CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990/91 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282360)

SA Eagle 17-10-2020 08:59 PM

Interesting to see from that first report, the referee commenting on decisions made during the game. Not something seen now.

bubbs11 17-10-2020 09:17 PM

I went to Goodison. A tight affair. Feeling at the end of the game was one of contentment really. Remember us all singing joyfully at the final whistle. It had got to the stage where we were well aware of our unbeaten record and it felt important to hold onto it. They hit the bar and though we came close a few times, I felt a draw was a fair result.

This was the first point we’d earned on Merseyside since 1972. In fact, the 2-1 win the following season at Anfield was the first time a Crystal Palace side had won on Merseyside.

The previous season we’d lost 9-0 and 4-0. Before that in 80/81: 3-0 and 5-0 defeats.

So since the war, we went 19 league and cup games without victory on Merseyside.

Bipe 18-10-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15459740)
Just like in real life, the international break has caused this thread to lose momentum!

Next up was Everton away. A 0-0 draw at Goodison Park was a marked improvement on the 0-4 we suffered there the previous March. Thorny hit the bar with a header if I recall correctly. It kept the unbeaten run going and put us on a record of P9 W4 D5.

As solid a start as we'd dare hope for but four draws in the last five games meant there was still a degree of doubt as to how good this team actually was.

In my own defence I did say in the opening post that I'd aim to post updates a day or two before the thirtieth anniversary of each match - you went too early!

Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons. They had developed a reputation for paying over the odds on big money signings who never quite worked out. Tony Cottee, Mike Newell, Pat Nevin and Stuart McCall spring readily to mind. Would be interesting to get hold of the opposition line-ups for some of these games, I suspect the Everton one was pretty stuffed with expensive players plus a few overhangs from their glory years.

Like others I recalled this game as a tight affair which reaffirmed our new found defensive solidity, although worth noting that the result kept Everton in the relegation zone with just a single win in their opening nine fixtures. Come the spring, Everton would loom large on the horizon again and I'm looking forward to reaching that point in the season.

Still four unbeaten teams after nine games and we were still waiting for the 'classic' 1990/91 season line up to reveal itself, with Barber and Pardew still hanging around.

Bipe 18-10-2020 08:49 AM

Looking at the new entrants into the top 10 for week ending 20 October, it was thin gruel indeed with just one effort listed and a stinker at that:

Let's Try It Again / (Didn't I) Blow Your Mind This Time - Double A side by New Kids On The Block

This went in to the top 10 at number 8 and then buggered off out again the following week. Like a number of acts already mentioned, NKOTB were coming towards the end of their commercial peak having enjoyed a couple of smash hits a year or two previously. Their boyband model supposedly influenced the conception of Take That so they have a lot to answer for. In later years they became most notably known for the fact that one of their members was the brother of Hollywood star Mark 'Marky Mark' Wahlberg.

Don't worry pop pickers, the following week's chart has a bit more going on.

bubbs11 18-10-2020 08:58 AM

Think this Everton game was the first airing of the all red kit.

Clearly meant to antagonise the blue noses on Merseyside. :)

ElwissAtMemphis 18-10-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe
Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons. They had developed a reputation for paying over the odds on big money signings who never quite worked out. Tony Cottee, Mike Newell, Pat Nevin and Stuart McCall spring readily to mind. Would be interesting to get hold of the opposition line-ups for some of these games, I suspect the Everton one was pretty stuffed with expensive players plus a few overhangs from their glory years.

EVERTON: Neville SOUTHALL, Neil McDONALD, Dave WATSON, Kevin RATCLIFFE+, Ray ATTEVELD, John EBBRELL, Stuart McCALL, Pat NEVIN, Andy HINCHCLIFFE+, Tony COTTEE, Graeme SHARP. Subs: Martin KEOWN, Mike NEWELL

JJ 19-10-2020 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15461337)
Everton had been unable to capitalise on their brief period of domestic dominance in the mid-80s, when they won four trophies in as many seasons.

They were undoubtedly the biggest losers from the ban on English clubs in Europe after Heysel.

I wasn't at this 0-0, but as others have said it was a real marker for comparison of improvement against the previous year, when after our 0-4 defeat I think it was Tommy Smith that said we were the worst team he'd ever seen in the First Division.

Unusual also that there were still 4 teams unbeaten after 9 games, coming up to a quarter of the season gone.

Grim Reaper 19-10-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15461337)
In my own defence I did say in the opening post that I'd aim to post updates a day or two before the thirtieth anniversary of each match - you went too early!

You are right. My apologies. My favourite thread - I was missing it and jumped the gun! Damn that international break in 1990 ;)

Grim Reaper 19-10-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15461344)
Looking at the new entrants into the top 10 for week ending 20 October, it was thin gruel indeed with just one effort listed and a stinker at that:

Let's Try It Again / (Didn't I) Blow Your Mind This Time - Double A side by New Kids On The Block

This went in to the top 10 at number 8 and then buggered off out again the following week. Like a number of acts already mentioned, NKOTB were coming towards the end of their commercial peak

They were massive for a short while. I never realised just how short that window was tbh. Right Stuff and Hanging Tough were smashes both sides of the Atlantic. Didn't realise they were were already on the slide barely a year later in this country.

To their credit they did vary it a bit - wasn't just pure . Tonight I remember being acceptable to admit to liking as a lad at the time (had elements of '60s vibes to it) and then Games was an acceptable rap type effort early in 91 and then from memory they pretty much disappeared after that.

Grim Reaper 21-10-2020 09:17 AM

Never noticed our away goal difference in isolation before now.

P5 W2 D3 F7 A2

+5 after 5 games is insane. Young would have been top of the Fantasy League defenders as a guess had that game taken off at this point (there was a forerunner called Dream League but I don't know how the scoring worked for that), although Stuart Pearce's insane goal tally that season would have gained him a lot of points

Bipe 25-10-2020 09:30 AM

So the calendar moves around towards our next game, which was on 27 October 1990 versus our neighbours from out west Wimbledon.

This match evokes strong memories for a number of reasons. First and foremost it was a real goalfest, Palace running out 4-3 winners with goals from Bright, Gray, Humphrey and Thomas. Geoff Thomas was in the middle of a real purple patch from midfield, this was his fourth goal in six league games and the rumours were that Graham Taylor was starting to take note. I cannot remember the exact scoring sequence but from memory Wimbledon took the lead early on but we soon turned it around and once in front we stayed there without ever being able to kill them off.

We were treated to extended highlights of this game on LWT the following day (still a rarity in those days). The great Brian Moore did the commentary, at one point breaking off from describing the game to simply remark 'this is a wonderful game!'. I loved Brian Moore, he always seemed to recognise that he was in a privileged position of being paid to watch and talk about football games and he struck the right balance of being enthusiastic without ever over-hyping. He also resisted the John Motson failing of trying to be over-elaborate with his commentary.

The other key memory from the match was that it was John Fashanu's first appearance since lurid tabloid stories about his brother Justin's sex life had appeared. Justin had revealed that he was bisexual and had had an affair with Julie Goodyear (Bet Lynch from Corrie). John's every touch was greeted with ironic catcalls and wolf whistles, pretty shameful stuff in hindsight and these days we would be vilified for it. Fashanu had the last laugh of sorts, scoring a delightful chip at the Holmesdale end. I was directly behind the arc of the ball as it looped over Nigel Martyn into the net and you had to appreciate the skill.

Bipe 25-10-2020 09:36 AM

It was also a busy week as far as the charts were concerned, with four new entries into the top ten as follows:

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers - this re-release went all the way to the top and in fact became the biggest selling single of the year. Was it tied in with the film Ghost? Maybe, I'm sure someone will correct me if not.

Kinky Afro by Happy Mondays - Madchester lit large, these lairy oiks owned the Top Of The Pops studio when invited to perform this song. This was a time when the established hierarchy of pop royalty started to get shaken up, the Brits would no longer be dominated by the likes of Phil Collins, Sting and Dire Straits year after year after year.

I'm Your Baby Tonight by Whitney Houston - workmanlike and unexceptional fodder from the hit machine.

Take My Breath Away by Berlin - another re-release for reasons which have escaped me, it had got to number 1 only a couple of years previously and went as high as number 3 this time around. It has its admirers, I'm not one of them.

N Herts Eagle 25-10-2020 09:53 AM

Was one of those games packed with goals incidents and controversy. A typical London Derby it was not. However in line with the Millwall game the season before a typical South East London Derby.
The Fashanu abuse though is the standout memory many years latter. Which is the great shame.

art malice 25-10-2020 10:14 AM

Fashanu flicked the Vs at the Holmesdale after he scored. And fair play to him. My mate was moaning about the defending as we left. But I was happy with a hugely entertaining game, which were not that common at the time.

Olympian2 25-10-2020 10:40 AM

Wimbledon highlights here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5ga8q2e6E

Segers looks to get down really slowly to Humphrey’s shot.

I also really remember the Andy Gray goal - seems to have to wait ages before it sits right for him, with Segers looking like he’s thinking ‘Oh ****, he’s going to muller it at me’.

I always get this game mixed up with the 3-2 ‘Salako in goal’ game the following season.

N Herts Eagle 25-10-2020 11:55 AM

The other thing from this game 30 years ago is a reflection on how in relatively a short time society changes. Contrast the abuse to Fash to the applause for Eddie Izzard. This is not just true regarding sexuality the same comment can be made about race from the 70s compared to the 2000s.
Sure not perfect now but a long way forward from the worse times. I still argue sport plays a major part in this role model of players help change perceptions.
Rashford however much a Utd player is showing it today. The next player to come out will face considerable less hostility than that shown to Fash and his family shown then.

Bipe 25-10-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 15473181)
Wimbledon highlights here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5ga8q2e6E

Segers looks to get down really slowly to Humphrey’s shot.

I also really remember the Andy Gray goal - seems to have to wait ages before it sits right for him, with Segers looking like he’s thinking ‘Oh ****, he’s going to muller it at me’.

I always get this game mixed up with the 3-2 ‘Salako in goal’ game the following season.

Thanks for that, hadn't seen those goals for years. At least Hodges got an assist in this game so he contributed something during his ill-fated spell with us.

The abuse for Fashanu comes across loud and clear in the build up to his goal.

bubbs11 25-10-2020 05:53 PM

PALACE 4....Thomas. Humphrey. Gray. Bright.
WIMBLEDON 3.....McGee 2. Fashanu

ATT: 16,778

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Barber (for Hodges). Pardew (unused)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/03D35A90...E24B92B.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/9F8B1822...AA2F3E9.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/666160D8...C904A34.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/5B9E243D...A15E0E9.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/A9E63569...5359494.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/B40509F1...099FC1C.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/2F0B104B...57F21B3.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/DC8328A2...F108A9E.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/704476F0...D39E9C1.md.jpg

Olympian2 25-10-2020 06:15 PM

‘We’ve got that Terry Phelan on loan-oan-oan’

Still one of my favourite Palace songs :p

bubbs11 25-10-2020 06:18 PM

Probably one of the most memorable games of the season, in part to it being televised. Remember hearing a lot of praise from neutrals after that as our play that day was very eye catching despite conceding three. Wimbledon were like that - they never gave up.

But it felt we’d really come of age. Ten league games unbeaten - still only 4th mind, with somehow Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs also undefeated. But there was a swagger and class about us that really made people sit up and take notice. We were finally being taken seriously.

As mentioned, this game is also remembered for John Fashanu and the continuous cat calls every time he touched the ball. There was a break in play for treatment at one point and watching from the Whitehorse, I saw Ian Wright walk behind Fash just around the centre circle. He then cheekily started pinching Fash’s bum continuously while looking round at the Whitehorse grinning from ear to ear. Fash was slapping Wright’s hand away very forcefully and was clearly not happy with being teased. The fans that spotted it were obviously laughing along. It just sounds so horrible now talking about it and it really was a bygone age.

The real victim of course was Justin mind, not John, who didn’t support his brother in such a monumental moment in his life. He did offer to pay Justin whatever he was getting from The Sun in order not to sell his story and reveal his sexuality but Justin refused. I believe John was furious and didn’t talk to him after the news broke.

Latvian Eagle 25-10-2020 06:24 PM

My first ever game. :lux:

As an aside I've seen a few bits with Fashanu particularly that Celebrity SAS thing and he has absolutely no remorse even now for the way he treated his brother, the bloke is a grade A **** as far as I am concerned.

bubbs11 25-10-2020 06:24 PM

Here’s an interesting little article from the programme that day. It’s celebrating one of our director’s appointment to the Nigerian national football board. His son of course was to become quite a name in politics....Chuka Umunna.

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/38DC1BB8...44ABB61.md.jpg

Bipe 25-10-2020 06:32 PM

Funnily enough I used to be in quite regular contact with Chief Ben's wife Patricia through work - she was a lawyer.

As mentioned this result meant that we'd reached the end of October still undefeated in the league, stuff beyond our wildest dreams. I recall looking forward to our next match, away to the Wankers at the Theatre of Wanks, with relish. We had won there last year and also drawn at home, not to mention pushing them all the way in the cup final. This season we had clearly progressed as a unit and sat above them in the table, and there was no real sign that this Ferguson guy was going to find the magic formula which had eluded his predecessors for the past 25 years. It seemed we had a great chance of extending the unbeaten run, what could possibly go wrong?

Also noted from the team sheet for this match that there is still no sign of McGoldrick and thus the classic 90/91 Palace line up has not yet been unleashed.

Grim Reaper 25-10-2020 07:41 PM

My memories of this game were also of the Fashanu 'baiting'. My memory from there on the Whtehorse is slightly different in that while it was more piss-takey - almost pantomime stuff rather than vitriolic.

Wrighty stroked Fashanu's hair at one point and Fash laughed it off.

The Fashanu goal was a) a classy finish and b) well deserved for the stick he'd been given.

Scoring went 0-1, then 3-1 to Palace, Fash made it 3-2, Palace made it 4-2 before Paul McGee rounded Martyn with a few minutes left and walked the ball home to make it 4-3. Very entertaining game on a sunny autumnal afternoon. I just love those days at Selhurst as the sun sets over Croydon.

As a footnote I was at a Gillingham v Torquay game a couple of years later and saw Justin Fashanu cop a whole load of similar stick and, just like his brother before, he also responded with a goal, although it was actually even better than John's. A lob from miles out to wrap up the three points for Torquay and I couldn't help but admire his fortitude.

Grim Reaper 25-10-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 15473181)

I was dead in line with that behind the goal. One of those great moments where you know a full 2 seconds beforehand that a goal is coming.

Armstrong v Southend & Millwall in the same week in 94 were also in this category.

Andy Gray at Millwall in March 1990 was a similar scenario.

Bipe 28-10-2020 08:40 AM

On 30 October 1990 we returned to League Cup action with what should have been an easy enough home tie against lowly Leyton Orient. I think they were still in their period of just being called 'Orient' at that time, and they were languishing in the third division ('league one' to you youngsters) with no sign that they were a sleeping giant about to awaken.

The match didn't turn out as expected, we laboured to a 0-0 draw which meant a replay at their place the following week (no penalties kids!). I'm afraid this game has not lingered in the memory but I'm confident it was a stinker and we didn't exactly miss a hatful of chances. Odd that we could be flying so high in the league and yet we come back down to earth in a home cup game against a team two divisions below us. I look forward to seeing our line up but I'm sure it was close to a full strength side as usual.

Olympian2 28-10-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15475778)
On 30 October 1990 we returned to League Cup action with what should have been an easy enough home tie against lowly Leyton Orient. I think they were still in their period of just being called 'Orient' at that time, and they were languishing in the third division ('league one' to you youngsters) with no sign that they were a sleeping giant about to awaken.

The match didn't turn out as expected, we laboured to a 0-0 draw which meant a replay at their place the following week (no penalties kids!). I'm afraid this game has not lingered in the memory but I'm confident it was a stinker and we didn't exactly miss a hatful of chances. Odd that we could be flying so high in the league and yet we come back down to earth in a home cup game against a team two divisions below us. I look forward to seeing our line up but I'm sure it was close to a full strength side as usual.

Don't remember those games at all. As a complete aside, I see that we played Orient 11 times between 1974 & these League Cup games in 1990, those 11 games producing only 7 goals!

We then beat them 4-2, again in the League Cup, to rather arrest that sequence.

stange555 28-10-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

I went to the replay - but that's next week so I'll keep quiet for now!

Latvian Eagle 28-10-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

I remember listening to the replay on Capital Gold whilst trying to go to sleep. Completely forgot it went to a replay to be honest.

JJ 28-10-2020 10:37 AM

The 4-3 Wimbledon game was a belter. They scored two great goals and like others I distinctly remember the stick Fashanu got before his great goal.

I would also have been at the 0-0 Orient game but don't recall a single thing about it.

Pub Idol 28-10-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15473709)
Probably one of the most memorable games of the season, in part to it being televised. Remember hearing a lot of praise from neutrals after that as our play that day was very eye catching despite conceding three. Wimbledon were like that - they never gave up.

But it felt we’d really come of age. Ten league games unbeaten - still only 4th mind, with somehow Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs also undefeated. But there was a swagger and class about us that really made people sit up and take notice. We were finally being taken seriously.

As mentioned, this game is also remembered for John Fashanu and the continuous cat calls every time he touched the ball. There was a break in play for treatment at one point and watching from the Whitehorse, I saw Ian Wright walk behind Fash just around the centre circle. He then cheekily started pinching Fash’s bum continuously while looking round at the Whitehorse grinning from ear to ear. Fash was slapping Wright’s hand away very forcefully and was clearly not happy with being teased. The fans that spotted it were obviously laughing along. It just sounds so horrible now talking about it and it really was a bygone age.

The real victim of course was Justin mind, not John, who didn’t support his brother in such a monumental moment in his life. He did offer to pay Justin whatever he was getting from The Sun in order not to sell his story and reveal his sexuality but Justin refused. I believe John was furious and didn’t talk to him after the news broke.

I bet Ian Wright would be ashamed of that these days. Awful.

bubbs11 28-10-2020 12:58 PM

Rumbelows Cup 3rd Rd

PALACE 0
ORIENT 0

Att: 12,958

PALACE: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Barber (for Hodges). Pardew (unused)

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/058AF9D3...520A6AD.md.jpg

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/8F1C991D...D5E5342.md.jpg

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/BA0DD67E...C806679.md.jpg
https://s2.gifyu.com/images/16F679DD...F46D697.md.jpg

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/F8A76DF5...90B2C28.md.jpg

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/ABD46E3C...F743725.md.jpg

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/C171FD56...E4912C0.md.jpg

bubbs11 28-10-2020 01:05 PM

I reckon I could recall something about nearly every Palace game I’ve ever been to since the late 70’s...this isn’t one of them. I literally cannot recall going, being at or going home from this match.

It seems Glyn Hodges went off injured just before half time with ligament damage. This was to be the second to last time he started a match for the club.

Notice from the programme team sheet that Terry Howard played for Orient. We had him on loan in Coppell’s early years and I recall that he impressed somewhat and was sad to see him return to Chelsea.

wrightchipvcfc 28-10-2020 02:43 PM

Noticed the team sheet was sponcered by cheers wine bar that game think pardew was a regular in there around that time .

Latvian Eagle 28-10-2020 02:47 PM

About all I remember hearing of this game (I didn't go) was that Paul Heald in goal for Orient had a blinder.

Heald had a brief spell with us a couple of years later when substitute goalkeepers were first introduced in England, and then later on a spell at Wimbledon too.

Bipe 28-10-2020 02:58 PM

Yes Terry Howard did pretty well for us on loan, I think he played in an 'away' win against Charlton the season they went up whilst squatting at Selhurst Park?

The match report reads as though we battered them without breaking through. Like Bubbs and others though, my own memory of the game has been virtually expunged over the years. Maybe there was some sort of malignant gamma ray emanating from the Crystal Palace tower that evening.

Interesting that a number of the names on the Orient team sheet ring a bell with me, back in those days you used to pick up much more knowledge of the goings on in the lower leagues. Partly because the squads were more stable and I suppose partly because the media coverage of football was much more democratic (e.g. LBC going around all the grounds where London teams were playing one after the other on an endless loop - used to be great listening on a Saturday afternoon).

Latvian Eagle 28-10-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15476149)
Yes Terry Howard did pretty well for us on loan, I think he played in an 'away' win against Charlton the season they went up whilst squatting at Selhurst Park?

The match report reads as though we battered them without breaking through. Like Bubbs and others though, my own memory of the game has been virtually expunged over the years. Maybe there was some sort of malignant gamma ray emanating from the Crystal Palace tower that evening.

Interesting that a number of the names on the Orient team sheet ring a bell with me, back in those days you used to pick up much more knowledge of the goings on in the lower leagues. Partly because the squads were more stable and I suppose partly because the media coverage of football was much more democratic (e.g. LBC going around all the grounds where London teams were playing one after the other on an endless loop - used to be great listening on a Saturday afternoon).

When we were Away at weekends I remember sitting in my Dads car if my Mum was at the shops listening to similar on Capital Gold.

Grim Reaper 28-10-2020 03:51 PM

Weirdly I remember this game very well. Actually, I remmber the 'night' but not that much about the game.

37th game attended in my life and it was the first 0-0. I'd been so proud of my record to that point. Killed me to fill in the score on my A4 'lifetime match chart'!

Ironically my 38th game was also a 0-0!

Pre-match the Orient players were interviewed and were in awe of Selhurst Park - citing it as the sort of ground you dreamed of playing at when growing up. I've heard that comment before in relation to Old Trafford and Wembley but never Selhurst!!

I remember one team with a long range shot at the Whitehorse that nearly went in yet weirdly I can't recall if it was a Palace or Orient shot.

This was the game where the Croydon Advertiser Blue Bear's head fell off when jumping for a header at half time which earnt him a jeer/cheer as he frantically scrambled to get the head back on.

Come the end of the game I stood with interest and watched Ninja and the Blue Bear looking for something in the penalty area. It's always been in my head that Ninja's wedding ring might have fallen off and that's what they were looking for. I guess that's a mystery I'll never get an answer for.

Bipe 28-10-2020 06:22 PM

Maybe one of the blue bear's contact lenses fell out when his head came off??

Funnily enough it rings a bell that Eric Young wore contact lenses and one of our games was temporarily halted while he scrabbled around the pitch looking for one. Or is that a figment of my imagination.

Latvian Eagle 28-10-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15476446)

Funnily enough it rings a bell that Eric Young wore contact lenses and one of our games was temporarily halted while he scrabbled around the pitch looking for one. Or is that a figment of my imagination.

I seem to recall this story too.

Bipe 30-10-2020 08:30 AM

There were two new entries into the top ten in the week ending 3 November.

(We Want) The Same Thing by Belinda Carlisle - you knew what you were getting with Belinda. Positive, feelgood lyrics and vibe, big old chorus, smiley happy video and that odd but endearing warbly voice. This track delivered on all counts so if you were a fan you were quids in. I wasn't particularly but even then it's harmless fun.

Step Back In Time by Kylie Minogue - by this stage Kylie was moving towards the fag end of her initial SAW era and getting ready to try new things. This was a somewhat tired and formulaic effort which invited the listener to wallow in musical nostalgia.

Olympian2 30-10-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15478881)
There were two new entries into the top ten in the week ending 3 November.

(We Want) The Same Thing by Belinda Carlisle - you knew what you were getting with Belinda. Positive, feelgood lyrics and vibe, big old chorus, smiley happy video and that odd but endearing warbly voice. This track delivered on all counts so if you were a fan you were quids in. I wasn't particularly but even then it's harmless fun.

You very much did not know what you were getting with Belinda Carlisle. It was only at the injunction hearing that it became apparent that we didn’t want the same thing.

Grim Reaper 30-10-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15476446)

Yeh, that's ringing bells as well

Grim Reaper 30-10-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15478881)
Belinda Carlisle .

:love:

ElwissAtMemphis 30-10-2020 05:44 PM

Wasn't Terry Howard the Orient player who was sacked at half-time by John Sitton in a notorious documentary a couple of years later?

Latvian Eagle 30-10-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15479757)
Wasn't Terry Howard the Orient player who was sacked at half-time by John Sitton in a notorious documentary a couple of years later?

Yes.

Vincent 30-10-2020 10:47 PM

Ninja wore contacts didn’t he? Seem to remember he lost one in another game. Can’t for the life of me remember which one.
Great thread by the way.

bubbs11 01-11-2020 07:26 AM

Still unbeaten since the start of the season. That’s 13 league and cup games. Unbelievable achievement by anyone’s standards.

And so this had already become a record breaking season. In fact, 90/91 still holds the record for the best top flight start for a Palace side.

Not only this, but it also equalled the best start to any campaign in any division by a Palace team. Only Terry Venables Palace, in 1978/79 Div 2 side managed to not lose in their first 13 games. It was unlucky 13 for them as they lost their following match, a League Cup tie replay against First Division Aston Villa.

Man Utd at Old Trafford next for the formidable boys of 90/91.

What could possibly go wrong...

Grim Reaper 01-11-2020 09:42 PM

After getting 4 points off United the previous season, the trip to OT wasn't dreaded although we knew it wouldnt be easy either. I saw a draw as very possible.

Bipe 02-11-2020 08:04 AM

I suppose we'd better get this damned fixture out of the way then.

3 November 1990, Wankers 2 Palace 0

The Wankers may have picked up their first trophy of the Ferguson era against us in the cup final but they were still far from being a force to be reckoned with in the league. The opening 10 games had seen them pick up a mediocre 14 points including 4 defeats, and they sat below both us and neighbours Man City in the table. Leaders Liverpool were already a speck on the horizon, 14 points ahead of the Wankers.

That defeat at Wembley still rankled with me (who am I kidding, it still rankles 30 years later), and my bitterness was compounded by the fact that the TV companies had decided to make a 'thing' of the Wankers' return to European competition. In the early rounds of the Cup Winners' Cup they enjoyed a succession of easy draws against obscure teams no-one had ever heard of like 'Videotown' and 'Pesky Monkeys', it seemed someone had invented these non-entities specifically to give the Wankers an easy ride towards the final. Their away ties in some God-forsaken corner of Eastern Europe invariably seemed to be played in the afternoon - as luck would have it I was studying for exams at work and had Wednesday afternoons at home for this purpose, so would tune in in the forlorn hope of watching the Wankers get their comeuppance. Every time they progressed the feeling that 'it should have been us' got stronger.

As far as our game was concerned, we surrendered our unbeaten run with a whimper, a really disappointing performance against a team that should have been there for the taking. It had to end sometime of course but to happen against that lot was stomach churning to say the least.

Looking forward to seeing the line-ups for both teams if possible.

N Herts Eagle 02-11-2020 08:19 AM

I did not go to Manchester. Yet the defeat is etched on my brain i can tell you where I was Luton near the sirport in the car travelling towards Hitchin. When i heard the final score.
Now over the years i have seen us lose i have heard of defeats on the radio. A few very important ones relegation for instance i can say the same.
This is the measure of the season to me this defeat the first is etched in my brain.

Maiden Eagle 02-11-2020 08:53 AM

It was pretty much like the Wolves game, the other night, wasn't it ?

Moan Utd got 2 early goals and that was more or less, it.

bubbs11 02-11-2020 09:13 AM

MAN UTD 2. Webb. Wallace
PALACE 0

Man Utd: Sealey. Bruce. Pallister. Irwin. Blackmore. Ince. McClair. Phelan. Sharpe. Webb. Wallace. Subs: L Martin (for Wallace)

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Thompson & Pardew (unused)

Att: 45,724

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/E79321F2...A20106B.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/576F84D7...C25D6B7.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/161E1456...C0FDF38.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/003C2413...8D89C3B.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/952AAC47...D5C9412.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/7F76357D...140A0EC.md.jpg

bubbs11 02-11-2020 09:37 AM

I made the trip to Manchester by coach (quite an emotional one on a personal level but will talk about that later). The match was just hugely disappointing. They totally done a job on us and we never really had a sniff all afternoon. Just felt like there was a red brick wall in front of us. Definitely signs of what was to come from Fergie’s Man U. But at this stage, one week they’d be awful the next brilliant, and unfortunately, we picked the wrong week to play them.

Both goals came early on and the game was done and dusted by about the 20th minute. Both goals in front of the delirious Stretford End. The first, a Webb side foot shot slotting it past Martyn, although appeared to take a deflection off Thorn I think as Martyn seemed to dive the other way. The second was little Danny Wallace rounding Martyn and tapping home. Just to rub our noses in it I’m sure, they brought on Lee Martin as sub!

We took a hell of a lot of support there, 4,000 by what the report said. Have a very good memory of the end of the game as the United fans in the seats above us taunted us and lorded their victory on their way out; we suddenly and spontaneously started singing, ‘5-1, you lost to City 5-1’. They went absolutely beserk which of course made us do it even more and with gusto. United had been thrashed by their mediocre neighbours the previous season and us bringing it up obviously hit a nerve. It was almost as if we’d mentioned something we shouldn’t - a family matter that no one should use to wind them up, but having been frustrated for 90mins and humiliated by their fans we pulled out a trump card from somewhere. Felt hugely satisfying as you could see how much it upset them. :)

Looking at Coppell’s comments post match, he took it on the chin and wondered, like us all, how we would respond after going August, September and October totally undefeated.

Olympian2 02-11-2020 10:14 AM

Here’s my ticket from the game. I remember it just as bubbs describes. Webb, Wallace early doors, both at the Stretford End, far end from us. We didn’t have a sniff.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1beb86c745.jpg

SA Eagle 02-11-2020 12:17 PM

My main memory of the game is that it cemented my hatred of Steve Bruce from the replay; midway through the second half he and Wright went for the ball shoulder to shoulder and Bruce just flung himself full length forward and topped it off with a few rolls, to buy the free kick (Wright may even have got booked but I'm not sure). A possee of angry Palace players came to confront him, making their feelings quite clear about his play acting, and the utter **** had the cheek to act innocent and claim he'd done nothing wrong. From that day on I despised the man, and was in no way surprised by his behaviour upon leaving us.

Bipe 02-11-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15486320)
My main memory of the game is that it cemented my hatred of Steve Bruce from the replay; midway through the second half he and Wright went for the ball shoulder to shoulder and Bruce just flung himself full length forward and topped it off with a few rolls, to buy the free kick (Wright may even have got booked but I'm not sure). A possee of angry Palace players came to confront him, making their feelings quite clear about his play acting, and the utter **** had the cheek to act innocent and claim he'd done nothing wrong. From that day on I despised the man, and was in no way surprised by his behaviour upon leaving us.

I remember that now and as you say one thing we had in those days was a group of players who were very prepared to stick up for each other. Interesting contrast to the current squad when the players largely stand about passively watching whenever Zaha is getting some treatment. McCarthy seems the only one who likes to get in there and give some back on a regular basis.

Latvian Eagle 02-11-2020 12:42 PM

And a week later, this was my first ever Away game. One image that always sticks in my mind, and U have never been to Old Trafford since, but watching the game, the ground seemed very dark.

bubbs11 03-11-2020 04:18 AM

Please feel free to skip this post as it is quite long and self indulgent, but
seeing as others have also shared personal stuff in this thread, I thought I’d tell you about a very emotional connection me and my brother had concerning this game at Old Trafford.

Our Uncle and his family lived in Stretford Manchester and he was a huge Man United fan, going every week with his mates and stood on the Stretford End. My mum was very close to her younger brother so we grew up spending our holidays in Manchester (how’s your luck!) staying with him, and he would always come down to London to see us. Me and my brother really looked up to him - he was a larger than life character, and we couldn’t wait to see him each time. My older brother and mum had lived in Stretford themselves for the first 5 years of my brother’s life before moving to Croydon, and so our Uncle had indoctrinated him into being a Red Devil and the love of all things United. When we visited we’d inevitably be taken to Old Trafford and got to see a few memorable games in the late 70’s/early 80’s, stood on the Stretford end in the middle of the madness.

My uncle tried desperately to turn me into a United fan and was bemused why I would support a team like Palace. I think secretly he admired my loyalty but it didn’t stop me and my beloved club being the butt of his gentle ribbing every time we saw him. In the early 80’s there was a lot to joke about when it came to Palace. He would gleefully introduce me to his Mancunian mates, ‘Here’s my young nephew - guess what? he’s a Crystal Palace fan!’ at which point they’d laugh - loudly! Talk about making a kid feel insecure. It was all in jest of course and it makes me smile when looking back.

In the summer of 1984, unfortunately tragedy struck. My Uncle had a very sudden massive heart attack and died on the spot whilst out shopping on his own in the town centre. Luckily a policewoman was nearby and he approached her complaining of chest pains then collapsed and that was that. There was nothing they could do.

He was only 41 and was a 6ft 2inch strapping man with absolutely no previous health issues before. He left his wife and my two young cousins which was the most tragic thing of all - a 4yr old and a 2yr old, and to this day I still can’t believe it happened. Obviously came as a massive shock to my mum, who took it very badly, and me and my brother when we received the news later that day. Well after that, as you can imagine, my brother was so cut up about it he just couldn’t bring himself to go to Old Trafford anymore. His love of Man U was just so tied up with our Uncle.

He still saw himself as a United fan but through the mid 80’s and later, would go every week to Palace games with his mates and me and slowly grew a massive affection and love for Palace as well. Not a problem through the 80’s as a division separated Palace and Man U, but became a real torn in two ways emotional wrench for him come the 90’s.

Anyway, when we played Man U away in the league in 89/90 season, we decided to give it a miss as he didn’t feel ready to go back. However, come this game in 90/91, we decided it was time to finally return to Old Trafford. Six years had passed and it didn’t feel as raw anymore, so we got on one of the many Palace coaches that travelled up north that day. Clearly remember the approach and silence between us entering the stadium car park that day. It was a tough moment, especially for my brother, but it was a ghost that we felt needed putting to bed. It was okay in the end. Watching the match from the away end made it feel almost like another ground in a way. Think standing in the Stretford end where our Uncle would take us would’ve have made it a lot harder.

As a footnote; the last conversation I had with my Uncle was over the phone the week before he died. Funnily enough Steve Coppell had just been appointed Palace manager and I was so excited to talk to my Uncle about our clubs sudden link. So pretty much the last words I recall him saying to me was, ‘Palace are going to be okay now Nick, you’ll see.’ Not sure he believed it to be fair, but damn was he right (for a bit).

Anyway, enough of this - it’s not Simon Bates Our Tune...back to the football!

ExiledStirling 03-11-2020 06:30 AM

Very touching and moving story Nick.

Golf Boy 03-11-2020 06:40 AM

Anyone else remember getting showered with coins from the w@nker ***** above us after the game?

bubbs11 03-11-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 15487128)
Anyone else remember getting showered with coins from the w@nker ***** above us after the game?

No, although I’m guessing it happened after our little ‘5-1 City’ ditty. Get so touchy these Mancs.

SA Eagle 03-11-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Yes

cockles 03-11-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15486114)
I suppose we'd better get this damned fixture out of the way then.

3 November 1990, Wankers 2 Palace 0

The Wankers may have picked up their first trophy of the Ferguson era against us in the cup final but they were still far from being a force to be reckoned with in the league. The opening 10 games had seen them pick up a mediocre 14 points including 4 defeats, and they sat below both us and neighbours Man City in the table. Leaders Liverpool were already a speck on the horizon, 14 points ahead of the Wankers.

That defeat at Wembley still rankled with me (who am I kidding, it still rankles 30 years later), and my bitterness was compounded by the fact that the TV companies had decided to make a 'thing' of the Wankers' return to European competition. In the early rounds of the Cup Winners' Cup they enjoyed a succession of easy draws against obscure teams no-one had ever heard of like 'Videotown' and 'Pesky Monkeys', it seemed someone had invented these non-entities specifically to give the Wankers an easy ride towards the final. Their away ties in some God-forsaken corner of Eastern Europe invariably seemed to be played in the afternoon - as luck would have it I was studying for exams at work and had Wednesday afternoons at home for this purpose, so would tune in in the forlorn hope of watching the Wankers get their comeuppance. Every time they progressed the feeling that 'it should have been us' got stronger.

As far as our game was concerned, we surrendered our unbeaten run with a whimper, a really disappointing performance against a team that should have been there for the taking. It had to end sometime of course but to happen against that lot was stomach churning to say the least.

Looking forward to seeing the line-ups for both teams if possible.

I was very very drunk at the time, saw Bryan Robson & Viv Anderson in the pub before the match.

bubbs11 04-11-2020 01:46 AM

Quote:

Talked to my brother yesterday and he does.

Bipe 05-11-2020 07:50 AM

On 7 November 1990 we travelled to Brisbane Road for our League Cup replay against Orient. As I recall it was a somewhat better performance than in the first game but we still only sneaked home 1-0, Mark Bright notching the goal. This put us into the hat for the last 16 and given our run to the FA Cup final the previous season plus our fantastic start in the league, the scent of Wembley was starting to build once again. We were drawn away to Southampton in the next round, they were languishing in the lower half of the table and just a couple of points off the relegation zone so good prospects to advance.

Polak 05-11-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15490694)
As I recall it was a somewhat better performance than in the first game but we still only sneaked home 1-0, Mark Bright notching the goal.

That was right at the end of the match as well. I went for a slash in preparation for extra time and missed the goal.

Bipe 05-11-2020 07:56 AM

There were three new entries into the top ten for week ending 10 November:

Don't Worry by Kim Appleby - this was Kim's debut solo single following the sad passing of her sister Mel, the dynamic duo having enjoyed several big hits under the tutelage of Stock, Aitken and Waterman. It was a mid-tempo number, not particularly memorable but it got as high as number two.

Fantasy by Black Box - a cover of the Earth Wind And Fire number. The Ride On Timers were starting to run out of steam a little by now.

I'll Be Your Baby Tonight by Robert Palmer and UB40 - UB40 loved a collaboration. This was standard fayre for them with lots of parping reggae horns and an easily shouted chorus. As a group they had a good run really, churning out a strong of hits over 15 years or so before fading into obscurity (and acrimony). I think a version of the band can still be seen at racecourse mini-concerts and such like (when such things are allowed).

Grim Reaper 05-11-2020 11:41 AM

Can't be much longer until Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice, reaches No.1 and then holds on nearly all the way to Christmas!

Couple of good tunes in the 'I'd forgotten about that song' category there Bipe.

"Alexa, play Fantasy by Black Box!"

Grim Reaper 05-11-2020 11:46 AM

For those of you new to the thread, I've put together some clips on SoundCloud from Captital Gold Sport and Radio 2 - commentaries and interviews

Check out the Autumn glory run highlights here

https://soundcloud.com/user-45621062...-match-reports

Go straight to 19 mins to hear the commentary of Jonathan Pearce exploding over the Brighty last minute winner at Leyton Orient.

Grim Reaper 05-11-2020 11:47 AM

And if you needed any more evidence of how much the world was revolving around Gazza at this point in history, while Palace were beating Orient, Gazza was busy turning on the Regent Street lights

bubbs11 06-11-2020 07:44 AM

Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd replay

ORIENT 0
PALACE 1. Bright

Att: 10,158

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: McGoldrick (for Barber). Pardew (unused)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/1EE62AA5...DA1FEF2.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/3F13CD8D...5488B94.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/90E2CA2F...BB7471E.md.jpg

N Herts Eagle 06-11-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15491754)
Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd replay

ORIENT 0
PALACE 1. Bright

Att: 10,158

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: McGoldrick (for Barber). Pardew (unused)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/1EE62AA5...DA1FEF2.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/3F13CD8D...5488B94.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/90E2CA2F...BB7471E.md.jpg

So this is the game we finished with what many would suggest was the team of 90/91. Strange it has taken so long...... We still have to start a game with the 11.

bubbs11 06-11-2020 07:59 AM

I went to this and actually remember it, unlike the first clash.

Was another difficult game and we seem to have hit a bit of a lull in form in the last three. Funny, because in my memory we’d scored in the last minute of extra time, but clearly from the report it was the last minute of normal time. We were feeling pretty embarrassed as Orient really shackled us again and had chances to win it. Their fans then started taunting us very loudly singing, ‘You first division rubbish’, and recall feeling massive relief while waving back at their fans smugly when we scored. It all felt very unjust for them and realised what it felt like to be the ‘big club’ who win a game undeservedly with a bit of quality. A situation we’ve always been on the other end of.

Think we took quite a following that night. We was stood right at the back of their away terrace and felt quite far from the play and especially Bright’s looping headed winner which was up the other end.

The way the season had started, I had a real feeling that this cup was one well within our grasp and looked forward to going to the Dell for the fourth round.

stange555 06-11-2020 08:42 AM

As mentioned earlier in the thread, i was at this game. The game itself is a bit fuzzy, but I do know i had the most awful cup of hot chocolate a ht, put me off it for the rest of my life (so far). My abiding memory though was at the tube station on the way home. A few West Ham chaps had turned up and one stood behind me on the platform, and just lent in and whispered "when the train is coming, I'm going to push you on the tracks".

Sh1t me right up! Needless to say, he didn't.

Grim Reaper 06-11-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 15491792)
A few West Ham chaps had turned up and one stood behind me on the platform, and just lent in and whispered "when the train is coming, I'm going to push you on the tracks".

No matter who you support or whatever your situation, that is a shitty thing to be threatened with. :jerkit:

Bipe 08-11-2020 12:00 PM

Just digested Bubbs' post about his uncle and the Man Utd game...very poignant and I can see why the fixture had such a massive impact and meaning for you. One of the great things about football is how various different clubs and matches get interwoven into your own life story and family history.

Bipe 08-11-2020 02:51 PM

10 November 1990 saw us welcome London rivals Arsenal to Selhurst Park. They were breathing hard down Liverpool's neck at the top of the table and still unbeaten. In fact this season was really when they achieved 'peak George Graham' status, suffering only one league defeat and conceding a miserly 18 goals. In fact on looking at their results for the season this game, a 0-0 draw, was the fifth of six successive clean sheets for the Gunners.

As such this was a big test for us, particularly after the unbeaten run had come to an end at the hands of the Wankers last time out. My recollection is that we acquitted ourselves pretty well in a tight game with few clear cut chances, although Arsenal maybe had the better of things and may have come away frustrated at not sneaking the win. However I tend to get all of our games against Arsenal around this era somewhat muddled in my head so I may be thinking of the following season - certainly I recalled it as an evening game but it clearly wasn't going by the date.

Latvian Eagle 08-11-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15496049)
10 November 1990 saw us welcome London rivals Arsenal to Selhurst Park. They were breathing hard down Liverpool's neck at the top of the table and still unbeaten. In fact this season was really when they achieved 'peak George Graham' status, suffering only one league defeat and conceding a miserly 18 goals. In fact on looking at their results for the season this game, a 0-0 draw, was the fifth of six successive clean sheets for the Gunners.

As such this was a big test for us, particularly after the unbeaten run had come to an end at the hands of the Wankers last time out. My recollection is that we acquitted ourselves pretty well in a tight game with few clear cut chances, although Arsenal maybe had the better of things and may have come away frustrated at not sneaking the win. However I tend to get all of our games against Arsenal around this era somewhat muddled in my head so I may be thinking of the following season - certainly I recalled it as an evening game but it clearly wasn't going by the date.

I think it was a 3pm game, but clearly the nights had started drawing in by that point I think? Certainly on the season review footage the game seems to be almost as if set at an evening time.

jaspercpfc 08-11-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

A massive result for us as Arsenal had won 8/9 out of there first 11 games, and defensively they were such a strong outfit. Salako scored a goal at the back post that was later ruled offside (shame as it was a tidy finish from memory). We were extremely combative and resolute. Limpar had a late one on one but Martyn saved well low down.

jaspercpfc 08-11-2020 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 15496063)
A massive result for us as Arsenal had won 8/9 out of there first 11 games, and defensively they were such a strong outfit. Salako scored a goal at the back post that was later ruled offside (shame as it was a tidy finish from memory). We were extremely combative and resolute. Limpar had a late one on one but Martyn saved well low down.

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachme...1&d=1604847895

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachme...1&d=1604847945

Nth Kent Eagle 08-11-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15490694)
On 7 November 1990 we travelled to Brisbane Road for our League Cup replay against Orient. As I recall it was a somewhat better performance than in the first game but we still only sneaked home 1-0, Mark Bright notching the goal. This put us into the hat for the last 16 and given our run to the FA Cup final the previous season plus our fantastic start in the league, the scent of Wembley was starting to build once again. We were drawn away to Southampton in the next round, they were languishing in the lower half of the table and just a couple of points off the relegation zone so good prospects to advance.

If I recall there were quite large numbers of Palace there that night.

King William 08-11-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

yes.

and also the walk back to piccadilly... was along the tram tracks that were being built at the time.

There was also a train strike / engineering works or something that day, and I remember the night before my dad constantly on the phone to national rail enquiries (or whatever they were called back then) to see if the trains were running. on the Saturday morning we went to EC to meet our mate not knowing if we were going to get there!

SA Eagle 08-11-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Didn’t we have a Salako ‘goal’ disallowed in this one?

wrightchipvcfc 08-11-2020 06:13 PM

Think it was a 3 pm ko the 1 1 draw under dowie was a sat 5 30 ko. what I remember most about this game was arsenal played 5 at the back adding david O'Leary to starting 11 which was unusual in them days salako unlucky to have goal ruled out was very close decision.

Grim Reaper 08-11-2020 06:49 PM

That Salako 'goal' was right in front of me at the Whitehorse End.

Was gutted about that. Even set up a petition at school 'John Was On' was the heading as the top of the sheet. The plan was to send it off the FA to get the offside overturned. Never git that far obviously but the petition got 20 names on it and was pinned up in the common room to wind up the Arsenal fans.

Maybe if I'd done some studying in 6th form rather than be obsessed with Palace I might have passed my A-Levels!

It was a solid showing. Slightly concerning that we'd managed just one goal in four games (inc 2 v Orient) but on the flip side we'd only conceded two in those same four games.

ElwissAtMemphis 08-11-2020 07:01 PM

Not exactly thrilling stuff. If that constituted highlights, I dread to think what ended up on the cutting room floor. Not a single shot on target as far as I can tell and Salako's disallowed goal didn't make the cut. It sounds ike Scandanavian commentary so they were probably only interested in Anders Limpar. My recollection is that it was a dire match anyway.

N Herts Eagle 08-11-2020 07:14 PM

The Arsenal game was what this team was about. Having lost the unbeaten record at least we held firm next time out against the best side in the league. Be interesting to see the side that started as we still have to see the side we all name even appear in a league game.

bubbs11 08-11-2020 07:28 PM

PALACE 0
ARSENAL 0

Att: 28,181

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/AD6C2616...23128D5.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/EE144B68...5FA73D1.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/BB55B044...80DFE5E.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/010C6159...EB04161.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/B8D2B5C3...9DC1917.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/23E774E0...9D4D51F.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/D2CD9AB4...6637408.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/94F8403B...8421766.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/180B92D3...8C9227B.md.jpg

Olympian2 08-11-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15496333)

Not exactly thrilling stuff. If that constituted highlights, I dread to think what ended up on the cutting room floor. Not a single shot on target as far as I can tell and Salako's disallowed goal didn't make the cut. It sounds ike Scandanavian commentary so they were probably only interested in Anders Limpar. My recollection is that it was a dire match anyway.

God, I ******* hated that Arsenal team...

El Aguila 08-11-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 15496077)
If I recall there were quite large numbers of Palace there that night.

I was there, with my usual crowd - quite a few of us made it as we hadn’t played at Brisbane Road in yonks.

Bipe 08-11-2020 07:50 PM

A really congested table, just four points separating Villa in ninth from Derby who are second bottom. Also worth noting that five of the top six are today's "big six" clubs, the only exception being us in there rather than Chelsea!

bubbs11 08-11-2020 08:05 PM

Just remember it being a really tight battle from start to finish and felt we were going to nick it. So left feeling disappointed as for a second we’d thought we’d finally broken them with that Salako goal.

This was the last time we took a point from Arsenal in this particular stint in the top flight. Our next five league meetings ended 0-4, 1-4, 1-4, 1-2, 0-3. Add two League Cup semi’s to that 1-3, 0-2, and you can understand why any Palace fan around that time had an unhealthy hatred for the Gooners.

Looking at the top of the table, it really was extraordinary to have four teams share just two defeats between them after 12 matches. Even Man C in 5th had only lost one as well. Liverpool had only dropped two points by this stage.

On a personal note, I was 18 the day after the 0-0, and my mum decided to have the occasion - to my embarrassment - emblazoned in big letters on the Whitehorse scoreboard at half time.

bubbs11 08-11-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15496398)
A really congested table, just four points separating Villa in ninth from Derby who are second bottom. Also worth noting that five of the top six are today's "big six" clubs, the only exception being us in there rather than Chelsea!

That never even occurred to me. When I think of Man City back then it’s like I’m thinking of a totally different football club.

It’s funny because in my head, Man U today are just a continuation of Busby...Fergie; Liverpool - Shankley...Paisley...Dalglish; I can see the connection; but when I think of Man City and Chelsea today compared to the clubs they were back in the day, they feel like two different entities. Almost like a Wimbledon/MK Dons situation where their clubs were taken over and their name and history were used for a product entirely different.

I know it’s unfair in a way as the other big 4 have also spent extortionate amounts, but I can’t help but see City and Chelsea that way.

Grim Reaper 10-11-2020 09:18 AM

There was still good feeling between Palace and City fans at this stage due to the friebdly join pitch invasion in May.

City were sort of cool, partly off the back of the Madchester music scene, although this was pre-Oasis and the reflected glory that would bring in the mid-90s.

Both of us had got promoted in 89 and were both bombing along at the top of the First Division just two seasons later.

Dixie Eagle 10-11-2020 03:25 PM

I was at the Arsenal match too. In fact I was at most home games and a lot of away games that season so I'm loving this thread.

I was convinced Salako's goal was onside and thought we just about deserved a win. I was pleased we didn't get hammered (maybe that trend came a bit later) but a little disappointed we couldn't quite get the better of them.

QPR away must be coming up soon. Now that was a great day.

Bipe 10-11-2020 04:04 PM

Yes we had a great little run of away games in the run up to Christmas 1990...QPR, Southampton and Man City all live long in my memory. Watch this space...

JJ 11-11-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15498074)
There was still good feeling between Palace and City fans at this stage due to the friebdly join pitch invasion in May.

I used to often see one of the Palace regulars wearing a Citeh home shirt in the years that followed the 2-2 draw.

As per usual, I can't remember a thing about the draw with Arsenal. Our MO at the time seemed to be to regularly lose by 2 or 3 every time we played them, so I suppose at the time a draw would have been seen as a very positive result.

N Herts Eagle 11-11-2020 07:33 AM

We still had not started the team in the league then. It must be soon though.
The result 0 0 was a good result but it interesting the comments that we were pleased not to be beaten. Sure that stems back to the first stint in the First Division where the record for the four seasons was horrendous. We won what only one of 16 games against a London side in the league. Whilst losing 5 1 twice. Only a League Cup win at Highbury and a F A Cup win against Spurs. The second stint was only slightly better. It still lingers even today i never fancy us to beat a London side each time we do it tastes just a little sweeter.

Golf Boy 11-11-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15496333)

Rubbish game that cost 20 quid to get in. Did i hear Limpar correctly in that interview when asked to comment on English football “ The football here is very very poor”