CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iphone users (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163583)

Dave 17-09-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
I got my IPhone yesterday - signed an 18 month contract and paid 59 extra for the 16gb model.

It's great fun - but boy am I frustrated trying to get movies onto it. I would have thought that a modern, top of the range, media device like this would be able to cope with a DivX encoded file without any problem .... but no. I am having to convert all my movie files to IPod compatible MP4 format before ITunes will let me load them into the device.

It's also frustrating not to have a simple 'drag and drop' facility. Why does every file have to go via the ITunes setup?

Is a commercial decision, if it supported Xvid then less people would buy from the Itunes store.

Here is a nice tip though, downloading from BBC Iplayer gives you nice high quality Quicktime files that your Iphone will love. Don't ask me how to download on a windows machine, I only know the Linux and Mac way.

Also, on my mac I can drag and drop films into itunes, not sure if this is possible in windows...

disco mixx kidd 17-09-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
I got my IPhone yesterday - signed an 18 month contract and paid 59 extra for the 16gb model.


i phoned them up for the same deal and they offered me
20 a month 1200 minutes 1000 txt unlimited web browsing
no contract

all if i kept my current phone which im quite happy with

times are tight so im gonna go with this til the urge to upgrade gets to much

wickham_eagle 17-09-2008 04:15 PM

Have seen the light and getting 16GB Iphone with my upgrade at start of October hopefully will try and haggle the phone free from them and is it also worh getting insurance for the phone ? or am i covered under apples warranty ?

sheriff 17-09-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wickham_eagle
Have seen the light and getting 16GB Iphone with my upgrade at start of October hopefully will try and haggle the phone free from them and is it also worh getting insurance for the phone ? or am i covered under apples warranty ?
When I tried the old haggle they stated that apple would not allow them to change the price of phone or contract. Try by all means but maybe go for free accessories?

Ridcully 17-09-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
I got my IPhone yesterday - signed an 18 month contract and paid 59 extra for the 16gb model.

It's great fun - but boy am I frustrated trying to get movies onto it. I would have thought that a modern, top of the range, media device like this would be able to cope with a DivX encoded file without any problem .... but no. I am having to convert all my movie files to IPod compatible MP4 format before ITunes will let me load them into the device.

It's also frustrating not to have a simple 'drag and drop' facility. Why does every file have to go via the ITunes setup?

Get airsharing as i said earlier then you can drag and drop

wickham_eagle 17-09-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheriff
When I tried the old haggle they stated that apple would not allow them to change the price of phone or contract. Try by all means but maybe go for free accessories?

yeh will try that and maybe get free insurance or a added bolt on

Axie 18-09-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cpfc121
when the message pops up about erasing press cancell then

on the iphone device page at the buttom underneath the picture of the iphone should be a options section

uncheck the one that says "Automatically sync when this iphone is connected"


then click on the info tab at the top next to summary then select what you want to sync then press apply ( all done ) thats how i do mine

This seems to work - pressing cancel when the erase dialog box comes up and then sync although it does automatically uncheck the manual manage music checkbox so I just assume I'll have to be careful. Thanks for help.

Axie 19-09-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
Here is a nice tip though, downloading from BBC Iplayer gives you nice high quality Quicktime files that your Iphone will love. Don't ask me how to download on a windows machine, I only know the Linux and Mac way.
What format do downloads from Iplayer come in from Linux/Mac ? windows are wmv format when I try and convert to mp4 they just crash.

Dave 19-09-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Axie
What format do downloads from Iplayer come in from Linux/Mac ? windows are wmv format when I try and convert to mp4 they just crash.
file "Panorama - Terror in the Skies.mov"
Panorama - Terror in the Skies.mov: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie

James 20-09-2008 07:57 AM

OK - I have had my IPhone for a few days now, and broadly I am happy with it, but there are a few niggles.

First, as I mentioned earlier, many common movie files (including DivX) are not recognised.

Secondly, there is no way of using the BBC 'Listen Again' service. There is a beta version of the BBC IPlayer, but that only works with a WiFi connection.

Third, many applications seem to crash. I recognise that this is probably the fault of the application authors, rather than the machine itself, but nevertheless it's frustrating.

Fourth, at times the IPhone seems sluggish, taking time to respond to a command (key press etc).

Fifth, no easy access to the drive (i.e. drag and drop). I installed the airsharing application - but I couldn't get this to work on Vista. Curiously, typing the IP address into my browser connected and showed a couple of folders on the IPhone - but no way to access them.

Ridcully 20-09-2008 08:39 AM

James, on the mac I connect to the iPhone through the windows equivalent of explored, is you map the ip address as a drive not browse it through a browser. On the iPhone you can then just touch the folder to see what's inside it, works really well. You just drag and drop to the drive on the mac through browser and then point at the file on the iPhone. Any format the mac supports can then be used. So QuickTime files office and PDFs are all easily accessed.

Ridcully 20-09-2008 08:43 AM

app stability and the sluggishness you describe were much improved for me since the 2.1 upgrade, have you downloaded it yet. Apologies for the incorrect words on the post above the autocorrect ok typing from the phone gets me occaisionally

MatthewT 20-09-2008 09:30 AM

James, the airshare programme does work on vista. to get into the folders on your computer i had to right click on them in the panel on the left side of the screen and explore them

James 20-09-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MatthewT
James, the airshare programme does work on vista. to get into the folders on your computer i had to right click on them in the panel on the left side of the screen and explore them
OK - I have cracked it. It's a known problem with Vista, but easily solved by installing THIS file sharing update from Microsoft.
Quote:

Originally posted by Ridcully
app stability and the sluggishness you describe were much improved for me since the 2.1 upgrade, have you downloaded it yet. Apologies for the incorrect words on the post above the autocorrect ok typing from the phone gets me occaisionally
Yes - it was the first thing I did when I got home!

James 24-09-2008 02:12 PM

I wonder if one of you can help me?

So far, I have been using my IPhone touch using WiFi (because there is no 3g signal here in Ewhurst). However, I was in Woking last night, where there was a strong 3g signal - but using Safari was awful. I managed to get a single page loaded in about 5 minutes - and after that I was getting server not responding errors. I tried several WebSites (including the BBC, the BBS, Wikipedia and Amazon).

I checked that I was connected using 3g (I was) and tried switching off and on again a few times.

Am I missing something obvious?

Dave 24-09-2008 02:39 PM

Not very helpful but sometimes 3G may appear to have a strong signal when the reality is that it's very weak. This is compounded by 02s network.

In these scenarios it can be easier to switch to edge.

Dave 24-09-2008 02:49 PM

Oh and James - on demand on the Iphone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...adio_show.html

James 24-09-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
Oh and James - on demand on the Iphone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...adio_show.html

Fantastic! It works very well.

... but what about live streaming? Is that available?
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
Not very helpful but sometimes 3G may appear to have a strong signal when the reality is that it's very weak. This is compounded by 02s network.

In these scenarios it can be easier to switch to edge.

Is that a case of switching from O2-3g to just o2? I tried that and the speed was the same (i.e. non existent).

Dave 24-09-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

... but what about live streaming? Is that available?
I believe there are third party apps that will allow you to stream live, these have the restriction of having to be be active in memory, so when using them you can't use anything else
Quote:

Is that a case of switching from O2-3g to just o2? I tried that and the speed was the same (i.e. non existent).
Yopu can disable 3G in settings --> general --> network

James 25-09-2008 07:58 PM

I am SO tempted to Jailbreak my 3g - and have downloaded all the necessary files and guides ... but I am nervous. Has anyone here done this to a new 3g IPhone who could perhaps give me some confidence (or, conversely, persuade me not to do it)?

The Iphone is one of the most frustrating gadgets I have ever owned - so much potential constrained by hardware restrictions.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.