CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

PeterH 09-12-2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 16751362)
The custom started in Europe but the yanks especially in New York have brought it to a new level. What annoys me is when owners of business's look for tips. It used to be if the owner of a bar served you, if you left him a tip he would return it. Now you go into a shop or laundromat and the only person there is the proprietor who always now seems to have a begging bowl next to them on the counter.

My local shop owning butcher has a tip jar. Cheeky bugger.

I'll send my students my transfer details for the days I absolutely nail a grammar point. FFS

PeterH 09-12-2022 05:05 AM

Anything above 15% is obscene. It's time people took a step back. In costly cities like NY or London I suspect a couple or family can run up a decent Bill in a fairly good or better restaurant. The idea of being expected to add 25 or 30% to that is just ridiculous. $200 bill plus add $60 for the tip because if you added just $40 you may be asked if there was a problem with the meal or service.

'Oh...you won't be allowed to eat there again' - BBSer that is part of the problem.

It all goes back to the idea of leaving a dollar for every beer you buy. What's it now, 5 bucks tip for each beer?

adrenalin john 09-12-2022 06:26 AM

When I am on it, I always insist they take the service charge off the bill and then pay by credit card and leave a seperate tip in cash. Only way I can be sure the staff get the cash.

Many have been unduly appreciative suggesting to me that tips are at best managed by owners or at worst stolen by them.

Reps AJ 09-12-2022 08:10 AM

Spotify Wrapped.

Just f*ck off.

Reps AJ 09-12-2022 08:11 AM

Accidently clicking the wrong link and ending up on the Harry and Meghan thread

Pidster 09-12-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 16751189)
Razors - I am fine with it. Nice to have the break. I have some work to be doing, which I am quite advanced on now - house jobs and family duties. Grandnips here. I need to accrue the brownie points to allow me at least games 2, 3, 4 this next couple of days. I am happy to forego the Brasil love fest.

Things happen for a reason.

Grow some, you pussy.

Nth Kent Eagle 09-12-2022 09:53 AM

Buying tins of tuna and then finding there isn't a ring pull.

brighton_eagle 09-12-2022 10:43 AM

When your ADHD son's teacher says he could do really well but needs to focus more in class. If I'd heard this once it would be annoying, but it's rarer not to hear it.

Maidstoned Eagle 09-12-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 16751585)
When your ADHD son's teacher says he could do really well but needs to focus more in class. If I'd heard this once it would be annoying, but it's rarer not to hear it.

A lot of times we say this only to find out afterwards the child is ADHD.

CP-RJW 09-12-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16751537)

Breaking the ring pull on tins of tuna.

RazorsEdge 09-12-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 16751633)

:D

brighton_eagle 09-12-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 16751626)
A lot of times we say this only to find out afterwards the child is ADHD.

He has a comprehensive additional needs plan that all his teachers should have read, so I'm afraid that's not the excuse here. Had the same with my older son, who has ADHD and ASD and a comprehensive EHCP but was constantly being told by teachers to 'sit still', 'stop fidgeting' and 'look at me when I'm talking to you'. One of the biggest challenges as a parent of a child with SEN is educating teachers I'm afraid.

That said, there have been some excellent teachers who get it, and when they do they really make a huge difference.

davech 09-12-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Who else remembers the early days of 'ring-pull'? Mostly drinks. The rings detatched completely and streets were littered with them. They were a saleable novelty and adverts were accompanied by the ditty "Gimmee that ring" and the the pop/hiss of the ringpull to the tune of the Pipkins' "Gimmee Dat Ding". It did beat having to carry a can-piercer in your pocket all the time, though.

Thank goodness for advances in technology, even if it does fail once in a while :D

Martin H 09-12-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 16751585)

I remember getting a top score from my sports teacher who wrote that I had made great improvement in this final term which was odd because I had a cartilage problem and operation that had me schooled at home for the whole term. If I had stayed off longer I might have made the Olympics!

On a more serious note - how is ADHD diagnosed these days? Is it reliant on the observance of a set of behaviours and the absence of any other proven explanation or has it advanced to include specific tests? I know there is a wide variance of the condition and it's impacts but wondered if they had produced any hard recognisable tests for it. At least it is recognised these days albeit not remembered by the sounds of it.

CT_Palace 09-12-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16751695)
Who else remembers the early days of 'ring-pull'? Mostly drinks. The rings detatched completely and streets were littered with them. They were a saleable novelty and adverts were accompanied by the ditty "Gimmee that ring" and the the pop/hiss of the ringpull to the tune of the Pipkins' "Gimmee Dat Ding". It did beat having to carry a can-piercer in your pocket all the time, though.

Thank goodness for advances in technology, even if it does fail once in a while :D

Break off the tongue and use it to power flick the ring painfully into Fotherington-Thomas' left earhole :p

PeterH 09-12-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 16751534)
Grow some, you pussy.

Are you still single?

PeterH 09-12-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Or any can type product. Or buying a can that does not have ring pulls. Oh, how we used to live - constantly at the risk of a hospital visit.

west country boy 09-12-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Have you heard of this majick new technological device called a "tin opener"?

brighton_eagle 09-12-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 16751700)
On a more serious note - how is ADHD diagnosed these days? Is it reliant on the observance of a set of behaviours and the absence of any other proven explanation or has it advanced to include specific tests? I know there is a wide variance of the condition and it's impacts but wondered if they had produced any hard recognisable tests for it. At least it is recognised these days albeit not remembered by the sounds of it.

The diagnostic process may have changed - my youngest was diagnosed 6 years ago - but at that point it was an evidence gathering exercise. They considered home, school and social settings and also what they saw in interviews with the person being diagnosed. It wasn't easy to get a diagnosis, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, although it was much easier than getting them an autism diagnosis, which took several years, and my youngest was misdiagnosed by the first consultant who concluded that he couldn't be autistic because he was popular and had lots of friends.

In general in my experience, teachers and other professionals seem to fall into three camps:

The ones that understand and make accommodations accordingly. Unsurprisingly my children have excelled in these classes.

The ones that don't understand but are willing to learn and can be bought onside with patience

The ones that think it's nonsense and just bad behaviour. These tend to be older teachers, although not always, and should probably be encouraged to retire.

Oldtown Eagle 09-12-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Or, has happened to me this week, a ring pull that just snaps off.