CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Other Football At Selhurst Park (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42144)

Stroud Eagle 08-05-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

kabbott 09-05-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

My first match at SP was also a primary school cup final for Gonville but I'm pretty sure it was a year earlier in 1968. (You say your year was the one and only time Gonville got to the final so I'm a bit mixed-up!:confused: ) I wasn't playing, it was my sister's year, and the school hired a double-decker bus for the occasion which was rigged out in the colours of the school team. I think we lost the game I watched but I'm not really sure. All I remember is that our keeper's name in the final I went to was Terry Humphries (his sister was in the same class as me.)
As for "my" cup run in the '71-'72 season, I think we got knocked out in the 1st round. :sob:
That match I went to was my one and only time in the Old Stand! I used to love our kit aswell. "The Tangerines"

King William 09-05-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granada allover

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

yes - primary school cup final. kept a clean sheet. 1980's

big bad John 09-05-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!

Can you remember beating Winterbourne 2-0 or 3-1 on your way to the final that year? I played in the Bourn ter Win team the following year but I remember it being a big shock at school when Gonville knocked us out of the Primary.

joe walker 10-05-2012 12:43 PM

some England womens internationals and womens FA Cup finals were played at Selhurst during SJ's tenure

King William 10-05-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Have just noticed this thread.I played in the 1969 primary school cup final for Gonville v Spring Park.We drew 1-1 after extra time and shared the cup for 6 months each.I scored our goal in the holmesdale end.
My dads best mate filmed the game on an old 45mm camera.It lasts about 5 minutes,and he missed the goal.It was the first and last time gonville made it to the final.I had it put onto a video cassette which i put on every so many years.I rang Gonville about five years ago to see if they were interested in having a copy.Wished i hadnt bothered.They didnt give a toss.THE HOLMESDALE END .SOME THINGS ARE PRICELESS!


the cup final i played in was filmed.. got a tape and dvd copy of it now.... the h'dale: my dad and his mate were the only ones standing on it - all the other parents/school kids were in the main stand

Stroud Eagle 11-05-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott
My first match at SP was also a primary school cup final for Gonville but I'm pretty sure it was a year earlier in 1968. (You say your year was the one and only time Gonville got to the final so I'm a bit mixed-up!:confused: ) I wasn't playing, it was my sister's year, and the school hired a double-decker bus for the occasion which was rigged out in the colours of the school team. I think we lost the game I watched but I'm not really sure. All I remember is that our keeper's name in the final I went to was Terry Humphries (his sister was in the same class as me.)
As for "my" cup run in the '71-'72 season, I think we got knocked out in the 1st round. :sob:
That match I went to was my one and only time in the Old Stand! I used to love our kit aswell. "The Tangerines"


Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

TWOSEAT EAGLE 12-05-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner
Ruptured my achilles tendon playing on Selhurst Park in May 2001. 13 weeks in plaster. Match was arranged by CMO and was about 25-a-side! Two Seat has a video shot by my old man.

:D A brilliant day out for the rest of us though :p . I'd won a competition on the official club website but never received my prize, so I contacted the club and asked if, instead of the prize, I could arrange a game on the pitch for clients and staff from the Waylands Day Centre where I worked at that time (along with a few close friends to make up the numbers). The club were brilliant, allowing us to use the changing rooms, use the players lounge, laying on food for us all and providing kits etc.

The match ended up being about 25-a-side as Mark says, although many were physically disabled so just wandered around the pitch. At one point two of the clients with learning disabilities were actually trying to have sex down by the corner flag between the whitehorse and main stands :eek: I remember Mark suddenly went down clutching his leg and shouted for help but the only response he got from everyone was "GET UP YOU FECKING POOF!" and other comments to that effect, as no one realised how badly injured he really was.

And I banged in a volley from the halfway line directly into the goal at the Holmesdale end (although in fairness the goalie did only have one arm, artificial legs and was blind :D ) Good goal though, prompting Marks dad to quip "Bloody hell, it's Jan Molby!" and the whole game which finished about 15 all was caught by Marks dad on video - I wish I knew how to transfer it onto my laptop, I'd then post it on here. Some of the first team at that time also watched the game from the Holmesdale lower and shouted out encouragement etc and later signed shirts, scarves and other stuff for the people taking part,so all in all a good day out.

kabbott 12-05-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

Yes, he did. We lived around the corner in Silverleigh Rd. Did you know my sister Caroline and did you *cough* knock about with her? :D

Grassboy 12-05-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott
Yes, he did. We lived around the corner in Silverleigh Rd. Did you know my sister Caroline and did you *cough* knock about with her? :D

This is probably waaaaay before your time but my family use to live in Silverleigh Rd but had moved to the salubrious surroundings of Ballards Way in South Croydon by the time I came on the scene in 1962.......must try and find out from my sister what number it was.

DavidB 14-05-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroud Eagle
Just checked the discoloured croydon advertiser April 4th 1969.I used to knock about with Terry Humphries.Didnt he live in galpins road?

I'm going a bit off-topic for this thread because I watched one of the Gonville matches but didn't play in either. Kabbot and I had a conversation about the matches a year or so back: Stroud, there's a PM waiting for you.

TWOSEAT EAGLE 14-05-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOSEAT EAGLE
:D A brilliant day out for the rest of us though :p . I'd won a competition on the official club website but never received my prize, so I contacted the club and asked if, instead of the prize, I could arrange a game on the pitch for clients and staff from the Waylands Day Centre where I worked at that time (along with a few close friends to make up the numbers). The club were brilliant, allowing us to use the changing rooms, use the players lounge, laying on food for us all and providing kits etc.

The match ended up being about 25-a-side as Mark says, although many were physically disabled so just wandered around the pitch. At one point two of the clients with learning disabilities were actually trying to have sex down by the corner flag between the whitehorse and main stands :eek: I remember Mark suddenly went down clutching his leg and shouted for help but the only response he got from everyone was "GET UP YOU FECKING POOF!" and other comments to that effect, as no one realised how badly injured he really was.

And I banged in a volley from the halfway line directly into the goal at the Holmesdale end (although in fairness the goalie did only have one arm, artificial legs and was blind :D ) Good goal though, prompting Marks dad to quip "Bloody hell, it's Jan Molby!" and the whole game which finished about 15 all was caught by Marks dad on video - I wish I knew how to transfer it onto my laptop, I'd then post it on here. Some of the first team at that time also watched the game from the Holmesdale lower and shouted out encouragement etc and later signed shirts, scarves and other stuff for the people taking part,so all in all a good day out.

I just realised from looking at some photos that this all happened 11 years ago to the day today....bloody hell, how quick does time fly, my hair was brown not grey then and Mark Gardiner still HAD hair :D (sorry Mark ;) )

paul skinback 19-05-2012 12:11 PM

1982/83 (ish) I watched from the building site (Sainsbury's end) when Monks Hill 4th year played there. I got in mucho shit as i was banned from going and when spotted, the crowd chanted my name!!
Was really funny hearing 'our lot' singing, "you're gonna get you're ******* heads kicked in" to the oppo' fans sting 20 yards away. They were petrified and our teachers were livid. Lots of secret drinking and smoking wih the waft of some illegal too!

DaveTheGnome 14-02-2013 04:46 PM

Neutral games at selhurst
 
Just seen that swindon v gillingham playoff final replay in 1987 was played at selhurst

Anyone know of selhurst being used for any other neutral matches ?

waddoneagle 14-02-2013 04:47 PM

Croydon v Millwall, FA Cup, 12k there

jone-zee 14-02-2013 04:49 PM

Wimbledon Leeds back in the 70's?

Bobby Woodruff 14-02-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jone-zee
Wimbledon Leeds back in the 70's?

Indeed, I was there - gate of over 40,000.

Garfy 14-02-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Woodruff
Indeed, I was there - gate of over 40,000.

It was bitterly cold & I remember it snowing. From memory Wimbledon lost one nil after a shot was deflected off Dave Bassett.

Nelson Muntz 14-02-2013 05:37 PM

.

thefox 14-02-2013 05:41 PM

1987 jeez I was there. Now feeling old.

Hasn't Selhurst been used for England school boys or womens football ?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.