CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   User Help and Suggestions (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BBS maintenance and downtime (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283707)

Slimbloke'H' 05-04-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15730220)
Second question first, yes the BBS is displaying just fine.

As you've implied, it's likely that the issue is at my end, but I can't see how. I have now tried deleting and reinstalling the Firefox app to hopefully rule out a corrupted installation/data cache. Made no difference.

I then tried the BBS's forgotten password route; copied and pasted the generated password from the email and again, no joy.

For good measure, Windows is now bouncing me out of login after a short period of inactivity - but at least it lets me log back in.

Is Les trying to tell me something?

EDIT: Second issue is again with Firefox, on a Windows 10 machine.

I now have the full set. Firefox on android is doing the same.

Slimbloke'H' 05-04-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15729753)
I have a peculiar situation that's developed as a result of the update.

I can no longer log in on my iPad using the Firefox browser. Invalid username or password. I've cleared the cache and all website data to no avail. I can log in using Safari just fine.

Any ideas guys?

Scrub that - Safari refusing to log in too now. This is properly starting to **** me off.

se1eagle 05-04-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15730834)
Scrub that - Safari refusing to log in too now. This is properly starting to **** me off.

Hmm that's really strange. So you can't log in with Firefox on PC/Android/iOS or Safari on iPad? What can you log in with?

I'm a bit tied up with the match today but let me know if this is still happening tomorrow, and I'll send you a PM and see if we can work out what's going on

TomEagle 05-04-2021 06:06 PM

Not read the whole thread, but has the app been discontinued? It’s not been working for the last 3 days or so and I just deleted it to re-download to see if that helped and it’s no longer on the App Store that I can see

EddieEdwards 05-04-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomEagle (Post 15731261)
Not read the whole thread, but has the app been discontinued? Its not been working for the last 3 days or so and I just deleted it to re-download to see if that helped and its no longer on the App Store that I can see

The app is no longer available to install. The Android version should still work for those who have it installed but the Apple version probably won't work now. There will be a new app available in the future but we have other upgrades to do first so it may take a while.

Hedgehog 05-04-2021 07:43 PM

Good job guys. Site worked well during the game for me.

Also the Tapatalk App is working out just fine for me now I'm used to it on the iPhone.

Slimbloke'H' 05-04-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se1eagle (Post 15730858)
Hmm that's really strange. So you can't log in with Firefox on PC/Android/iOS or Safari on iPad? What can you log in with?

I'm a bit tied up with the match today but let me know if this is still happening tomorrow, and I'll send you a PM and see if we can work out what's going on

It's changing by the minute, mate.

Initially, Firefox on iPadOS was the only issue. Then Firefox on Windows 10 started booting me out of login after a short period of inactivity, but allowed me to log back in again (this is still the case).

Logging in from Safari on iPadOS was fine initially but now won't let me in. I have deleted and reinstalled Firefox as I mentioned, as well as deleting any cache files and saved passwords that I know how to, to no avail.

This afternoon Firefox on Android started acting the same as on Windows 10, however it seems to have become stable again, as I type.

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy for an old bloke, but this is doing my head in.

Slimbloke'H' 06-04-2021 05:12 PM

Update

I left both my PC and phone logged in overnight and they were both still logged in this morning; hopefully this suggests that the windows/android issues have cleared somehow.

My iPad situation hasn't changed. I tried installing Google Chrome, but like Firefox and Safari, it too refuses to allow me to log in.

se1eagle 06-04-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15732924)
I left both my PC and phone logged in overnight and they were both still logged in this morning; hopefully this suggests that the windows/android issues have cleared somehow.

My iPad situation hasn't changed. I tried installing Google Chrome, but like Firefox and Safari, it too refuses to allow me to log in.

Just sent you a PM

EddieEdwards 06-04-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15732924)

Do you have any special characters in your password that might somehow come out wrong when you type them on the iPad? Or maybe it could even be the apostrophes in your user name that are coming out as curly quotes on the iPad?

davemorris04 07-04-2021 05:09 AM

Definitely seems faster after this. Great work all.

Brett 07-04-2021 09:22 AM

Yes, yes, well done to Eddie and SE1 but...

Would it be possible to ask what happened to the world's richest Ulsterman?

Slimbloke'H' 07-04-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se1eagle (Post 15733290)
Just sent you a PM

I have replied, mate. :p

Slimbloke'H' 07-04-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieEdwards (Post 15733292)
Do you have any special characters in your password that might somehow come out wrong when you type them on the iPad? Or maybe it could even be the apostrophes in your user name that are coming out as curly quotes on the iPad?

This had occurred to me too, Eddie - The iPad keyboard does slant the apostrophe whereas both the Windows GB and Android keyboards produce a vertical apostrophe.

Bearing in mind that I could freely log in from my iPad prior to the work you guys have done, would any of the changes you've made alter the way the BBS reads apostrophes at login?

se1eagle 07-04-2021 05:18 PM

Checking the logs it's definitely the apostrophes - I'm not aware of any thing that should have changed this with the migration, but a probable workaround would be to copy/paste the username (with the single unslanted apostrophes) on the iPad

Slimbloke'H' 07-04-2021 05:28 PM

:lux:

Hedgehog 07-04-2021 06:00 PM

I take it that is a good sign?

Slimbloke'H' 07-04-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15734093)
I take it that is a good sign?

It is, Bob. The boys worked it out. :)

Hedgehog 07-04-2021 08:34 PM

BBS maintenance and downtime

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 15734224)
It is, Bob. The boys worked it out. :)

So are you going to have to change your username or just your password?

Actually Ive just noticed that if ever I quote you it does not say Slimbloke H in the quote but ]: I wonder if that is relevant to this issue?

Slimbloke'H' 07-04-2021 09:43 PM

That's exactly what the issue was, Bob.

If you type my username in a simple text editor on a Windows or Android machine, you get: Slimbloke'H'

If you do the same on an iPad, you get: SlimblokeH, and for some reason, after the update the BBS now doesn't recognise iPad apostrophes as apostrophes, for login purposes.

Fortunately, the workaround se1eagle suggested works. :)