CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

Custard Pie 30-08-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny_Cheviot (Post 15975149)
Today at 11:15 ITV 4. 1974, Div3.

Palace v Charlton.

Just watched it and we were a bit lucky with this one as we seemed to be outplayed by Charlton. Great to see Brian Moore interviewing Malcolm Allison - such sense spoken by both.

Baffled Bob 2 30-08-2021 01:55 PM

Quite a shirt and tie combination from Malcolm. Bold.

Custard Pie 30-08-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15975826)
Quite a shirt and tie combination from Malcolm. Bold.

Not so much bold as insane. :supergrin:

Sleeping Giant 01-09-2021 08:59 AM

RIP Brian Moore. 20 years ago today :(

burgess hill 84 01-09-2021 10:44 AM

PALACE V IPSWICH 1980 ,ON SATURDAY.

sunshine lucas 01-09-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15980564)
PALACE V IPSWICH 1980 ,ON SATURDAY.

If only it was 79....

burgess hill 84 01-09-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine lucas (Post 15980576)
If only it was 79....

Your right there.

cantspell 01-09-2021 03:34 PM

Watching that back reminds you how great Brian Moore was!

GorBlimey 01-09-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 15980900)
Watching that back reminds you how great Brian Moore was!


As a commentator and presenter too.

How the f*ck did we end up with the likes of Lineker?

If Brian Moore had worked for the BBC he would have become a football national treasure.

BERT'S HEAD 04-09-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15980564)
PALACE V IPSWICH 1980 ,ON SATURDAY.

Enjoyed that even though we lost - Ipswich had classy players in that side and we really missed Nicholas.

In one of the other games Bryan Robson spectacularly tipped a shot with his hand over the bar against Liverpool and obviously conceded a penalty - but he wasn't even booked.

Ruskin Old Boy 04-09-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 15980900)
Watching that back reminds you how great Brian Moore was!


He was and a very pleasant man. Had the good fortune to spend some time with him on the journey back from the Sunderland cup victory in 1976. I'd gate crashed the players' coach - Ray Bloye playing cards with Alan Whittle amongst others - all very friendly and saw Brian sitting on his own. Always had time for Palace - very friendly club which he compared with his own club, Gillingham - especially during the period when Big Mal was our manager as he was such an accessible person.

I'd been a big fan of his since his BBC days - their first football correspondent on the radio where he acquired the commentating skills which had seen him head hunted by ITV when it commenced broadcasting football. Asked him about the differences between commentating on matches for radio and television and he said that there wasn't much.

Meeting him was nearly as good as meeting Big Mal later in the journey.

davech 04-09-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy (Post 15986976)
He was and a very pleasant man. Had the good fortune to spend some time with him on the journey back from the Sunderland cup victory in 1976. I'd gate crashed the players' coach - Ray Bloye playing cards with Alan Whittle amongst others - all very friendly and saw Brian sitting on his own. Always had time for Palace - very friendly club which he compared with his own club, Gillingham - especially during the period when Big Mal was our manager as he was such an accessible person.

I'd been a big fan of his since his BBC days - their first football correspondent on the radio where he acquired the commentating skills which had seen him head hunted by ITV when it commenced broadcasting football. Asked him about the differences between commentating on matches for radio and television and he said that there wasn't much.

Meeting him was nearly as good as meeting Big Mal later in the journey.

How did you manage to gatecrash the team coach?? I had a delightful journey back on the train, with newly-installed air-conditioning, courtesy of the delightful Mackems :D

wrightchipvcfc 04-09-2021 06:09 PM

Forgot Steve Lovell played that season remember him scoring the winner away at Wrexham it was palaces first away win in 31 games not sure if that was league and cup the few palace fans that had traveled celebrated like we had won the champions league .

Ruskin Old Boy 04-09-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 15986980)
How did you manage to gatecrash the team coach?? I had a delightful journey back on the train, with newly-installed air-conditioning, courtesy of the delightful Mackems :D


The team had the first coach on the train back to London - the same train that we enjoyed on the way up departed at 07.30 from King's Cross, first class dining facilities - pie, chips and peas, pie, chips and peas on the way back :D

We must have had an armed guard on our train ;)

jhc 04-09-2021 06:36 PM

Watching that again, you realise how much better the players are today, both in technical ability, workrate and fitness.
That 'top of the table' Ipswich side would probably be in the relegation places in the Premier league today:D
The standard of the game has improved dramatically.

Danny_Cheviot 04-09-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 15980564)
PALACE V IPSWICH 1980 ,ON SATURDAY.

Remember going to school on the bus and hearing: what’s the difference between Palace and a triangle?

Sainsbury’s building in the background……….if only we knew then……

Great kit by the way.

(That’s definitely not a dig).

Ian Hart 04-09-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 15986980)
How did you manage to gatecrash the team coach??

Did you not know that ROB was friends of the Kray twins?

Ruskin Old Boy 04-09-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 15987037)
Did you not know that ROB was friends of the Jay twins?


EFA :D

palacemetros 04-09-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 15986993)
Watching that again, you realise how much better the players are today, both in technical ability, workrate and fitness.
That 'top of the table' Ipswich side would probably be in the relegation places in the Premier league today:D
The standard of the game has improved dramatically.

Fitness levels have dramatically improved but I'm not sure today's players would fare so well on those pitches.

Ian Hart 04-09-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacemetros (Post 15987128)
Fitness levels have dramatically improved but I'm not sure today's players would fare so well on those pitches.

Or with those tackles


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.