and got coined by Leicester fans - toxic atmosphere

November85 20-03-2021 05:23 PM

Millwall at home 2001. The match started with the edgiest minute's silence I've ever experienced, ending up with someone in the Holmesdale shouting "Shut up you *****" towards the Millwall fans, who had the whole Arthur. They went on to win 3-1, taking the piss, trashing the place (I distinctly remember seeing one holding a toilet seat above his head). A lone Palace fan couldn't take it any more and ran out the of Holmesdale onto the pitch to try to confront them all. And at the end we were penned in on Holmesdale Road while Millwall went off to Norwood Junction, trashing cars as they went,

cranesparkeagle 20-03-2021 05:23 PM

Cant remember the year but But Carl Leaburn scoring twice for Charlton was a pretty embarrassing night

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:24 PM

1992 - Last day of the season at QPR. Palace lose. Loftus Road runs out of food early and Palace fans pissed off and hacked off when QPR fans take the piss, coming on the pitch at the end

1999 - Last day of the season at QPR. Palace lose. Loftus Road runs out of food early and Palace fans pissed off and hacked off when QPR fans take the piss, coming on the pitch at the end

* Should add, there was a slight difference here as the 1992 one was largely humourous during the game, in spite of the lack of food, although it did ugly with the attempted pitch invasion at the end.

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle (Post 15710935)
Cant remember the year but But Carl Leaburn scoring twice for Charlton was a pretty embarrassing night

It was for Wimbledon. 0-3 Feb 1998. Missed the second goal as I had my head in the bog after a ridiculously heavy weekend on the cider :eek:

Valerian Ismael's (horror) debut.

Made 13 appearances for us - it was unlucky for him AND us!

Grim Reaper 20-03-2021 05:29 PM

Anyone mentioned that madd night v Chelsea in the Coca Cola Cup QF in Jan 1993 - the puddle game!

28000 crowd and must have been close to 50/50 Palace/Chelsea, with their fans all over the place. Plenty of middle aged Chelsea sticking a few fist on Palace teens at the back of the Holmesdale that night. Certainly added a toxic edge to what was a memorable evening

cranesparkeagle 20-03-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15710833)
My God - where the hell were you to not be close to one of the many scuffles that broke out all round the ground? The roof of the stand??? :eek:

That was Poisonville that night. The kung fu bit was chaotic but then when May scored 7 minutes later, we had a load more scuffles around the place as United fans had managed to get tickets in the home sections.

Man U fans were all over the Arthur that night. I was sat there bang opposite the incident and the atmosphere was indeed toxic. The players also were stoked up. Richard Shaw did a masterful job on the readily combustible Cantona and the rest is history

November85 20-03-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15710968)
It was for Wimbledon. 0-3 Feb 1998. Missed the second goal as I had my head in the bog after a ridiculously heavy weekend on the cider :eek:

Valerian Ismael's (horror) debut.

Made 13 appearances for us - it was unlucky for him AND us!

That was a real low. The 5-0 was just before my time, but this match might have been the worst defeat for me in terms of how shit I thought we were. Either that or the 3-1 at home to Crewe when Kit Symons was caretaker.

Nth Kent Eagle 20-03-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastern Boy (Post 15709748)
Surprised no one has mentioned the League Cup semi against Man Utd, the next match after Cantata (the day of the unfortunate murder).

Toxic atmosphere as soon as you got off the coach, fans spoiling for a fight, spitting on female football fans.

Southgate assault during the game.

Wasnít that the FA semi?

Nth Kent Eagle 20-03-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709072)
Its something about Cup games and that era I can list 5 which were interesting

Leeds Chelsea Sunderland in 76 Tooting in 74 or 75 and of course Brighton replay..... Surviving the opposition fans was as interesting as the game.

Watching games of that era how bad were the challenges in the Everton game to get Selhurst so incensed. In todays game many games would of ended up 5 a sude.

Leeds fans were even more toxic than usual that day.

casinocolin 20-03-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 15711159)
Leeds fans were even more toxic than usual that day.

Yes, they did not like the idea 'little old Palace' had become the team that everyone was talking about and did not like being taught a football lesson, we were awesome that day, played their mighty team off the park. :lux:

bubbs11 20-03-2021 08:40 PM

Bournemouth away 87/88.

Kicked off for ages in the first half in the away end between Palace fans and the police and stewards. Went on for ages - total carnage and the atmosphere was venomous. Had one eye on the game and the other on the procession of Palace fans being dragged out of the terrace by the old bill. Funny thing was while all this was going on, we went 2 down then 3-2 up by half time!

The following season there were a few incidents as well. One I’ll never forget was there was a middle aged guy with two young kids standing in the Palace end just next to me. Suddenly, Palace fans rounded on him and he quickly ran for cover and bundled the kids and himself to the front where stewards let him out through a gate in the fence as punches and kicks reigned in on him. The Palace fans said he was undercover old bill. Have to say, the way he reacted, kind of suggested they were right, but not a very nice sight. Would the old bill have been stupid enough to put those children in danger as part of an operation? Anyone else remember that?

Can’t remember which game it was, but one of those at the end of the game a Palace fan ran on the pitch at the final whistle to celebrate with the players. A steward started chasing him and as he was about to get within reach Geoff Thomas accidentally on purpose, tripped the steward up and turned to the away end and gave us all a cheeky smile. Was hilarious but can you imagine how much trouble he’d get in today doing that?