CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

the digger 12-01-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the digger (Post 14049578)
People who tell you the considerate, group-minded thing they thought about doing before deciding to do the selfish act they did.

This could also have gone on the "things people think having kids entitles them to" thread, but I can't be bothered to search for it.

Hedgehog 13-01-2018 12:36 AM

I was asked to fax a document to an insurance company today (the use of a fax in 2018 is another whole post). I do not have faxing capability at home, so took the 25 page document first to a FedEx store. They wanted $2.50 a sheet, or $62.50 all in. I politely declined and said I would look at Plan B. Next went to the UPS store and was quoted pretty much the same. On to Staples that wanted $2.99 a sheet!

I got home, and sent an e-mail to the insurance company with a .pdf attachment of the file in hope some nice person there sees the light, but I'm not holding my breath.

The most annoying thing is, I'm pretty sure a) they already had this document, and b) the update to their website seems to have reverted all my information back to old information.

It's a tough life.

Wayne Andrews is God 13-01-2018 01:33 AM

When did the expression ‘take away’ become ‘take out’ everyone says it now even my Brother and Dad, even though we used to say take away years ago in the family home.

People get infected with Americam language, do they feel like they are in New York or something? It’s a ******* take away...

Palace Yankee 13-01-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14049915)
When did the expression ‘take away’ become ‘take out’ everyone says it now even my Brother and Dad, even though we used to say take away years ago in the family home.

People get infected with Americam language, do they feel like they are in New York or something? It’s a ******* take away...

It goes both ways. I heard a man described as "crackers" the other day. I live in Chicago. I've also heard "on holiday" and "in hospital" by natives.

Hedgehog 13-01-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14049915)
When did the expression ‘take away’ become ‘take out’ everyone says it now even my Brother and Dad, even though we used to say take away years ago in the family home.

People get infected with Americam language, do they feel like they are in New York or something? It’s a ******* take away...

Crap... it's taken me 36 years to learn to say "Take Out" over here, now you are telling me it's changing over there?

Hedgehog 13-01-2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace Yankee (Post 14049918)
It goes both ways. I heard a man described as "crackers" the other day. I live in Chicago. I've also heard "on holiday" and "in hospital" by natives.

Wanker is catching on also...

Wayne Andrews is God 13-01-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14049919)
Crap... it's taken me 36 years to learn to say "Take Out" over here, now you are telling me it's changing over there?

Something I have noticed the last 5 years with great dismay.

Its been 10 years since people stopped saying ‘can I have’ everyone says ‘can I get’ .... I want to ram their head into the counter if Im standing in the queue behind them and whisper in their ear ‘it’s can I have’ .... something simple like that.

Wayne Andrews is God 13-01-2018 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace Yankee (Post 14049918)
It goes both ways. I heard a man described as "crackers" the other day. I live in Chicago. I've also heard "on holiday" and "in hospital" by natives.

What do they say if you go to hospital?

Wayne Andrews is God 13-01-2018 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14049919)
Crap... it's taken me 36 years to learn to say "Take Out" over here, now you are telling me it's changing over there?

I salute you for keeping it real for 36 years.

Hedgehog 13-01-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14049941)
What do they say if you go to hospital?

Personally I think I now say "The" hospital, be it in it or going to it.

Is that English or American? I'm really confused these days.

Palace Yankee 13-01-2018 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14049941)
What do they say if you go to hospital?

In the hospital. Always the "the".

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-01-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14049939)
Something I have noticed the last 5 years with great dismay.

Its been 10 years since people stopped saying ‘can I have’ everyone says ‘can I get’ .... I want to ram their head into the counter if Im standing in the queue behind them and whisper in their ear ‘it’s can I have’ .... something simple like that.

Why is it 'can I have'?

Ron Dodgers 13-01-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14050164)
Why is it 'can I have'?

Precisely. It should be "May I have".

CK 13-01-2018 10:43 AM

I suspect " can I get" implies that you will leap over the counter and make yourself a coffee etc...

art malice 13-01-2018 10:44 AM

‘Mac and cheese’ as well. Fvck off

wedgetail 13-01-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14049878)
I was asked to fax a document to an insurance company today (the use of a fax in 2018 is another whole post). I do not have faxing capability at home, so took the 25 page document first to a FedEx store. They wanted $2.50 a sheet, or $62.50 all in. I politely declined and said I would look at Plan B. Next went to the UPS store and was quoted pretty much the same. On to Staples that wanted $2.99 a sheet!

I got home, and sent an e-mail to the insurance company with a .pdf attachment of the file in hope some nice person there sees the light, but I'm not holding my breath.

The most annoying thing is, I'm pretty sure a) they already had this document, and b) the update to their website seems to have reverted all my information back to old information.

It's a tough life.

More to the point the company will almost certainly have an automatic process that converts the fax to pdf.

wedgetail 13-01-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dodgers (Post 14050176)
Precisely. It should be "May I have".

What happen to could I have or even please could I have.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-01-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 14050179)
I suspect " can I get" implies that you will leap over the counter and make yourself a coffee etc...

Just as 'can I' in general implies that you're asking someone if a task is possible.

Unless you're addressing the Queen or something, most restaurant or retail interactions are largely informal, and as long as you get the message across and politely enough, it surely doesn't matter.

All this stuff has more to do with an irrational fear of 'Americanisms' than anything else. Not sure why. Perhaps 'kids' saying 'can I have' in 1974 were being berated similarly.

Mr Statto 13-01-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BASING EAGLE (Post 14045334)
The use of kilometres, I have no idea what you are talking about. I like watching wildlife programmes on the tv but when they give facts out like this animal can run a 40 kmh or can fly 100 kilometres a day I just can’t visualise what that is. I know what a mile is, I know what 40 mph is I can relate to that it is what my car says I’m doing. Who in the uk uses kilometres?

I do in relation to running, but that's it. Easy conversion is multiply by 5 & divide by 8

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 13-01-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Statto (Post 14050216)
I do in relation to running, but that's it. Easy conversion is multiply by 5 & divide by 8

Or divide KM by 10 and times by 6 :)

Fuel consumption is the one I struggle with, converting mpg to l/100km.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.