CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Toxic Selhurst Games (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283689)

big bad John 19-03-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 15709264)
Can't believe you can remember that much detail.... Well done!

:D No actually about 13 years ago I wrote an artlcle about the game for a football magazine called Backpass. 8 years later( 2016) they must have tripped over it and published it. I'd called it Royle Rumpus at Palace but the editor changed it to "I predict a riot." Obviously I had to double check the facts, which was just as well because the old mind does tend to play tricks.

bubbs11 19-03-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709431)
Villa?

Yes Villa of course. I obviously had Hilaire’s return in my head when I wrote it.

david sylvian 19-03-2021 01:56 PM

Palace 0, Wolves 2 - last home game of 2001

Hedgehog 19-03-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15709082)
Oddly enough we had three games against Sheff Wednesday the following season and lost the third game(naturally) 2-3 at Villa Park. Neutral venues for replays those were the days.

Was that the games where Palace turned out in Red & Black stripes al la Man city away kit at Hillsborough for some odd reason?

Eric the Ginga 19-03-2021 03:26 PM

Chelsea in the '76 cup run was horrid (great game though). At half time there was a display by the Met Police Mounted Branch demonstration team, including a gallop towards our end.

cpfc4evandeva 19-03-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant.Palace (Post 15709500)
Funny how I remember bad Freddie but not the game itself

It is not an exaggeration to say that it was the best part of being at Selhurst that day.

Maiden Eagle 19-03-2021 03:49 PM

Can you imagine how toxic it would have been, if this season's Burnley game, had been in front of a crowd !!??

Eastern Boy 19-03-2021 04:57 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned the League Cup semi against Man Utd, the next match after Cantata (the day of the unfortunate murder).

Toxic atmosphere as soon as you got off the coach, fans spoiling for a fight, spitting on female football fans.

Southgate assault during the game.

CPFC2010ANDON 19-03-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15709018)
Gradi thread brought up the occasion of our humiliating 5-0 reverse at home to a resurgent Wimbledon, early on during the Coppell era. (Did he offer to resign after the game?)

One of the most toxic atmospheres I've ever witnessed at Palace. What others also stick in the mind? Off the top of my head I can think of the following

Probably plenty during the Goldberg era but I can't think of one in particular

Away game memories are permitted (Brighton Boxing Day debacle, Swindon playoff away game, trying to get out of Maine Road after Mark Bright assaulted half their team on the way to a jammy away win, QPR Allen v sign, Villa Park semi replay) and even games where the toxicity had nothing to do with us (anti Fergie demo at Old Trafford).

Fire away

Was there at the mini-protest by the car-park outside the Main Stand.

A few people were questioning him and then one bloke stuck his head in above everyone and asked;

"Goldberg, why don't you just fck-off?"

cappuccinoeagle 19-03-2021 05:43 PM

I remember going to Wolves away - I think when Dougie & Clinton were at Palace- the atmosphere was a bit toxic not at Palace fans but at the Wolves players/staff as their team was on a bad run. Got a feeling programmes were thrown on the pitch.

M3 Eagle 19-03-2021 06:41 PM

If we are including opposition fans hammering their own I think Hull away takes some beating. The one when the fans were protesting about the proposed name change to Hull Tigers. Their banner was forcibly removed by stewards. Poisonous atmosphere that day. I remember us giving them huge support in their chants against the board.

M3 Eagle 19-03-2021 06:53 PM

Other games - Leeds in the cup when we won up there and also Sheffield Wednesday when we relegated them in 2010.

Isle of Wight 19-03-2021 06:59 PM

Birmingham and *****na weren’t toxic just aggressive and mad. Toxic is the disgust at the team/manager and the Smith season tickets highlighted that.

Mad Max 19-03-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15709065)
No that was the league game the next season he and Mel were involved. Strange what 20 years latter we and Everton again clashed Keown tackle on Young following the ZDS final the season before.

I always wondered how Keown and Wright got on at the arse after some scuffles near the goal.

12bus 19-03-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15709081)
Royle done Jacko in the 5th minute and should have gone. There's a picture of Jacko with the physio a couple of days later with his thigh completely black. Royle got booked later on for something trivial, but then he got clobbered by Yogi. He turned around and kicked Hughes. Hughes got booked and the ref Smiler Dawes was about to book Royle but realized he'd have to send him off if he did. He bottled it and that sparked the first pitch invasion. Hughes got sent off in the second half for a foul on David Johnson. Five bookings, a sending off and three pitch invasions. The match had everything.
That game still didn't feel as toxic as the Tooting and Mitcham match. Five or six Palace fans were stabbed that day.

Royle’s assault on Jacko was as bad as it gets; Dawes lost control of the game lthere and then. I remember the photo of the injury clearly showed six stud marks high on the thigh.
Maybe just a power fantasy, but I recall Hughes legging it 40 yards to put Johnson into the Old Stand.

simon 19-03-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Planet (Post 15709569)
Swindon play off away game? That was my first ever Palace game but I don't remember anything toxic about it (other than Hopkins' OG)

It was too bloody hot to get angry.

ian king 20-03-2021 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12bus (Post 15709935)
Royle’s assault on Jacko was as bad as it gets; Dawes lost control of the game lthere and then. I remember the photo of the injury clearly showed six stud marks high on the thigh.
Maybe just a power fantasy, but I recall Hughes legging it 40 yards to put Johnson into the Old Stand.

I can still remember this game very well. Tommy 'Smiler' Dawes was one of the least respected refs at that time (who also remembers Harry New). Totally lost control after five minutes and later threatened to abandon the game. Police had to come to his aid as well as John Hughes. Attached are the pics from the next home programme showing the injury to Jacko.

Both Bert Head and Arthur Wait criticised Dawes heavily afterwards.

stumpy feelers 20-03-2021 02:47 PM

Millwall away 96, how we all laughed as we scored 4 and Ndah scored an hilarious overhead kick. How we didn't when we saw hundreds of overweight middle aged Millwall morons waiting for us outside.

Dorking .Eagle 20-03-2021 03:02 PM

Unfortunately that 4th goal through Kasey Keller's legs gave them all a 10 minute head start to get into position outside

Hedgehog 20-03-2021 03:16 PM

I guess this thread has moved on from Toxic Selhurst Games... :rolleyes: