CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Audiobooks! (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195910)

Malakite 22-01-2010 02:11 PM

Audiobooks!

Does anyone use them? I have just downloaded my first to try! I have imported to my itunes and via this link: http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...nes-20803.html

Have named each chapter from the nook. Trouble is I still cannot seem to drag all of the files into the 'Audiobook' section of itunes. Does anyone know how, and also use this function, or is it just as easy to leave the audiobook as an mp3? I just like the fact that if you stick all of the files in 'Audiobooks' you are able to take off from where you last left the book automatically :)

Any advice and info on any experience you all have on this would be ace as always :p

Smoz 22-01-2010 02:35 PM

Just had a look at the ones I have in my itunes, try this:

In itunes, right click on the file
Select 'get info'
Options
There is a drop box called 'media type', from this select Audiobook
Click OK

Malakite 22-01-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz
Just had a look at the ones I have in my itunes, try this:

In itunes, right click on the file
Select 'get info'
Options
There is a drop box called 'media type', from this select Audiobook
Click OK

Yup already have that selected..weird have no idea why it won't drop into the audiobooks hmmmm

Always an Eagle 22-01-2010 04:55 PM

Make sure you're doing this via the options tab & not via "genre" in the info one. If you've done that already try this instead, mine is in both. If all else fails create a play list

You can have any audiobook/song/film pick up where it left off, you need to select "remember playback position"

Malakite 22-01-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always an Eagle
Make sure you're doing this via the options tab & not via "genre" in the info one. If you've done that already try this instead, mine is in both. If all else fails create a play list

You can have any audiobook/song/film pick up where it left off, you need to select "remember playback position"

Fantastic it works! Thanks buddy :)

Nostrils 09-03-2021 08:40 PM

There are loads of non-fiction books that I've been wanting to read over the years, but every time I try, I just have the urge to go back to fiction, I just don't find it relaxing. I did try audible a while back, but that was fiction for whatever reason and I just didn't buy it. This time, having bought the kindle version of The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, it dawned on me that I might enjoy it more by listening to it. I bloody well did as well, I had an hour at work, then cooking dinner, and finally just now in the bath. I'm now confident I have it sussed - read fiction, listen to non-fiction.

As far as the book is concerned, it's fascinating once it gets going. Right now he's talking with R.D. Laing's son about his father, his clinic, and some of the people that were there (Sean Connery, the legendary Timothy Leary for eg), and the methods he employed to help his patients (I don't think he referred to them as patients tbh). The story is a whole lot wilder than just this slice though, I would recommend it.

Next up will be John Cooper-Clarke's I Wanna Be Yours

Pub Idol 09-03-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15694160)
There are loads of non-fiction books that I've been wanting to read over the years, but every time I try, I just have the urge to go back to fiction, I just don't find it relaxing. I did try audible a while back, but that was fiction for whatever reason and I just didn't buy it. This time, having bought the kindle version of The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, it dawned on me that I might enjoy it more by listening to it. I bloody well did as well, I had an hour at work, then cooking dinner, and finally just now in the bath. I'm now confident I have it sussed - read fiction, listen to non-fiction.

As far as the book is concerned, it's fascinating once it gets going. Right now he's talking with R.D. Laing's son about his father, his clinic, and some of the people that were there (Sean Connery, the legendary Timothy Leary for eg), and the methods he employed to help his patients (I don't think he referred to them as patients tbh). The story is a whole lot wilder than just this slice though, I would recommend it.

Next up will be John Cooper-Clarke's I Wanna Be Yours

Just got into audible properly. Its great to listen to whilst doing something else like walking, cleaning, cooking etc... Another thing I have done, which sounds crazy, is to listen at a faster speed. Currently at 2.65x which means I can smash through books. 5 done last week.

Nostrils 09-03-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Idol (Post 15694166)
Just got into audible properly. Its great to listen to whilst doing something else like walking, cleaning, cooking etc... Another thing I have done, which sounds crazy, is to listen at a faster speed. Currently at 2.65x which means I can smash through books. 5 done last week.

That is a brilliant idea! Though I have no idea how to do this :D I was thinking, while luxuriating between my 50 lit scented candles, that Ronson is a fairly slow orator. Do they sound like chipmunks when it's fast?

Adlerhorst 10-03-2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15694179)
That is a brilliant idea! Though I have no idea how to do this :D I was thinking, while luxuriating between my 50 lit scented candles, that Ronson is a fairly slow orator. Do they sound like chipmunks when it's fast?

Nope, if they just sped it up they would so they fix this by asking the narrators to record it many times at different speeds of speech

You can hear the gasping for breath when they are doing the x5 versions.

Nostrils 10-03-2021 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15694336)
Nope, if they just sped it up they would so they fix this by asking the narrators to record it many times at different speeds of speech

You can hear the gasping for breath when they are doing the x5 versions.

:D

You've just sorted Busta Rhymes and Gift of Gab's next career path.

Pub Idol 11-03-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15694179)

No they sound OK. Trick is to increase the speed slowly BTW... Bottom left of the app is where it shows the speed.

I do the same on podcasts but finding the FYP pods needs to be slower. Jessie Boyce sounds a bit odd speeded up come to mention it :supergrin:

James 20-03-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Idol (Post 15696421)
I do the same on podcasts but finding the FYP pods needs to be slower.

I agree - but the dirge of a theme tune sounds quite good at 2x speed.

Pub Idol 20-03-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 15710766)
I agree - but the dirge of a theme tune sounds quite good at 2x speed.

Glad I am not the only one who does this. The talking Sopranos is 2 hours plus and was becoming difficult to find the time. Not an issue anymore!