CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

jhc 30-04-2009 03:41 PM

Haven't seen the Palace v Notts County game for a long while.
What was so noticeable from watching The Big Match Revisited was the number of young kids in the crowd. So many more than we get at Selhurst these days. We're missing a trick somewhere!
Great game BTW!

Brummie Allan 30-04-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2
I'm a bit disappointed no one has started the live com thread yet

;)

Sorry I was at work:confused:

Brummie Allan 30-04-2009 03:57 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but yes, if you can get the kids in young for 1 let's say, they are fans for life and it pays dividends in the future.

bigdazza08 30-04-2009 05:18 PM

On now itv 4

wombat 30-04-2009 05:18 PM

notts county 1979 on now itv 4

Brummie Allan 30-04-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
How the bloody hell was that Brighton goal allowed to stand with a smokebomb totally obscuring the goalkeeper's view. Interesting how the Blackburn players didn't complain; can you imagine the fuss that would be kicked up if it happened today. I suppose the match was meaningless for Blackburn though.

:D Sorry but I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that, can you imagine if that happened now:D

Palace Rebel 30-04-2009 05:20 PM

it doesn't matter how cheap the child ticket is, if an adult has to pay 30 as opposed to 4 you can see the issue.

Al From Bromley 30-04-2009 05:22 PM

Back in '78 an adult didn't pay much more than a quid - and the football was a lot more entertaining too.

Ardent Eagle Forever 30-04-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al From Bromley
Back in '78 an adult didn't pay much more than a quid - and the football was a lot more entertaining too.

I think it was a bit more than a quid for adults. Still it was better value. That was a great team we had then.

Was it hansen who said you never win anything with kids?

Well Palace won the Div 2 Championship that year with kids.

It the Notts County game, there were no less than 6 players in their full season with Palace.

A lot of those players were in the Palace FA Youth Cup winning team.

Away Day Eagle 30-04-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Most kids also got lifted over the turnstile as well in the Arthur Wait.

Happy Days

Slimbloke'H' 30-04-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brumie Allan
Hi "H" there's already a thread on it in ML It's us against Notts county game this week but they are not showing the Orient game next week.

I knew I should have checked! :clown:

Slimbloke'H' 30-04-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Away Day Eagle
Most kids also got lifted over the turnstile as well in the Arthur Wait.

Happy Days

Indeed. :)

Ruskin Old Boy 30-04-2009 06:14 PM

Gerry Murphy walks on water :p

jookbeard 30-04-2009 06:19 PM

just caught up with it, forget that Stoke were in the running as well, I presume Brighton lost their final game against Newcastle, and we won our last 2. A Classic team from a classic era, no real weaknesses in that team either,and Jeery Murphy's stockings always around his ankles,the Holmesdale always seem s to look smaller on TV ,the Whitehorse looked bigger, and those pieces of 2 be 1 that used to surround the netting at the bottom of the goals.

Ruskin Old Boy 30-04-2009 06:25 PM

Wake up at the back http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=182044

jordanismygod 30-04-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc
Haven't seen the Palace v Notts County game for a long while.
What was so noticeable from watching The Big Match Revisited was the number of young kids in the crowd. So many more than we get at Selhurst these days. We're missing a trick somewhere!
Great game BTW!

Well i was one of them at aged 8. This was my first ever game.

jhc 30-04-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanismygod
Well i was one of them at aged 8. This was my first ever game.

Get'em in young and they're hooked!:p

Dorking .Eagle 30-04-2009 07:02 PM

That was excellent. Terrace surges, bog roll throwing, a slow rendition of "Super Palace from Selhurst", Brian Moore, John Burridge's strong north-east accent, and the smoke bomb at the Goldstone was also well funny.

Quality television. Still gutted no Orient highlights (John Jackson et al) next week though

Nelson Muntz 30-04-2009 07:03 PM

Jerry Murphy what a player.

Did I see Peter Nicholas bump into a young Neil Everitt towards the end?

I wonder what happened to that Eagle above the tunnel? I'd like that!

Noticed some kids in the Holmesdale had what looked like cardboard posters with the pictures of the players on. I want one of them too.

Brian Moore = Legend.

jordanismygod 30-04-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc
Get'em in young and they're hooked!:p

My dads got a lot to answer for:)

Granada allover 30-04-2009 07:09 PM

Did Brian Moore ever get a call on that phone?

ElwissAtMemphis 30-04-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jookbeard
just caught up with it, forget that Stoke were in the running as well, I presume Brighton lost their final game against Newcastle, and we won our last 2.

No. Brian Horton just hadn't noticed that we had a game in hand.

Brighton, Stoke and Sunderland's final matches were all away from home which they all won. We were also away at Orient on the final weekend and of course we won too. If any of them had lost, or Sunderland had even drawn, then our win at Orient would have been enough to guarantee promotion that afternoon.

For the record, Brighton won 3-1 at Newcastle. Sunderland won 2-1 at Wrexham (with a late winner that denied us securing promotion at Brisbane Road) and Stoke won 1-0 at Notts County.

If West Ham hadn't lost at already relegated Blackburn on the final weekend of the season, then they'd still have been in contention. In fact if they'd won that afternoon, they could have gone up instead of Stoke by winning their 2 games in hand at Cardiff and Millwall. As it turned out, they drew at Cardiff and lost at Millwall so it didn't matter although I'm sure the police were relieved that the final fixture at The Den turned out to be meaningless.

Baffled Bob 2 30-04-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle
That was excellent. Terrace surges, bog roll throwing, a slow rendition of "Super Palace from Selhurst", Brian Moore, John Burridge's strong north-east accent, and the smoke bomb at the Goldstone was also well funny.

Quality television.

Better than that, I think I'm in with a pretty good chance of winning tickets to the European Cup Final.

Brady's goal was the best.

Chobham Eagle 30-04-2009 08:46 PM

Brilliant stuff! I so enjoyed that - particularly as I wasn't at the game itself as I was away at university.

Such a shame that Vegetables turned out the way he did.

Dorking .Eagle 30-04-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Better than that, I think I'm in with a pretty good chance of winning tickets to the European Cup Final.

Brady's goal was the best.

LOL - the trip to Munich was courtesy of David Dryer travel - no doubt the majority of Forest's fans did the trip by inter-rail

Ian Hart 30-04-2009 09:40 PM

One thing that wasn't as good in those days was the pitch. It's easy to forget how bare it always became by that stage of the season.

Dorking .Eagle 30-04-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart
One thing that wasn't as good in those days was the pitch. It's easy to forget how bare it always became by that stage of the season.

Not suprised if that game was anything to go by with fans on the pitch!

lewisham eagle 30-04-2009 10:29 PM

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/d...5&Filter=40760

Lord Flange 01-05-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Not suprised if that game was anything to go by with fans on the pitch!

Talking off fans on the pitch, I've always wondered how we managed to get away without having to erect the really high perimeter fencing that seemed to be at almost every other ground.

The whole Goldstone ground was caged in horrifically around this time, when in comparison we had knee hight garden fences.

Likewise, I remeber that Arsenal and even West ham never had fencing yet Spurs, Charlton, and even Orient all did!

In later years at Palace we had low, railing like fences but thankfully nothing to high or obstructive.

Anyone know the reasoning behind to fence or not to fence?

jookbeard 01-05-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Flange
Talking off fans on the pitch, I've always wondered how we managed to get away without having to erect the really high perimeter fencing that seemed to be at almost every other ground.

The whole Goldstone ground was caged in horrifically around this time, when in comparison we had knee hight garden fences.

Likewise, I remeber that Arsenal and even West ham never had fencing yet Spurs, Charlton, and even Orient all did!

In later years at Palace we had low, railing like fences but thankfully nothing to high or obstructive.

good question, we'd never had any real problems with pitch invasion or missile throwing, so the board possibly felt it wasn't really needed,and maybe cost as well

eaglejez 01-05-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewisham eagle

I notice that LWT spelt Crystal Palace wrong on the team line up !

Lord Flange 01-05-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jookbeard
good question, we'd never had any real problems with pitch invasion or missile throwing, so the board possibly felt it wasn't really needed,and maybe cost as well

Nor would I have thought had Charlton or Orient but they didnt manage to escape the cages

I think the decision must have been made for a lot of clubs by pressure from local authorities and police etc

alan cola 02-05-2009 12:55 AM

;) so i peddled home got of my bike sorted out a dvd to record the thursday pm show settled down and watched the game with great pleasure and slightly watery eyes at times then out to put the bike away only to find some bar**ard had made off with it !
didn't all the eagles chants seem very slowly sung that day
also can we petition itv that they are breaking the trade description act if they dont show the proper Big Match version next week ;)

Chocky 02-05-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan cola
;) so i peddled home got of my bike sorted out a dvd to record the thursday pm show settled down and watched the game with great pleasure and slightly watery eyes at times then out to put the bike away only to find some bar**ard had made off with it !
didn't all the eagles chants seem very slowly sung that day
also can we petition itv that they are breaking the trade description act if they dont show the proper Big Match version next week ;)

Ah sod ITV, James has put it all on the other thread. :p

Sorry about the bike!

alan cola 02-05-2009 01:56 PM

thanks Chocky is that also in memory lane?

art malice 03-05-2009 01:39 AM

Horrible mixture of emotions watching the post-match interview with Venables. He was making all the right noises, an experienced media operator even then (specially compared to the Sunderland manager, and Brian 'i've just had a stroke' Horton) but then he cracks that satanic grin and it sends fvcking shivers down the spine.

Great seeing one of the Notts County defenders sporting a classic combover as well. That all went down the plughole with Sky. They have blood, and hair, all over their hands.

ElwissAtMemphis 03-05-2009 12:54 PM

Connoisseurs of the classic 70's footballer comb-over should check out Ralph Coates playing for Orient on the other thread. Surely the finest example ever; as he ran down the wing, there was about a foot of straggly hair trailing behind him in his wake. It must have reached down to his shoulders at least when he was stationary.

Poor old Alan Whittle's barnet looks almost as unfortunate in that match. A sort of bouffant mullet that started on the top of his head due to his severely receding hairline.

art malice 03-05-2009 11:42 PM

Not quite a combover but Southampton's David Armstrong had one of the savagest spams ever and there was one game where it was pissing with rain and he went for a diving header and the imprint of the ball stayed on his head for the rest of the game.

cad 04-05-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Flange

I'm not sure it wasn't more to do with the local authority, who were responsible for issuing the safety certificate.

Amazingly, the new Wembley still has them, the owners having reinstalled those strange horizontal fences as previously used before the rebuild.

Bobby Dandruff 04-05-2009 08:58 AM

Ive got an old tape i recorded of that season big match Palace v Notts County and Orient v Palace plus our goal at Bristol Rovers and winner at home to Charlton plus i recorded via a timer our Burnley goals on the end of News at Ten and also Terry Venables interviewed by Ian St John the following day at Wembley reshowing the goals its become a treasured tape.

Chocky 04-05-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff
winner at home to Charlton

Was that Murphy, then he ran and stood on the fence at the Holmesdale? :D Don't think I've ever seen the late winner at Bristol Rovers.

I've got a Football Focus piece on Leicester v Palace with Des Lynham in flares up there, when Kember gets knocked out and the last minute equaliser with Palace fans going mental in the corner, and the goals at Sunderland. Both on shitty film that they used to use in those days when a game wasn't televised 'properly'. Are they on the DVD? I will have to find time to dig stuff out boxes and somehow post clips up. I know a lot of my earlier stuff went missing when I moved to Spain, very upsetting.

Re the comb-over slapheads, they always used to look about 50 to me, but I suppose they were just the same age as the baldies we see now, but growing their hair long and pulling it over the top aged them by 20 years.

art malice 04-05-2009 06:23 PM

With the comb-overs, did they think no one would notice? And did they think those four precious strands of thin hair scraped precariously across their spam would withstand 90 minutes on muddy pitches, in pissing conditions, with balls that weighed four stone and against opponents who wanted to rip your fvcking head off?

I wonder if it didn't affect Bobby Charlton's game as it goes. Was he too worried about his hair to really give it his all? After all, he only got 106 England caps - what a waste of talent

dagenham_dick 05-05-2009 09:11 AM

I did love brian moores commentry, especially when one shot went wide, "oh that was inches wide" yes Brain approx 100 inches!
I'll let him off as he probably had that bloody Stanchion in the way.

Ruskin Old Boy 07-05-2009 06:17 PM

Newcastle were even worse then than they are today; 3 down at half time to Brighton? :eek: Looking at the bottom of the table it's fascinating to see who was relegated that season - Blackburn, Millwall and Sheffield Utd.

Chobham Eagle 07-05-2009 09:24 PM

What a terrible theme tune to "The Kick Off Game"!

Baffled Bob 2 07-05-2009 09:55 PM

Have there ever been as many away fans at games as at that weekend?

Tom's Old Man 07-05-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Have there ever been as many away fans at games as at that weekend?

A good mate of mine from up North reckons that Brighton's support for the 78/79 match was the biggest from a Southern side at St James's at that time. Not that I should really be giving them any credit I suppose. . .

Chobham Eagle 07-05-2009 10:56 PM

I wasn't at the Orient game as I was up in Durham at university, but I assume that at one point the Palace fans who were there thought we were up - until Sunderland scored that late goal?

Jim Cannon 07-05-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle

yes, a musical crime. and presented by a young Elton welsby too

Chocky 08-05-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle

Stupid bloody name too!

ElwissAtMemphis 08-05-2009 08:47 PM

Surprised to see yet another of our disappointing 80's signings, David Giles, playing for Wrexham in that match. I knew he'd played for Cardiff before we signed him from Swansea too so he obviously wasn't keen on venturing too far from Wales. Amazingly he won 12 Welsh caps too apparently, including a starring role and a goal in England's infamous 4-1 defeat at The Racecourse Ground in 1980.

But he turned out to be just like Alex Dyer. Looked excellent whenever he played against us and scored a beauty meaning that I was delighted when I heard that we'd signed him. Inevitably, he turned out to be utterly mediocre.

Tom's Old Man 08-05-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Surprised to see yet another of our disappointing 80's signings, David Giles, playing for Wrexham in that match. I knew he'd played for Cardiff before we signed him from Swansea too so he obviously wasn't keen on venturing too far from Wales. Amazingly he won 12 Welsh caps too apparently, including a starring role and a goal in England's infamous 4-1 defeat at The Racecourse Ground in 1980.

But he turned out to be just like Alex Dyer. Looked excellent whenever he played against us and scored a beauty meaning that I was delighted when I heard that we'd signed him. Inevitably, he turned out to be utterly mediocre.

Scored a decent goal at Watford for us though.

Chocky 09-05-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Exactly what I thought when I watched that, I too thought of Alex Dyer. They both ran us ragged whenever they played us (Keegan haired Giles skipping past Burridge for the cup winner for Swansea at Cardiff) but were both no better than Paul 'Cheesy' Mortimer when they came to us.

Eye-dee 05-08-2009 11:31 PM

Great game on tonight! Forest v Southampton League Cup Final, March 1979 at Wembley :eek:

The pitch was a mess, swept up snow on the sidelines, names from the past making me feel so old :(

Great game though which Forest won 3-2 after being 1-0 down.

Intersting to see how much Cloughie looked like Nigel Clough does now :D

Chocky 10-08-2009 12:15 PM

Why did they put that on again? It was on a few months ago during the corresponding weekend when it was played in March 30 years ago.

Billy Rhino 14-05-2012 11:26 PM

I've watched this a couple of times recently and both times Luton were playing with this striker called Trevor Aylott, who looked quite a handy player. I do worry sometimes about the affects of alcohol on the brain.

Dorking .Eagle 15-05-2012 08:31 AM

It's on ITV4 every Saturday morning 8-9am. We're not on it this week though

Palacedog 15-05-2012 08:39 AM

Espn Classic have some great European club games on this week from

palace64 16-05-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palacedog
Espn Classic have some great European club games on this week from

what palace games are on that then?

JAS78 17-05-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palace64
what palace games are on that then?

our epic with samsunspor ?

gold76 17-05-2012 02:13 PM

Our twonking of Hapoel?

Al From Bromley 30-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan cola
Watching now on itv4 see that palace were 2nd behind brighton,does anyone remember if we were the featured main game from now till the end of the promotion season in 1978/79 ?

This 'episode' was on again today, the opening musical sequence featured John Burridge walking on his hands at Selhurst. Happy days!

alan cola 30-09-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

This 'episode' was on again today, the opening musical sequence featured John Burridge walking on his hands at Selhurst. Happy days!

They were very happy days i was an Al living in Bromley too in those days
(team of the 80's) ;)

Billy Rhino 01-10-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Rhino
I've watched this a couple of times recently and both times Luton were playing with this striker called Trevor Aylott, who looked quite a handy player. I do worry sometimes about the affects of alcohol on the brain.

I watched it this morning and they had bloody Trevor Aylott playing for Luton again! What was their obsession with Aylott??

Also saw Mark Lawrenson score an embarrassing OG and Martin O'Neill score and blinder for Norwich in the same game. Love this program, the memories!

cockles 06-10-2012 09:17 AM

Match on now from Bramell Lane, Millwall beating Sheff U. Pitch a total disaster but that actually used to play cricket there in the summers!

Boyandy 22-12-2012 08:09 AM

Palace v Notts County on now, or in an hour on ITV4!

Dorking .Eagle 22-12-2012 08:26 AM

Just watched Palace 2 Notts C 0 (Apr 79!). Quality game!

Pitch a right mess, but they still played a good passing game, bog rolls flying, police in long black coats, no high vis jackets anywhere! Venables in his spyhole alongside Fenwick, industrial challenges from Kember, goals from Swindlehurst and Murphy, terracing on all 4 sides and a proper Whitehorse end.

Great times!

(prob on i-player for a week)

morrisons shirt 22-12-2012 09:10 AM

those really were the good old days.god I sound like a right old fart,but as a youngster those days were so special!

Marki 22-12-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Just watched Palace 2 Notts C 0 (Apr 79!). Quality game!

Pitch a right mess, but they still played a good passing game, bog rolls flying, police in long black coats, no high vis jackets anywhere! Venables in his spyhole alongside Fenwick, industrial challenges from Kember, goals from Swindlehurst and Murphy, terracing on all 4 sides and a proper Whitehorse end.

Great times!

(prob on i-player for a week)

Repeated on ITV4 at 2am tonight for those with sky+ or insomnia.

SA Eagle 22-12-2012 01:25 PM

Just watched it on ITV player, mini pitch invasion after the 2nd goal. The BBS would've gone into meltdown :D

silver 22-12-2012 04:08 PM

On again tonight itv4 2.00am

Dorking .Eagle 22-12-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle
Just watched it on ITV player, mini pitch invasion after the 2nd goal. The BBS would've gone into meltdown :D

That was superb! All game there were coppers prowling back and forth behind the goals, yet after the mini pitch invasion, it was down to the ref to clear the pitch. Love it!

ElwissAtMemphis 22-12-2012 11:31 PM

Interviewer: And how do you now approach the game at Newcastle next week?
Brian Horton: Well if we win it we're champions I think aren't we?

No Brian. You did win. We were champions ... UNLUCKY!

bubbs11 23-12-2012 09:06 AM

I laughed at that Horton bit too, and Mullery saying he really wanted to win the league. :hi:

In case anyone missed it when i posted a while back: here is a cine film taken from the same Notts C match by a mate of mine.

selhurstparkflyer 23-12-2012 04:54 PM

He didn't take any of the following home game, by any chance?

scro 23-12-2012 07:04 PM

You would think they could have cut the Wrexham player exposing himself out of this mornings instalment!!!!

CP Satellite 23-12-2012 08:41 PM

Looking at the Big Match clip , it looks like the floodlights at the Whitehorse Lane End had only just been moved forward from the back of the terracing to closer to the pitch - anybody remember this?

Dorking .Eagle 23-12-2012 09:07 PM

Can't say I particularly noticed, however there was a very prominent Sainsbury's perimiter board at the Holmesdale End :(

Rhino 23-12-2012 10:42 PM

I was at this game. Great to see it again. Only a few days later was my first away game. Orient. Hope this is shown too.

Grassboy 24-12-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino
I was at this game. Great to see it again. Only a few days later was my first away game. Orient. Hope this is shown too.

Yep, was at this one as well! I distinctly remember the frustration at not getting the second - we'd had real trouble scoring for a few games - and Notts County were unlucky not to level on more than one occasion! Most vivid memory of the Murphy goal was the bloke next to us in the Holmesdale losing his false teeth!

We all trotted off to the Orient game the following week - think we pretty much took over the ground - then off to Rush at the Hammersmith Odeon in the evening, cracking day!

Chobham Eagle 24-12-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11
I laughed at that Horton bit too, and Mullery saying he really wanted to win the league. :hi:

In case anyone missed it when i posted a while back: here is a cine film taken from the same Notts C match by a mate of mine.

Really enjoyed watching that game. And so funny to hear Horton say how Brighton would win the league if they win their last match. Ha! :D

alan cola 24-12-2012 01:48 AM

it was very nostalgic to see the terrace shots and mrs Minchella the peanut lady also Hy Money setting up for her photography of the game

Chocky 24-12-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino

It's on You Tube and in this forum somewhere (possibly earlier in this thread).

barnabas 24-12-2012 01:52 PM

Mentioned this on another thread but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

If you want to see some really rare CPFC footage you should check out ITN Source. Where else will you see Palace get relegated at Norwich in 1972/73 or the fans at King's Cross after the Sunderland FA Cup quarter final in 1976? I'm not permitted to send links because of the 15 posts rule.

Next time I'll shout.

cantspell 27-12-2012 10:17 PM

Enjoyed that - did you see the smoke bomb at the Brighton match v Blackburn - cheats!

Dorking .Eagle 29-12-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnabas
Mentioned this on another thread but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

If you want to see some really rare CPFC footage you should check out ITN Source. Where else will you see Palace get relegated at Norwich in 1972/73 or the fans at King's Cross after the Sunderland FA Cup quarter final in 1976? I'm not permitted to send links because of the 15 posts rule.

Next time I'll shout.

could you pm me links please? (or post 11 quick posts in chit chat gold?)

barnabas 29-12-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

could you pm me links please? (or post 11 quick posts in chit chat gold?)

Hallelujah. First set in your inbox, Dorking. More to follow.

OldPeanutSeller 29-12-2012 12:51 PM

Come on Dorking, what about a friendly repost for the benefit of the Palace population?

Dorking .Eagle 29-12-2012 12:54 PM

Some mental stuff there. The one of Arthur Wait is fab

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist...lace&st=0&pn=1

Dorking .Eagle 29-12-2012 12:56 PM

ops - most of the links don't seem to work when posted on the thread, so I've forwarded a selection via pm

Dorking .Eagle 29-12-2012 01:00 PM

Palace training in the gym in 1963 - Terry Long very recognisable!!

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist...lace&st=0&pn=3

barnabas 29-12-2012 01:15 PM

Wait till you see the 1976 King's Cross footage. The 1962 Arthur Rowe interview would be great if the preview had audio.

Grassboy 29-12-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

That's just brilliant!

OldPeanutSeller 29-12-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Palace training in the gym in 1963 - Terry Long very recognisable!!

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist...lace&st=0&pn=3

Cheers DE. Tried to rep you but the Rep Police would have it otherwise.

gold76 29-12-2012 11:24 PM

First time I've ever seen or heard the chairman speak, came across really well.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 30-12-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Arthur Waite truly a great chairman.Not that there is anything wrong with our current one. So nothing changes in 50 years "Byrne wanted to go" Wonder if they will have a similar interview with SP in a month or so.

CP Satellite 30-12-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

What's really mental about that is that Arthur Wait is being interviewed in front of what became the Arthur Wait Stand - it's really great to have a momento like to bring the personality of the man to life.

Surely, if ever there should be a statue of a Palace man at Selhurst Park - Arthur should be at the top of the list?

It was interesting to listen to the tone of the interviewer (Kenneth Wolstenholme?) - asking Arthur 'Can you see any future for Palace this season?'.

At the ime of the interview (5th December 1962) Palace were just about bottom of Division Three - having won just three out of the previous 21 matches - the third being the game Arthur spoke about in the interview - 2-1 at home to Reading on December 1st 1962.

It goes to show exactly what the 'Palace Rollercoaster' is all about when you consider that after that interview - Palace went on to win 14 and draw 5 of the remaining 25 matches - basically promotion form. We came from bottom to finish 11th and although I knew nothing about it at the time (I was born on April 9th, 1963) Palace won 5 in a row in April - which would probably be as good as any finish to any season.

Arthur was a prophet!

Dorking .Eagle 31-12-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold76
First time I've ever seen or heard the chairman speak, came across really well.

Same here. Always had to imagine what he sounded like until now:lux:

Chocky 31-12-2012 01:45 PM

He looked like he thought the interviewer was a wanker. Same as the Sky lot today like that prick Geoff Shreeves.

Pikie Punisher 06-01-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11

Haven't seen that before, fantastic, brought back all the old feelings :love: , thank you :p