CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

cappuccinoeagle 06-02-2015 06:37 PM

Endless TV ads for the show Fortitude

Chocky 06-02-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 12226881)
Endless TV ads for the show Fortitude

National Geographic Channel that show the same trailers for programmes EVERY bloody ad break which is every 10 minutes.

Chris K 07-02-2015 09:35 AM

Co-op radio. I'm sorry but when I nip out at 8a.m. to buy some milk the last thing I want is to be followed round the shop by an overtly cheerful radio presenter who is so bad he can only get work on a shop's radio station playing his selection of white trash pop music

strawberry mivi 07-02-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the drexciyan (Post 12222403)
No way were english kids saying uni before neighbours. Or maybe it was Home and Away, but Lance wasn't that type of kid.

We used to say Poly.
HTH

El Jefe 07-02-2015 10:43 AM

People not knowing/using the correct form of 'to' 'too' and 'two'.

Also add all 'there' 'they're' and 'their's' to that list!

People using 'an' instead of 'and'.

People using 'then' instead of 'than'.

Many more I should think too!


Learn basic English words you fools!

El Jefe 07-02-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 12227724)
We used to say Poly.
HTH

Whilst we're on the subject of University, I've lost count of the number of older people who insist on calling it college! Not sure if they know the difference or not but college is where Americans/school leavers go to get mostly vocational qualifications, compared to degrees etc from University!

Suffolkeagle 07-02-2015 10:49 AM

Palace box office! Been 1st in line for last 50 minutes!

little al 07-02-2015 11:09 AM

Add to that people who use "a" in front of a word beginning with a vowel. It's AN umbrella, not A umbrella.

racehorse-80s 07-02-2015 11:27 AM

Waiters that pour wine into your glass during your meal .

Reps AJ 07-02-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 12227790)
Whilst we're on the subject of University, I've lost count of the number of older people who insist on calling it college! Not sure if they know the difference or not but college is where Americans/school leavers go to get mostly vocational qualifications, compared to degrees etc from University!

A few universities are split into colleges, iirc Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and probably others

Yoda 07-02-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse-80s (Post 12227855)
Waiters that pour wine into your glass during your meal .

Yeah...that bugs me too. It interrupts conversation and you can feel under pressure to drink faster.

I'm a slow wine drinker and take my time to get thru a glass or two.

It strikes me as an old school posh custom.

I'd prefer prompt delivery of our first bottle and then, when we're nearing the end of that, it's fine for the waiter to ask if we'd like another. But I don't want my glass topped up by them in between.

audreytatou 07-02-2015 11:46 AM

Indian restaurants in Australia where the cook is actually Indian and cooks Indian food because I reeealllly miss Indian Restaurants that are really Bangladeshi like in the UK....:( Oh and those delicious Turkish restaurants over here who REFUSE to serve doner kebab meat in pitta bread and, instead, roll it up in freshly baked delicious home made Pide!:(....oh and Baps...i hate that word:veryangry

Suffolkeagle 07-02-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 12227790)
Whilst we're on the subject of University, I've lost count of the number of older people who insist on calling it college! Not sure if they know the difference or not but college is where Americans/school leavers go to get mostly vocational qualifications, compared to degrees etc from University!

Cambridge is the university. There is no designated place for cambridge university it is just made up of colleges.

Pat of the Palace 07-02-2015 11:56 AM

Also in Ireland. All the universities are called colleges. Trinity, UCD, etc.

little al 07-02-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 12227871)
Yeah...that bugs me too. It interrupts conversation and you can feel under pressure to drink faster.

I'm a slow wine drinker and take my time to get thru a glass or two.

It strikes me as an old school posh custom.

I'd prefer prompt delivery of our first bottle and then, when we're nearing the end of that, it's fine for the waiter to ask if we'd like another. But I don't want my glass topped up by them in between.

It's also pretty irresponsible, you might be driving and only want a very small glass.

Maz 07-02-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 12227957)
It's also pretty irresponsible, you might be driving and only want a very small glass.

Meh - it's not exactly hard to say no thank you to a waiter.

And good ones will of course remember.

the drexciyan 07-02-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suffolkeagle (Post 12227807)
Palace box office! Been 1st in line for last 50 minutes!

Shooting at an open goal with that one.

My particular variation is why the club have to charge 10p a minute and more from mobiles just for the priviledge to buy a ticket from them or just ask them a question.

Yoda 07-02-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 12227973)
Meh - it's not exactly hard to say no thank you to a waiter.

And good ones will of course remember.

Good ones, yes.

In a restaurant last year, I had to repeatedly say 'no thank you, I'm driving' when they kept trying to top up my glass. It certainly did get annoying (as per the thread's title).

Tripod 10 07-02-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse-80s (Post 12227855)
Waiters that pour wine into your glass during your meal .

That is so annoying.:veryangry
They don't bring small chunks of my steak out for me every 48 seconds.
Get off my ******* wine.

Blind_Eagle 07-02-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse-80s (Post 12227855)
Waiters that pour wine into your glass during your meal .

Similar, but what really winds me up is when the sommelier goes through the routine of asking you to taste the wine and then, if you subsequently request a second bottle of the same wine, just rocks up with the second bottle and proceeds to top up people's glasses on top of the existing wine.

Is a second bottle never corked or has suffered form poor storage then? :grrr:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.