CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990/91 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282360)

bubbs11 01-09-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15376403)
By the end of this game, Palace had scored 4 goals of which two had been created by sublime crossfield assists from new RB John Humphrey. He quietly came in and went about his business.

Just so consistent. Same with Young really.

If you look at it, within 9 months, Coppell had totally revolutionised our defence. Bought Martyn, Thorn, Young and Humphrey, and elevated Shaw into that full back birth.

We started the previous season with Suckling, Pemberton, Burke, O’Reilly and Hopkins. Amazing upgrade in less than a year.

Bipe 01-09-2020 02:08 PM

I was going to make a similar point. In the midfield we also had the emergence of Salako as a significant upgrade on Barber, and of course Andy Gray came back at the start of the previous season . So that only left GT, Wright, Bright and McGoldrick as the 'first choice XI' survivors from the team which gained promotion a little over a year previously.

le piddler 01-09-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15376390)
Stood on the Whitehorse it looked like th away end was full of coppers. Dortmund had a particularly bright yellow shirt this season (I owned one despite not being a Dortmund fan) but the Sheff Utd one was easily the brightest in the English game at this point.

Nice one Chris,that’s how I remember it now.
Was in the Holmesdale and the away end seemed to be glowing as they were all wearing that horrible shirt. Great header from Thompson too :sunglasses:

bubbs11 04-09-2020 07:39 AM

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/5E2CEFB9...E7A391E.md.jpg

andyocpfc 04-09-2020 09:01 AM

Have little recollection of the SU game apart from their shirts. It was borderline fluorescent from memory but nothing I search backs that up in google images. Can't be imagining it as others on here also have this recollection too

bubbs11 04-09-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 15381875)
Have little recollection of the SU game apart from their shirts. It was borderline fluorescent from memory but nothing I search backs that up in google images. Can't be imagining it as others on here also have this recollection too

Apparently was ‘the world’s first fluorescent shirt’.

https://twitter.com/truecolourskits/...237794305?s=21

andyocpfc 04-09-2020 09:39 AM

That's the one :)

Grim Reaper 05-09-2020 04:18 PM

Wow - I had no idea that shirt had been around the previous season - thought it was new in 1990.

Bipe 06-09-2020 12:25 PM

Moving on to the next game then, this took place on 8 September and was a fine 3-0 away win at Norwich with goals from Barber, Wright and Salako. We made a last minute decision to attend this one, largely influenced by our better than expected start to the season, and it proved to be very worthwhile as we blew Norwich away with a powerful display. We arrived at the ground just in time for kick off after a somewhat epic journey and this was just in the nick of time as we were 2-0 up in no time.

10 points from four games and riding high in the table.

Interesting that Barber started this one, I have no recollection but maybe Coppell had already started to suspect that Hodges wasn't going to fit in? It was probably one of Barber's last hurrahs for Palace as before too long Salako and McGoldrick had nailed down the two wide midfield spots. Although of somewhat limited capabilities he was a loyal servant for us who did of his best. The poor sod ended up at Millwall I think in the summer of 1991 after around 8 years with us so he deserves our sympathies for that if nothing else.

Skin Up 06-09-2020 01:37 PM

That was the moment that we knew this season was going to be a bit special as Norwich were so strong at home in those days, they seldom lost at Carrow Road.

N Herts Eagle 06-09-2020 01:57 PM

First game I missed for family reasons. As Norwich was one of my go to games most seasons.
The result though says it all from the struggles against Luton and Sheffield Utd we found scoring easy.
Four games in against opposition not likely to be top six at the time. The results if not the football meant a dream start.

King William 06-09-2020 03:37 PM

The Norwich 3-0 game was a fantastic team performance.

Grim Reaper 06-09-2020 04:29 PM

We were up to 2nd at this stage.

I'd been cock-a-hoop with 4th position after 3 games, but 2nd place was off the scale.

Last goal Barber ever scored for us. Decent servant as at one point in the mid-80s he was arguably our best player...which tells you how bad we were at that time!!

wrightchipvcfc 06-09-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15385230)
Moving on to the next game then, this took place on 8 September and was a fine 3-0 away win at Norwich with goals from Barber, Wright and Salako. We made a last minute decision to attend this one, largely influenced by our better than expected start to the season, and it proved to be very worthwhile as we blew Norwich away with a powerful display. We arrived at the ground just in time for kick off after a somewhat epic journey and this was just in the nick of time as we were 2-0 up in no time.

10 points from four games and riding high in the table.

Interesting that Barber started this one, I have no recollection but maybe Coppell had already started to suspect that Hodges wasn't going to fit in? It was probably one of Barber's last hurrahs for Palace as before too long Salako and McGoldrick had nailed down the two wide midfield spots. Although of somewhat limited capabilities he was a loyal servant for us who did of his best. The poor
sod ended up at Millwall I think in the summer of 1991 after around 8 years with us so he deserves our sympathies for that if nothing else.

Didn't salako break his hand in this game

Jim Cannon 06-09-2020 04:37 PM

Norwich away was great. 2 early goals and a sweet finish from Salako at the away end. Happy days

cantspell 06-09-2020 05:30 PM

We were really good in that game - cracking day out

colonel 06-09-2020 05:45 PM

Barber was my hero in the 85-87 era. Him and Gray up front at one point, Otulakowski and Irvine on the wings. Ticker Taylor and Steve Ketteridge in the middle. Micky Droy, Jimbo, George Wood. What a team!
But always had a soft spot for Barber - celebrated like a nutter when he scored, got the very best out of his ability and ended up with a decent career for us including a top 3 finish and a cup final appearance.

bubbs11 06-09-2020 05:48 PM

Norwich 0 Palace 3.
Barber. Wright. Salako

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako.” Thomas Thompson. Wright. Barber. Subs: Bright Hedman. (both unused)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/740FC94A...C9DC8FF.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/739F32CD...ABA3C71.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/57F25FB5...09CFB1C.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/14F7185B...0DD2CB6.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/8B26434F...54B5947.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/6EF8D4F1...16C9BB1.md.jpg

Hate mail! Ah, the BBS negatives were alive and well even back then.

Bipe 06-09-2020 06:13 PM

Did you not catch hdeagle's letter of reply in the following week's edition??

bubbs11 06-09-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel (Post 15385630)
Barber was my hero in the 85-87 era. Him and Gray up front at one point, Otulakowski and Irvine on the wings. Ticker Taylor and Steve Ketteridge in the middle. Micky Droy, Jimbo, George Wood. What a team!
But always had a soft spot for Barber - celebrated like a nutter when he scored, got the very best out of his ability and ended up with a decent career for us including a top 3 finish and a cup final appearance.

That side you mentioned was the first ray of sunshine we experienced for a good 5 years. Five years of huge disappointment and absolute dross let it be said. Got a lovely memory of the man mountain Droy scoring a goal and these midgets in comparison: Gray, Finnigan, Taylor... jumping on top of Droy as he walked off in celebration. It seemed he had half our team still hanging off him and he never broke a stride!

Swoonara 06-09-2020 06:58 PM

I remember Dale Gordon taking a corner in front of us during a rareNorwich attack and the Palace fans chanting ‘Dale Dale what’s the score?’ . Rather sheepishly he looked round and indicated that it was two nil, which was welcomed by an enormous cheer from the Palace faithful. I think Ian Wright added the third, but it was a long time age!!!

bubbs11 06-09-2020 06:59 PM

This was only one of eight away games I missed that season - attended all homes. A great victory but not great on a personal note as my (6 year older) brother and mate (who I’d usually attend games with), decided to make a weekend of it in Norwich and told me I was dropped from the travelling squad as they didn’t want a little 17 year old twerp cramping their style when no doubt, they’d be on the prowl at the local nightclubs and surveying the local talent. Gutted.

Grim Reaper 06-09-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15385749)
This was only one of eight away games I missed that season - attended all homes. A great victory but not great on a personal note as my (6 year older) brother and mate (who I’d usually attend games with), decided to make a weekend of it in Norwich and told me I was dropped from the travelling squad as they didn’t want a little 17 year old twerp cramping their style when no doubt, they’d be on the prowl at the local nightclubs and surveying the local talent. Gutted.

Big shame - plenty of totty in Norwich. :love:

Olympian2 06-09-2020 09:21 PM

I was at that Norwich game. I thought our 3rd goal came late in the game but I see it was scored in the 55th minute. Must have been a procession for us for the last 30 minutes - that’s not how I remember it at all!

bubbs11 07-09-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15385897)
Big shame - plenty of totty in Norwich. :love:

&#%!@!! :sob:

Bipe 09-09-2020 08:05 AM

I forgot to update for the chart movements week ending 8 September 1990 so here goes, and it was certainly a more interesting / eclectic mix than the dross of the previous week. Entering the top 10 were:

Groove Is In The Heart by Dee-Lite - A song that was very much of its time, capitalising on the dance explosion of the late 80s.

The Joker by Steve Miller Band - I've always had an uneasy feeling about this song, a credible artist veering dangerously close to novelty record territory what with its wolf-whistle guitars and whatnot. A bit like how Squeeze are known for Cool For Cats amongst those who aren't particularly fans. Anyway this was the latest in a long line of vintage songs which were recycled for a modern audience by Levis and it got all the way to number one.

What Time Is Love? by The KLF - Now you are talking, their first top ten hit (in this guise anyhow) and it marked the start of 18 months or so of chart and media domination by these art terrorists.

Rhythm Of The Rain by Jason Donovan - Jason's Neighbours / SAW moment in the sun was starting to fade away by now and this insipid cover did nothing to halt the decline It peaked at number nine.

JJ 09-09-2020 08:22 AM

I wasn't at the Norwich game as had a family party on, but can remember exactly where I was when I heard the result on the radio: driving down Middleton Road in Carshalton towards Mitcham Common. I remember thinking what a fantastic result it was, as Norwich were a very decent team at that time, and 3-0 was a proper away win. As others have mentioned, even though we'd already made a good start in the first couple of games, it was this result that made me think for the first time that season that we were turning into a really good side. Happy days! :sunglasses:

Grim Reaper 09-09-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15391104)
I forgot to update for the chart movements week ending 8 September 1990 so here goes, and it was certainly a more interesting / eclectic mix than the dross of the previous week. Entering the top 10 were:

Groove Is In The Heart by Dee-Lite - A song that was very much of its time, capitalising on the dance explosion of the late 80s.

The Joker by Steve Miller Band - I've always had an uneasy feeling about this song, a credible artist veering dangerously close to novelty record territory what with its wolf-whistle guitars and whatnot. A bit like how Squeeze are known for Cool For Cats amongst those who aren't particularly fans. Anyway this was the latest in a long line of vintage songs which were recycled for a modern audience by Levis and it got all the way to number one.

What Time Is Love? by The KLF - Now you are talking, their first top ten hit (in this guise anyhow) and it marked the start of 18 months or so of chart and media domination by these art terrorists.

Rhythm Of The Rain by Jason Donovan - Jason's Neighbours / SAW moment in the sun was starting to fade away by now and this insipid cover did nothing to halt the decline It peaked at number nine.

I love these musical extras you put in, Bipe. Also special mentions to Pet Shop Boys 'So Hard' (Gazza's sister was in the video at the height of Gazzamania) and Suicide Blonde by INXS. Neither were the biggest hits for those acts, but I always associate these two songs with Palace's brilliant start to the season.

This was also the week The Simpsons aired on Sky for the very first time. Very weird watching that first season now. It was all about Bart - Homer was actually the good guy trying to hold things together a lot of the time (Marge got pissed at one social event, and Homer was sober!) before the creators realised the true comedy was in evolving the Homer character, rather than focus on Bart.

Bipe 09-09-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15391304)
I love these musical extras you put in, Bipe. Also special mentions to Pet Shop Boys 'So Hard' (Gazza's sister was in the video at the height of Gazzamania) and Suicide Blonde by INXS. Neither were the biggest hits for those acts, but I always associate these two songs with Palace's brilliant start to the season.

This was also the week The Simpsons aired on Sky for the very first time. Very weird watching that first season now. It was all about Bart - Homer was actually the good guy trying to hold things together a lot of the time (Marge got pissed at one social event, and Homer was sober!) before the creators realised the true comedy was in evolving the Homer character, rather than focus on Bart.

I remember that Simpsons episode very well if it's the one I'm thinking of, culminates in a family electrotherapy session at the hands of Dr Marvin Monroe. Contains the classic Homer line 'don't correct the man, Brat!' when Mr Burns incorrectly reads Bart's name from a cue card handed to him by Smithers when welcoming his staff to his annual garden party.

bubbs11 09-09-2020 03:00 PM

Very disconcerting those early Simpson episodes as Homer’s voice has a different sound to it. Castellaneta who does his voice, said he had to make the decision to change from that gruff style as it became difficult for his throat to take after long periods recording.

bubbs11 09-09-2020 03:19 PM

On TV the evening we beat Norwich

BBC1

17:15. Neighbours 1000th episode Celebration
18:00. Noel Edmunds Saturday Roadshow
18:45. Every Second Counts
19:20. Russ Abbot
19:50. All Creatures Great and Small
20:40. In Sickness and in Health

No Match of the Day. Don’t think they were showing highlights that season. Certainly all the times Palace were on was on The Big Match on Sunday afternoons.

ElwissAtMemphis 09-09-2020 11:54 PM

TV coverage in that season was pretty sparse. I think The BBC only had rights to The FA Cup. Our 3rd Round match at home to Nottingham Forest (a deadly dull 0-0 draw) was live on BBC plus highlights of the 2 replays on Sportsnight. ITV had rights to a few League games but as far as I can recall looking at the entire season we featured just once; the 1-0 home win against Liverpool on 30th December.

I think ITV also had occasional highlights on Sunday afternoons of local matches but we were rarely on. I definitely remember the 4-3 home win against Wimbledon and possibly the 1-1 draw against Leeds a couple of weeks earlier but that was about it. Maybe the 0-0 draw with Arsenal too.

The first Sky contract was a couple of season's later (the first Premiership season).

Grim Reaper 10-09-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15391813)
Very disconcerting those early Simpson episodes as Homer’s voice has a different sound to it. Castellaneta who does his voice, said he had to make the decision to change from that gruff style as it became difficult for his throat to take after long periods recording.

That's correct. Also, D'Oh! wasn't invented until a few episodes in, os those very early shows Homer does more of a 'oooooh' in a wimpy type of way.

'Looking forward' to the musical recollections later this season (poss when we cover early 91 IIRC) where The Simpsons had the number one record! Listen to it now - it's terrible.

Ninja Turtles, Bombalurina, Simpsons, Hale & Pace, Gazza - all had massive hits during this season. Good job we had Palace to focus on because the music was terrible :clown::eek:

Grim Reaper 10-09-2020 09:42 AM

Back to the football. In this period after the Norwich game, we had a very simple equation thanks to Liverpool's game v Man United being on the Sunday.

Beat Forest in the next match and we'd be top of the league for only the second time in our history.

wrightchipvcfc 10-09-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15393193)
Back to the football. In this period after the Norwich game, we had a very simple equation thanks to Liverpool's game v Man United being on the Sunday.

Beat Forest in the next match and we'd be top of the league for only the second time in our history.

Didn't we play rudi Hedman at full back in this one for some reason

art malice 10-09-2020 01:37 PM

Playing Forest in those days was invariably a nightmare. I remember driving up there for the cup replay and hearing it was abandoned as we got there. Don’t even think we stopped the car, just did a quick U-turn and drove back through thick fog.

Mad Max 10-09-2020 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure what paper this was from.

bubbs11 11-09-2020 05:47 AM

Ah, the build up to the Forest match.

We were all well aware going into this match that a win would sit Crystal Palace on top of the English football tree for only the second time in our history. I was there for the first time against Ipswich in ‘79; I was convinced I was about to witness it again...

Grim Reaper 11-09-2020 10:05 AM

I was there. Betting slip in hand, £2 on Wright first goal at 9/2. When that came in, the next two matches at £4 a time (junior membership rate) on the Whitehorse would be paid for, with a spare pound for the next Eagle Eye. What could go wrong??

Anyone remember what Wright did in literally the first minute of that game!!?

Skin Up 11-09-2020 12:58 PM

Forest at home was the first of hundreds of visits to Selhurst Park for me so even though I can barely remember a lot of my classmates or even my primary school teacher of that year I still have strong visions of that match in my mind.

(Doing this without google, relying on memories) Sat in the first few rows of the AW stand, Richard Shaw scored one of his 2 or 3 goals for us after a neat Ian Wright inspired build up in the second minute. My late father who took me to the game was a harsh critic of Shaw and Martyn so despite getting a bit annoyed that Shaw had proved him wrong was vindicated when Nige let a Stuart Pearce shot in between his legs (my dad was from up north and a big Leeds fan, he'd later claim that Martyn was a fantastic keeper during his successful run at Elland Road), there was a Pearce freekick that tbf Martyn should have done a bit better with and I think it was Geoff Thomas who rescued a point with a looping header with 5 minutes to go. On paper Forest had a team that should challenge but only performed in the cups and were a dullish mid table side in the league - maybe warning signs of Clough's alcoholism but that was a really good side that underachieved by finishing 10th or so that season.

Des Walker (an Italia 90 hero) was pretty polite when I got his autograph during the warm up.

art malice 11-09-2020 01:41 PM

Out of all the defenders of that era, Wright struggled against Des Walker the most

wrightchipvcfc 11-09-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15395758)
Out of all the defenders of that era, Wright struggled against Des Walker the most

Remember we played forest as a championship team against a good forest team in Simon cup or what ever it was that season and on the way up we were wondering how wright would do against walker who was probaly one of the best cb in league at time.after a while couldn't see palace scoring then wright seem to out pace walker goes down in box were all jumping around thinking it's a penalty but wright kicks ball in the net while sitting on floor for a goal .think a lot of fans didn't realise we had scored and ball was in the net we had a good following at city ground that night .

N Herts Eagle 11-09-2020 02:44 PM

As has been said it was the game we needed to win to go top. The anticpation in the build up started from the moment we beat Norwich.
The result therefore was a disappointing end to the day. What that though hid how well it was wehad come back. Looking back the game that told us we were not going to win the league but one we would be easily comfortable something that was unthinkable a year before.

bubbs11 14-09-2020 07:41 AM

PALACE 2
Shaw. Thomas

N FOREST 2
Pearce 2

Att: 20,545

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Hedman. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. Barber. Subs. Hodges (for Barber). Bright (for Hedman)

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/C554A84F...31511CE.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/E122A158...59F92D5.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/67883623...585BD05.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/88825744...E61DFAE.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/D1C2E855...B6B7110.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/58BFD6CE...E8A9826.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/297A9177...5D79C5B.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/56E5E5B3...3031B36.md.jpg

King William 14-09-2020 07:49 AM

Wasn’t Thomas’ goal the looping header?

bubbs11 14-09-2020 07:55 AM

Obviously disappointment as this was the moment to see Palace sitting at the top of the top for only the second time in our history. After an early lead through Shaw’s goal from an amazing run by Wright, we felt we were on our way. History beckoned. But then it went flat and two Stuart Pearce goals later and we were staring at defeat. One through the legs of Big Nige. In the end the late equaliser from Thomas was a relief.

Thomas’s goal was one of the strangest ones I’ve seen at Selhurst. A looped header from outside the box. It was really one of those moments that was almost in slow motion the time it took to reach the goal.

Looking back I guess Gray’s suspension hit us hard. His replacement, the infamous Rudi Hedman, was never going to match what Andy brought to our midfield and that may well have been the difference between a draw and seeing us sit proudly on top of the table.

Jim Cannon 14-09-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King William (Post 15401228)

Yes

bubbs11 14-09-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King William (Post 15401228)

Yes. Talk about it in my post just after yours.

bubbs11 14-09-2020 08:01 AM

Bipe 14-09-2020 03:54 PM

Thanks to Bubbs for updating us with the stats / photos / match reports, interesting as always to reflect back on these. I'm pleased that for once my recollection that we scored very early and very late was correct. Less accurate it seems from the match report is my memory that the late Geoff Thomas looping header had sneaked us a scarcely deserved point, I thought Forest had played well that day and perhaps given us a bit of a reality check.

Worth noting that at the time Forest, whilst perhaps not quite the force they were in the early 80s, remained one of the top teams in the country with a regular habit of winning trophies. They had won the league cup in each of the previous two seasons and their squad boasted a number of household names and seasoned top flight players including Pearce, Des Walker, Nigel Clough etc. A young Roy Keane had joined them over the summer of 1990 from some Irish team (Cobh Ramblers or something). I have no recollection of him from this game but I think he was a regular for them that season so he may well have played.

Anyhow the draw meant that we remained unbeaten after five league games.

Bipe 14-09-2020 04:00 PM

And on to the top 10 new entries for week ending 15 September...there were only two this time:

The Space Jungle by Adamski - he had enjoyed a massive hit with 'Killer' earlier in the year, which had also been used extensively within the BBC's Italia 90 coverage so it was firmly ensconced in the national psyche. This one less so, would not be able to hum it for you if I was asked I'm afraid.

Vision Of Love by Mariah Carey - ah, the divine Mimi (one of my guilty pleasures to this day) with her debut hit and what a great showcase for her voice it was. I remember seeing her do a live performance of this on some late night TV chat show and it was phenomenal. It peaked at number nine.

art malice 14-09-2020 05:56 PM

Thomas extremely bullish about Spurs there. Wonder if that got pinned on their dressing room wall?

wrightchipvcfc 14-09-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15401229)
Obviously disappointment as this was the moment to see Palace sitting at the top of the top for only the second time in our history. After an early lead through Shaw’s goal from an amazing run by Wright, we felt we were on our way. History beckoned. But then it went flat and two Stuart Pearce goals later and we were staring at defeat. One through the legs of Big Nige. In the end the late equaliser from Thomas was a relief.

Thomas’s goal was one of the strangest ones I’ve seen at Selhurst. A looped header from outside the box. It was really one of those moments that was almost in slow motion the time it took to reach the goal.

Looking back I guess Gray’s suspension hit us hard. His replacement, the infamous Rudi Hedman, was never going to match what Andy brought to our midfield and that may well have been the difference between a draw and seeing us sit proudly on top of the table.

Hedman played full back I think

Bipe 14-09-2020 06:37 PM

It's an interesting one isn't it...Coppell never deviated from 4-4-2 as far as I can remember but there are five defenders in that starting line up. Shaw must have played in midfield, hence him being so far forward to finish off the first goal from Wright's run.

bubbs11 14-09-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc (Post 15402027)
Hedman played full back I think

Think you're right, with Shaw in midfield, hence why he was so far forward to score the goal. Think you can see Shaw in the middle too for Pearce's first.

Grim Reaper 17-09-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15395758)

With a special mention for Paul McGrath, who had him in his pocket both times we played Villa (0-2 and 0-0) that season.

Grim Reaper 17-09-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15401806)
And on to the top 10 new entries for week ending 15 September...there were only two this time:

The Space Jungle by Adamski - he had enjoyed a massive hit with 'Killer' earlier in the year, which had also been used extensively within the BBC's Italia 90 coverage so it was firmly ensconced in the national psyche. This one less so, would not be able to hum it for you if I was asked I'm afraid.

Vision Of Love by Mariah Carey - ah, the divine Mimi (one of my guilty pleasures to this day) with her debut hit and what a great showcase for her voice it was. I remember seeing her do a live performance of this on some late night TV chat show and it was phenomenal. It peaked at number nine.

Not normally my type of music but Mariah had me hooked with that voice and she was pretty cute as well. All good!

Bipe 20-09-2020 10:15 AM

On to the next game then which was on 22 September, a 1-1 draw away to Spurs. This was a rumbustious London derby, great fun in the packed away end when Geoff Thomas hit home our equaliser. The melee surged us halfway down the terrace.

The nation was in the full grip of Gazzamania at the time following his exploits in the world cup, was this the game when he caught Martyn out with a quick free kick while we were still arranging our wall?

Again this game was a marker as to how far we'd come, going toe to toe with one of the big boys at their place and emerging with a well deserved point. Of course we'd won there the season before courtesy of Alan Pardew so it was becoming a happy hunting ground for us.

Six games in, three wins and three draws.

N Herts Eagle 20-09-2020 11:25 AM

A great draw the Gazza free kick caught us out but Geoff scored for a well deserved point. We were looking good and belief was coming to the team and fans that we were not the same struggling side from the season before.
Easy game to get too easy to park as well near the ground. Seeing as my brother had just brought a place close to White Hart Lane. No long trek from Seven Sisters needed. At the time was working with a few Spurs fans so well happy not to get beaten. It was the spirit in the team the fighting quality matched with skill and a goal scorer still to show his best form. Everything was looking good.

JJ 20-09-2020 11:44 AM

We had a good run of results at White Hart Lane in the league in the 90s. I was at this game, certainly remember Gazza's free kick. Was it this game that they had Chas & Dave as the pre-match entertainment?

SA Eagle 20-09-2020 11:51 AM

I seem to recall that we were treated to an early display of the type of Gascoigne stupidity, that ultimately led to his downfall at the end of the season, when he ran some 20 yards to “do” Richard Shaw with a thigh high stamp/lunge. Fortunately Shaw avoided serious injury, probably because he saw him coming a mile off.

bubbs11 21-09-2020 10:11 AM

Spurs 1. Gascoigne
Palace 1. Thomas

Att: 34,859

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. Barber. Subs: Bright (for Barber). Hodges (unused)

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/D5FCBFE8...FDB260A.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/55FF6EED...5BA3422.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/30616359...181166F.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/80F2B72E...415F2B3.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/DB5C22FA...BE90F1C.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/8255575B...715BD47.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/9E78EFA7...70C839A.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/72602AD5...84F3753.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/136CD81B...4E8335B.md.jpg

Grim Reaper 21-09-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15414736)
Was it this game that they had Chas & Dave as the pre-match entertainment?

I don't know about that - I do know they were our pre-match entertainment one time v Bolton.

Grim Reaper 21-09-2020 03:37 PM

Gazza took the piss and the free kick was struck before the ref had blown his whilstle. Because Gazzamania was in full flow and Gazza was a 'cheeky chappy' that made it all OK and the ref allowed it.

Loved watching the bundle behind the goal when Geoff scored on telly the next day.

This was the game that told me Palace would be solid if nothing else this season. Three fancied teams out of the first six fixtures and still undefeated. These were exciting times.

As for me, this was just before I started venturing to away games so made do with my local team Gillingham hosting Maidstone in the short-lived (Maidstone only lasted 3 years before going bust) but 'high-spirited' Kent derby.

Best player on the pitch? Maidstone's Dave Madden, who I'd last seen playing four months previously in the Cup Final replay for Palace. Stood in the Gillingham end but enthusiastically applauding an opposition player wasn't the smartest move!

bubbs11 21-09-2020 07:26 PM

I went to White Hart Lane that day. The Gazza mania was in full flow and I haven’t seen anything like it in the media before or since in this country. He really was a one off and this was probably the one season he was at his very best, before snapping his cruciate in the self inflicted injury in the FA Cup Final that season.

It was actually the first time they’d dropped points at The Lane since we beat them in March the previous season. The atmosphere at the game was electric and we took loads there. Recall the Spurs fans singing before the game, ‘We’ve got Gascoigne, we’ve got Gascoigne, you ain’t! You ain’t!’

Right from the kick off there was a feeling we were just there as another bit part to the ‘Gazza show’ and felt the officials were swept away with it too as every decision seemed to go their way. Remember spitting feathers throughout and made worse when Gazza was allowed to take a free kick while our players were still trying to sort our wall out. Martyn was still by his post organising the wall when Gazza struck. Ref went along with it and 1-0.

When the equaliser did come 10 minutes before the end, it was an explosion of joy from the 80 mins of utter frustration of feeling hard done by. It was so typical of that Palace team that they refused to be a side show for anyone. The looks on the Spurs fans faces were a joy to behold. They couldn’t believe that we had the audacity to come and spoil the Gazza party. Felt so proud of our boys. Despite this tidal wave against them they refused to give in and that Thomas goal is one of my highlights of that season.

My closest mates lived in Edmonton at the time and would go every other week to watch Spurs purely because Gazza was playing. A week later I couldn’t get to the Derby away match so went with them to watch Spurs entertain Villa. Got talking to a Spurs fan where I was standing and admitted who I supported and they commented on how amazingly crazy the Palace fans celebrations looked from the home end. The whole end really erupted.

As a sad post note of that game that I still recall....Was walking back from the game and a middle aged Spurs fan spotted us in our colours and said in passing, ‘Got to say your boys are not a bad team at all - credit where credits due. Just make sure the next time you come up you bring a few less black players with you.’ Couldn’t believe what I’d just heard and just stared at the guy in disgust as he walked the other way. What a wanker.

Swoonara 21-09-2020 07:48 PM

I was in the Park Lane end that day and remember big Nige making a great save from jug ears at the Paxton Road end. We certainly matched them that day but the talking point was Gazza’s free kick,which nowadays would have earned him a yellow card. Six unbeaten, a great start to the season!!

Shirley bennett 21-09-2020 07:59 PM

Remember going to this game with my brother in law.hes a huge spurs fan (season ticket holder). He got me a ticket with him in the main stand and told me to sit on my hands all game.....did I f#£k.
When Geoff Equalised I went totally mad. I’ve never had so many people wanting to kill me.b.i.L dragged me back on my seat and somehow got out unscathed :lux::lux:

Bipe 22-09-2020 08:12 AM

Interesting to be reminded of the Gazza comments about boxing gloves. One thing the team had developed by this point was a real physical presence. This had been apparent in the latter part of the previous season as they had grown in confidence at that level, and I remember a right old ding dong at Plough Lane against the self-styled crazy gang only a week or two before the cup final. Dave Madden at the heart of proceedings on that occasion.

When you look at the spine of our team in 90/91 it's no surprise that we fancied ourselves in any physical battle - Young and Thorn, Thomas and Gray and Wright and Bright were a match for anyone in that department.

Bipe 22-09-2020 08:19 AM

Back in the charts, these were the top ten new entrants week ending 22 September:

Holy Smoke by Iron Maiden - the veteran metallers would regularly gatecrash the top ten during this period but this one passed me by I'm afraid.

Show Me Heaven by Maria McKee - a massive number one smash from that Tom Cruise / Nicole Kidman film about racing cars, it stayed at the top for four weeks and became the sixth biggest selling single of the year. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it, she had a great voice.

Groovy Train by The Farm - debut hit for the scouse baggy scene bandwagon jumpers after years of trying. Harmless fun but hasn't aged well.

JJ 22-09-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15417343)
I don't know about that - I do know they were our pre-match entertainment one time v Bolton.

Yes, but they also did the same at Spurs. My over-riding memory was that I had a migraine which had come on after going into the ground, tunnel vision / shimmery thing in my vision, and Chas & Dave seemed so unbelievably loud to my pounding head, I had to sit down at the top (back) of the terrace, trying not to throw up. The things we do to follow Palace...

bubbs11 22-09-2020 09:13 AM

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned the political landscape, but at this point in time the Conservatives were in their 11th year of power with Margaret Thatcher our Prime Minister. (But not for very much longer). Neil Kinnock was the Labour leader.

They feel like real historic figures from a bygone age and really brings it home how long ago we’re talking about.

HRP 22-09-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15418304)
Not sure if anyone’s mentioned the political landscape, but at this point in time the Conservatives were in their 11th year of power with Margaret Thatcher our Prime Minister. (But not for very much longer). Neil Kinnock was the Labour leader.

They feel like real historic figures from a bygone age and really brings it home how long ago we’re talking about.

Never really recovered from the poll tax riots and football id memberships . She had nobody to go to war with to save her either

Grim Reaper 22-09-2020 12:03 PM

Talking of Maggie - she was elected the week Palace went up in front of 51000 v Burnley and then kicked out of No.10 also when Palace were flying.

It's just a shame about the ten years in the middle of her reign!!

Bipe 23-09-2020 11:40 AM

Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0. Wright and Biright both hoped themselves to hat-tricks while Garry Thompson and Glyn Hodges chipped in with the other goals. I suspect it was probably Hodges' only goal during his ill-fated spell with us.

As was usual in those days we played a virtual full strength side. Will be interesting to see who Southend had in their line up once Bubbs posts all the stats - I'm wondering if Dean Austin might have started playing for them by then.

My recollection of the evening is that it wasn't as though we relentlessly peppered their goal with shots, we were just utterly clinical with the chances that presented themselves. A real sign of the confidence that was flowing through the team by this time following our unbeaten start to the season.

This massive win set us up nicely for a tough looking away game at Derby a few days later.

Olympian2 23-09-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley bennett (Post 15417713)
Remember going to this game with my brother in law.hes a huge spurs fan (season ticket holder). He got me a ticket with him in the main stand and told me to sit on my hands all game.....did I f#£k.
When Geoff Equalised I went totally mad. I’ve never had so many people wanting to kill me.b.i.L dragged me back on my seat and somehow got out unscathed :lux::lux:

Ha! I did exactly that the season after when we won 1-0. McGoldrick scored - from memory it was about 10 minutes from the end.

We borrowed STs & had to ask a steward where our seats were (it was 3/4 of the way through the season :supergrin:).

I properly went up when Eddie notched, then kept my wits about me for the last 10 minutes. It says there were less then 20k in White Hart Lane that day.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/totten...ry-1992-90424/

Apologies for straying from the 90-91 season.... :p

colonel 23-09-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15420768)
Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0. Wright and Biright both hoped themselves to hat-tricks while Garry Thompson and Glyn Hodges chipped in with the other goals. I suspect it was probably Hodges' only goal during his ill-fated spell with us.

As was usual in those days we played a virtual full strength side. Will be interesting to see who Southend had in their line up once Bubbs posts all the stats - I'm wondering if Dean Austin might have started playing for them by then.

My recollection of the evening is that it wasn't as though we relentlessly peppered their goal with shots, we were just utterly clinical with the chances that presented themselves. A real sign of the confidence that was flowing through the team by this time following our unbeaten start to the season.

This massive win set us up nicely for a tough looking away game at Derby a few days later.

I went to this one! Remember feeling Southend were not all that bad but we were just utterly ruthless in front of goal. Felt so bad I wanted to write to them and say we know how it feels (after Anfield) to be shoed when pretty much every shot on target went in and not to be too upset but realised that was a little patronising and besides I had no idea who to write to - no fans threads in those days.
Seeing as Bright had been on the bench for the first few games (hard as it is to believe) I think this cemented him back in the starting line up?

ElwissAtMemphis 23-09-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15420768)
Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0...

The attendance was 9653, a decent crowd for that round of the League Cup, particularly in those days.

Bipe 23-09-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15421056)
The attendance was 9653, a decent crowd for that round of the League Cup, particularly in those days.

Interesting, I got my figure from Wikipedia but of course that is not an infallible source of historical facts.

N Herts Eagle 23-09-2020 03:43 PM

Southend a potential banana skin of a game. One that despite having a season ticket was debating whether to go. Finally made my mind up in the afternoon. That decision meant l saw the most goals by Palace in one game. Still remains my record.
As said it was not as one sided as the score suggests. However the goals rained in no slip up. This was a Palace that was profressional on the pitch solid in defence deadly in attack. Long happy journey home.

NickP 23-09-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15421056)

One of them was me.

My short years as season ticket holder covered Zenith Data Systems glory, FA Cup nearly glory and finishing third - not bad eh?

bubbs11 23-09-2020 08:30 PM

Palace 8 Wright 3. Bright 3. Thompson. Hodges
Southend 0

Att: 9,653

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Thompson (for Barber). Hodges (for Humphrey).

Don’t know the official Southend line up but here is the team on the back of the programme

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/7528EA13...DADB73B.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/87A6682C...693F91C.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/C60DC6D0...3B101F6.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/6CAE7F90...6AB7EA7.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/4FEDB9DE...B52D71F.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/706EF5C9...325DA93.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/16000250...ABC7B66.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/E0DA8E41...DAF7E45.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/13E1C89D...917A194.md.jpg

Bipe 23-09-2020 08:43 PM

So not only Dean Austin but also Chris Powell and Andy Ansah. I had forgotten that Powell went to Southend from us not that long before this. What a long and winding career he had, culminating in England recognition under Sven.

bubbs11 23-09-2020 08:47 PM

What a night! I was also there 11 years earlier for the 7-0 thrashing of Stockport and this went one better. I was in the Whitehorse just behind the goal and remember at the final whistle both Bright and Wright going up to their keeper Paul Sansome and consoling him. They said afterwards that they told him just a year before this happened to us with the 9-0 and we fought back.

Looking at the report I had totally forgot that Wright got booked early on for a lunge on none other than Chris Powell. Southend also had ex Palace boy Andy Ansah and future Eagle Dean Austin. Another ex Palace player that moved that summer to Southend along with Powell was Adam Locke, who I’m not sure played that night. He only played a few first team games for Palace but I was aware of him as he was a few years above me at my high school.

Believe it or not, this was the first time Wright and Bright had started a match together for 6 months - the game being the home draw against Derby in March when Wright broke his leg for a second time.

PemboExpress 23-09-2020 09:02 PM

Yes, I remember the Southend game very well. I went with a Southend supporting mate from work. Yes, we did still speak afterwards!

The odd thing was we weren't that good 1st half - they were almost the better team (I think we were only 2-0 up from memory) - but we absolutely blitzed them 2nd half with Wright, Bright and Hodges running rampant.

Needless to say still my, and I would imagine almost everyone else's (except for those around in 1959) record Palace win.

Not that I was nervous but I did still attend the 2nd leg away.

Happy memories.

ElwissAtMemphis 23-09-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PemboExpress (Post 15421457)
Hodges running rampant.

Now there's a phrase that's hardly ever been used.

dim 23-09-2020 10:20 PM

Hodges, for some reason, reminded me of Robin Askwith....

PemboExpress 24-09-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15421530)
Now there's a phrase that's hardly ever been used.

I think it only ever happened in that game! In a Palace shirt at least.

JJ 24-09-2020 01:07 AM

I was at every home game in 90/91, so including the 8-0 v Southend. All I can remember about it, though, is the hat-tricks for Wright and Bright. It remains the only time I've seen (live) two players score hat-tricks in the same game. I've got a feeling Southend were actually going quite well in Division 3 at the time, so it's not like they were relegation fodder in a low league, we were just way too good for them.

Louis 24-09-2020 01:28 AM

I was there too. I remember the scoreline, not much about the game except that it was sort of boring in a way seeing a procession of goals. But satisfying of course seeing our attack working. We were generally very defensive under Steve Coppell, and it was nice to enjoy a lot of goals.

bubbs11 24-09-2020 05:02 AM

Have I totally missed the joke and reading too much into the quote from the report I posted, or was this a bit dodgy from the Southend boss? The two paragraphs under the heading ‘Console’.

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/1E988C63...E36E7DF.md.jpg

Bipe 24-09-2020 07:12 AM

More innocent times some might say...in other words racist remarks like that were shrugged off and not challenged. Even as a 'joke' it doesn't work as being harder to see would surely mean a bigger goal threat!

Pub Idol 24-09-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15421663)
More innocent times some might say...in other words racist remarks like that were shrugged off and not challenged. Even as a 'joke' it doesn't work as being harder to see would surely mean a bigger goal threat!

Hugely racist even then. What a scum bag.

Grim Reaper 24-09-2020 08:49 AM

I was unbearable at school the next day! I don't mind admitting it.

Every Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal fan was asked the same question

"What's the past tense of the verb 'to eat'"
"Ate."
"8-0! 8-0! 8-0!"

8-0 was plastered all over the blackboard at the start of lessons before the teacher arrived. I had my 'Mutant Ninja Palace Heroes' T-shirt (bought from a geezer outside Selhurst the week before) under my white school shirt, so the ninja turle in a Palace shirt was easily visible and had my Palace scarf on in class as well.

Having been the butt of the 6th form jokes (teachers joined in as well) after the 9-0 54 weeks previously, this was the day I evened the score. Ha ha. What a day!

Grim Reaper 24-09-2020 08:52 AM

That Southend side were decent. They went up that season. It was only three years later we were playing them as equals in the 1st Division.

the drexciyan 24-09-2020 08:53 AM

what a great thread, thanks to all who posted :)

Grim Reaper 24-09-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15421441)
So not only Dean Austin but also Chris Powell and Andy Ansah. I had forgotten that Powell went to Southend from us not that long before this. What a long and winding career he had, culminating in England recognition under Sven.

Add to the list Paul Sansome in goal who had been at Palace in 79-80.

Never played in the first team. Ironically he'd have been at Palace when we beat Stockport 7-0 in 1979

Mad Max 24-09-2020 10:10 AM

I remember coming out of the ground afterwards and hearing one Southend fan saying to his mates "I`d rather lose 8-0 to that lot than 1-0 to Spurs" which I thought odd at the time.Didn`t know Southend had history with Spurs.

art malice 24-09-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Idol (Post 15421696)
Hugely racist even then. What a scum bag.

Aye. Deffo would have got back to the players too

Bipe 24-09-2020 03:34 PM

We're into a new chart week, so these were the new faces in the top ten for week ending 29 September:

I've Been Thinking About You by Londonbeat - not to be confused with the London Boys of similar vintage, this run of the mill effort was bafflingly popular. It got to number 2 in this country and somehow all the way to number 1 in the USA.

Cult Of Snap by Snap - they enjoyed two monster hits with The Power ('we will attack - and you don't want that!') and Rhythm Is A Dancer ('I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer'). This one only just scraped into the top 10, it had a Moroccan souk kind of vibe going on but was otherwise unmemorable.

Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.

colonel 24-09-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15422407)
Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.

As a child of the time I LOVE this tune. She had such a sultry voice. Worth a listen I reckon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdR2RfXGUw