CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

Dave 03-03-2009 08:00 AM

Well if you have your music on a different PC from itunes or on a network share it's bollox.

Even if you stop Itunes from organising your music it's still very hit and miss.

I'd gladly never use it again.

James 03-03-2009 09:05 AM

That's the point Kevin - iTunes is fine if all your music is one one PC. However, I have stuff on my laptop which I can't transfer to the iPhone without, apparently, syncing the iPhone to the laptop ... which would involve losing most of the mp3s on my iPhone.

Also, my Son's iPod touch is synced to his laptop - so when he asks me to load something from my PC, I have to copy it to his laptop first. It's really poor.

None of this applies with Winamp. It's easy simply to drag and drop files onto either iPod without any messing around.

Kevin T 03-03-2009 09:09 AM

Fair enough.

Slough Eagle 03-03-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
Do you love your iPhone but hate iTunes? Now there is an alternative, that works brilliantly with Vista.

You will need to download the latest version of winamp (free version) and get the 3.08 (or higher) ml_ipod plugin.

Then it's just a question of dragging and dropping mp3 files (or whatever) onto your IPhone 3g. You can create and edit playlists; change the order of tracks; add or delete tracks; copy files from your iPhone to your PC etc etc. When you are done, simply click on 'Eject' to sync with your iPhone and you are done!

James, can you still use iTunes after syncing your iPhone with winamp?, If so I will try this out. Also is this the same for syncing movies as well with winamp?

Heb 7:4 03-03-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
That's the point Kevin - iTunes is fine if all your music is one one PC. However, I have stuff on my laptop which I can't transfer to the iPhone without, apparently, syncing the iPhone to the laptop ... which would involve losing most of the mp3s on my iPhone.

Also, my Son's iPod touch is synced to his laptop - so when he asks me to load something from my PC, I have to copy it to his laptop first. It's really poor.

None of this applies with Winamp. It's easy simply to drag and drop files onto either iPod without any messing around.

This isn't correct James? Turn off syncing and you can put stuff from any computer onto your iPod no problem. I'm always plugging my iPod into my g/f's computer and taking tracks (and she does the same). What you can't do is take stuff off of your iPod and put it onto various computers (so I can't plug my iPod into her computer, take a track, then plug it into my computer and download that track to my computer). Though if you want to do this you can simply use a programme called iDump :)

Dave 03-03-2009 10:13 AM

Iphone doesn't support 'disk mode'

Heb 7:4 03-03-2009 10:32 AM

Is that what it is? I just tick a box called "manually sync" but yes, I am not doing it on the Jesus phone :(

PalaceMonkey 03-03-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4
This isn't correct James? Turn off syncing and you can put stuff from any computer onto your iPod no problem.

Using iTunes?

jolly 03-03-2009 10:39 AM

Great iphone site "south park mobile" you can watch any episode free on your phone :) there is a family guy one as well

Heb 7:4 03-03-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey
Using iTunes?

Yeah, I only use iTunes for my iPod. No problem using both my misses computer and mine, and a laptop. It's just if you want the tunes to go the other way (iPod to computer) you need to use iDump, but I rarely want to do that anyway.

PalaceMonkey 03-03-2009 10:46 AM

I just tried to set iTunes to manual sync on my work pc, but it threatened to delete all my songs on the iPhone :(


will investigate winamp , looks good

James 03-03-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4
Is that what it is? I just tick a box called "manually sync" but yes, I am not doing it on the Jesus phone :(

This is the iPhone thread!

I am quite aware that it doesn't apply to other iPods. My wife has a Nano, and that supports disk mode, so it's easy to drop anything on it using any PC. However, that does not apply to the iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slough Eagle
James, can you still use iTunes after syncing your iPhone with winamp?, If so I will try this out. Also is this the same for syncing movies as well with winamp?

Yes, you can keep your iPhpne synced with iTunes (obviously I do this, to keep up to date with applications etc) and that is not affected when you use Winamp. You can do a sync with Winamp (although I haven't tried that as syncing would replace my library with my Winmp library, which is different). However, you don't need to sync using Winamp. Simply drag the files you want into one of the Playlist folders on your iPhone, then click on 'Eject' and only the files you have selected will be transferred. Nothing else is touched.

It works just as well with (iPhone compatible) movies.

Slough Eagle 03-03-2009 12:11 PM

Cheers James, won't get a chance tonight as down selhurst.....but will try tomorrow evening for sure :p

Incognito 03-03-2009 07:26 PM

I know this question may have been asked a billion times but I would rather ask people who use the phone constantly rather than look at a random review. I am seriously considering getting a 16gb iphone. The real problem for me would be battery life.

I work nights so would have the ipod part running for 6 hours every night, I would perhaps have an hour phone call and may want to browse the web during lunch. My question is would the phone be able to handle this or am I looking at it passing out with strain after about 5 hours?

Any replies would be very welcome as I know you are all a very knowledgeable bunch and it is a lot of money for me to potentially spend.

Smoz 03-03-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito
I know this question may have been asked a billion times but I would rather ask people who use the phone constantly rather than look at a random review. I am seriously considering getting a 16gb iphone. The real problem for me would be battery life.

I work nights so would have the ipod part running for 6 hours every night, I would perhaps have an hour phone call and may want to browse the web during lunch. My question is would the phone be able to handle this or am I looking at it passing out with strain after about 5 hours?

Any replies would be very welcome as I know you are all a very knowledgeable bunch and it is a lot of money for me to potentially spend.


Can't help you on battery life as I only have an ipod touch, not an iphone but do you have a computer at work? The iphone will charge from its USB port.

Kevin T 03-03-2009 07:38 PM

Do you work with a PC?

Incognito 03-03-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz
Can't help you on battery life as I only have an ipod touch, not an iphone but do you have a computer at work? The iphone will charge from its USB port.


Yeah, I do have access to a USB port but I would not be near it all of the time. I would not want to run the risk of it getting nicked. I am also travelling a bit this year, so would like to know if I could get perhaps a couple of days out of it. I appreciate the response though :)

Kevin T 03-03-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito
so would like to know if I could get perhaps a couple of days out of it.

I'd say that's a negative. Although how much of it is the fact that the battery life is crap, and how much of it is that it's just such a cool device that you can't stop playing with it, I don't know :)

It hold's it's charge fine when it's sitting in your pocket doing nothing. I find I just don't charge it in the same way I have done with previous phones. I have a cable at home plugged into my PC, a cable at work and one in my car. Rather than give it one good charge a day, over night or whatever, I just top up throughout the day, depending on where I am. You just learn to manage it.

Ridcully 03-03-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Well if you have your music on a different PC from itunes or on a network share it's bollox.

Even if you stop Itunes from organising your music it's still very hit and miss.

I'd gladly never use it again.

I understand the multiple PC thing but don't get the network share, all of mines on a network share, itunes is just setup to point to the network share, works fine. Agree though is a clumsy application.

Ridcully 03-03-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
That's the point Kevin - iTunes is fine if all your music is one one PC. However, I have stuff on my laptop which I can't transfer to the iPhone without, apparently, syncing the iPhone to the laptop ... which would involve losing most of the mp3s on my iPhone.

Also, my Son's iPod touch is synced to his laptop - so when he asks me to load something from my PC, I have to copy it to his laptop first. It's really poor.

None of this applies with Winamp. It's easy simply to drag and drop files onto either iPod without any messing around.

This is why all the music in my family is on one network share, the mini is the master itunes and the devices are all just playlists on that mini. That way whatever music comes into the house just gets dumped to the one server and the idevices sync with the mini. All the PCs round the house share the library on the shared drive. Its not great but it works.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.