CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Other Football At Selhurst Park (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42144)

Granada allover 07-10-2003 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveTuttles
I played there twice for Cumnor House in the Croydon Cup Final, absolutely top class!! We used the baths/showers, changing rooms everything. Steve Kember was my manager though. Steve Coppell presented us with or winners medals. Ive still got the croydon advertsier photo of our team in front of the holmesdale with the cup. Perfect!!
Congrats Dave. How long ago was this?

Brett 07-10-2003 11:33 PM

Don't forget that England played a full international against Wales at Selhurst Park in 1926 (a 3-1 win for the visitors).

big bad John 08-10-2003 01:54 AM

Re: School matches at Selhurst Park
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
I remember bunking off early from Selhurst Grammar in 1967 to see a friend of mine play for Beulah primary in the local inter-school cup final one Wednesday afternoon. The old stand was packed in one section with kids from both schools and half the stand went crazy when Beulah scored (to win 1-0).

I was SO envious of my friend Keith Stannard playing on the sacred turf that day (I couldn't even get into the Winterbourne First XI).

It's made me wonder whether there were other school games back then - and whether any still happen today...

Anyone know?


yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.

Al From Bromley 08-10-2003 04:15 AM

Leeds Wimbledon cup match back in the Dickie Guy days...1974 I think.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 12:19 PM

Re: Re: School matches at Selhurst Park
 
Quote:

Originally posted by big bad John
yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.

Digging out six of the best from the Selhurst onion bags - an 'outstanding' memory!

And a spat between the schools! To quote Mottie, 'it just gets better and better and better...'

:lux:

big bad John 08-10-2003 01:19 PM

yeah granada, you must have been a thornton Heath boy if you went to winterbourne.

Lords Eagle 08-10-2003 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Leeds Wimbledon cup match back in the Dickie Guy days...1974 I think.
I was there standing in the Holmesdale, good night.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by big bad John
yeah granada, you must have been a thornton Heath boy if you went to winterbourne.
Fort Neef? Ya betcha. Born in Langdale Road, moved to Galpins Road, then on to Birdhurst Gardens in South Croydon. :p

FCM 08-10-2003 02:23 PM

Back in the sixties I went to an amateur cup semi a t Selhurst - Enfield versus Walthamstow Park Avenue i think it was!

DDD 08-10-2003 02:25 PM

there were some England u-23's..remember Peter Taylor playing for England in about 76 against Portugal

Al From Bromley 08-10-2003 02:29 PM

Yeah, was there for both U23's and also the Wimbledon Leeds game, and the Stoke Everton play off.

La Bombonera 08-10-2003 02:34 PM

Posted by firesign :
Quote:

I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.
Remember that one. Plenty of Palace fans turned out to cheer on Croydon.

Probably one of the very few times (aside from when he was with Leyton Orient particularly in the 1979 Palace promotion season) that Palace fans awaited with baited breath a gaff from John Jackson. Alas it never came.

moverman 08-10-2003 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

I've played a few times.

This photo is the most recent and shows me putting a free kick just over the bar

moverman 08-10-2003 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.......and getting subbed 5 minutes later.

Note the Holmesdale under construction.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moverman
I've played a few times.

This photo is the most recent and shows me putting a free kick just over the bar

Whooaaaah.......... Move over, it's Moverman.

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Did you ever actually (whispers)..... score?

moverman 08-10-2003 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover

Did you ever actually (whispers)..... score?

That was the nearest I got Granada.

They did have Nicky Johns in goal though.

Granada allover 08-10-2003 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moverman
That was the nearest I got Granada.

They did have Nicky Johns in goal though.

And you've got it on film... quality! Circa '94 by the look of the Holmesdale.

Bedge 08-10-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

I know of one member of the BBS that has played at Selhurst this year in the Palace vs Millwall charity game

his name is Bacon so ask him

moverman 08-10-2003 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more for you Granada.

note the beer can on top of the dug-out and Kember nowhere in sight.

Bedge 08-10-2003 09:35 PM

The closest i came to playing at Selhurst was taking a penalty in front of the Holmesdale back in may for the Charity game and surprise surprise I Missed lol


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.