CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Other Football At Selhurst Park (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42144)

Granada allover 06-10-2003 02:06 PM

Other Football At Selhurst Park
 
I remember bunking off early from Selhurst Grammar in 1967 to see a friend of mine play for Beulah primary in the local inter-school cup final one Wednesday afternoon. The old stand was packed in one section with kids from both schools and half the stand went crazy when Beulah scored (to win 1-0).

I was SO envious of my friend Keith Stannard playing on the sacred turf that day (I couldn't even get into the Winterbourne First XI).

It's made me wonder whether there were other school games back then - and whether any still happen today...

Anyone know?

18mcpalace 06-10-2003 03:00 PM

Yes in the past (I am talking 1970's) there would be quite a few school matches/ school finals played at Selhurst Park. But now that would be VERY rare.

I know that the Surrey Cup finals are normally played at grounds like Chipstead now!

However the top competition for school teams in the ESFA National Cup where last season the regional finals were held at Stamford Bridge and the national final at Anfield.

Of course Wilson's Grammar School Under 13's fell 1 game short of playing at Stamford Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arussell 06-10-2003 03:21 PM

Selhurst Park's been used for numerous other things in the past.

Going back to the early 1920's, amateur cup finals and Surrey cup matches have been played there, and the British Army have also played a number of games at SP. Kingstonian's played a Surrey cup final match at SP in 1920/21 which led to then manager Edmund Goodman being impressed with their winger Albert Harry, who he then signed for Palace.

Cricket too has been played there, and I think I'm right in saying in the 1930's there was once a baseball match staged too.

Granada allover 06-10-2003 03:27 PM

Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

RtS 06-10-2003 09:37 PM

My schoolfriend, one Richard Rumbold, played for Surrey Schools U15s v Essex under floodlights in 1970. It meant nothing to the b@stard who only went on about watching Z Cars in the dressing room before the game. In case anyone is interested Essex won 1-0, a second half goal at the Holmesdale end. Doris Hinshlewood was in the same team.

Maidstoned Eagle 06-10-2003 10:00 PM

Wasn't there an England U21 or B international played there as well? And didn't Peter Taylor play?

biggus mickus 06-10-2003 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Wasn't there an England U21 or B international played there as well? And didn't Peter Taylor play?

Twice, and scored twice. In front of good crowds.

Ruskin Old Boy 06-10-2003 10:08 PM

First visit to SP was in April 1959 when a coachload of us from Fairchild's Junior School watched the Croydon primary school's cup final. Only the main stand was occupied, apart from that, all I remember was the almost non-stop banging of the wooden seats.

Nearly played once when our youth team - forgotten the name - but we played at Parkfields in Shirley - was drawn away to play Palace juniors - Surrey Youth Cup? Didn't make it into the side - we lost 0-9 - and returned to the anonymity of Parkfields.

And then there was Wimbledon - Leeds in the cup - one record that won't be beaten, the crowd of over 44,000. And even earlier a 3rd place play-off for the FA Cup, the Friday night before FA Cup Final. Long since forgotten who played in that.

tomario 07-10-2003 01:16 AM

I once had a kick around on the sacred turf, after doing a coaching session for disabled kids for football in the community when Jeff Hawkins ran it.

RtS 07-10-2003 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
And even earlier a 3rd place play-off for the FA Cup, the Friday night before FA Cup Final. Long since forgotten who played in that.
Stoke v Everton (beaten by Arsenal and Liverpool respectively) in 1971.
Your memory is going mate!

firesign 07-10-2003 10:47 AM

I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.

I guess with the Wombles playing there it would have been too much to have other games there too. Now they've gone it would be good to have some other matches there. I'm sure they did used to play the occasional schoolboy match there - Croydon Schools Cup Final, stuff like that.

Granada allover 07-10-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Nearly played once when our youth team - forgotten the name - but we played at Parkfields in Shirley - was drawn away to play Palace juniors - Surrey Youth Cup? Didn't make it into the side - we lost 0-9 - and returned to the anonymity of Parkfields.
ROB, one of those defining moments. What might have been! Destined to become a watcher and dreamer like the most of us...

I'm still curious as to whether there is anyone on the boards who has played competitively at Selhurst (Croydon Schools Cup and the like) - and even scored there.

I can still visualise Beulah Primary's goal in '67 - a collection of appalling, defensive errors and the ball trickled pathetically over the line (sound familiar?)

And the old stand rocked...

Ruskin Old Boy 07-10-2003 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RtS

Your memory is going mate!

That's why I never know if it's your round :D

Ruskin Old Boy 07-10-2003 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
ROB, one of those defining moments. What might have been! Destined to become a watcher and dreamer like the most of us...


About 99.99% of us I would guess ... :eek:

Who Cares? 07-10-2003 10:59 AM

Following on from arussell's post I believe Bicycle polo was also played there in the late 50s/early 60s - Norwood Paragon I think.

monkey 07-10-2003 01:01 PM

I went to a play off final between Gillingham and Swindon In the late 80's which was played at selhurst.
I think It was when It was when the play-off final's were still 2 legs home and away and they were level after the 2 legs and had to have a replay on a neutral ground.
Boy did It kick off as well afterwards,these two clubs had a rivalry simmering at the time and I was shocked how bad It was outside the ground from two clubs not re-nowned for crowd trouble!!
Swindon won 2-0 If I remember right!!!

ReadingPalace 07-10-2003 01:12 PM

My wierdest non-Palace memory of SP was a four team, 7-a-side, 10-over cricket competition there under lights in the very early 80s. I think the teams involved were Kent, Surrey, Sussex and probably Middlesex.

I don't remember too much about it, except for Chris Tavare knocking five 6s and a four off the same over. Kent still lost, though.

Oliver V 07-10-2003 01:12 PM

Hi everybody,i'm at school doing absoltly nothing:so i decided to sneak into the computer lab and go on internet :)

monkey 07-10-2003 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver Varcoe
Hi everybody,i'm at school doing absoltly nothing:so i decided to sneak into the computer lab and go on internet :)
you little tinker:rolleyes:

DaveTuttles 07-10-2003 01:17 PM

I played there twice for Cumnor House in the Croydon Cup Final, absolutely top class!! We used the baths/showers, changing rooms everything. Steve Kember was my manager though. Steve Coppell presented us with or winners medals. Ive still got the croydon advertsier photo of our team in front of the holmesdale with the cup. Perfect!!

Granada allover 07-10-2003 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveTuttles
I played there twice for Cumnor House in the Croydon Cup Final, absolutely top class!! We used the baths/showers, changing rooms everything. Steve Kember was my manager though. Steve Coppell presented us with or winners medals. Ive still got the croydon advertsier photo of our team in front of the holmesdale with the cup. Perfect!!
Congrats Dave. How long ago was this?

Brett 07-10-2003 11:33 PM

Don't forget that England played a full international against Wales at Selhurst Park in 1926 (a 3-1 win for the visitors).

big bad John 08-10-2003 01:54 AM

Re: School matches at Selhurst Park
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
I remember bunking off early from Selhurst Grammar in 1967 to see a friend of mine play for Beulah primary in the local inter-school cup final one Wednesday afternoon. The old stand was packed in one section with kids from both schools and half the stand went crazy when Beulah scored (to win 1-0).

I was SO envious of my friend Keith Stannard playing on the sacred turf that day (I couldn't even get into the Winterbourne First XI).

It's made me wonder whether there were other school games back then - and whether any still happen today...

Anyone know?


yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.

Al From Bromley 08-10-2003 04:15 AM

Leeds Wimbledon cup match back in the Dickie Guy days...1974 I think.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 12:19 PM

Re: Re: School matches at Selhurst Park
 
Quote:

Originally posted by big bad John
yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.

Digging out six of the best from the Selhurst onion bags - an 'outstanding' memory!

And a spat between the schools! To quote Mottie, 'it just gets better and better and better...'

:lux:

big bad John 08-10-2003 01:19 PM

yeah granada, you must have been a thornton Heath boy if you went to winterbourne.

Lords Eagle 08-10-2003 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Leeds Wimbledon cup match back in the Dickie Guy days...1974 I think.
I was there standing in the Holmesdale, good night.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by big bad John
yeah granada, you must have been a thornton Heath boy if you went to winterbourne.
Fort Neef? Ya betcha. Born in Langdale Road, moved to Galpins Road, then on to Birdhurst Gardens in South Croydon. :p

FCM 08-10-2003 02:23 PM

Back in the sixties I went to an amateur cup semi a t Selhurst - Enfield versus Walthamstow Park Avenue i think it was!

DDD 08-10-2003 02:25 PM

there were some England u-23's..remember Peter Taylor playing for England in about 76 against Portugal

Al From Bromley 08-10-2003 02:29 PM

Yeah, was there for both U23's and also the Wimbledon Leeds game, and the Stoke Everton play off.

La Bombonera 08-10-2003 02:34 PM

Posted by firesign :
Quote:

I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.
Remember that one. Plenty of Palace fans turned out to cheer on Croydon.

Probably one of the very few times (aside from when he was with Leyton Orient particularly in the 1979 Palace promotion season) that Palace fans awaited with baited breath a gaff from John Jackson. Alas it never came.

moverman 08-10-2003 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

I've played a few times.

This photo is the most recent and shows me putting a free kick just over the bar

moverman 08-10-2003 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.......and getting subbed 5 minutes later.

Note the Holmesdale under construction.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moverman
I've played a few times.

This photo is the most recent and shows me putting a free kick just over the bar

Whooaaaah.......... Move over, it's Moverman.

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Did you ever actually (whispers)..... score?

moverman 08-10-2003 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover

Did you ever actually (whispers)..... score?

That was the nearest I got Granada.

They did have Nicky Johns in goal though.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moverman
That was the nearest I got Granada.

They did have Nicky Johns in goal though.

And you've got it on film... quality! Circa '94 by the look of the Holmesdale.

Bedge 08-10-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

I know of one member of the BBS that has played at Selhurst this year in the Palace vs Millwall charity game

his name is Bacon so ask him

moverman 08-10-2003 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more for you Granada.

note the beer can on top of the dug-out and Kember nowhere in sight.

Bedge 08-10-2003 09:35 PM

The closest i came to playing at Selhurst was taking a penalty in front of the Holmesdale back in may for the Charity game and surprise surprise I Missed lol

calne eagle 08-10-2003 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lords Eagle
I was there (Wimbledon v Leeds) standing in the Holmesdale, good night.
I was there standing in the Whitehorse - good night, but scary to start with. We were in front of a lot of hardcore Leeds in the upper terrace. When Wimbledon almost scored in the first minute, they surged forward to see, and we all got crushed against the wall. I look back on it and realise that if that wall had collapsed, dozens (at least) would have died.

big bad John 09-10-2003 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
Fort Neef? Ya betcha. Born in Langdale Road, moved to Galpins Road, then on to Birdhurst Gardens in South Croydon. :p

believe it or not Granada I grew up on Langdale.lived on the corner of Wiltshire.small world.

Chocky 09-10-2003 02:06 PM

Saw It's a Knockout at Selhurst once. Anita Harris played a belter, banged one in off her wart.

Alf Noakes 09-10-2003 02:23 PM

Back in the late 50s or early 60s George Smith the manager wanted to spot local talent. He invited school kids under 13 or 14 to play on the hallowed turf. Arthur Proudler (What a midfielder he was) took the group with me and my mate Pete. We played on the pitch, changed in the dressing rooms and had a great time - but just not quite good enough to be picked!

ammiller 09-10-2003 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chocky
Saw It's a Knockout at Selhurst once. Anita Harris played a belter, banged one in off her wart.
Chockster,

I remember that It's a knockout.

I spent most of the afternoon going into the New Stand enclosure where the steps lead up to he seats so I could look up all the women's dresses.

Archiebald Leitch 09-10-2003 03:49 PM

Re: Re: School matches at Selhurst Park
 
Quote:

Originally posted by big bad John
yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.

Hello John, how you keeping? We didnt get knocked out by Monks Hill, we were cheated out by Monks Hill!

I played in the Churchill tournament for the last 3 years. MR Gooders red card rage this year was the highlight!

Jack Regan 15-10-2003 11:18 AM

I've played at Selhurst Park too.

For Clifton Arms XI against Palace groundstaff. Only thing I can remember about it was that the pitch was very uneven. Played on better pitches at Purley Way.

selhurstparkflyer 16-10-2003 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by firesign
I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.


I can confirm that I was there but Millwall won the replay 3-0.

At SP it was 1-1- Nicky Chatterton scored the Millwall equaliser.

Granada allover 17-10-2003 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jack Regan
I've played at Selhurst Park too. For Clifton Arms XI against Palace groundstaff. Only thing I can remember about it was that the pitch was very uneven. Played on better pitches at Purley Way.
This reminds me... and it's a question for the 60's anoraks.

Am I right in recalling there was a visible ridge in the pitch (near the penalty area, Whitehorse Road end) which was only evened out in the mid-60's?

Johnnydev66 02-05-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

Only just seen this thread.

Played for Winterbourne in the 1977 Croydon schools cup final, we lost 3-0 to Castle Hill.

Funnily enough, 35 years later (almost to the day) I'll be making my second appearance tomorrow on the hallowed turf in the Fit Fans match. Hoping for more rain so I can score and celebrate with a Kuqi swan dive!

Strictly Palace 02-05-2012 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I palyed for Palace Guard in 1981 when we won 3-1 in a cup final at Selhurst. :lux:

My life was complete at that point as I scored a goal at each end. I have attached the evidence of my goal at the Holmesdale End.

Dave 02-05-2012 10:08 AM

Must have been hard playing in black and white

Mike Douglas 02-05-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover
I'm still curious as to whether there is anyone on the boards who has played competitively at Selhurst (Croydon Schools Cup and the like) - and even scored there.

Don't know if this counts but tomorrow (behind semi closed doors) the CPFC Fit Fans are having a mini and very competitive tournament at Selhurst. I shall get to fulfill one of my dreams and play on the hallowed turf. :D :D

Pistol Knight 02-05-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Douglas
Don't know if this counts but tomorrow (behind semi closed doors) the CPFC Fit Fans are having a mini and very competitive tournament at Selhurst. I shall get to fulfill one of my dreams and play on the hallowed turf. :D :D

Hallowed...........they rip it up every few years, I have piles older :D

Johnnydev66 02-05-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Douglas
Don't know if this counts but tomorrow (behind semi closed doors) the CPFC Fit Fans are having a mini and very competitive tournament at Selhurst. I shall get to fulfill one of my dreams and play on the hallowed turf. :D :D

Yes, it counts:)

I'll be there too!

LONDONMAN 02-05-2012 11:51 AM

I played in an end of season game for Palace Guards, 1977 - always remember using the Palace dressing rooms (back in the day they were in the middle of the Main (Old) Stand) and seeing a list of players with names with bookings and suspensions with a points total for each booking - somebody had written in Harkouk and Silkman 4pts - Counterfeiting Foreign Money!

I've seen loads of friendlies, testimonials and 'neutral' cup replays - I think Palace are unique because we held the only ever FA Cup Play Off (For 3rd and 4th place!) in 1972 when Everton played Stoke - I've seen Peter Taylor play twice for the England U23 side (which back in the 1970's was the version of the current U21 system - but you occasionaly got to see a couple of older players - England U23's played Portugal and the old Checkoslovakia and Taylor scored in both games - delighting the thousands of Palace regulars who turned up for both games.

For those that don't know, Selhurst Park has staged a Full England International - way back in 1925 only a year after the ground opened - England played Wales on St Davids's Day that year and the Welsh won 3-1 (!).

in 1948 there were a couple of Olympic Games football matches at SP and Millwall had to play Newcastle in Div Two at Selhurst Park after one of their many ground closures because of crowd trouble at the Old Den back in the early 1950's!

I've also seen an U21 European Championship tie between Italy and Yugoslavia at SP in the early 1980's.

I saw this in an old Palace programme collection from 1967/68 the other day too - the programme is dated Saturday 16th March 1968 - FA Amateur Cup Semi Final:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9264/faacs68.jpghttp://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7521/faacs682.jpg


A very glum looking Dario at Centre Half for Sutton there - perhaps he was having a premonition of his time under Big Ron as Palace manager some 13 years later, which he still hasn't got over!
Sutton lost to Leytonstone in this match too!
P.S. To Granada and Big John - I know this an old thread, but I've just seen it - hello (ex) neighbours! I'm from a corner near your old manor (the clue is in my username) opposite the Esso. :hi:

stevek 02-05-2012 12:55 PM

Has anyone mentioned the Women's FA Cup Final being played at Selhurst (more than once, I think)?

Personally, the only non-Palace game I've seen at Selhurst was Wimbledon v Middlesbrough in the mid-2000s (my then girlfriend was a Boro fan).

Mark Gardiner 02-05-2012 01:21 PM

Ruptured my achilles tendon playing on Selhurst Park in May 2001. 13 weeks in plaster. Match was arranged by CMO and was about 25-a-side! Two Seat has a video shot by my old man.

Keenstonian 08-05-2012 03:38 PM

Primary Cup
 
Played at Selhurst Park in 1963 Primary Cup final for Whitehorse as we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Nelson Muntz 08-05-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONDONMAN

I saw this in an old Palace programme collection from 1967/68 the other day too - the programme is dated Saturday 16th March 1968 - FA Amateur Cup Semi Final:

Blimey, the ref came all the way from Leeds. That would never happen these days.

Stroud Eagle 08-05-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

kabbott 09-05-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

My first match at SP was also a primary school cup final for Gonville but I'm pretty sure it was a year earlier in 1968. (You say your year was the one and only time Gonville got to the final so I'm a bit mixed-up!:confused: ) I wasn't playing, it was my sister's year, and the school hired a double-decker bus for the occasion which was rigged out in the colours of the school team. I think we lost the game I watched but I'm not really sure. All I remember is that our keeper's name in the final I went to was Terry Humphries (his sister was in the same class as me.)
As for "my" cup run in the '71-'72 season, I think we got knocked out in the 1st round. :sob:
That match I went to was my one and only time in the Old Stand! I used to love our kit aswell. "The Tangerines"

King William 09-05-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

yes - primary school cup final. kept a clean sheet. 1980's

big bad John 09-05-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

Can you remember beating Winterbourne 2-0 or 3-1 on your way to the final that year? I played in the Bourn ter Win team the following year but I remember it being a big shock at school when Gonville knocked us out of the Primary.

joe walker 10-05-2012 12:43 PM

some England womens internationals and womens FA Cup finals were played at Selhurst during SJ's tenure

King William 10-05-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!


the cup final i played in was filmed.. got a tape and dvd copy of it now.... the h'dale: my dad and his mate were the only ones standing on it - all the other parents/school kids were in the main stand

Stroud Eagle 11-05-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott
My first match at SP was also a primary school cup final for Gonville but I'm pretty sure it was a year earlier in 1968. (You say your year was the one and only time Gonville got to the final so I'm a bit mixed-up!:confused: ) I wasn't playing, it was my sister's year, and the school hired a double-decker bus for the occasion which was rigged out in the colours of the school team. I think we lost the game I watched but I'm not really sure. All I remember is that our keeper's name in the final I went to was Terry Humphries (his sister was in the same class as me.)
As for "my" cup run in the '71-'72 season, I think we got knocked out in the 1st round. :sob:
That match I went to was my one and only time in the Old Stand! I used to love our kit aswell. "The Tangerines"


Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

TWOSEAT EAGLE 12-05-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner
Ruptured my achilles tendon playing on Selhurst Park in May 2001. 13 weeks in plaster. Match was arranged by CMO and was about 25-a-side! Two Seat has a video shot by my old man.

:D A brilliant day out for the rest of us though :p . I'd won a competition on the official club website but never received my prize, so I contacted the club and asked if, instead of the prize, I could arrange a game on the pitch for clients and staff from the Waylands Day Centre where I worked at that time (along with a few close friends to make up the numbers). The club were brilliant, allowing us to use the changing rooms, use the players lounge, laying on food for us all and providing kits etc.

The match ended up being about 25-a-side as Mark says, although many were physically disabled so just wandered around the pitch. At one point two of the clients with learning disabilities were actually trying to have sex down by the corner flag between the whitehorse and main stands :eek: I remember Mark suddenly went down clutching his leg and shouted for help but the only response he got from everyone was "GET UP YOU FECKING POOF!" and other comments to that effect, as no one realised how badly injured he really was.

And I banged in a volley from the halfway line directly into the goal at the Holmesdale end (although in fairness the goalie did only have one arm, artificial legs and was blind :D ) Good goal though, prompting Marks dad to quip "Bloody hell, it's Jan Molby!" and the whole game which finished about 15 all was caught by Marks dad on video - I wish I knew how to transfer it onto my laptop, I'd then post it on here. Some of the first team at that time also watched the game from the Holmesdale lower and shouted out encouragement etc and later signed shirts, scarves and other stuff for the people taking part,so all in all a good day out.

kabbott 12-05-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

Yes, he did. We lived around the corner in Silverleigh Rd. Did you know my sister Caroline and did you *cough* knock about with her? :D

Grassboy 12-05-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott
Yes, he did. We lived around the corner in Silverleigh Rd. Did you know my sister Caroline and did you *cough* knock about with her? :D

This is probably waaaaay before your time but my family use to live in Silverleigh Rd but had moved to the salubrious surroundings of Ballards Way in South Croydon by the time I came on the scene in 1962.......must try and find out from my sister what number it was.

DavidB 14-05-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

I'm going a bit off-topic for this thread because I watched one of the Gonville matches but didn't play in either. Kabbot and I had a conversation about the matches a year or so back: Stroud, there's a PM waiting for you.

TWOSEAT EAGLE 14-05-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOSEAT EAGLE
:D A brilliant day out for the rest of us though :p . I'd won a competition on the official club website but never received my prize, so I contacted the club and asked if, instead of the prize, I could arrange a game on the pitch for clients and staff from the Waylands Day Centre where I worked at that time (along with a few close friends to make up the numbers). The club were brilliant, allowing us to use the changing rooms, use the players lounge, laying on food for us all and providing kits etc.

The match ended up being about 25-a-side as Mark says, although many were physically disabled so just wandered around the pitch. At one point two of the clients with learning disabilities were actually trying to have sex down by the corner flag between the whitehorse and main stands :eek: I remember Mark suddenly went down clutching his leg and shouted for help but the only response he got from everyone was "GET UP YOU FECKING POOF!" and other comments to that effect, as no one realised how badly injured he really was.

And I banged in a volley from the halfway line directly into the goal at the Holmesdale end (although in fairness the goalie did only have one arm, artificial legs and was blind :D ) Good goal though, prompting Marks dad to quip "Bloody hell, it's Jan Molby!" and the whole game which finished about 15 all was caught by Marks dad on video - I wish I knew how to transfer it onto my laptop, I'd then post it on here. Some of the first team at that time also watched the game from the Holmesdale lower and shouted out encouragement etc and later signed shirts, scarves and other stuff for the people taking part,so all in all a good day out.

I just realised from looking at some photos that this all happened 11 years ago to the day today....bloody hell, how quick does time fly, my hair was brown not grey then and Mark Gardiner still HAD hair :D (sorry Mark ;) )

paul skinback 19-05-2012 12:11 PM

1982/83 (ish) I watched from the building site (Sainsbury's end) when Monks Hill 4th year played there. I got in mucho shit as i was banned from going and when spotted, the crowd chanted my name!!
Was really funny hearing 'our lot' singing, "you're gonna get you're ******* heads kicked in" to the oppo' fans sting 20 yards away. They were petrified and our teachers were livid. Lots of secret drinking and smoking wih the waft of some illegal too!

DaveTheGnome 14-02-2013 04:46 PM

Neutral games at selhurst
 
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Anyone know of selhurst being used for any other neutral matches ?

waddoneagle 14-02-2013 04:47 PM

Croydon v Millwall, FA Cup, 12k there

jone-zee 14-02-2013 04:49 PM

Wimbledon Leeds back in the 70's?

Bobby Woodruff 14-02-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jone-zee
Wimbledon Leeds back in the 70's?

Indeed, I was there - gate of over 40,000.

Garfy 14-02-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Woodruff
Indeed, I was there - gate of over 40,000.

It was bitterly cold & I remember it snowing. From memory Wimbledon lost one nil after a shot was deflected off Dave Bassett.

Nelson Muntz 14-02-2013 05:37 PM

.

thefox 14-02-2013 05:41 PM

1987 jeez I was there. Now feeling old.

Hasn't Selhurst been used for England school boys or womens football ?

palace4me 14-02-2013 05:47 PM

London Olympics football, (not the most recent one though)

PalaceBhoy 14-02-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTheGnome
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Anyone know of selhurst being used for any other neutral matches ?

I was at that game. Swindon had the whole Arthur Wait, seats and enclosure. It was quite a sight watching the whole of that stand going mental after their goals. Think they won 2-0 on the night. Gillinghams support was wank.

Chobham Eagle 14-02-2013 06:12 PM

I was at that Wimbledon - Leeds match. Can't believe how much I was supporting Wimbledon that night - even if it was against Leeds.

I think Dave Bassett was playing for Wimbledon in that match (as I see someone has already mentioned!)

Chobham Eagle 14-02-2013 06:13 PM

Wasn't there an England U23 game at SP in the mid-70s? I seem to remember going along because Peter Taylor was playing.

waddoneagle 14-02-2013 06:16 PM

When Mullery was there every game was Neutral

dave_who_ru 14-02-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle
Wasn't there an England U23 game at SP in the mid-70s? I seem to remember going along because Peter Taylor was playing.

1975 v Portugal. England won 2-0 and Peter Taylor scored in the first few minutes.

Ryan_the_eagle 14-02-2013 06:52 PM

Wasn't there a womens international or possibly cup final there at some point in the early to mid 2000's?

Edit: Womens cup finals were played at Selhurst between 2001 and 2003.

Mat ov CPFC 14-02-2013 07:01 PM

Swindon and Gillingham have a bitter rivalry with each other to this day.

cantspell 14-02-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTheGnome
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Anyone know of selhurst being used for any other neutral matches ?

I went to that game can't believe it was about 26 years ago

ed winchester 14-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTheGnome
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Anyone know of selhurst being used for any other neutral matches ?


There have been loads - perhaps the biggest was shortly after Selhurst Park opened in 1924 - we hosted a Full England International v Wales on St David's Day - Monday 1st March, 1925 - England 1 Wales 3.

old git 14-02-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru
1975 v Portugal. England won 2-0 and Peter Taylor scored in the first few minutes.

I could be wrong but didn't we also play czechoslovakia at Selhurst with Taylor scoring?

cantspell 14-02-2013 07:58 PM

Crowd at Selhurst was 18 500 and was bigger than either crowds at Swindon and Gillingham in the previous games

Raggy 14-02-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old git
I could be wrong but didn't we also play czechoslovakia at Selhurst with Taylor scoring?


There was certainly an England U18 game v Czechoslovakia. i have the programe somewhere.

Raggy 14-02-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTheGnome
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Off topic perhaps, but in what way is that neutral? 10x nearer the Gills

old git 14-02-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggy
There was certainly an England U18 game v Czechoslovakia. i have the programe somewhere.

Thanks, I am sure I have it in a box somewhere as well.:p

TOM EAGLES 14-02-2013 08:24 PM

Everton v Stoke F A Cup 3rd & 4th place match, 7th May 1971

Diehard 14-02-2013 08:37 PM

I was at the Gillingham Swindon game and secretly pleased that Swindon won 2-0 as I was with a mad keen Gill ( who is now mad keen Posh!!)

Also saw The Lambert and Butler 6 a side cricket tournament at Selhurst. Chris Tavare smashing sixes over the Arthur Wait...

Dorking .Eagle 14-02-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM EAGLES
Everton v Stoke F A Cup 3rd & 4th place match, 7th May 1971

There was a write up for that game in this seasons Stoke away programme. Game got a tiny attendance as not only was it totally pointless (who cares if you 'finish' 3rd or 4th, but also why play Everton v Stoke (both miles away) in South London???

ian king 14-02-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle
There was a write up for that game in this seasons Stoke away programme. Game got a tiny attendance as not only was it totally pointless (who cares if you 'finish' 3rd or 4th, but also why play Everton v Stoke (both miles away) in South London???

Played on the Friday evening before the Cup Final so I assume FA thought there might be interest. Done for about 5 seasons in the early 1970s then abandoned.

selhurstparkflyer 14-02-2013 09:08 PM

I went to the Croydon v Millwall game...1-1 iirc.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.