CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

ExiledStirling 25-03-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 12308627)
Loved the way Brian Moore gave away the Br*ghton score halfway through the Palace commentary! These days during MOTD they keep up the pretence that some viewers might not know the other scores!

It made no difference back then as they only showed highlights from one game per ITV region anyway so am I right to assume the Brighton game had no TV cameras at it?

Big Gav 25-03-2015 08:42 AM

They showed the highlights from Brighton's match after our match. But yes 1 per region Brighton's was south region

Dorking .Eagle 25-03-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 12308631)
It made no difference back then as they only showed highlights from one game per ITV region anyway so am I right to assume the Brighton game had no TV cameras at it?

The show had the highlights of Palace, Br*ghton and Sunderland. Brighton on after the Palace highlights. Would have been filmed by Southern TV I assume

ExiledStirling 25-03-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 12308749)
The show had the highlights of Palace, Br*ghton and Sunderland. Brighton on after the Palace highlights. Would have been filmed by Southern TV I assume

Brian Moore should have been sacked then (despite being the best football commentator ever!) :D

Ruskin Old Boy 25-03-2015 11:21 AM

The 1978/79 season was a memorable one (apart from us not scoring many goals) and the end of season particularly dramatic. It's always a pleasure to see and hear Horton and Mullery trying not to sound too cocky, though sad to see Roker Park and the Goldstone before they were laid waste by developers, the former a great old stadium.

And then there was the Burnley game :p

SuperSub 25-03-2015 12:00 PM

I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

Chocky 25-03-2015 02:33 PM

Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-03-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 12309072)
Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

I was at that game too...it was the first home defeat of the season.

Uncle Ron 25-03-2015 08:34 PM

Just watched the Palace vs Notts County game. Great to see that Vince Hilaire was every bit as good as I remembered!
Anyone know why The Goldstone had fences up by 1979? I don't remember them and thought they went up early 80s?

jonn63 25-03-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 12309072)
Is there any footage of the home game against Fulham 1978-79 season, it was on The Big Match, I had it on VHS. Particularly strange game as not only was it one of only two home games lost that season (and only two away) but the ref blew for time minutes early and the players came back out after a while and played the last minutes in front of a half empty stadium. I stayed to watch but can't remember why I did stay and knew they would be back out. I can't remember there being any announcement but probably was. The cameras caught hundred streaming down Whitehorse Road and all looking back wondering what was going on! Still couldn't equalise though.

I was there as a 15yr old and got on tv as the players came back out.loved to see it again.

Big Gav 25-03-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ron (Post 12309657)
Just watched the Palace vs Notts County game. Great to see that Vince Hilaire was every bit as good as I remembered!
Anyone know why The Goldstone had fences up by 1979? I don't remember them and thought they went up early 80s?

Sansom at times was moving into central midfield and overlapping a lot. He was one hell of a player

Vince Hilaire's Afro 26-03-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan cola (Post 7331909)
Watching now on itv4 see that palace were 2nd behind Brighton

People forget that there was television back then

Chocky 26-03-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonn63 (Post 12309664)
I was there as a 15yr old and got on tv as the players came back out.loved to see it again.

I was 15 then as well. You old bastard. :)

Blind_Eagle 27-03-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSub (Post 12308903)
I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

How nice of you to Judge them in such a positive way.

Nelson Muntz 27-03-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Gav (Post 12308616)
Bloody hell they were delusional and talking crap even back then!
Brian Horton "Well if we go to Newcastle and beat them we are champions"
Not quite Brian :)

Thick ****.

Horton, not you Gav.

Jim Cannon 27-03-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz (Post 12312502)
Thick ****.

Horton, not you Gav.

And a right nasty bastard of a player too

Chocky 30-03-2015 05:02 PM

I know it's on You Tube and I've seen it 458 times but they've been showing every week of the 1978/79 season, then when it came to the biggest game of the final weekend they showed Wrexham v Sunderland with Sunderland only relying on other scores even if they won.

It struck me though how much money these regional channels had when Brian Moore in London on The Big Match had a reasonable set with a phone and in-built microphone on his desk, whereas Elton Welsby sat in front of a poorly lit shit back drop and even had a shit name for their programme and a rubbish tune.

The Kick Off Match? Bollocks.

bestperch 05-07-2017 04:35 PM

BTSport2 showing our 76/77 visit to the gallstone on Monday July 10th at 17:30. Memories for us old gits or a catch up on history for the younger element.

delboy01 05-07-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSub (Post 12308903)
I met Brian Moore and his wife in the late 90's. What a nice couple they were.

Dogging?

Baffled Bob 2 05-07-2017 04:43 PM

Now set to record. And bestperch repped.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.