View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
That is a very good point - there was certainly a feel of make or break about that season, with the fear that our prized assets might move on if we ended up in the second division for yet another season. We were languishing in mid-table and well off the pace as late as March, then the amazing run started with 11 wins and 2 draws in our last 15 regular season games (inevitably, one of the two defeats was against Shrewsbury). Would the players have been as motivated to keep that run going if there were no play-offs and the prospects of getting to third place (at least in the early stages of that run) were so remote?

I also remember that around that time Ian Wright surprisingly put pen to paper on a new contract, this was seen as a real statement of intent that now was the time to get the club moving and it was a massive show of faith from him (this was back in the days when a player's contract still had some meaning!)
I remember going to Barnsley away around Feb/March. They had a start striker at the time (can't remember his name) and it was billed at the match up between him and Wright. We drew 1-1 and at the time I thought any chance we had of making a promotion bid had pretty much disappeared.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk