CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transfer Hotline (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Discussion: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283115)

glaziers fan 23-04-2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15753622)
Tbh Andros has no pace these days, Wilf isnít a great crosser of the ball. Schlupp is the only with the pace and a decent cross in him.

Wilfís crossing is improving. But his pace probably isnít good enough to beat a full back anymore. So I agree with you. And Schlupp is very left footed and plays on the left for that reason. :)

Martin H 23-04-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15754731)
Wilfís crossing is improving. But his pace probably isnít good enough to beat a full back anymore. So I agree with you. And Schlupp is very left footed and plays on the left for that reason. :)

I think the picking of his passes has improved a lot under Roy but I am not sure I agree about Wilfís crossing. But by that I was meaning putting it on someoneís head. I do think he has lost, or certainly doesnít use that electric burst of pace that he always had. He always relied more on the tricks anyway and I donít think he is slow but we donít see him leave many players for dead with pace often now after he has beaten them. There was one moment at the end of the Everton match where he left Godfrey scrambling (a very impressive youngster) behind him that was good to see.

Funnily enough I would also say Schlupp favours his left but he is pretty good with either. That game of opinions again. :)

What is petty clear is that we play a lot better when they are both on the pitch. They also play well together I always think.

beef 24-04-2021 09:35 AM

Exactly the kind of player we should be signing. Could get him for £30m which isn’t much these days

Olympian2 24-04-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 15756172)
Exactly the kind of player we should be signing. Could get him for £30m which isnít much these days

£30m is clearly a lot for us

spt1978 24-04-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Exactly the kind of player we should be signing. Could get him for £30m which isnít much these days

Jesus he is worth no where near that. Plus, we should not be spending £30m on anyone.

bigend1 24-04-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Less than it was relatively speaking perhaps... it is still a HUGE financial commitment for any club. Absolutely GARGANTUAN for a club like palace.

Sakho + benteke + some mid range fees like tomkins and schlupp has crippled us in to not spending for the last 3-4 years.

I'm not saying we Absolutely can't spend a fee like that but it would have a huge impact on whats left and cant be dismissed as not much these days in any way at all

dave_who_ru 24-04-2021 10:34 AM

For £30m I would expect the jewel in the crown of a rebuild.

churley1988 24-04-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah itís not like weíve just lost £60 million and are in a pandemic...

Weíre not in a position to spend that sort of money on anyone and nor should we. Juryís still out on Mateta but heís the sort of signing we need to be making, not massive sums on players like AMN.

Nostrils 24-04-2021 10:46 AM

These players are only worth what buyers are prepared to pay. That threshold has surely dropped over the last 12 months. It's all relative I suppose, and like others have said, if we play our cards right this window, could set ourselves up for a couple of seasons and beyond.

I'm a very long way from an expert, but is he worth more than £13m?

El Aguila 24-04-2021 10:46 AM

Five bites, not bad.

spt1978 24-04-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15756235)
Five bites, not bad.

Was wondering whether I had been whooshed. Always so hard to tell in the transfer discussion section, especially when GF is on the thread.

LuieJack 24-04-2021 11:40 AM

When we talk about CPFC's spending power, to be honest after Eight seasons of lucrative premiership money we should be in a position to be able to spend 30m on a player without it being a crippling amount, which is probably what it would be currently.
The main problem i feel that is holding us back is the uncertainty hanging over us regarding our American owners and their committment to us long term, also no doubting the non progress in the Stadium improvements dragging on has played a big part in holding us back. It really is a pity, other than having an antiquated stadium we have so much to offer like a fantastic catchment area with fans desperate for success and waiting to flock back in numbers if there is a hint of success to look forward too.
I see the Leicester formula/planning and the progress also success they have made and feel that is the plan we should have worked to, offcourse the difference being their OWNERS compared to ours (Parish excluded) where as they have fully committed ones we instead have ones desperate to walk away, until that changes we will continue to be a bargain basement club.

Stavros 69 24-04-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15756273)
When we talk about CPFC's spending power, to be honest after Eight seasons of lucrative premiership money we should be in a position to be able to spend 30m on a player without it being a crippling amount, which is probably what it would be currently.
The main problem i feel that is holding us back is the uncertainty hanging over us regarding our American owners and their committment to us long term, also no doubting the non progress in the Stadium improvements dragging on has played a big part in holding us back. It really is a pity, other than having an antiquated stadium we have so much to offer like a fantastic catchment area with fans desperate for success and waiting to flock back in numbers if there is a hint of success to look forward too.
I see the Leicester formula/planning and the progress also success they have made and feel that is the plan we should have worked to, offcourse the difference being their OWNERS compared to ours (Parish excluded) where as they have fully committed ones we instead have ones desperate to walk away, until that changes we will continue to be a bargain basement club.

We have a 25k ground, low end commercial income and owners who donít put cash in.

orp pisshead1 24-04-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spt1978 (Post 15756194)
Jesus he is worth no where near that. Plus, we should not be spending £30m on anyone.

Exactly , rather we payed less for players with potential but from other pl clubs reserves, championship and abroad.

GB2506 24-04-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15756235)
Five bites, not bad.

Beef is a crafty troll. Throws a few gems around every now and then and usually gets some big catches.

exiledeagle 24-04-2021 01:48 PM

I have not seen enough quality in Maitland-Niles to warrant the transfer fee suggested . He tends to amble through games in second gear .

With regards to Townsend if he would accept a reasonable salary i would keep him . He is a very decent squad player and with so many incomings needed , he can still do a job for us . He has never had blistering pace but is not slow . Still has it in him to get past a player and get a cross in . It could be that he is not effective offensively the last couple of seasons as he is playing more as a midfield player and generally gives us protection on right side . This is a result of the way play and he has helped to provide cover for AWB , Ward and Clyne .

dave_who_ru 24-04-2021 01:50 PM

Ignoring the buying and selling of players we haven't made an operating profit of more than £30m in any of our seasons in the Premier League. The closest we got was 2013/14 but that was before player wages caught up.

Our average since promotion is about £10m per season which means we are reliant on owners to fund the purchase of players. That £10m doesn't even cover the cost of one Benteke for one season.

aashman12 24-04-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15756309)
We have a 25k ground, low end commercial income and owners who donít put cash in.

Can't put cash in

Stavros 69 24-04-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashman12 (Post 15756393)
Can't put cash in

Thereís always a way to put cash in if you want.

nathe 24-04-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15756402)
Thereís always a way to put cash in if you want.

I dont think we want to spend above our means and end up un administration again