Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2021, 10:48 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
Serious question. Should "Remainers" now be referred to as "Rejoiners" ?

I also recently read an article that a poll suggested that should we have another referendum the majority who responded said they would vote not to 're join the EU. Although the figures were close something like 49% to stay out 43% to re join with 8% undecided which was interesting.

Therefore should we have a new referendum and if so how would you vote ?
I'll bite. As a remain voter I would actually be very reluctant to have a referendum again for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the pain, angst, division and creation of open wounds by the last process will continue and never heal because the divide is so wide. Just continuing to pick at the scab will create more infection.

Secondly, if we were to vote to rejoin, the terms would be so far away from what we left on that they would become unacceptable - joining the Euro, lack of veto and lower rebates come immediately to mind.

Thirdly, the EU itself, while still a worthy venture, has huge internal issues that seem to be getting worse, such as popularism in Eastern Europe (and other traditionally liberal countries like Denmark).

Given that we have now left, there seems little point in going through it all again until we see what the EU itself is going to become in the next decade and a far better solution is to get someone competent and intelligent (eg not Lord Frost) to reenter negotiations to improve the treaty we have in so many areas where it has been shaped by blind dogma at the expense of economic and social reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019