CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   THE BIG MATCH REVISITED (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182044)

Chobham Eagle 12-03-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
People were dissapointed in Taylor as a manager purely because he was such an exciting player, but a very negative manager.

I fully agree. But he didn't merit some of the level of criticism that he received on here.

Chobham Eagle 12-03-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Followed by Thunderbirds. :p

I remember the Big Match being followed by the Persuaders.

Hedgehog 13-03-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle
I remember the Big Match being followed by the Persuaders.

And preceded by a combination of All Our Yesterday, The Farm Show and University Challenge.

After The Big Match was tea time.

jookbeard 13-03-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
And preceded by a combination of All Our Yesterday, The Farm Show and University Challenge.

After The Big Match was tea time.

was it not "Out of Town" with Jack Hargreaves? seem to remember it was incredibly boring

Hedgehog 13-03-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jookbeard
was it not "Out of Town" with Jack Hargreaves? seem to remember it was incredibly boring

That as well.

I think the farm show was a bit earlier, maybe about noon and on BBC. Always had film of cows and cow shit everywhere. Not the best lunchtime viewing.

Glaws Eagle 13-03-2009 08:52 AM

I hope this link hasnt been posted elsewhere

The 3-1 win over Brighton in 1978.

I remember it like it was yesterday .... a very warm day for October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX75kiCoJBY

Maidstoned Eagle 13-03-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
And preceded by a combination of All Our Yesterday, The Farm Show and University Challenge.

After The Big Match was tea time.

I always remember it as The London weekend Show with Janet Street Porter, then Thunderbirds then The Big Match.

Chocky 13-03-2009 11:27 AM

The Big Match was mainly on at 2.15 on sunday afternoons, was on for 45 minutes and only had one ad break, at half time during the main match.

jone-zee 13-03-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glaws Eagle
I hope this link hasnt been posted elsewhere

The 3-1 win over Brighton in 1978.

I remember it like it was yesterday .... a very warm day for October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX75kiCoJBY

:lux: :lux:

ebyeeckeagle 13-03-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glaws Eagle
I hope this link hasnt been posted elsewhere

The 3-1 win over Brighton in 1978.

I remember it like it was yesterday .... a very warm day for October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX75kiCoJBY

30 years ago - christ! The team still feels so familiar.

Magical but sad. The chances of ever having a team like that again feels so remote.

ammiller 13-03-2009 02:53 PM

When was Tomfoolery on?

Typical Palace 13-03-2009 07:29 PM

John Burridge is not wearing any gloves?

ElwissAtMemphis 13-03-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
I always remember it as The London weekend Show with Janet Street Porter, then Thunderbirds then The Big Match.

Similar to my recollection. But I remember watching Thunderbirds first and Sunday lunch was served almost exactly when it ended. The LWT Show happened while we were eating and we were then allowed to leave the table early to watch the Big Match.

If lunch was late, you watched the start of The LWT Show that was a cartoon of JS-P in big flares with exaggerated teeth and Elton John style glasses wading across an animated London skyline.

There was also a time when the pre-Big Match line up included Weekend World with Bwian Walden which was a sort of weekly round-up of the political week presented by a bloke with a speech impediment that made Jonathon Ross sound like an elocution instructor. It had the fantastic Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain as its intro; in fact, if you played the non-vocal parts of the record now, I'm sure more people would say "that's Weekend World" rather than "that's Mountain".

I've got a feeling that it started at 12:00. Obviously this is a very specific couple of months in time; late-70s definitely.

selhurstparkflyer 16-03-2009 03:13 PM

What about Police 5? That preceded the BM as far as I can remember.

gold76 16-03-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selhurstparkflyer
What about Police 5? That preceded the BM as far as I can remember.

KEEP EM PEELED!

Is Shaw Taylor still with us?

eaglejez 16-03-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
Similar to my recollection. But I remember watching Thunderbirds first and Sunday lunch was served almost exactly when it ended. The LWT Show happened while we were eating and we were then allowed to leave the table early to watch the Big Match.

If lunch was late, you watched the start of The LWT Show that was a cartoon of JS-P in big flares with exaggerated teeth and Elton John style glasses wading across an animated London skyline.

There was also a time when the pre-Big Match line up included Weekend World with Bwian Walden which was a sort of weekly round-up of the political week presented by a bloke with a speech impediment that made Jonathon Ross sound like an elocution instructor. It had the fantastic Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain as its intro; in fact, if you played the non-vocal parts of the record now, I'm sure more people would say "that's Weekend World" rather than "that's Mountain".

I've got a feeling that it started at 12:00. Obviously this is a very specific couple of months in time; late-70s definitely.

Thunderbirds was 1pm which lasted for an hour. TBM was 2.30pm. Can't remember what was on between Tbirds and TBM :p

jookbeard 16-03-2009 03:35 PM

20the Century Box with Danny Baker?and Weekend World with Brian Walden, also very boring and such such inapprotiate theme music for a current affairs programme

monkey 16-03-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglejez
Thunderbirds was 1pm which lasted for an hour. TBM was 2.30pm. Can't remember what was on between Tbirds and TBM :p

not sure either,but The Persuaders was always on after The Big Match...........the theme tune still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end,they don't make 'em like they used to:D .............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLEdvRKAYI

Glaws Eagle 16-03-2009 06:40 PM

Great thread this ....

See, you boys had the London based The Big Match. We in the West country very rarely had access to TBM.

Were I live we had either the HTV produced Soccer Special which covered Swindon Town, Bristol Rovers & Bristol City with the truly awful Roger Malone commentating, or ATV's Star Soccer which covered the Midlands. Mostly WBA, Brum, and Wolves with the voice of Hugh Johns, again dreadful.

We used to dream of watching the Big Match with teams such as Palace, Spurs, Arsenal & Brentford. I did remember watching us play Arsenal in Oct 1972. I think we lost 2-3.

Here's some interesting links .....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carouse...ATVLondon.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/HTV.html

vivideagle 16-03-2009 07:52 PM

Happy days,basking in the sun,and watching Mullery squirm !!!:bash:
What a fantastic player Mike Elwiss was in his brief career with us,but for injury,he would have become a great.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.