CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990/91 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282360)

Bipe 24-09-2020 07:52 PM

Thanks colonel. I have to confess I'm still struggling to recall it but it certainly ticks all the boxes of that era - Soul II Soul style drum loop, pounding house piano, anthemic chorus etc.

colonel 24-09-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15423228)
Thanks colonel. I have to confess I'm still struggling to recall it but it certainly ticks all the boxes of that era - Soul II Soul style drum loop, pounding house piano, anthemic chorus etc.

As a devotee of the Now albums it was on Now 18 I believe and as you say was very much of its time.

bubbs11 26-09-2020 09:15 AM

Another newspaper report from the Southend game. Wrighty is literally in awe of his future MOTD colleague, and also another example at the start of terms that have since left the mainstream media.

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/9AA0068B...AE62B9A.md.jpg

Bipe 26-09-2020 10:04 AM

Interesting, I don't recall Steve Bull ever being considered as first choice alongside Lineker!

N Herts Eagle 26-09-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15425534)
Interesting, I don't recall Steve Bull ever being considered as first choice alongside Lineker!

Lead up to Italia 90 Bull was pretty much playing every game. In Italia 90 he played 4 games but three were sub appearences. The other forward was Peter Beardsley. Bull played in the October game post Italia 90 but was then dropped by Taylor. Ian Wright played I think in the February game against Cameroon.

salad fan club 26-09-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15362466)
I thought it might be a bit of fun for old farts like to me to take an extended walk down memory lane and reminisce about the seminal 1990/91 season game by game. Alternatively this could die on its arse if no-one is interested but let’s see. The theory is that I will post up a brief summary of each game a day or two before the 30th anniversary date (hard to believe it’s all 30 years ago), and see what reminiscences people have.

Brief context – this was easily the most successful season in the club’s history with a comfortable third place finish and we were in with a realistic shout of winning the bloody thing until a tonking at the hands of eventual champions Arsenal in late February (spoiler alert). We also won the ZDS Trophy, admittedly something of a Mickey Mouse competition but still fantastic to see us winning at Wembley a year after the FA Cup final heartbreak. 1990/91 was certainly the ‘Zenith’ for this team which Steve Coppell had assembled, a collection of cast-offs and lower league bargains alongide a few astute bigger money signings to strengthen in key areas. From memory, we had brought in three players over the summer. John Humphrey came in at right back to replace the popular John Pemberton, who was shunted off to Sheffield United. Eric Young (or ‘Eric Old’ as some Palace fans labelled the 30 year old) arrived to partner his old Wimbledon mate Andy Thorn in the heart of the defence. And another Wimbledon old boy Glyn Hodges was signed to add some creative flair (or so we thought).

From a personal perspective I had turned 18 in the few days between the FA Cup final first game and replay, and after having spent the early part of the summer immersing myself in Italia 90 and the Madchester vibe, I started my first proper job at the beginning of August in the AMP building adjacent to East Croydon station. So the world was my oyster with proper money in my pocket for the first time.

On we go to the first game then, which was on 25 August 1990 away to Luton Town. Again hard to believe now, but Luton were considered a reasonably established top flight outfit then, having gained promotion under David Pleat in the early 80s and stayed put. They’d even won the League Cup in 1988. The game was played in front of a pathetic crowd of 9,583, caused by the ban on away fans which Luton’s extremist right-winger chairman David Evans had imposed. A number of Palace fans did thought infiltrate the stadium, as could be seen when the goals were shown on TV.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw, our goal coming from debutant Eric Young (from memory, a towering header from a corner??). This was deemed a satisfactory result in our opening game as we looked to build on our 15th place finish (out of 22) in the previous season.

Over to you – what memories of this game, and what were your thoughts and feelings as the new season got underway?

Just seen this what a great idea. We went to every game that year although As my memory is poor I don’t remember much. I do remember going to Luton. I used a friends address in HertfordShire to get the tickets, there were a few Palace in there.Hopefully this thread will remind me of our greatest season :lux:

Latvian Eagle 26-09-2020 10:58 AM

Can only dream of us wiping the floor with teams 7 or 8 - 0 these days. Can't remember the last time that happened. Last one that pops into my head was Doncaster 7-1 I think but not sure if any others since then.

ElwissAtMemphis 26-09-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15425568)
Ian Wright played I think in the February game against Cameroon.

He did indeed. And his dream came true, making his England debut alongside Gary Lineker. In his 2 other starts for England as a Palace player he partnered Alan Smith against USSR in May 1991 and Brian Deane against New Zealand in June 1991. They were all friendlies.

The only other time he partnered Lineker was as a substitute away to Hungary in May 1992 by which point he was at Arsenal.

bubbs11 29-09-2020 06:22 AM

On to Derby away.

On this very day 30 years ago, we travelled to the Baseball Ground, winning 2-0 and extending our unbeaten run from that start of the season to seven. Fourth in the table but level on points with second placed Arsenal. It was already feeling like a season like no other.

DERBY 0
PALACE 2 Wright. Bright

Att: 15,202

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Hodges (for Thorn) Thompson (not used)

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/7526D05A...76EF31D.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/02174FB0...705B2E1.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/896AA959...41EFC69.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/8C112F2C...B4FD4BB.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/8A2E93F5...36DA12F.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/6BD4AA64...95459A9.md.jpg

Bipe 29-09-2020 08:15 AM

Thanks Bubbs, I had been somewhat distracted by work issues over the past couple of days so a bit late with the Derby game.

They had been promoted to the top flight a couple of seasons before us but with a quite different strategy, choosing to build their side around a bedrock of experienced top flight operators such as Shilton, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders and Mick Harford. This season it backfired spectacularly for them. They had got off to a terrible start with just two points from their opening six games before playing us, and they won only once in their final 23 league games to finish rock bottom on a measly 24 points.

We now had the Wright and Bright double act up and running. Interesting to see the rest of the line up, a by now rare league start for Pardew in midfield (was Gray injured??) and Barber was still getting in with no sign of Salako. As the brief match reports suggests this was another pretty clinical performance. Nice to read Ian Wright's reflections after the game, revealing his hunger to improve as a player.

I remember both goals in this game quite clearly, Wright nudging the ball past the onrushing Shilton for our first and Bright with a typically canny deflected header, as the article says sliding on his knees to make contact.

Looking at the league table, Liverpool were absolutely flying with 7 straight wins whereas their local rivals Everton looked to be in for a long hard season, stuck in the relegation zone at this early stage. Both teams would pop up in pivotal games for us later in the season.

art malice 29-09-2020 08:21 AM

That first Palace report against Derby leaves readers guessing as to who the ‘former England keeper’ is.

Olympian2 29-09-2020 09:04 AM

I was in my final year at Leicester Poly for this season. It was a useful hub to travel to Midlands games such as this one. I'd been to the Baseball Ground the previous season where we went 1-0 up through Pardew but ended up losing 3-1.

I was behind the goal (Upper Tier, I think) where Brighty scored our 2nd. I don't recall Wrighty's first one but yeah, deffo remember Brighty scoring with a near post header for the 2nd.

Happy train journey back to Leicester, probably listening to The Smiths & Pixies on my Walkman.

Latvian Eagle 29-09-2020 09:09 AM

I just remember as a kid the relief at winning, think we lost both Home and Away against Derby the season before?

N Herts Eagle 29-09-2020 09:13 AM

Simple win and the team were looking do good. Fresh off the win against Southend the firward line of Wright and Bright were now scoring in the league. The issues were small the main disapointment was Hodges who looked anything like fit or suited to the team. Humphrey silenced those missing Pemberton with his unflappable performances. Hodges though was different and having spent big money for us at any rate I for one was wondering why. As its now hindsight this was the Achilles heel of Steve and Ron some great buys Ninja Humphrey Thorn Nigel all successful then the odd failure. This season it did not matter but by next with more money still it starts to bite.
However as it looks the season the results have us flying and life is sweet.

Bipe 29-09-2020 10:20 AM

Shilton was the wrong side of 40 by now and had come in for a fair bit of stick following the World Cup semi final against Germany. Primarily for his inability to take a few steps back and deal with the looping deflection off Paul Parker for the Germans' goal, but many also noted that he dived the right way for every penalty in the shoot out without getting close to saving any one of them. Seemed a bit harsh - they were all very good pens - but I suppose there was an underlying point there about how the old reflexes and reactions start to wane as you move into middle age. I don't think there was much to blame him for in respect of the Wright and Bright goals in this game, although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

In any event, Shilton has recently emerged as something of a crackpot on Twitter with a never ending grudge against Maradona so **** him.

bubbs11 29-09-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15431209)
Shilton was the wrong side of 40 by now and had come in for a fair bit of stick following the World Cup semi final against Germany. Primarily for his inability to take a few steps back and deal with the looping deflection off Paul Parker for the Germans' goal, but many also noted that he dived the right way for every penalty in the shoot out without getting close to saving any one of them. Seemed a bit harsh - they were all very good pens - but I suppose there was an underlying point there about how the old reflexes and reactions start to wane as you move into middle age. I don't think there was much to blame him for in respect of the Wright and Bright goals in this game, although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

In any event, Shilton has recently emerged as something of a crackpot on Twitter with a never ending grudge against Maradona so **** him.

Often wondered after that World Cup semi whether it was a massive oversight by Bobby Robson not to have big Dave Beasant on the bench for the knock out games instead of Chris Woods. Can you imagine Beasant coming on for the penalties? If nothing else it would’ve gave the immaculate penalty taking Germans something to think about.

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15422407)
Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.

Loving this thread for the music as much as the football.

Loved Bassomatic!

Another one to my add to my Alexa 'Pukka' playlist. :p

(Annoyingly my Alexa has been conditioned by a majority of northern accents, so my Hull-born daughters laugh when Alexa says 'Packer' playlist instead of 'Pukka'. Alexa's an idiot)

Others in the Top 20 were Suicide Blonde by INXS if I remember right, plus one by a Dutch DJ/duo called '24/7' although I can't remember the song title. The girl in that act was hot though :love:

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15431209)
although maybe he could have come out more quickly for the opener.

I loved Shilts back in the day - him and Platt were my favourite non-Palace players growing up. Was a shame to see him deteriorate having been such a rock in goal for England for over a decade.

The Wright opener in this game was 100% down to Wrighty's pace - pure and simple. Loved that goal - when your hero is using every ounce of energy and beats the keeper to the ball by 1% like that, it is poetry in motion.

Was banged up on the settee this day. I'd tried to look cool jogging across Trafalgar Square the previous night and slipped in pigeon sh1t. Sprained my ankle. :clown: This win at least gave me some relief from the pain!

4 wins, 3 draws after 7 games was dream stuff!

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15431338)
Loving this thread for the music as much as the football.

plus one by a Dutch DJ/duo called '24/7' although I can't remember the song title. The girl in that act was hot though :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYpqe2B2xo

If you wanted to know what 1990 sounded like this is it. Even the rapper calling himself Captain Hollywood just screams this era

Grim Reaper 29-09-2020 12:13 PM

Original radio commentaries and reports from the start of this epic season can be heard here.

Coverage of Derby away begins at 10:57

https://soundcloud.com/user-45621062...-match-reports

Bipe 29-09-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15431361)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYpqe2B2xo

If you wanted to know what 1990 sounded like this is it. Even the rapper calling himself Captain Hollywood just screams this era

Love that video...the word 'cheap' doesn't really do it justice, looks like it cost them about £50 to make but they had a lot of fun doing it. Probably in the realisation that this was their one shot at 15 minutes of fame.

Bipe 29-09-2020 01:24 PM

Actually it reminds me somewhat of The Apprentice 'this week you're going to be running an ad campaign' episode.

simon 29-09-2020 01:53 PM

I was at Liverpool University back then, and used to make most of the "northern" away fixtures. I was fully intending to go to this match, but woke up in the company of an extremely likeable young lady that I had recently started seeing. The lure of a warm house (they had central heating which was rare for students back then), Ceefax (again rare), a cooked breakfast etc. was simply too much to resist.

Unfortunately her housemate had had a row/split up with her boyfriend so my day was interrupted. Once that was sorted the match had started and I was following it on Ceefax/Radio, and was not to be distracted. A bit of an argument ensued, including a discussion on priorities in life, and that was that. Back to my cold house.

At least Palace had won, which was the main thing.

Mad Max 29-09-2020 07:19 PM

I remember the upper tier was wooden and we used this to great effect to make a hell of a din.

salad fan club 30-09-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15362581)
Thanks Bubbs, that actually sounds similar to the situation my father found himself in last month when he'd wandered into town for a haircut and realised he wasn't going to make it. Luckily a couple of passers by came to his aid and managed to help him home, where he deteriorated and was declared dead about an hour later after immense work from the paramedics to revive him. But I will always be grateful to that couple for taking the time to get him home to be with his wife in his final moments rather than passing away in the street.

Back on topic and I think your scrapbook entries will add some real colour to this thread. Interesting on Salako as my recollection is pretty much the same as yours. He was definitely getting frustrated at the lack of regular game time in the early part of the 89/90 season and he ended up on loan at Swansea where our former assistant Ian Evans was manager. The reports at the time were that this was with a view to a potential permanent transfer. However Ian Wright's leg break in January opened the door for him. I recall that he started up front against Southampton, scored a couple and never really looked back. He certainly played an integral part in both the FA Cup semi and final, playing a more defensive role with great tactical discipline. So it seemed all set up for him to progress in the new season, although I guess the signing of Hodges as a left sided midfielder was a threat to him, albeit that Hodges was a different sort of player and certainly not an out and out winger like Salako.

Sorry just catching up

My condolences re your dad.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 30-09-2020 01:59 AM

Missed this thread until now. Will try to get on board though. I definitely have a scrapbook somewhere - but may take me a while to dig it out.

Bipe 30-09-2020 12:59 PM

I suppose the Derby game illustrated just how Coppell had struck gold with the Wright and Bright partnership. Garry Thompson had done a first rate job as stand-in, firstly for Wright's broken leg at the back end of the previous season and then as Bright regained fitness at the start of this. But in the first league game in which the two of them start, they score a goal each in a 2-0 win.

It really was a magical partnership and probably hard for younger fans to understand why and how it was such a big deal. These days we think we've struck gold if we can find one striker who can give us 15+ goals in a season. But if you look at the stats four the four seasons from 87/88 to 90/91, Wright and Bright delivered 178 goals, pretty evenly spread between the two. In other words say 45 per season or roughly one a game on average including cup games - probably a bit better than that once you take out games missed due to injury. Imagine a world where you turn up to every game with absolute confidence that at least one of your two strikers is likely to score. Poor old Christian Benteke will be turning in his grave at the very thought.

salad fan club 01-10-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15432769)
I suppose the Derby game illustrated just how Coppell had struck gold with the Wright and Bright partnership. Garry Thompson had done a first rate job as stand-in, firstly for Wright's broken leg at the back end of the previous season and then as Bright regained fitness at the start of this. But in the first league game in which the two of them start, they score a goal each in a 2-0 win.

It really was a magical partnership and probably hard for younger fans to understand why and how it was such a big deal. These days we think we've struck gold if we can find one striker who can give us 15+ goals in a season. But if you look at the stats four the four seasons from 87/88 to 90/91, Wright and Bright delivered 178 goals, pretty evenly spread between the two. In other words say 45 per season or roughly one a game on average including cup games - probably a bit better than that once you take out games missed due to injury. Imagine a world where you turn up to every game with absolute confidence that at least one of your two strikers is likely to score. Poor old Christian Benteke will be turning in his grave at the very thought.

Yes it was an amazing time I remember being confident going to games home or away, always thought we would get something ,sometimes we got lots like v Birmingham we scored 6 either 2 or Maybe even 3 times in a row

Grim Reaper 02-10-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15432769)

Spot on. They got 49 in 49 (1987-88) and then followed up with 58 in 59 the following season to get us up.

Brighty struggled to get up to speed in the First Division - took him until that Millwall game to score in the leagie IIRC yet still ended up on 17 goals for the season in a team threatened with relegation, plus he was without his strike partner from pretty much January onwards. Now we'd go potty for someone scoring 17.

Christ, Ayew was anointed last year for scoring 9!

PemboExpress 02-10-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 15431839)
I remember the upper tier was wooden and we used this to great effect to make a hell of a din.

Yes, this was was my first trip to the Baseball Ground and that's what I remember most about it.

We just seemed on such a roll at the start of this season and the 2-0 win was very comfortable if I recall rightly.

Bipe 04-10-2020 11:11 AM

On 6 October we welcomed Leeds United to Selhurst Park. They had come up as champions the previous season, after having spent the best part of a decade outside the top division. They quickly established themselves as a force to be reckoned with and of course would go on to win the league the following season.

They were something of a mixed bag under Howard Wilkinson, certainly direct at times with Lee Chapman spearheading them up front in a traditional target man role. But the midfield quartet of Strachan, Speed, Batty and McAllister was as good as anything around in those days. Even Chapman to be fair was a better footballer than many gave him credit for, hence why he had slotted nicely into Brian Clough's Forest side for a couple of seasons. One of our short-lived old boys Chris Whyte had developed into a key player at the back for them.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw, Geoff Thomas notching for us with his third goal in four games. I remember it as a pretty tight and highly competitive affair, a draw probably being the fair result. But I await the match report with interest.

art malice 04-10-2020 11:22 AM

I remember it tight too. Leeds fans very noisy. You’d never have guessed they’d win the title the following season.

bubbs11 04-10-2020 04:16 PM

Palace 1. Thomas
Leeds 1. Speed

Att: 22,445

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Gray (Pardew). Hodges (unused)

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/71C7FEBC...A8BD131.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/918F6694...A97F88A.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/9F32E2B9...5332AF9.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/56D9FCC1...D8C285A.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/F84710A8...B92AD11.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/95DCBB54...9343225.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/89472F03...7AD5DBC.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/DF059107...0F0BE0B.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/48400AB5...A08F02E.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/23DFE883...89476C9.md.jpg

bubbs11 04-10-2020 04:22 PM

Was a cracking atmosphere but I found it a very frustrating game. Here were a newly promoted team that already looked like they were an established top flight side. It was a tough scrap from start to finish. They really had the fight about them and you couldn’t help but have grudging admiration for them. Felt we finally slapped them down when Thomas slotted in, only for Leeds to equalise from a corner minutes later.

Worth noting that Liverpool at this point had a 100% record. In fact, up until late February, they’d only lost twice in the league, against us and Arsenal.

Bipe 04-10-2020 05:14 PM

Yes Liverpool started that season like a train, maybe putting lie to the often held view that our win against them at Villa Park had left deep and irredeemable psychological scars. At this stage of the season they seemed to Havelock shrugged that off without too much difficulty and were off and running in pursuit of yet another title.

Quite unusual to have four unbeaten teams after eight games played.

Grim Reaper 04-10-2020 06:19 PM

Decent enough game but also one of many that if we'd turned a home draw into a win, might have fuelled a real title challenge from us rather than 'outside chance' at the title.

Weird to see Luton so high after they'd only escaped relegation with the most outlandish of comebacks in the last two games of the 1990 season (last minute winner v Palace; followed by comeback 3-2 win at Derby after being 2-0 down)

Weird thing I remember from behind the goal in the Whitehorse is the ball bouncing towards an open goal with Gary Speed (also facing the goal) able to clear it. I blamed myself for not screaming "SHOOT!" as he might have instinctively reacted to the shout and smashed it into the goal for a Palace winner. Ahhh the innocence of youth when all you want to do is whatever it takes to help the team.

bubbs11 05-10-2020 04:25 AM

If you look at the picture of Pardew tackling Batty above, isn’t that the Cup Final dance expression Pards is wearing?

bubbs11 05-10-2020 04:38 AM

Other news at this time....

Oct 3

Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.

Little did we know that this historic news would be significant to Palace by the end of the season. Come April, and the whole Uefa cup spot debacle, East Germany were still given four European spots despite no longer existing, meaning England were only given one spot. The English FA, who fought hard and long to get Liverpool’s ban rescinded, didn’t bother to raise this issue with UEFA on behalf of Palace.

Bipe 05-10-2020 09:38 AM

So taking you through the movers and shakers into the top 10 for week ending 6 October 1990:

Blue Velvet by Bobby Vinton - David Lynch movie tie-in as I recall. Somewhat baffling as to why it was so popular second time around, it eventually made it as high as number 2.

So Hard by Pet Shop Boys - one of their most enduring tracks, thanks in the main to the intriguing story-telling nature of the lyrics about infidelity.

The Anniversary Waltz Part One by Status Quo - AKA 'On and off and on again' I think this is the one the Wankers nicked for their cup final song 'Come On You Reds' a few years later. Dominated by a highly annoying keyboard riff earworm.

I Can't Stand It! by Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood - as mentioned by the Grim Reaper on this thread last week, here it is arriving in the top 10 in all its day-glo 1990s glory.

colonel 05-10-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15442749)
If you look at the picture of Pardew tackling Batty above, isn’t that the Cup Final dance expression Pards is wearing?

It's also a challenge that would earn a red card these days...

N Herts Eagle 05-10-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15441812)
Decent enough game but also one of many that if we'd turned a home draw into a win, might have fuelled a real title challenge from us rather than 'outside chance' at the title.

Weird to see Luton so high after they'd only escaped relegation with the most outlandish of comebacks in the last two games of the 1990 season (last minute winner v Palace; followed by comeback 3-2 win at Derby after being 2-0 down)

Weird thing I remember from behind the goal in the Whitehorse is the ball bouncing towards an open goal with Gary Speed (also facing the goal) able to clear it. I blamed myself for not screaming "SHOOT!" as he might have instinctively reacted to the shout and smashed it into the goal for a Palace winner. Ahhh the innocence of youth when all you want to do is whatever it takes to help the team.

Was a disappointment only getting the draw but in context Leeds finished the season in fourth place which showed they were a decent side. One that does not stick in the memory this game. Still we were going strong solid defence decent attack.
Luton fall away during the season they were the local side to me in N Herts had a full back Richard Harvey who i had followed throughout his short career as my first wife a teacher tsught him. England Schoolboy International.
Also at this time Stevenage were another side that i kept an eye on the chairmans wife was one of the team i was in charge of at work. Fridays would see her go shopping for the burgers to cook to spectators. They were already begining the climb through non league ladder.
The kids are growing though the Cup Final shirts i brought the eldest two still did not fit.The picture of the three of them and me wearing the shirts still sits on the bedroom sidetable has done for the last 30 years.
As with Palace the following decade personally brought its highs and lows but life was on a high new house new job role.

Grim Reaper 05-10-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15442946)
The Anniversary Waltz Part One by Status Quo - AKA 'On and off and on again' I think this is the one the Wankers nicked for their cup final song 'Come On You Reds' a few years later. Dominated by a highly annoying keyboard riff earworm.

Funny you should mention this, which I never knew until now.

What I do know from this season is that Spurs' Cup Final (It's Lucky for Spurs) song in conjunction with Chas & Dave, was also a blatant steal of a Chas & Dave song melody that had bombed back in '83. 'London Girl' peaked at Number 63. Never knew that song even existed until I saw it as the musical act on a comedy show on UK Gold years after the event.

Grim Reaper 05-10-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 15443000)
Also at this time Stevenage were another side that i kept an eye on the chairmans wife was one of the team i was in charge of at work. Fridays would see her go shopping for the burgers to cook to spectators. They were already begining the climb through non league ladder.

Love these sort of anecdotes from non-League :p

Olympian2 05-10-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15441419)
Palace 1. Thomas
Leeds 1. Speed

Att: 22,445

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Gray (Pardew)

I bloody remember this game. Came away gutted that Speed had equalised, right in front of us at the Holmesdale.

ElwissAtMemphis 05-10-2020 11:13 PM

The crowds are pretty shit exemplified by the Leeds match all things considered.

Nowadays (pre-Covid) we can pretty well fill the ground but after taking 4-5K Leeds fans into account, that's a pretty shoddy effort. I appreciate people came out of the woodwork for the 'Big' 4 or 5 but for an average match that season, often with Palace in the top 4 and within a win or two of 1st place, a crowd of 14-16K was about par for the course which was piss poor frankly. Particularly if, like me, you'd been brought up with older Palace fans repeatedly going on about our huge "potential" and how we'd become a massive power if we had a decent run in the top flight.

Sorry to be negative but I recall it really disappointing me at the time. Particularly after mouthing off to my northern friends at university about what a sleeping giant we were. It was undoubtedly our best ever season performance wise but the attendances killed the myth of the South-London sleeping giant stone dead.

PemboExpress 05-10-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15440403)
I remember it tight too. Leeds fans very noisy. You’d never have guessed they’d win the title the following season.

Yes they were bloody noisy. Think only Portsmouth and Millwall probably generated more noise. They were obviously getting stronger as evidenced by them winning the league the following season. Now, if only we had signed Rodney Wallace....

Grim Reaper 06-10-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PemboExpress (Post 15444725)
Yes they were bloody noisy. Think only Portsmouth and Millwall probably generated more noise. They were obviously getting stronger as evidenced by them winning the league the following season. Now, if only we had signed Rodney Wallace....

....and Gary Charles....and Mark Walters.

Those three for a combined £3M or so and the title could genuinely have been ours. 1992 was one of those years (much like 2016) where it didn't take a superhuman effort to win it

Lievrpool were on the slide - United were good but not yet peak and Leeds were the ones to capitalise

bubbs11 06-10-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15444694)
The crowds are pretty shit exemplified by the Leeds match all things considered.

Nowadays (pre-Covid) we can pretty well fill the ground but after taking 4-5K Leeds fans into account, that's a pretty shoddy effort. I appreciate people came out of the woodwork for the 'Big' 4 or 5 but for an average match that season, often with Palace in the top 4 and within a win or two of 1st place, a crowd of 14-16K was about par for the course which was piss poor frankly. Particularly if, like me, you'd been brought up with older Palace fans repeatedly going on about our huge "potential" and how we'd become a massive power if we had a decent run in the top flight.

Sorry to be negative but I recall it really disappointing me at the time. Particularly after mouthing off to my northern friends at university about what a sleeping giant we were. It was undoubtedly our best ever season performance wise but the attendances killed the myth of the South-London sleeping giant stone dead.

Yes, this was something that irked Ron Noades no end. He would constantly bemoan the low attendances. Speaking in 2005 he talked about the 90/91 campaign and said, “The thing that annoyed me was we only got 15,000 average gate for that campaign, with the likes of Wright and Bright up front. (It was actually 19,000). The fans never realised the quality of the players we had there at Selhurst Park. And of course Ian Wright moves to Arsenal and is fated as a God in front of 40,000 people turning up every week to watch him, but they never did that at Selhurst. We never actually got the following that I thought we deserved for what we’d actually achieved and the team we were putting out.”

As someone that was there in the boom time of the late 70’s, 52,000 crowd and all, when we hit an average gate of 23,000 for our first top flight campaign, only to then witness it plummet to an average of 6,000 just four years later; I think there were various factors that meant that the 90/91 vintage side weren’t pulling in the crowds as they deserved to do.

Firstly, football attendances took major hits outside the top flight throughout the 80’s due to mainly economic reasons - people just not able to afford to go along anymore due to recession and high unemployment balanced up against the rise in ticket prices. In the 70’s the prices were such that it was literally an afterthought going to a game and taking kids along; by the early 80’s, a lot of people felt they couldn’t justify it, especially if, as in Palace’s case, the football being served up was pretty awful. Of course the constant threat of hooliganism deterred families too.

It’s hard to believe it now with the media and cultural saturation of the game, but in the 80’s, going to football was not seen as appealing and deemed almost a ‘lower class‘ pursuit. There were certainly no Tory MP’s or royalty happily speaking about their allegiance to this or that club as there is today.

Also a big factor I think was that Croydon had begun to have a big migrant population with no history or affiliation with the club or football come to that. Certainly growing up, when I think of all my second generation immigrant mates like myself, who I grew up with; nearly to a man they all supported Liverpool and Man Utd mostly, with a few Spurs and Arsenal. Naturally, their immigrant parents would not be financially affluent, so football would not be something they’d find appealing to take their children to, especially with the strong undercurrent of violence and racism that haunted football back then. My mum and dad had low paid menial jobs and my dad, who did enjoy football, still had to pick and choose what games to go to as he just couldn’t afford to take two children to games every week. I was lucky though, because my best mate at the time was a huge Palace fan as well, and his dad kindly let me tag along to all the games with them, not just Selhurst, but up and down the country too.

Anyway, come the late 80’s when the Coppell revolution was in full swing, there just wasn’t the large loyal fan base there to attend week in week out. Of course the very big games against the Man U’s and Liverpool‘s would fill Selhurst, but we still struggled in 90/91 in an evening League Cup game to top 10,000. Our biggest win in the club’s recent history - the 8-0 against Southend drew a crowd of just 9,000.

Bipe 06-10-2020 08:15 AM

I've been referring to Wikipedia for the attendance data and it seems they have a different figure to Bubbs' contemporary match reports for every game - the Leeds game is reported as slightly lower at 21,676. I wonder where those figures are coming from.

Another interesting thing to note is that (according to Wiki) our biggest home gate of the season was Vs Southampton in March when nearly 29,000 turned up. I'm assuming that this was triggered by some sort of ZDS Trophy final tickets offer, but I can't actually recall this.

PemboExpress 06-10-2020 08:56 AM

There was a constant rumour during these pre all-seater stadia that every club under-declared their attendances in order not to pay as much tax.

I don't know how much that was true in Palace's case but there were times I come away from the ground not believing the declared attendance when compared against other games and attendances.

In saying that, we should have been attracting bigger crowds than we were given the success we were having.

art malice 06-10-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PemboExpress (Post 15444931)
There was a constant rumour during these pre all-seater stadia that every club under-declared their attendances in order not to pay as much tax.

I don't know how much that was true in Palace's case but there were times I come away from the ground not believing the declared attendance when compared against other games and attendances.

In saying that, we should have been attracting bigger crowds than we were given the success we were having.

The announcement of the attendance always got a laugh.

Olympian2 06-10-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15444419)
Funny you should mention this, which I never knew until now.

What I do know from this season is that Spurs' Cup Final (It's Lucky for Spurs) song in conjunction with Chas & Dave, was also a blatant steal of a Chas & Dave song melody that had bombed back in '83. 'London Girl' peaked at Number 63. Never knew that song even existed until I saw it as the musical act on a comedy show on UK Gold years after the event.

Point of order. As a massive Chas & Dave fan, I must point out that the song is 'London Girls' :p

bubbs11 06-10-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15444904)
I've been referring to Wikipedia for the attendance data and it seems they have a different figure to Bubbs' contemporary match reports for every game - the Leeds game is reported as slightly lower at 21,676. I wonder where those figures are coming from.

Another interesting thing to note is that (according to Wiki) our biggest home gate of the season was Vs Southampton in March when nearly 29,000 turned up. I'm assuming that this was triggered by some sort of ZDS Trophy final tickets offer, but I can't actually recall this.

Well Wiki definitely cannot be trusted.

My attendance figures come from match reports from the time and verified by the gate recorded in our official programmes from that season. I’ve even triple checked in Ian King’s brilliant Complete Record book.

The Southampton gate was 14,439 :D

Mad Max 06-10-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15445022)

My attendance figures come from match reports from the time and verified by the gate recorded in our official programmes from that season. I’ve even triple checked in Ian King’s brilliant Complete Record book.

My newspaper cutting shows 14,529 :supergrin:

Bipe 06-10-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15445022)

What the hell...I did think it odd as I had no recollection of such a bumper gate for this random fixture. I will give up referring to those numbers then.

wrightchipvcfc 06-10-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15444694)

Sorry to be negative but I recall it really disappointing me at the time. Particularly after mouthing off to my northern friends at university about what a sleeping giant we were. It was undoubtedly our best ever season performance
wise but the attendances killed the myth of the South-London sleeping giant stone dead.

Big difference now is you can fill ground up with premier league tourist that market wasn't realy there in noades era have a look at palaces cup gates last 6 7 years there still poor even against Liverpool and spurs .

Grim Reaper 06-10-2020 01:00 PM

I'll just add this re. the gates. These figures are the top of my head but are roughly right

Palace ave gates

1988-89 - 10000
1989-90 - 17000
1990-91 - 19000

It was a fact that Palace's increase in the 1990 was the largest % jump in the entire league. The fact the average jumped another 2000 on top of that meant our crowds had nearly doubled in two years and trebled since the mid-80s. That was a decent turnaround in a time when football was still recovering from the nadir of 1985.

Yes, we had some low crowds for a number of games (the Lutons, Coventrys, Derbys ect.) but the facts were that football was still only 12-24 months removed from Hillsbrough, an absolute shocking occurence which came a time when hooliganism was still around (but on the decline) and as a sport it still wasn't fully family-friendly.

I do admire some of the crowd numbers we get now for football that is worse than 1991 and way, way more expensive. The general marketing of the game for 30 years has been amazing and that needs to be factored in when comparing 2020 to 1990.

El Aguila 06-10-2020 01:38 PM

I never had a season ticket, you could always pay on the day. I miss that.

Mad Max 06-10-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15445488)
I never had a season ticket, you could always pay on the day. I miss that.

I was 41 years a shift worker and only had one in four Saturday`s off so could never be a season ticket holder and always felt a lesser fan because of it.I always was a member of lifeline etc to try and make up for it.

art malice 06-10-2020 02:36 PM

I never had a season ticket in those days as I always stood on the Holmesdale and there was no option to reserve a crush barrier

Sodermalm 06-10-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15445746)
I never had a season ticket in those days as I always stood on the Holmesdale and there was no option to reserve a crush barrier

I think the Arthur enclosure was £130

PemboExpress 06-10-2020 11:26 PM

Yes the cost of football certainly changed between 1990 and 1994.

I had a season ticket in 1990 but I obviously recall the Villa Park Semi Final (£7 on the Holte End Terrace) and our trip to United in the 90/91 season (£5 to stand in the away end).

By the time we got to the 1994 Villa Park FAC SF and replay it was £38 a pop!

ElwissAtMemphis 07-10-2020 01:33 AM

While on the subject of attendances, here's our average league attendances starting from our first promotion to Division 2 for the 1964/65 season.

I wish I could format it better but it'll have to do...

Code:

Season    Div  Pos    Attendance
2019            1        12        25,455
2018            1        11        25,063
2017            1        14        25,161
2016            1        15        24,825
2015            1        10        24,421
2014            1        11        24,114
2013            2        5        17,280
2012            2        17        15,219
2011            2        20        15,351
2010            2        21        14,771
2009            2        15        15,220
2008            2        5        16,031
2007            2        12        17,541
2006            2        6        19,457
2005            1        18        24,108
2004            2        6        17,344
2003            2        14        16,867
2002            2        10        18,121
2001            2        21        17,061
2000            2        15        15,662
1999            2        14        17,123
1998            1        20        21,983
1997            2        6        16,085
1996            2        3        15,248
1995            1        19        14,992
1994            2        1        15,365
1993            1        20        15,748
1992            1        10        17,618
1991            1        3        19,660
1990            1        15        17,105
1989            2        3        10,655
1988            2        6        9,746
1987            2        6        7,583
1986            2        5        6,787
1985            2        15        6,446
1984            2        18        8,199
1983            2        15        9,887
1982            2        15        10,381
1981            1        22        19,280
1980            1        13        29,794
1979            2        1        23,294
1978            2        9        19,636
1977            3        3        16,106
1976            3        5        20,124
1975            3        5        17,274
1974            2        20        21,797
1973            1        21        30,167
1972            1        20        26,973
1971            1        18        28,889
1970            1        20        29,901
1969            2        2        19,874
1968            2        11        17,141
1967            2        7        18,100
1966            2        11        14,809
1965            2        7        18,232

Note the average attendance of 29,794 in 1980 that dropped to 6,446 just 5 years later. I'd be surprised if any other club has had such a catastrophic haemorrhaging of support in so short a time.

For the season that we're remembering, the average attendance only increased by about 2,500 from a season where it felt like relegation was a genuine possibility up until Easter to a campaign when (absurd though it may sound) we had an outside chance of winning the bloody thing at some points. And yes I know we all knew that it was never going to happen but to a totally impartial observer from another country who had no idea about the competing clubs' recent histories, there were a couple of points when just 3 or 4 wins on the trot would have put us right in contention to actually finish within touching distance of the title. However, apart from the inevitable visits of Spurs and Man Utd, we never managed to get more than 20 sodding thousand through the gates in the 2nd half of that season yet we only finshed 7 points behind 2nd place.

JJ 08-10-2020 07:27 AM

Blimey, we dropped 10,000 from 1980 to 1981 in Division 1 - shows how utterly crap we were that year (it was also the year I was deemed old enough to start going to Palace games having called myself a fan since around 1974, so clearly it's all my fault.)

Those crowds in 85-87 were shocking! Even from 90-93 in Div.1/Prem it wasn't exactly bursting at the seams, was it.

Ardent Eagle Forever 08-10-2020 08:24 AM

Seem to remember Chelsea gates early to mid eighties were poor also.

Remember going to the bridge for a palace Chelsea game with kevin mabbutt in the team. Seem to remember that the gate was only 5-6k.

Bipe 08-10-2020 08:35 AM

It's amazing when you see some of the footage of 1980s goals on Twitter and whatnot, just how sparsely populated the terraces were. The other day I noticed a goal scored by Romeo Zondervan in an away fixture for Ipswich, back in the days when they were consistently one of the top teams in the league. There must have been all of 150 away fans jumping around in celebration. In addition some England games at Wembley in the mid to late 1980s attracted pitifully low attendances.

Anyway back on topic, and on 9 October 1990 we travelled to Roots Hall for the second leg of our league cup tie. Of course our 8-0 rout in the first leg made this game academic and I didn't bother with it. Eric Young and John Salako scored the goals in a 2-1 win, for a crushing 10-1 aggregate result. Quite pleasing in hindsight that our goals were scored by two black players having read David Webb's comments after the first leg earlier on in this thread.

Salako had featured very little in the league up until this stage but as the season wore on he would become an integral part of the first choice 11. It will be interesting to see the full line up for this game, even with the tie completely dead after the first leg I'm still sure we would have fielded a very strong team. That's just the way it worked back in those days.

After this there were no more matches for Palace until 20 October, presumably due to an international break.

N Herts Eagle 08-10-2020 09:13 AM

The game I recall very little about in front of a very small crowd. I gave it a miss too.
You are right about the International break it csme up in the discussion about Ian Wrights call up.
We had got to this point undefeated played some of the stronger sides along the way. By now confidence within on me had grown that rekegation might be avoided. As a Palace fan that was a major point even then. I still dont think I realised though how good the side was. A lot of that though was the strength in depth we had covered injuries exceptionally well. A long season was still ahead and wide positions still had no resolution. Whilst the spine of the side and Humphrey was pretty easy to pick there were questions about the three other wide roles. Shaw at left back was the weak link in defence. He made it his own but we will see latter in the season that Steve was not convinced early on. Hodges was a disappointment I was delighted when he signed but from the first time that night in the pre season at Uxbridge he failed to impress. For us the fee was what our fourth highest paid at the time maybe third and he looked no better than Barber and Pardew in fact maybe worse. Salako was begining to become the player and Eddie recovering still from his long injury lay off. It was not settled.
As for strength in depth Thompson for the front two....Rudi at the back. Looking now it seems madness but remember we had transfers available. Any long term injury you went out brought the replacement the next day.

Bipe 08-10-2020 09:49 AM

We're also into another chart week, so these were the new entrants into the top 10 for week ending 13 October:

Megamix by Technotronic - Were these the 'pump up the jam' bunch? This track must have represented the fag end of their brief moment in the sun, presumably a megamix of tunes as the title subtly suggests.

Have You Seen Her by MC Hammer - the baggy trousered Hammer had enjoyed a massive debut hit with Can't Touch This over the summer, this limp and pointless cover was a more modest success as the novelty started to wear off.

A Little Time by the Beautiful South - I've always had a big problem with this band, lyrically I find them trying too hard to be clever and their song arrangements were twee bordering on middle of the road. Not a fan at all but I'm aware that they had and still have a very loyal fanbase who see Paul Heaton as a master songwriter. This was a huge hit for them, getting all the way to number 1 later in the month.

stange555 08-10-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15447857)
It's amazing when you see some of the footage of 1980s goals on Twitter and whatnot, just how sparsely populated the terraces were. The other day I noticed a goal scored by Romeo Zondervan in an away fixture for Ipswich, back in the days when they were consistently one of the top teams in the league. There must have been all of 150 away fans jumping around in celebration. In addition some England games at Wembley in the mid to late 1980s attracted pitifully low attendances.

Anyway back on topic, and on 9 October 1990 we travelled to Roots Hall for the second leg of our league cup tie. Of course our 8-0 rout in the first leg made this game academic and I didn't bother with it. Eric Young and John Salako scored the goals in a 2-1 win, for a crushing 10-1 aggregate result. Quite pleasing in hindsight that our goals were scored by two black players having read David Webb's comments after the first leg earlier on in this thread.

Salako had featured very little in the league up until this stage but as the season wore on he would become an integral part of the first choice 11. It will be interesting to see the full line up for this game, even with the tie completely dead after the first leg I'm still sure we would have fielded a very strong team. That's just the way it worked back in those days.

After this there were no more matches for Palace until 20 October, presumably due to an international break.

I was at the Roots Hall game, I may be wrong, but a think Salako scored an absolute belter.

Grim Reaper 08-10-2020 12:06 PM

A bit of Palace trivia for you - Southend away also marked the debut of some youth player by the name of Gareth Southgate.

Grim Reaper 08-10-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15447854)

Remember going to the bridge for a palace Chelsea game with kevin mabbutt in the team. Seem to remember that the gate was only 5-6k.

No game against Palace ever went below 13000 in that era away v Chelsea.

We did beat them away back then in 82 only to lose the home game not long afterwards

stange555 08-10-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15448122)
A bit of Palace trivia for you - Southend away also marked the debut of some youth player by the name of Gareth Southgate.

It was either that game, or Leyton Orient (away in the LC) that Glyn Hodges was spelt Glyn Honges in the programme, for me, that was his name after that.

Grim Reaper 08-10-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 15448147)
It was either that game, or Leyton Orient (away in the LC) that Glyn Hodges was spelt Glyn Honges in the programme, for me, that was his name after that.

:D

Love it

wrightchipvcfc 08-10-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15447857)

Think salako had broke his hand in the Norwich game you can see his hand tapped up playing against forest in the pictures on previous pages think that's why he might have missed games also around this time Andy gray was not always in the team as I think he had suffered a close family bereavement and was probaly given time off understandably.

Andrew Aitchison 08-10-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15447854)

Don't think the gates at Chelsea ever got quite that bad, but I do remember going there for an evening game that we won with a crowd of about 12k.

wrightchipvcfc 08-10-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Aitchison (Post 15448236)
Don't think the gates at Chelsea ever got quite that bad, but I do remember going there for an evening game that we won with a crowd of about 12k.

We beat Chelsea at night in 1982 2 1 with goals from mabbutt and Murphy crowd was 13 894 remember there wasn't that many palace in away end that night .it was a rearranged game from December think Chelsea used the original date programme so money must have been tight for Chelsea at this time .

bubbs11 08-10-2020 07:39 PM

SOUTHEND 1. Angell
PALACE 2 Young. Salako

(10-1 to Palace on aggregate)

Att: 5,199

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Southgate (for Young). Pardew (for Thomas)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/F89C319D...65E3BCE.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/B1D2301A...65FCC40.md.jpg

From Coppell’s programme notes in next home game:
https://s8.gifyu.com/images/04DC4BD8...15943A7.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/B1CE96F8...0078529.md.jpg

———————————————————————————————————————————

England call up for Wright

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/8842805D...C7B8B26.md.jpg

Olympian2 08-10-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15448567)
SOUTHEND 1. Angell
PALACE 2 Young. Salako

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Southgate (for Young). Pardew (for Thomas)

8-0 up from the 1st leg & we still stuck the 1st XI out. :supergrin: :supergrin:

Paulinmorden 08-10-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15446542)
While on the subject of attendances, here's our average league attendances starting from our first promotion to Division 2 for the 1964/65 season.

I wish I could format it better but it'll have to do...

Code:

Season    Div  Pos    Attendance
2019            1        12        25,455
2018            1        11        25,063
2017            1        14        25,161
2016            1        15        24,825
2015            1        10        24,421
2014            1        11        24,114
2013            2        5        17,280
2012            2        17        15,219
2011            2        20        15,351
2010            2        21        14,771
2009            2        15        15,220
2008            2        5        16,031
2007            2        12        17,541
2006            2        6        19,457
2005            1        18        24,108
2004            2        6        17,344
2003            2        14        16,867
2002            2        10        18,121
2001            2        21        17,061
2000            2        15        15,662
1999            2        14        17,123
1998            1        20        21,983
1997            2        6        16,085
1996            2        3        15,248
1995            1        19        14,992
1994            2        1        15,365
1993            1        20        15,748
1992            1        10        17,618
1991            1        3        19,660
1990            1        15        17,105
1989            2        3        10,655
1988            2        6        9,746
1987            2        6        7,583
1986            2        5        6,787
1985            2        15        6,446
1984            2        18        8,199
1983            2        15        9,887
1982            2        15        10,381
1981            1        22        19,280
1980            1        13        29,794
1979            2        1        23,294
1978            2        9        19,636
1977            3        3        16,106
1976            3        5        20,124
1975            3        5        17,274
1974            2        20        21,797
1973            1        21        30,167
1972            1        20        26,973
1971            1        18        28,889
1970            1        20        29,901
1969            2        2        19,874
1968            2        11        17,141
1967            2        7        18,100
1966            2        11        14,809
1965            2        7        18,232

Note the average attendance of 29,794 in 1980 that dropped to 6,446 just 5 years later. I'd be surprised if any other club has had such a catastrophic haemorrhaging of support in so short a time.

For the season that we're remembering, the average attendance only increased by about 2,500 from a season where it felt like relegation was a genuine possibility up until Easter to a campaign when (absurd though it may sound) we had an outside chance of winning the bloody thing at some points. And yes I know we all knew that it was never going to happen but to a totally impartial observer from another country who had no idea about the competing clubs' recent histories, there were a couple of points when just 3 or 4 wins on the trot would have put us right in contention to actually finish within touching distance of the title. However, apart from the inevitable visits of Spurs and Man Utd, we never managed to get more than 20 sodding thousand through the gates in the 2nd half of that season yet we only finshed 7 points behind 2nd place.

Just caught up with this great thread, thanks to all. Just looking at the figures above. What 5 years did I have the time and money to go to all bar 1 or 2 games per season? Yep 1982 to 1986!

November85 08-10-2020 10:56 PM

Only just discovered this thread. Love it. I was 13 this season, so didn't fully appreciate how special it was.

Grim Reaper 09-10-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by November85 (Post 15448915)
Only just discovered this thread. Love it. I was 13 this season, so didn't fully appreciate how special it was.

I was 17-18 when this was all happening (great age in some respects to have your heroes being so good) but also wish I was just one or two years older.

Did nearly every home game but really wish I was at the stage of going to more away games, other than just a couple of them.

Used to watch and record the highlights of Spurs, QPR, Southampton etc at half time on The Match on a Sunday and the bundles behind the goals celebrating just looked phenomenal. Then watched our 30 second segment again once the live game had finished.

Still makes me laugh that a poor Ian Wright shot from miles out at QPR, bounced horribly off Paul Parker and then the post to us in the lead and it was credited as a Wright goal. If that wasn't an o.g. I don't what is!? :D

El Aguila 09-10-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 15445738)
I was 41 years a shift worker and only had one in four Saturday`s off so could never be a season ticket holder and always felt a lesser fan because of it.I always was a member of lifeline etc to try and make up for it.

I never had the lump sum required to get a season ticket. I was working in a warehouse and earning a pretty miserable sum. I think I ended up going to all the home games, that season, all the same, and two or three away games.

Maidstoned Eagle 10-10-2020 10:07 AM

I was going through a bit of a drug induced breakdown this season, went to many of the games but can remember **** all about them, only way I know I was there is the dog eared programmes I had.

Grim Reaper 10-10-2020 10:26 AM

You picked the wrong year for that mate. 1982-85 were the years to be drugged up for Palace

Bipe 10-10-2020 11:52 AM

Watching the likes of David Price, Chris Jones and Trevor Aylott ply their trade was certainly akin to a hallucinogenic experience.

N Herts Eagle 10-10-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15449156)
I never had the lump sum required to get a season ticket. I was working in a warehouse and earning a pretty miserable sum. I think I ended up going to all the home games, that season, all the same, and two or three away games.

I was the reverse having struggled throughout the 80s. Young family with a mortgage life was pretty much a constant struggle. Not helped by interest rates that went up and down.
But work wise i had started on a series of promotions at the end of the 80s. By this season i was moved yet again this time to tackle a role and lead a team that needed help. It was long long hours fairly constantly and still being paid overtime. All the budgetting for the house had been done on basic wage. So end of each month Overtime was a bonus helped by year end one months overtime had paid for the Cup Final tickets and a season ticket for the first time in years.
The cars were still rubbish though and the 2CV FSO days were about to be replaced with a Lada. I knew a good car when I saw one just couldnt afford it. Truth be told the trusted Lada only broke down once.
The Holmesdale Terrace high up by the floodlight was where me and my long time Palace companion watched this season unfold. Betting on Young as first goalscorer plus one other we had a successful season. He has since died a few years ago but it was great times. The decade saw highs and lows for Palace and life pretty much followed that pattern. This season though was a high both on the pitch and life well except the Lada.

art malice 10-10-2020 02:16 PM

Was this the season we always kicked into the Main Stand from the kick-off? Had to be for a bet surely?

N Herts Eagle 10-10-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15450957)
Was this the season we always kicked into the Main Stand from the kick-off? Had to be for a bet surely?

Certainly around this time. Betting at one time you could only book a minimum of a treble on football games. Three different games this came in i think around the time of the 60s. Betting only then in shops. Latter changes were made to single games on TV. Around this time betting at the game started. As i only put a bet on football at games i attended i am a bit hazy on exactly when the betting started at Selhurst. I dont remember though ever having a chance to bet on the first throw time or side. Occasionally played corners with a few fans around ours was for a designated corner four in the pool first and last corner was the winner.

Grim Reaper 10-10-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15450957)

I know what you mean but I don't think that bet you are referring to became 'a thing' until the sports spread betting markets got bigger later in the 90s. Pretty sure I read Le Tissier was part of it for Southampton and saw it as a victimless crime.

I genuinely think it was a tactic to try and get something going down the wing straight fro the kick off.

bubbs11 11-10-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15451004)
I know what you mean but I don't think that bet you are referring to became 'a thing' until the sports spread betting markets got bigger later in the 90s. Pretty sure I read Le Tissier was part of it for Southampton and saw it as a victimless crime.

I genuinely think it was a tactic to try and get something going down the wing straight fro the kick off.

Sure I recall Coppell being asked about this, and think he said something along the lines of it just being a simple way of pressing the opposition back deep in their half and you’re instantly facing forward towards their goal. If your winger does get the ball when we did it, happy days - you’re right on the attack, but if not, no harm done.

He didn’t place much importance to it. Just said you had to do something from kick off and thought this was better than passing it about in your own half or even back to the keeper to boot out when you’ll be facing the wrong way.

I do recall when playing Arsenal at home once, Tony Adams started in the full back position and prevented the ball from getting to our winger or going out and headed the ball forward. Don’t remember any other clubs making any provisions.

bubbs11 11-10-2020 01:43 PM

And so we reach the international break with Martyn and Wright joining the England squad for their first qualifying match for the 1992 European Championships. Neither Palace boys featured in the game, which England won 2-0 with Lineker and Beardsley supplying the goals.

Nevertheless, TWO Palace players in the full England squad was a first. Three more would soon follow.

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/71BA6A14...EE3BD9B.md.jpg

N Herts Eagle 11-10-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15451909)
And so we reach the international break with Martyn and Wright joining the England squad for their first qualifying match for the 1992 European Championships. Neither Palace boys featured in the game, which England won 2-0 with Lineker and Beardsley supplying the goals.

Nevertheless, TWO Palace players in the full England squad was a first. Three more would soon follow.

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/71BA6A14...EE3BD9B.md.jpg

There is a point on this. It was Taylors first squad after Robson left. There was some ďiscussion regarding strikers including the addition of Wright. In my memory i think Robson said he was considering Wright for a potential striker for the World Cup squad but injury the two broken legs the previous season meant it never happened.

Grim Reaper 11-10-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15451863)
Sure I recall Coppell being asked about this, and think he said something along the lines of it just being a simple way of pressing the opposition back deep in their half and you’re instantly facing forward towards their goal. If your winger does get the ball when we did it, happy days - you’re right on the attack, but if not, no harm done.

He didn’t place much importance to it. Just said you had to do something from kick off and thought this was better than passing it about in your own half or even back to the keeper to boot out when you’ll be facing the wrong way.

I do recall when playing Arsenal at home once, Tony Adams started in the full back position and prevented the ball from getting to our winger or going out and headed the ball forward. Don’t remember any other clubs making any provisions.

From memory I remember this nearly coming off one time. Think it must
have been 1989 season as I was on the Holmesdale watching it. Plenty of laughs in the crowd with banter along the lines of "F*ck me, it nearly worked!!"

When Pulis took over at Gillingham in '95, he had a policy of ex-Palace and QPR striker Dennis Bailey take the ball from the kick off to start the game/half and try and score goal of the season.

He literally would dribble with no intention of passing - the whole crowd knew it was coming and the feeling was that if it ever worked it would be the greatest goal in Gills history. A couple of times I saw him beat 2-3 players and make it to the edge of the area before finally getting stopped.

You didn't dare be late for kick off just in case :D

Grim Reaper 17-10-2020 12:06 PM

Just like in real life, the international break has caused this thread to lose momentum!

Next up was Everton away. A 0-0 draw at Goodison Park was a marked improvement on the 0-4 we suffered there the previous March. Thorny hit the bar with a header if I recall correctly. It kept the unbeaten run going and put us on a record of P9 W4 D5.

As solid a start as we'd dare hope for but four draws in the last five games meant there was still a degree of doubt as to how good this team actually was.

N Herts Eagle 17-10-2020 12:26 PM

The Everton game I missed but the result was pretty decent still undefeated. Strange they will figure latter in the season and often games against them end up in battles more than games.
As said it was a strong start undefeated points on the board. Progress in League Cup how good the side was really was secondary at this point. It was more to me we are not going to get relegated and could end up middle of the table. That was a result as far as I was concerned. But the longer the start went on the more fun games became.

wrightchipvcfc 17-10-2020 01:45 PM

Remember it was a poor game to watch very little goal mouth action can't remember the everton midfielder who normally made things happen for them pardew done a good job on him keeping him quite

Grim Reaper 17-10-2020 08:20 PM

Robert Warzycha?

jaspercpfc 17-10-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15460640)
Robert Warzycha?

Warzycha only joined a month before the ZDS final from memory so my guess the midfielder may be Kevin Sheedy or Mike Millagan. Beagrie was always a tricky winger for them.

bubbs11 17-10-2020 09:42 PM

EVERTON 0
PALACE 0

Att: 24,504

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Gray (Barber). McGoldrick (unused)

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/6ADF4B74...12DBCD2.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/18123FDF...C850C1E.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/74CCB397...6003E80.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/D35BECC4...106E9C4.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/BFCDD8B7...CDEFC24.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/D8A9ECFD...19C4FD9.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/71334763...5FA241C.md.jpg

jaspercpfc 17-10-2020 09:53 PM

The 0-0 draw at Goodison was a massive result and had show how far we'd come in such a short space of time. Only 6 months earlier we'd gone there and got turned over in a 4-0 defeat. Defensively we were resolute, think Sharp hit the bar with a header late on for them but we restricted them to any real opportunities and Martyn was really beginning to command his box.